The concept of federalism is central to the American republic, and it diffuses power away from Washington, D.C., and out to state capitals, major cities and towns across the country.
That means that there is a wide constellation of players who impact state and local governments and the technologies they use. There is a correspondingly large number of those who influence the conversation around state and local IT. They include governors, state and city CIOs, analysts, journalists and podcasters.
So, to help government IT pros stay in the loop, StateTech has sorted through the most influential state and local government IT voices on the internet. In response to an evolving industry and ever-changing technology, weve adopted a new approach to keeping track of the industrys thought leaders, and have turned our Must-Read State and Local IT Blogger List into an influencer list that covers not just bloggers, but also Twitter personalities, podcasts, LinkedIn pros and those who use their social channels to get the word out.
Here is our curated collection of 30 state and local IT influencers, which we hope will be your go-to guide for keeping tabs on the latest in state and local government IT trends, smart cities and more. If youre on the list, spread the news and grab our IT influencer cover image for your Twitter page!
Although hes not a Twitter superstar, Nebraska CIO Ed Toner is one of the most well-respected voices across the state government technology landscape. For several years, he has offered regular (usually monthly) updates on how he and his office are approaching innovation, cloud adoption and the business case for IT decisions.
As both the CIO of Delaware and the former president of the National Association of State Chief Information Officers, Collins is a bright star in the state government IT firmament. Collis is active on LinkedIn, promoting happenings (IT-related and otherwise) in the First State.
Detroit is a city on the rebound, having emerged from bankruptcy protection and modernized its IT infrastructure under Niblock, who has been CIO of the Motor City since February 2014. Niblock keeps up an active Twitter presence and promotes news about how Detroit is reinvigorating itself.
Beth Simone Noveck
In August 2018, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy named Noveck the states first chief innovation officer. Noveck, who is a professor at New York Universitys Tandon School of Engineering, where she directs the Governance Lab, previously served as the deputy CTO for open government under President Barack Obama. Noveck has a robust Twitter following and regularly tweets about the intersection of tech and government services.
Before hanging out his shingle as the principal and founder of civic tech consulting firm B Squared Civic Solutions, Bennett was best known as the chief innovation officer for Kansas City, Mo., where he pushed for three years to get the city on the map as a smart city. Active on Twitter, Bennett is a great person to follow to stay informed on smart cities developments.
Sarasti serves as the CIO of Miami, where he has been driving innovation since 2016. The city recently upgraded its website and has been adopting mobile technologies for divisions like the Department of Public Works. Hes another rising star on Twitter when comes to civic innovation and smart cities.
Until November, Canellakis had served in various roles in the government of the city and county of San Francisco, most recently as chief innovation officer. Shes stayed active on Twitter since her departure and remains a consistent promoter of civic engagement and public service.
The Augmented City Podcast
Hosted by John du Pre Gauntt, an analyst with a background in economics, The Augmented City podcast is a semiweekly podcast that focuses on city life in the age of artificial intelligence. It has been running since the summer of 2016 and explores the how culture and technology are colliding as AI evolves from being just another technology people use to something that is shaping how people live.
The Smart Community Podcast'
The Smart Community Podcast is a hub that brings together a wide range of voices to discuss all things smart city, smart town and smart region. Its tagline is Making Smart Communities that are Accessible, Liveable and Sustainable for All. Hosted by Australia-based engineer Zoe Eather, the podcast has notched 145 episodes since February 2018, covering everything from smart mobility to cybersecurity and digital transformation.
Ruthbea Yesner Clarke
As global vice president of Government Insights and manager of the U.S. Federal Government and Worldwide Smart Cities and Communities Global practices at IDC, Clarke is one of the most connected and in-demand analysts around when it comes to government IT, and smart cities in particular. A frequent speaker at industry conferences, she brings a wealth of knowledge to the table, especially via her Twitter feed.
In addition to his expertise covering federal government IT, McCarthy, research director for IDC Government Insights, also brings his considerable analytical skills to bear when it comes to the state and local market. Active on LinkedIn, McCarthy is a font of knowledge and data when it comes to government IT trends.
GovLove is a podcast from Engaging Local Government Leaders about the people, policies and profession of local government. Interviews with everyone from city managers to interns aim to learn more about their path into the public sector and highlight their work, and explore policy issues that impact local governments and the innovative solutions being used to address them, according to the podcasts website. The podcast has been running since 2015 and has 315 episodes in its catalog.
Doctoroff is the founder and CEO of Sidewalk Labs, a subsidiary of Google parent company Alphabet that focuses on smart city solutions, including the high-profile Quayside project in Toronto. Hes definitely someone to be connected with in the world of smart cities.
As president of U.S. regulated industries, Townes-Whitley is Microsofts point person for government affairs. She dives deep, not only into how the companys cloud and artificial intelligence solutions can help agencies but also into technologys impact on the environment and how to close the digital divide.
The United States Conference of Mayors
The U.S. Conference of Mayors is the official, nonpartisan organization of cities with populations of 30,000 or more, with each represented by its mayor. The organizations Twitter account regularly provides updates on what mayors and cities are doing to drive innovation.
Hart, the managing editor of news site Axios, writes about smart cities and technology generally. She has a deep background covering tech as a reporter for Politico and The Washington Post, and also served as the press secretary for the Federal Communications Commission during the Obama administration. Follow her on Twitter for scoops on government technology news.
The National League of Cities
The National League of Cities is the oldest and largest national organization representing municipal governments throughout the United States, according to its website. Although not strictly focused on innovation and technology, the organizations Twitter feed is a great one to follow to keep track of urban policy and priorities.
In November 2018, Polis was elected the 43rd governor of Colorado. Before getting into politics, Polis founded ProFlowers, an online florist, and he has made innovation a centerpiece of his agenda, including the launch of the Colorado Digital Service.
Reichental, the former CIO of Palo Alto, Calif., tweets regularly about emerging technologies, including digital twins and quantum computing. He currently serves as the founder and CEO of Human Future, a global business and technology education, advisory and investment firm.
Nicole Blake Johnson
Johnson is a seasoned government technology reporter who now serves as the managing editor for GovLoop. Active on both Twitter and LinkedIn, she is very tuned in to government IT tends.
Frost & Sullivan Information & Communications Technologies
Along with IDC, Frost & Sullivan is one of the premier market research and analysis firms out there when it comes to the Internet of Things and digital transformation. This is a great Twitter account for government IT leaders to follow to stay in touch with emerging technology trends.
Center for Internet Security
The Center for Internet Security is a nonprofit aimed at providing cybersecurity tools and standards for private sector and public sector organizations. The nonprofit runs the Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center, a key organization for cybersecurity in state and local government. With nearly 30,000 Twitter followers, the center is an influential voice when it comes to IT security.
The University of Virginias Link Lab
UVAs Link Lab researches cyber-physical systems for smart cities, as well as autonomous systems and smart healthcare. Follow the lab to stay up to date on cutting-edge smart city research and development.
Lohrmann, a cybersecurity thought leader, uses his blog on Government Technology to help state and local government leaders sift through the hype about IT security and focus on what they can practically do to keep their communities safe. He is active on Twitter and is a key voice to follow for cybersecurity news and trends.
Tratz-Ryan is a Gartner vice president of research and is responsible for intelligent urban ecosystem research, including on smart cities. A thought leader on smart cities and urban sustainability, she brings a unique perspective, highlighting the governance and perspectives needed to make smart cities successful for both cities and residents.
Holm, deputy CIO for the city of Los Angeles, is a major promoter of getting girls and women into IT and, of course, the City of Angels technology efforts. Holm is active on LinkedIn and, as the former evangelist for the White Houses open data initiative, is a huge proponent of open data.
Smart Cities Council
An industry coalition aimed at accelerating smart city adoption, the group brings together technology companies, city officials, universities, research institutes, national laboratories, development banks and more. Look here for thought leadership on smart cities.
Smart Cities Dive
Part of the Industry Dive network, Smart Cities Dive covers smart city industry news and provides original analysis on the latest trends in the smart city arena. Its tech coverage focuses on wireless technology, autonomous vehicles, the Internet of Things and more. Stay tuned to the publications Twitter feed, which has nearly 145,000 followers, for smart news and trends.
David Lee King
If you work in public library, you need to follow David Lee King, the digital services director at the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library. He regularly offers insights on how to incorporate technology into public library programs.
FirstNet, or the First Responder Network Authority, the first nationwide, high-speed broadband network dedicated to public safety, now has 1 million network connections and 10,000 public safety agency subscribers. Check out its Twitter feed not just for news on the development of the network but on developments in public safety technology as well.
- Common Internet of Things security pitfalls Urgent Comms - Urgent Communications - July 29th, 2020
- US starts work on making virtually unhackable internet a reality; All you need to know about Quantum Internet - The Financial Express - July 29th, 2020
- Internet Of Everything (IoE) Market Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Application Forecast - Market Research Posts - July 29th, 2020
- What are you giving away on social media? | IT PRO - IT PRO - July 29th, 2020
- Explained: Why is spyware, stalkerware gaining traction during the pandemic? - The Indian Express - July 29th, 2020
- Are we seeing the beginnings of an Indian internet? - Deccan Herald - July 29th, 2020
- What the Tech? Check Your Internet Security When Working from Home - Alabama News Network - July 27th, 2020
- Security of the internet is improving, but there is work to be done - Security Magazine - July 27th, 2020
- Outlook on the Internet Security Software Market to 2025 by Application, End-user and Geography - CueReport - July 27th, 2020
- U.S. Government Says Its Building A Virtually Unhackable Quantum Internet - Forbes - July 27th, 2020
- Amid 'heightened tensions,' US government issues warning to critical infrastructure providers - Utility Dive - July 27th, 2020
- The global Internet of Things (IoT) security market size is expected to grow from USD 12.5 billion in 2020 to USD 36.6 billion by 2025, at a Compound... - July 27th, 2020
- WISeKey to Showcase its Cybersecurity Solutions for Artificial Intelligence Used in Drones and Robots at SIDO 2020 - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- Various Politicians, Companies, And Activists Are Targeted By A Secretive Industry - See How India Has Become A Hire-for-hack Place For Other... - July 27th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market Forecasts and Opportunity Assessment Analysis 2019-2025 - Owned - July 27th, 2020
- ESET scores high in the Business Security Test 2020 - My Startup World - July 27th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | KEY PLAYERS MARKET WITH COVID-19... - July 27th, 2020
- The 12 Coolest AWS Tools Of 2020 (So Far) - CRN - July 27th, 2020
- Smart Home Market with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by Product, Software & Services, and Region - Global Forecast to 2025 - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- MailVault ties up with BD Soft as the National Distributor, for the Indian Markets - CRN.in - July 27th, 2020
- WISeKey Appoints Ben Stump as Chief Revenue Officer to Drive the Next Phase of its Global Growth - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- 4G internet not a security concern, no objection restoring it: JK admin tells Centre - The Kashmir Walla - July 27th, 2020
- This Is a Good Time to Buy Fastly Stock on the Dip - InvestorPlace - July 27th, 2020
- How firms are keeping staff and secrets safe from hackers now everyone is working remotely - CNBC - July 27th, 2020
- Cloudflare goes down, and takes the internet's security blanket with it - Mashable - July 23rd, 2020
- Should You Connect Your Brain to the Internet? - Security Boulevard - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market Growth Rate and Opportunities By 2025 With COVID-19 Outbreak, Top Players: HPE, IBM, Intel, Symantec, AlienVault,... - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market 2020 Growth Rate, Gross Margin, Competitive Situation and Trends, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- How Coronavirus Pandemic Will Impact Internet Security Software Market Size, Growth Opportunitis, Current trends, Forecast By 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- IT Security Consulting Services Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the... - July 23rd, 2020
- Scammers prey on Coronavirus fears - The Tomahawk - July 23rd, 2020
- Popular Chinese-Made Drone Is Found to Have Security Weakness - The New York Times - July 23rd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Marketplace 2020-2025 - Google, Cisco, IBM, and Intel Leading the IoT Revolution - WFMZ Allentown - July 23rd, 2020
- Digital culture in the age of COVID-19: Viral 'U' creators and politiktoks - The Michigan Daily - July 23rd, 2020
- Global IT Security Market 2025 To Expect Maximum Benefit and Growth Potential During this COVID 19 Outbreak During this COVID 19 Outbreak: Blue Coat,... - July 23rd, 2020
- Securing Travel and Transportation Operations - Security Intelligence - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Cloud DDoS Mitigation Software Market 2025 Potential Scope for Growth in This Pandamic : Amazon Web Services, Microsoft, Webroot, Google,... - July 23rd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Foresees Skyrocketing Growth in the Coming Years - Market Research Posts - July 23rd, 2020
- DDoS Protection Market 2020 | In-Depth Study On The Current State Of The Industry And Key Insights Of The Business Scenario By 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 23rd, 2020
- Exhaustive Study on DDoS Protection and Mitigation Market 2020 | Strategic Assessment by Top Players Akamai Technologies; Imperva; Radware - 3rd Watch... - July 23rd, 2020
- IT spending on Internet connectivity, security to rise in India: Report - Business Insider India - July 6th, 2020
- VPNs are the need-of-the-hour for safe and fast connections as we work-from-home - The Hindu - July 6th, 2020
- What is network security in the cloud computing era? - TechRadar - July 6th, 2020
- Revealed: How home router manufacturers dropped the ball on security - TechHive - July 6th, 2020
- Malaysia Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Akamai Is an Overlooked Web Infrastructure Play. Its a Buy, Analyst Says. - Barron's - July 6th, 2020
- According to Latest Report on Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market to Grow with an Impressive CAGR - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Enterprise Firewall Market Overview and Regional Outlook with Research Study 2019 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- How Have I Been Pwned became the keeper of the internets biggest data breaches - TechCrunch - July 6th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Trends, Opportunities, Key Players, Growth, Analysis, Outlook & Forecasts To 2026 - Daily Research... - July 6th, 2020
- WISeKey develops WIShelter Covid-19 secured smartphone app, using digital IDs and blockchain protocols, to certify users that are not infected with... - July 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies Adding to the Safety and Security in the UK Gambling Industry - London Post - July 6th, 2020
- Voice recordings from domestic violence alerting app exposed on the internet - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- The lack of women in cybersecurity puts us all at greater risk - The Next Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cascading Security Through the Internet of Things Supply Chain - Lawfare - June 30th, 2020
- How to Build the Right Security Assessment - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- Apple may have just changed a key part of how the internet works - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Indians most concerned about identity theft - Fortune India - June 30th, 2020
- Deeper Connect Mini: Decentralized, Private and Secure Internet for the People, launching June 30th on Indiegogo. - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security: Technologies and Global Markets - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Could Donald Trump claim a national security threat to shut down the internet? - Brookings Institution - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market Strategic Insights 2020 with analysis of Leading players: Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco... - June 30th, 2020
- Global IT Security Market is accounted for xx USD million in 2019 and is expected to reach xx USD million by 2025 growing at a CAGR of xx% : Blue... - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Share, Growth, Revenue, Global Industry Analysis and Future Demand |Globalmarketers.biz - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Surge in encrypted malware prompts warning about detection strategies - SecurityBrief Europe - June 30th, 2020
- NexTech AR to supply its video conferencing and virtual events platform to Dallas Independent School District - Proactive Investors UK - June 30th, 2020
- Dutch people are least concerned about safety, survey reveals - IamExpat in the Netherlands - June 30th, 2020
- Only 31% of Americans concerned with data security, despite 400% rise in cyberattacks - TechRepublic - June 24th, 2020
- WatchGuard Technologies Report Finds Two-Thirds of Malware is Encrypted, Invisible Without HTTPS Inspection - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- How To Turn Off Firewall In Windows And Mac - Ubergizmo - June 24th, 2020
- OTF's Work Is Vital for a Free and Open Internet - EFF - June 24th, 2020
- Microsoft acquires CyberX to bolster Azure IoT security - Internet of Things News - IoT Tech News - June 24th, 2020
- Partner Content: ESET and Spire Technology on why you need a Password Manager - PCR-online.biz - June 24th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Google is on a mission to stop you from reusing passwords - The Verge - June 24th, 2020
- Marking the 30th Anniversary of the Internet and Cybersecurity Treaty - CircleID - June 24th, 2020
- The Cyberlaw Podcast: Using the Internet to Cause Emotional Distress is a Felony? - Lawfare - June 24th, 2020
- DDoS Protection Market 2020 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Julian Assange Extradition and the Freedom of Bitcoin Bitcoin... - Bitcoin Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- How to become a web developer? - The Tribune - June 24th, 2020