WhatsApp is beginning to roll out a new feature that will provide its two billion users the option to encrypt their chat history backup in iCloud or Google Drive, patching a major loophole that has been exploited by governments to obtain and review private communication between individuals.
WhatsApp has long encrypted chats between users on its app. But users have had no means to protect the backup of those chats stored in the cloud. (For iPhone users, the chat history is stored in iCloud, and Android users rely on Google Drive.)
It has been widely reported that law enforcement agencies across the globe have been able to access the private communications between suspect individuals on WhatsApp by exploiting this loophole.
WhatsApp, which processes over 100 billion messages a day, is closing that weak link, and tells TechCrunch that its providing this new feature to users in every market where the app is operational. The feature is optional, the company said.(Its not uncommon for companies to withhold privacy features for legal and regulatory reasons. Apples new encrypted browsing feature isnt available to users in certain authoritarian regimes, such as China, Belarus, Egypt, Kazakhstan, Saudi Arabia, Turkmenistan, Uganda and the Philippines.)
Mark Zuckerberg, founder and chief executive of Facebook, noted that WhatsApp is the first global messaging service at this scale to offer end-to-end encrypted messaging and backups. Proud of the team for continuing to lead on security for your private conversations, he wrote in a post on his Facebook page.
WhatsApp began testing the feature with a small group of users last month. The company devised a system to enable WhatsApp users on Android and iOS to lock their chat backups with encryption keys. WhatsApp says it will offer users two ways to encrypt their cloud backups.
Users on WhatsApp will see an option to generate a 64-digit encryption key to protect their chat backups in the cloud. Users can store the encryption key offline or in a password manager of their choice, or they can create a password that backs up their encryption key in a cloud-based backup key vault that WhatsApp has developed. The cloud-stored encryption key cant be used without the users password, which isnt known to WhatsApp.
While end-to-end encrypted messages you send and receive are stored on your device, many people also want a way to back up their chats in case they lose their phone, the company wrote in a blog post.
The feature can be accessible by navigating to Settings > Chats > Chat Backups > End-to-End Encrypted Backup (Image Credits: WhatsApp)
As we wrote last month, the move to introduce this additional layer of privacy is significant and one that can have far-reaching implications.
End-to-end encryption remains a thorny topic of discussion as governments across the globe continue to lobby for backdoors. Apple was pressured to not add encryption to iCloud Backups after the FBI complained, according to Reuters, and while Google has offered users the ability to encrypt their data stored in Google Drive, the company reportedly didnt tell governments before it rolled out the feature.
India, WhatsApps biggest market by users, has introduced a new law that requires the company to devise a way to make traceability of questionable messages possible. WhatsApp has sued the Indian government over this new mandate, and said such a requirement effectively mandates a new form of mass surveillance.
The U.K. government which isnt exactly a fan of encryption recentlyasked messaging apps to not use end-to-end encryption for kids accounts. Elsewhere in the world, Australia passed controversial laws three years ago that are designed to force tech companies to provide police and security agencies access to encrypted chats.
WhatsApp declined to discuss whether it had consulted with lawmakers or government agencies about the new feature.
Privacy-focused organizations including Electronic Frontier Foundation have lauded WhatsApps move.
This privacy win from Facebook-owned WhatsApp is striking in its contrast to Apple, which has been under fire recently for its plans for on-device scanning of photos that minors send on Messages, as well as of every photo that any Apple user uploads to iCloud. While Apple has paused to consider more feedback on its plans, theres still no sign that they will include fixing one of its longstanding privacy pitfalls: no effective encryption across iCloud backups, the organization wrote.
WhatsApp is raising the bar, and Apple and others should follow suit.
See original here:
WhatsApp now lets users encrypt their chat backups in the cloud - TechCrunch
- Metas Biggest Encrypted Messaging Mistake Was Its Promise - WIRED - December 3rd, 2021
- VeraCrypt 1.25 drops Windows 8.1 and 7, and Mac OS 10.8 and earlier support - Ghacks Technology News - December 3rd, 2021
- GBT is Enhancing qTerm's Cybersecurity Technology to Provide a Higher Level of Data Protection For its Users - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2021
- NTT Announces Partnership With University Of Technology Sydney To Promote Smarter, Safer And More Secure Cities And First POC For Attribute-Based... - December 3rd, 2021
- What is Encryption? Definition, Types & Benefits | Fortinet - November 29th, 2021
- Decentralising end-to-end encryption with a new security protocol - The Hindu - November 29th, 2021
- Device encryption in Windows - November 29th, 2021
- How to Enable end-to-end Encryption for one-to-one Calls in Microsoft Teams - BollyInside - November 29th, 2021
- How the 5G industrial IoT will change different verticals - IT Brief New Zealand - November 29th, 2021
- Boxcryptor protects business data in Microsoft Teams with end-to-end encryption features - Help Net Security - November 25th, 2021
- NordLocker goes mobile: Encrypt your files on iOS and Android now with 60% off - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2021
- How Does End-To-End Encryption Works In WhatsApp? - Wales247 - November 25th, 2021
- Email Encryption Market Research Report by Type, by Component, by Industry, by Deployment, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative Impact of... - November 25th, 2021
- Yes, ransomware is your number one security nightmare. But heres how to sleep easy - The Register - November 25th, 2021
- How To Talk to Strangers Where No One Can See You - The Phoenix - Swarthmore College The Phoenix Online - November 20th, 2021
- How to Encrypt WhatsApp Chat Backups with End-to-End Encryption in iCloud - BollyInside - November 20th, 2021
- Vaultree's Executive Team and Advisors Drive Innovation in the Cybersecurity Industry - Yahoo Finance - November 20th, 2021
- Will you be ready when quantum breaks encryption? Steps to take now to prepare - Lexology - November 17th, 2021
- If cybercriminals cant see data because its encrypted, they have nothing to steal - The Register - November 17th, 2021
- Why You Should Encrypt Your WhatsApp Backups in iCloud - Lifehacker - November 17th, 2021
- Cape Privacy Forges Partnership with Snowflake, Enabling Financial Services Organizations to Use Encrypted Data for Predictive Modeling in the Cloud -... - November 17th, 2021
- UK Government awards 555k to help fund new ways to protect children within end-to-end encrypted environments - ResponseSource - November 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp starts rolling out end-to-end encryption for ... - November 15th, 2021
- Quantum Xchange Collaborates with Thales to Enable Quantum-Safe Key Delivery Across Any Distance, Over Any Network Media - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2021
- Thrio Reduces Risk of Data Loss with Global Redaction and Encryption - WFMZ Allentown - November 15th, 2021
- When it comes to securing systems against quantum computers, there is no one-size-fits-all solution - Help Net Security - November 15th, 2021
- Hacking group says it has found encryption keys needed to unlock the PS5 [Updated] - Ars Technica - November 15th, 2021
- Opposition Parties 'Surprised' by Lack of Encryption Amid Cyber Attack - VOCM - November 15th, 2021
- Everything Blockchain Announces OEM License of Its Zero Trust Data Access Platform - GlobeNewswire - November 15th, 2021
- Alexander: Turn off the more complex encryption in Windows 11 Pro - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 8th, 2021
- Encryption, inequality and Zero DOM: 6 pocket listing takeaways - Inman - November 8th, 2021
- Apple Can Secretly Read Your WhatsApp MessagesThis Is How To Stop It - Forbes - November 8th, 2021
- The double-edged sword of encryption - TechRadar - November 8th, 2021
- An Open Letter to City Council and the City Manager on Police Encryption. Category: Public Comment from The Berkeley Daily Planet - Berkeley Daily... - November 8th, 2021
- PSD2 & Open Banking Biometric Authentication Market Research Report by Function, by End Users, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative... - November 8th, 2021
- WhatsApp to alert users with new security code. Read why - Mint - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Service Market Size and Overview: 2021, Industry Share, Key Developments, Geographic Comparison, and Drivers till 2028 Bolivar... - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Market Revenue, Share, Size and Trend Analysis 2021 to 2027 LSMedia - LSMedia - November 8th, 2021
- RCMP wants to use AI to learn passwords in investigations, but experts warn of privacy risks - The Globe and Mail - November 8th, 2021
- EXPLAINED: Why End-To-End Encryption May Not Mean That Nobody Can Read Your WhatsApp Chats - News18 - October 30th, 2021
- Only 17% of US Companies Encrypt Over Half of Their Cloud Data - WebProNews - October 30th, 2021
- Database Encryption Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2025 | Intel Security (Mcafee), Microsoft Corporation,... - October 30th, 2021
- Encryption Software Market Size To Record A Substantially CAGR Over 2017-2030 Puck77 - Puck77 - October 30th, 2021
- Growth Prospects of Cloud Encryption Gateways Market: Business Outlook 2021-2026 by Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, Salesforce, Vormetric, Ciphercloud, and... - October 30th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market Growth Overview of Top Companies : Microsoft,IBM Corporation,Galois,CryptoExperts,Enveil,Duality... - October 30th, 2021
- Messenger: from now on, voice and video calls will have end-to-end encryption MRT - Market Research Telecast - October 30th, 2021
- Encryption Key Management Market Growth Overview of Top Companies : Thales Group, IBM, Egnyte, Google, Alibaba Cloud Computing, Box, Amazon,... - October 30th, 2021
- Google Drive Alternatives: Improving Privacy and Security - TechSpot - October 30th, 2021
- Future Growth Of IoT Security Solution for Encryption Market by New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies - Forecast To 2026 -... - October 30th, 2021
- If WhatsApp chats are end-to-end encrypted, how are personal chats of celebs leaking? - BGR India - October 30th, 2021
- WhatsApp rolls out encryption for chats backed up in the cloud - Mashable - October 17th, 2021
- Meet the Alliance for Encryption in Latin America and the Caribbean - EFF - October 17th, 2021
- Apples plan to scan images will allow governments into smartphones - The Guardian - October 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp to bring in encryption for backup chats after privacy fears - The Guardian - October 15th, 2021
- WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted backups are rolling out on both Android and iOS - GSMArena.com news - GSMArena.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption: Why security threats coast under the radar - Philstar.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption Management Solutions Market 2021 : Industry Analysis ,Size, Share, Revenue, Prominent Players, Developing Technologies, Tendencies and... - October 15th, 2021
- TLS Support Redis - October 12th, 2021
- Signal >> Documentation - October 12th, 2021
- Encryption Consulting announces their first-ever virtual conference - "Encryption Consulting Virtual conference 2021." - Tyler Morning... - October 12th, 2021
- [Update: Rolling out] WhatsApp adds end-to-end encryption for Android cloud backups - 9to5Google - October 12th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market New Coming Industry to Witness Great Growth Opportunities in Coming Years From 2021 to 2027: Microsoft (US), IBM... - October 12th, 2021
- SmartKargo Incorporates EDIfly Advanced Aviation Messaging At No Cost for Customers of its E-Commerce Logistics Solution - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- No outages, no data leaks: The new WhatsApp killer built on the blockchain creates privacy-focused encrypted messenger - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- Mosyle's $ 16M Series A Drives Growth by Launching the Mosyle Business with the Market's First Encrypted DNS Filtering and Security Solution -... - October 6th, 2021
- Tips to Secure and Encrypt your WIFI Network Security - H2S Media - October 6th, 2021
- Data Encryption Standard (DES)? - All You Need to Know | Techfunnel - TechFunnel - October 4th, 2021
- XSOC CORP Recognized by CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards Program for Overall Encryption Solution of the Year - Business Wire - October 4th, 2021
- Encryption: Why security threats coast under the radar - Express Computer - October 4th, 2021
- Hardware Encryption Devices Market 2021 Technology Development, Key Manufacturers, Forecast Based on Major Drivers and Trends Up to 2027 - Digital... - October 4th, 2021
- Container security without governance is neither secure nor governed - The Register - October 4th, 2021
- Sectigo Certificate Manager Wins 2021 CyberSecurity Breakthrough Award for Overall Encryption Solution Provider of the Year - PRNewswire - October 4th, 2021
- Customs and Border Protection Signs Major Contract With Amazon-Owned Encrypted Chat App Wickr - Gizmodo - October 4th, 2021
- Encryption cant be used as excuse to deny sharing details to law enforcement: Govt - The Financial Express - October 4th, 2021
- Facebook announces WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted (E2EE) backups - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - October 4th, 2021
- Bluefin Issues New Payment Security Brief on PCI-validated P2PE for Petroleum and Convenience Stores - PR Web - October 4th, 2021
- Get a lifetime of easy, automatic encryption for all of the files on your computer for just $30 - ZDNet - September 24th, 2021
- Tide encryption is ready to end the cyber breach pandemic - TechCrunch - September 24th, 2021
- The FBI has kept the presence of the encryption key secret from Casey for three weeks. - Cheraw Chronicle - September 24th, 2021
- Braves non-tracking, browser-based video conferencing tool is out of beta - TechCrunch - September 24th, 2021