Todays era of entertainment and the media has become completely digital. With every major cable TV provider now rushing to release its own streaming platform, the fight to gain customer confidence in choosing the new streaming service is becoming more aggressive both at home and abroad.
As a result, not all streaming opportunities are created equal. For those residing abroad, the ability to stream certain content is not the same as living in the United States. In addition, 2020 is the year of accountability for our tech giants who own the most valuable assets in the world.
In todays era of data breaches and security exploits, personal security and privacy is all the more necessary, especially when online content is streaming. For this reason, it is important for people living abroad and / or traveling frequently internationally to consider using a VPN provider or Virtual Private Network.
A VPN is a service that allows you to access the Internet as if you were connected to a private network anonymously and from any site. So, to bring the idea home if you live in an area where your internet content is restricted, a VPN essentially allows you to bypass that particular area-specific content (cough, china, cough) on the Internet. So yes, you can watch Schitts Creek all the way from India or Russia if you choose.
When you enable or disable your VPN, it creates an encrypted tunnel between your computer and a server operated by the VPN company. By streamlining all your internet traffic through this tunnel, it effectively hides your IP address (your computers social security number) and shows you that your traffic is coming from your VPN (geographically outdated) server and not your computer may be subject to restriction of content restriction. This essentially makes it more difficult for third party advertisers or others to monitor your online activities.
It also helps minimize and / or almost completely the ability of ISPs to sell your anonymous data for profit.
If you are one of these people who flows online through an Amazon Firestick, which is known to allow open source / third party option (assuming you understand that you accept the risk of anything that may happen or result from these downloads), you should probably use a VPN, no matter where you live.
Just last week, CNET released its list of Best VPN Services in 2020, which includes well-known VPN networks such as ExpressVPN, IPVanish VPN, NordVPN and many more.
However, one VPN that we believe is up-and-coming and is completely new is Surfshark.
The most appealing about Surfshark is the ability to add an unlimited number of devices to an account while most of these other VPN networks are cut after a certain number of connections (usually five). But why is that?
The company offers over 1000 servers, while others such as ExpressVPN and NordVPN range from 3,000 to 5,200. However, it is important to note that most servers do not necessarily equal performance the number of servers simply reflects the number of subscribers serving a company.
Geographical location is an important factor to consider as Surfshark currently covers 61 countries exceeding the average in countries such as South America (often overlooked by other providers), Africa, Israel, Japan, Chile, and South Korea to name a few.
As mentioned, no matter where you are (at home or abroad), it is never a good idea in todays digital age to connect directly to the Internet. And the data breaches surrounding Avast and NordVPN antigen and security giant are proof of that.
Last year, antivirus and security giant Avast and NordVPN revealed monthly intrusions that shared a common cause, according to Brian Krebs forgotten or unknown user accounts that gave remote access to internal systems with little more than one password.
The NordVPN data breach, which occurred in March 2018, was unfortunately downgraded by the company, stating that while attackers could use private keys to track and track traffic for some of their customers traffic, monitoring communications routing through one of the companys more than 3,000 servers.
NordVPN blog report on data breach:
The server itself does not contain any user activity logs. None of our applications send user-created credentials for authentication, so usernames and passwords could not be withheld. With the same note, the only possible way to abuse site traffic was to perform a personalized and complex human attack in the middle to keep a single link trying to gain access. silver in NordVPN .
But why wait so long to report the invasion?
When we found out about the vulnerability the data center had a few months ago, we immediately terminated the contract with the server provider and broke all the servers we had rented from them, the company said. We did not disclose the exploitation right away because we needed to ensure that none of our infrastructure could be prone to such issues. This could not be done quickly because of the huge volume of servers and the complexity of our infrastructure.
This brings us back to the important issue of encryption and encryption. In cryptography, a code is an algorithm for performing encryption or decryption. For more information on cryptographers, you can read more here.
Surfshark uses AES-256-GCM, the fastest and most modern encryption method available today. For the unspecified, the AES-GCM over the AES-CBC concludes how secure its cryptography is.
AES is NIST-certified and used by the US government to protect secure data, and many have therefore adopted AES as the standard symmetrical selection cycle. It is an open standard that is free to use for any public, private, commercial or non-commercial use. AES is a symmetric key encryption key, the same key used to encrypt data is also used to decrypt it.
In cryptography, GCM or Galois / Counter Mode is a mode of operation for widely used cryptographic symmetric key cryptographic blocks. For more information on this, you can see an analysis of how encryption blocks work and how GCM plays here.
With Surfshark incorporating this level of encryption, it enables peer-to-peer (P2P) transactions, including BitTorrent, along with its own in-house ad blocker tool, called CleanWeb.
One feature we havent seen much with other providers, which many of our staff uses, is Multihop, a tunnel splitting tool that adds even more security to your connection. With this feature enabled, a VPN connection to one server and then your Internet traffic jumps to a second VPN server for even greater security.
At the end of the day, you want to make sure that you are always connected to the Internet safely and anonymously because black hackers are looking for new ways on your computer. So dont give them.
For more information about Surfshark, you can sign up for a free trial here.
- Bill to protect children online ensnared in encryption fight | TheHill - The Hill - March 13th, 2020
- Child exploitation bill earns strong opposition from encryption advocates - Washington Examiner - March 13th, 2020
- Senators Pretend That EARN IT Act Wouldn't Be Used To Undermine Encryption; They're Wrong - Techdirt - March 13th, 2020
- Patent hints that encrypted displays could appear on future Apple devices - TechSpot - March 13th, 2020
- Senators dispute industry claims that a bill targeting tech's legal shield would prohibit encryption - CNBC - March 11th, 2020
- The EARN IT Act Is a Sneak Attack on Encryption - WIRED - March 11th, 2020
- Krk WiFi vulnerability affected WiFi encryption on over a billion devices - Privacy News Online - March 11th, 2020
- The Benefits of Encryption and the Implications of Creating Backdoors - American Action Forum - March 11th, 2020
- Big Boom in Encryption Key Management Software Market that is Significantly Growing with Top Key Players Netlib Security, Fortanix, Avery Oden, AWS -... - March 11th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market to Witness Robust Expansion throughout the Forecast 2020-2026: McAfee(Intel Corporation), Blackberry, T-Systems... - March 11th, 2020
- Email Encryption Market Rising Trends, Technology and Business Outlook 2020 to 2026 - Best Research Reports - March 11th, 2020
- Crypto, Encryption, and the Quest for a Secure Messaging App - Bitcoin News - March 8th, 2020
- Encryption Flaws Leave Millions of Toyota, Kia, and Hyundai Cars Vulnerable to Key Cloning - Gizmodo - March 8th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution for Encryption Market to Boom In Near Future by 2026 Industry Key Players: Cisco Systems, Intel Corporation, IBM Corporation -... - March 8th, 2020
- What are the top-rated encrypted texting apps? - Fox Business - March 8th, 2020
- Data Encryption Software Market: Future Forecast Assessed On The Basis Of How The Industry Is Predicted To Grow 2020-2025 - Bandera County Courier - March 8th, 2020
- How Encrypted Messaging Works And Why Australian Spies Are Trying To Break The Code - Gizmodo Australia - March 8th, 2020
- Why Britains new deal with Silicon Valley for stopping child abuse still has one big hole in it - Telegraph.co.uk - March 8th, 2020
- What the 2020 election means for encryption - The Verge - March 3rd, 2020
- Our guide to the 2020 election including Section 230 and encryption - The Verge - March 3rd, 2020
- Research: IT Managers Regard Encrypted Traffic as a Source of Cyberthreats, But Their Defenses Are Inadequate - Yahoo Finance - March 3rd, 2020
- Encryption Foes in Washington Won't Give Up - Reason - March 3rd, 2020
- BestCrypt by Jetico expands cross-platform protection to computers with T2 chip - Help Net Security - March 3rd, 2020
- Barr's Motives, Encryption and Protecting Children; DOJ 230 Workshop Review, Part III - Techdirt - March 3rd, 2020
- Comment: Its time for governments to learn how end-to-end encryption works - 9to5Mac - March 3rd, 2020
- Crypto AG Shows That US Concern Over Huawei Encryption Backdoors Comes From Long Experience Doing the Same Thing - CPO Magazine - March 3rd, 2020
- MI5 Still Thinks Encryption Backdoors are an Excellent Idea That Couldn't Possibly Go Wrong - Gizmodo UK - March 3rd, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market is projected to reach a value of USD 20.44 billion by 2026 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - March 3rd, 2020
- Exporters Should Be 'Very Careful' of Misusing New End-to-End Encryption Carve-Out in ITAR, Experts Say - Export Compliance Daily - March 3rd, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Analysis by Overview, Growth, Top Companies, Trends, Demand and Forecast to 2026 - Packaging News 24 - March 3rd, 2020
- If We Build It (They Will Break In) - Lawfare - March 3rd, 2020
- Why the US government is questioning WhatsApp's encryption - CNBC - February 25th, 2020
- No Backdoor on Human Rights: Why Encryption Cannot Be Compromised - Bitcoin News - February 25th, 2020
- Backdoor to encryption back on agenda in absurdly named bill - 9to5Mac - February 25th, 2020
- Signal is the European Union's encrypted messaging app of choice - Cult of Mac - February 25th, 2020
- cloudAshur, hands on: Encrypt, share and manage your files locally and in the cloud - ZDNet - February 25th, 2020
- ASIO: Relentless advance of technology was outstripping our capabilities - ZDNet - February 25th, 2020
- Cygilant to Highlight the Need for Encrypted Traffic Visibility at RSA Conference 2020 - Business Wire - February 25th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Emerging Trends, Growing Demand, Leading Companies, Applications, Overview and Regional Analysis 2026 - News Times - February 25th, 2020
- US bill seen threatening encryption on tech platforms - EJ Insight - February 25th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Market to Witness Increased Incremental Dollar Opportunity During the Forecast Period 2020 2026 | Dell, Eset, Gemalto, IBM,... - February 25th, 2020
- Malware and HTTPS a growing love affair - Naked Security - February 25th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market To Witness Growth Acceleration During 2020-2026 | Western Digital Corp, Samsung Electronics, Toshiba,... - February 25th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market are anticipated to lucrative growth opportunities in the future by Product Type, Structure, End-user and Geography to 2027... - February 25th, 2020
- Proposed Bill Could Threaten Apple, Facebook Messaging Platforms - MSSP Alert - February 25th, 2020
- Zettaset to Participate in Cybersecurity Forum at Annual HIMSS 2020 Conference - Business Wire - February 25th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Technology Market Analysis with Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecasts to 2025 | Gemalto, Sophos, Symantec - Nyse Nasdaq... - February 25th, 2020
- US legislation to fend off end-to-end encryption of Facebook, Google and others - Financial World - February 25th, 2020
- Encryption on Facebook, Google, others threatened by planned new bill - Reuters - February 22nd, 2020
- What Is an Encryption Backdoor? - How-To Geek - February 22nd, 2020
- Sophos Takes On Encrypted Network Traffic With New XG Firewall 18 - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - February 22nd, 2020
- Last Week In Venture: Eyes As A Service, Environmental Notes And Homomorphic Encryption - Crunchbase News - February 22nd, 2020
- CIA Encryption Meddling and Chinese Espionage Allegations Make It Clear: We All Need Strong Data Protection - Reason - February 12th, 2020
- Congress, Not the Attorney General, Should Decide the Future of Encryption - Lawfare - February 12th, 2020
- The code breakers: This vault is the epicenter in law enforcement's battle to unlock encrypted smartphones - USA TODAY - February 12th, 2020
- Enea Announces New Smart Tools to Identify Encrypted and Evasive Network Traffic - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- Encryption Vs. Decryption: What's the Difference? - Techopedia - February 12th, 2020
- Labor Bill to fix Australian encryption laws it voted for hits second debate - ZDNet - February 12th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - News Parents - February 12th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market to Grow Massively (2020-2025) By Size, Share, Price, Trend and Forecast | Blackberry, T-Systems International, ESET, Sophos,... - February 12th, 2020
- Child-Welfare Activists Attack Facebook Over Encryption Plans - The New York Times - February 9th, 2020
- How Attorney General Barr's War On Encryption Will Harm Our Military - Techdirt - February 9th, 2020
- Strong Opinions on Whether Police Calls Should be Encrypted - Government Technology - February 9th, 2020
- The EARN IT Act is the latest clueless attack on encryption, do not fall for it - Privacy News Online - February 9th, 2020
- Republican Senator Lindsey Graham introduces bill that threatens end-to-end encryption - World Socialist Web Site - February 9th, 2020
- Activists write to Facebook against encryption, says it will dent bid to curb child pornography - Hindustan Times - February 9th, 2020
- BBB Offers the Following Tips for National Clean Out Your Computer and Safer Internet Day WKTN- A division of Home Town Media - WKTN Radio - February 9th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market Booming by Size, Revenue, Trends and Top Growing Companies 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 9th, 2020
- Federal government warning of voter coercion, foreign election interference through private messaging services - CBC.ca - February 9th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market 2020 Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and Assessment to 2025 -... - February 9th, 2020
- Well-meaning charities urge Facebook to halt encryption plan to protect kids - 9to5Mac - February 6th, 2020
- How the B-Team watches over Australia's encryption laws and cybersecurity - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Kids Need End-to-End Encryption for Protection Against Corporations - The Mac Observer - February 6th, 2020
- Encryption Backdoors: The Achilles Heel to Cybersecurity? - Techopedia - February 6th, 2020
- US Lawmakers Seeking to Ban Companies From Using End-to-End Encryption With a New Draft Bill - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - February 6th, 2020
- United States: a invoice towards end-to-end encryption? - Sahiwal Tv - February 6th, 2020
- TLS 1.0/1.1 end-of-life countdown heads into the danger zone - The Daily Swig - February 6th, 2020
- How Would a US Ban on End to End Encryption Affect Cryptocurrency? - Bitcoinist - February 5th, 2020
- Officials Ask Public to Weigh in on Encrypting Police Calls - Government Technology - February 5th, 2020
- Bluefin and FroogalPay Partner to Provide PCI-Validated Point-to-Point Encryption (P2PE) - Benzinga - February 5th, 2020