The agenda for this years Reagan National Defense Forum is fixed firmly on the future, even as Congress struggles to pass a budget for the fiscal year that began more than two months ago. Meanwhile, its organizers have released their annual national security-themed public-opinion survey.
Perhaps its most eye-popping finding: 28% of Americans surveyed said that Russia is a U.S. ally. Belief in that falsehood is up from 19% last year. Still, 71% called Russia a threat to America, and 25% called it the greatest threat. But more people 60% of those surveyed, called China the largestthreat.
Forum attendees are slated toinclude:
Get The Global Business Brief in your inbox:
The must-read news, analysis and insights about the intersection of business and international security.
Ill be moderating Saturdays 1:40 p.m. panel: Strengthening Nuclear Deterrence: Modernizing the Triad and Sustaining Arms Control in a Post-INF World. Panelists include Lisa Gordon-Hagerty, National Nuclear Security Administration administrator, Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H. and Rep. Mike Turner, R-Ohio. Watch it live, here.
Youve reached the Defense One Global Business Brief by Marcus Weisgerber. Im heading to Simi Valley this weekend for the Reagan National Defense Forum, so shoot me a message if you want to link up. As always, send along your tips and feedback to email@example.com or @MarcusReports. Check out the Global Business Brief archive here, and tell your friends to subscribe!
Even large companies arent doing as well as they think they are, the assistant acquisition chief saidMonday.
Getting internet security right is key to the alliances veryfuture.
The alliance should up its members spending goals and count much-needed resiliency investment toward thetotal.
S-400 missile interceptors might just be the beginning of arms deals between Moscow and Ankara, according to a Reuters report, citing the Russian RIA state-run news organization. Rosoboronexports Alexander Mikheev told RIA news agency Moscow and Ankara were actively discussing Ankara taking up an option in the original contract for it to receive more S-400 systems, with talks focused on financial questions, Reuters reports. We hope that in the first half of 2020 we will sign the contract documents, RIA cited Mikheev as saying. But I want to stress that military technical cooperation with Turkey is not limited to the supply of the S-400s. We have big plansahead.
Over the past five years, Navy warships have spent some 33,700 more days in maintenance than expected, according to the Government Accountability Office. Do the math, and thats more than 92 years in maintenance delays. The Navy was unable to complete scheduled ship maintenance on time for about 75 percent of the maintenance periods conducted during fiscal years 2014 through 2019, with more than half of the delays in fiscal year 2019 exceeding 90 days, GAOs Diana Maurer wrote in prepared testimony for the Senate Armed Services seapower and readiness subcommittees. When maintenance is not completed on time, fewer ships are available for training or operations, which can hinder readiness. The Navys plan to improve those metrics will take 20 years and $21 billion, according to a new GAO report. Shortening maintenance was a top priority for former Deputy Defense Secretary PatrickShanahan.
The Navy on Monday signed a $22.2 billion deal with General Dynamics Electric Boat and Huntington Ingalls for nine Virginia-class submarines. The deal has an option for a tenth sub, which could increase the total value to $22.4billion.
Caroline Kennedy will christen a new aircraft carrier named for her father this Saturday at Huntington Ingalls Newport News Shipbuilding. As a 9-year-old in 1967, she helped her mother and brother christen the first USS John F. Kennedy.
The Air Force is planning an industry day to talk about the plane that will replace the E-4B National Airborne Operations Center. The new plane has been dubbed the Survivable Airborne Operations Center, or SAOC (presumably pronounced say-ock). The plane will be a new, cost-effective, commercial derivative aircraft aka something that already exists, like a new Boeing 747-8, which, by the way, appears to be nearing the end of its production run. The four 1970s-era E-4Bs need so much additional maintenance that theyre no longer flying the defense secretary on overseastrips.
The Pentagon is continuing its investment in hypersonic weapons, awarding Lockheed Martin a $989 million deal for the Air-Launched Rapid Response Weapon. The boost-glide weapon is undergoing tests at Edwards Air Force Base in California, Air Force Magazine reports.
The info will inform the creation and issuance of formal Requests for Prototype Proposals related to testing and experimentation projects focusing on 5G Dynamic Spectrum Sharing at Hill Air Force Base, Utah, and Smart Warehouse and Asset Management at Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany, Georgia, the Pentagon said in a Nov. 29 statement. The military intends to conduct 5G tech trials at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington, and Naval Base San Diego, California. DoD, in coordination with industry, will develop and mature spectrum access technologies that enable improved cognizance of spectrum activity, protection of U.S. activity in the electromagnetic spectrum domain and provide the ability to relocate and/or share spectrum anytime and anywhere access is denied, the Pentagon said in a Nov. 29statement.
Amazon is famously contesting the Pentagons choice of Microsoft for its $10 billion JEDI cloud computing contract, but its not the only Jeff Bezos-owned company with a contracting beef. After rocket maker Blue Origin challenged the Air Forces method for evaluating prospective launch providers, GAO concurred,saying:
In summary, we find that the [Air Forces request for proposals] anticipated when combined best-value methodology fails to provide offerors with an intelligible and common basis for competition. We recommend that the Air Force amend the solicitation consistent with our decision and the requirements of applicable procurement law and regulation. We also recommend that the agency reimburse the protester its respective costs associated with filing and pursuing its protest, including reasonable attorneysfees.
Blue Origin is competing with United Launch Alliance, Northrop Grumman, and (also billionaire-owned) SpaceX for thejobs.
Private equity firm AE Industrial Partners has acquired AIM MRO, a leading manufacturer and supply chain manager of highly engineered consumable repair products and materials used primarily in the aerospace engine aftermarket. Its the private equity firms fifth acquisition thisyear.
The White House announced Thursday that President Trump plans to nominate James McPherson, the U.S. Army general council, to be Army undersecretary. A retired rear admiral who served as the Navys top JAG, McPherson has been serving as Army undersecretary since Ryan McCarthy moved up to the Armys top job over thesummer.
The White House announced on Nov. 25 that President Trump plans to nominate Charles Williams, a retired rear admiral, to be an assistant secretary of the Navy for installations, energy and the environment. Williams retired from the Navy in2005.
Boeing PR executive Anne Toulouse will retire from the companys top communications post at the end of the year, Boeing announced.
The Aerospace Industries Association will honor longtime Northrop Grumman spokesman Brandon Randy Belote with the 2019 Lauren Deac Lyman award for outstanding achievement in aerospacecommunications.
- Internet Security Market to Reap Excessive Revenues by 2026 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 19th, 2020
- How to Secure Your Windows 7 PC in 2020 - How-To Geek - January 19th, 2020
- Security fears saw nearly half of Europe use the internet less during 2018 - The Brussels Times - January 19th, 2020
- Senate Passes Legislation to Help Boost and Secure the Internet of Things - Nextgov - January 19th, 2020
- Internet of Things presents the next frontier of cyberattacks - ITProPortal - January 19th, 2020
- Ooma Improves on Phone and Home Security with New Products for Cord Cutters - Cord Cutters News, LLC - January 19th, 2020
- Windows 7 computers will no longer be patched after today - Naked Security - January 19th, 2020
- How the Trump administration is secretly assisting Iranian protesters - Washington Examiner - January 19th, 2020
- Iowa results will be compiled over the internet, hacking threat aside - The Fulcrum - January 19th, 2020
- Interview with Jordan Blake on the potential of behavioural biometrics - The Paypers - January 19th, 2020
- Cyren (NASDAQ:CYRN) Stock Rating Lowered by Zacks Investment Research - Riverton Roll - January 19th, 2020
- Password Managers: What Are They & How to Use Them? - TechAcute - January 19th, 2020
- EZVIZ C6CN pan-and-tilt security camera review: Motion tracking keeps intruder in this camera's sights - TechHive - January 19th, 2020
- New Year, new gadgets? Five ways to keep your new devices safe from hackers, cyber attacks and malware - ZDNet - January 6th, 2020
- BlackBerry Collaborating with Amazon Web Services to Demonstrate Safe, Secure, and Intelligent Connected Vehicle Software Platform for In-Vehicle... - January 6th, 2020
- Internet of Things security firm Armis in talks to be acquired -media - Nasdaq - January 6th, 2020
- The Internet of Things: how safe are your smart devices? - Spectator.co.uk - January 6th, 2020
- Beset by lawsuits over poor security protections, Ring rolls out 'privacy dashboard' for its creepy surveillance cams, immediately takes heat - The... - January 6th, 2020
- Start the new year, and new decade, by making your slice of the internet more secure - Times Colonist - January 6th, 2020
- Industrial Internet Consortium teams up with blockchain-focused security group - Network World - January 5th, 2020
- Russia Takes a Big Step Toward Internet Isolation - WIRED - January 5th, 2020
- 'This Is the Beginning': Hackers Claiming to Be from Iran Take Over U.S. Government Website - PJ Media - January 5th, 2020
- Virus-Crippled Travelex Was Running Windows 8, RDP Connected to Internet - Computer Business Review - January 5th, 2020
- From the archives: Top ten WSU stories of the decade - - The Wright State Guardian - January 5th, 2020
- Down Over 30% Since August, Is Recent IPO Fastly a Buy for 2020? - The Motley Fool - January 5th, 2020
- North Dakota's building a cybersecurity operations center and everyone's invited - StateScoop - January 5th, 2020
- Quid Pro Quo the truth | Opinion - Kingstree News - January 5th, 2020
- All You Need to Know About Indias First Data Protection Bill - CISO MAG - January 5th, 2020
- Start the new year, and new decade, by making your slice of the internet more secure - SaultOnline.com - January 5th, 2020
- Cheetah Mobile (NYSE:CMCM) Stock Rating Lowered by Zacks Investment Research - Riverton Roll - January 5th, 2020
- The Army Bans TikTok - WIRED - January 5th, 2020
- Acer Introduces New TravelMate P6, a Durable and Thin-and-Light Notebook for Mobile Professionals - PRNewswire - January 5th, 2020
- Know in Depth about Internet Security Software Market Trends, In-Depth Analysis and Forecast To 2026 | Symantec, McAfee, Trend Micro, AVG - AnalyticSP - December 31st, 2019
- Staying Out Of Trouble In 2020 With New Security Practices And Human Firewalls - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Expansion of the Internet Security Software Market is Forecasted to Reach at Very High Rate By 2026 - Market Research Sheets - December 31st, 2019
- Bangladesh shuts down internet along India's border 'for the sake of the countrys security in the current cir - Business Insider India - December 31st, 2019
- The year in #StupidSecurity 2019's biggest security and privacy blunders - The Daily Swig - December 31st, 2019
- Together with the community, weve given away more than 100,000 for important causes - Security Boulevard - December 31st, 2019
- The Most Dangerous People on the Internet This Decade - WIRED - December 31st, 2019
- The Top Security Stories of 2019, Part Two - Foreign Policy - December 31st, 2019
- About That IoT Device You Received as a Holiday Gift... - Security Intelligence - December 31st, 2019
- China nears completion of its GPS competitor, increasing the potential for Internet balkanization - TechCrunch - December 31st, 2019
- Best Android antivirus? The top 11 tools - CIO East Africa - December 31st, 2019
- 4 Ways to Make Security Training A Priority in Your Healthcare Organization - HIT Consultant - December 31st, 2019
- Beware of the Smart Device: Ways to Stay Private and Safe - The New York Times - December 31st, 2019
- A ton of Ruckus wireless routers are vulnerable to hackers - TechCrunch - December 31st, 2019
- The MS-ISAC Helps State and Local Governments Boost Their Cybersecurity - StateTech Magazine - December 31st, 2019
- Discover Lafayette podcast with Rader Solutions' security team: Here are 9 tips to prevent data breaches - The Advocate - December 31st, 2019
- #SocialSec Hot takes on this week's biggest cybersecurity news (Dec 27) - The Daily Swig - December 31st, 2019
- Ookla Adds Free VPN To It's Speedtest App For iOS And Android - Techworm - December 31st, 2019
- How to Keep a Security Breach Out of your Internet-Connected Stocking this Christmas - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- Internet Security Market: Deep Analysis by Production Overview and Insights 2019-2025 - Drnewsindustry - December 13th, 2019
- The Great $50M African IP Address Heist - Krebs on Security - December 13th, 2019
- Avast announces cybersecurity predictions for 2020, expects rise in mobile scams and IoT Malware - Gadgets Now - December 13th, 2019
- Office and Penetration Testing Software Increasingly Becoming Vectors for Malware - Campus Technology - December 13th, 2019
- Network attacks increased in third quarter, WatchGuard says - TechRepublic - December 13th, 2019
- What is a VPN Used for on Android? - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - December 13th, 2019
- Pulse Secure Partners with Nozomi Networks in IT-OT Convergence Play - Channel Futures - December 13th, 2019
- 2 Dead in Protests Over Indias Religion-Based Citizenship Bill - The New York Times - December 13th, 2019
- RIPE NCC and TRA hold roundtable in UAE on government role in Internet - Intelligent CIO ME - December 13th, 2019
- Global and Regional IT Security Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Industry PressRelease - December 13th, 2019
- How do Cypriots spend their time on the Internet? - In-Cyprus.com - December 13th, 2019
- CipherCloud and Thales Collaborate to Support Zero Trust Data Access - Business Wire - December 13th, 2019
- Malware variety grows by 13.7 percent in 2019 due to web skimmers - Eagle Online - December 13th, 2019
- Installing a Fake Internet with INetSim and PolarProxy - Security Boulevard - December 10th, 2019
- China to ban all American-made hardware and software in government and public offices - ConsumerAffairs - December 10th, 2019
- TLS 1.3 Is Coming: Here's What You Need To Know To Be Prepared For It - Forbes - December 10th, 2019
- Global Internet Security Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Breaking News Updates - December 10th, 2019
- Now, keep your data safe in a private, digital home on the internet, thanks to this tech startup - YourStory - December 10th, 2019
- Red Balloon Security Partners with Siemens to Deliver Cybersecurity to Building Automation Systems - Business Wire - December 10th, 2019
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market Expected to Deliver Dynamic Progression until 2028| Cisco Systems Inc - Global Market News 24 - December 10th, 2019
- Global IT Security Spending in Government Market 2018 Check Point Software Technologies, Cisco Systems, Fortinet - The Industry Press Releases - December 10th, 2019
- Poor Conducts By Avast Antivirus Review: Is Avast Good? - The Daily Sound - December 10th, 2019
- Global IT Security Spending Market 2018 Check Point Software Technologies, Cisco Systems, EMC, Fortinet, Juniper Networks - The Industry Press... - December 10th, 2019
- Global IT Security Spending in Government Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - The Industry Press... - December 10th, 2019
- Internet security Market 2019 Business Growth, Size and Comprehensive Research Study Forecast to 2026 - Montana Ledger - December 9th, 2019
- $200,000 Internet Fraud: Will Anyone Investigate? - BankInfoSecurity.com - December 9th, 2019
- Will Your Small Business Withstand A Cyberattack? - Forbes - December 9th, 2019
- Analysis of the Greater China Secure Content Management Market 2018-2019 - Forecast to 2023 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - December 8th, 2019
- TikTok is the best place on the internet. We should all delete it - CNET - December 8th, 2019