Some of the members of the PhishCloud team, from left to right: Lisa Jensen, front end developer; Kyle Hurst, co-founder and chief technology officer; William Floyd, product developer; and Terry McCorkle, founder and CEO. Not pictured: Brian Reyes, UX design, and Andrew Klein, acting chief financial officer. (PhishCloud Photo)
Phishing scams have evolved well beyond the Nigerian prince email ruse that for more than two decades has duped people into wiring cash abroad. Phishing solicitations trick unsuspecting recipients into sending money, sharing passwords and financial information, and installing malicious software. It arrives via email, ads, social media sites, chat tools and embedded in documents.
A Seattle-based startup called PhishCloud is helping businesses and their employees identify and avoid these common cyberattacks. The service analyzes and scores all of the links that subscribers come across, flagging them in green for safe links, yellow for suspicious content and red if deemed unsafe. The average internet user sees between 500-1,000 links per week, said PhishCloud CEO and founder Terry McCorkle.
PhishCloud is creating automated tools that anyone can understand and use to protect themselves on the internet, McCorkle said.
And given the unprecedented challenges being faced by businesses due to the novel coronavirus, McCorkle is offering its entry package, called PhishCloud Lite, for free for one year to any company looking for phishing protection.
McCorkle, who has worked in IT and security roles for two decades, launched the company in 2018 with co-founder and Chief Technology Officer Kyle Hurst. McCorkle sold his first company, SpearPoint Security, to California-based Cylance in 2013. PhishCloud is his second startup. Hurst, a long-time Amazon employee, has 21 years of experience in supply chain and program development.
The PhishCloud team has eight employees, including contract and part-time workers.
The product is available by subscription and marketed to business customers. For small-to-medium businesses, the cost is $6 per user, per month. The startup will soon release a more advanced tool for $8 per user, per month, with plans on the horizon for serving larger, enterprise-scale companies.
While many competitors offer security tools, McCorkle said his companys product is unique for providing transparency to users, educating them in real time about which links are dangerous. Instead of requiring employees to forward suspicious links to administrators for review, PhishCloud makes the call for them, saving everyone time for responding to more meaningful security threats.
We believe that empowering people is the solution to building a security-minded culture and stopping phishing, McCorkle said.
We caught up with McCorkle for this Startup Spotlight, a regular GeekWire feature. Continue reading for his answers to our questionnaire.
What does your company do? We engage people in cybersecurity.
PhishCloud provides artificial intelligence to employees to help them detect phishing and internet security threats in real time. By doing so, we simplify management and increase visibility for IT and security teams.
Inspiration hit us when: I was performing red team security assessments, and one of the primary tactics that I used was phishing. It was a very revealing test. There were many times that people realized they had clicked on a phishing attempt, but IT or security teams were to slow to respond. Sometimes they would never respond at all, leading to a full compromise of their network (luckily, it was only a test).
I realized that employees were trained to guess if a message was phishing, but never provided any tools for doing this. More specifically, I realized that IT and security teams could not scale to provide security support to everyone who saw a phishing attack.
After discussing the idea with Kyle, PhishCloud was born.
VC, Angel or Bootstrap: We started as a bootstrapped company and are currently raising an angel round. We have tried to stay lean while we pioneered and patented our technology. Now that we have brought it to the market, we are bringing on outside investors.
Our secret sauce is: People first. We engage people in cybersecurity, which has increased visibility into the threats people face on the internet, gives people a voice in cybersecurity, and allows IT and security teams to respond faster. The key to doing this is our patented, end-point security that is integrated into the applications people use every day. We make detecting phishing as easy as using a traffic light.
The smartest move weve made so far: Finding the right people. We have been lucky to build a fantastic team, including contractors and outsourcing partners.
The biggest mistake weve made so far: As with any startup, we have many. If we were to do this over, we would have started fundraising earlier.
Which leading entrepreneur or executive would you most want working in your corner? There are many people required to build a company, so this is a tough question. We discussed this as a team, and if we had to have just one, it would be Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla and SpaceX. He is a visionary and has such amazing ambitions. Were inspired by his continued ability to lead companies that change the world.
Our favorite team-building activity is: We have a good time playing mini-golf and occasionally just hanging out in the office with a drink, talking at the end of the day.
The biggest thing we look for when hiring is: We love to work with people who are driven to succeed, which is important at any startup. The biggest quality we look for is the ability to learn quickly and be creative.
Whats the one piece of advice youd give to other entrepreneurs just starting out: Always be learning.
- IT spending on Internet connectivity, security to rise in India: Report - Business Insider India - July 6th, 2020
- VPNs are the need-of-the-hour for safe and fast connections as we work-from-home - The Hindu - July 6th, 2020
- What is network security in the cloud computing era? - TechRadar - July 6th, 2020
- Revealed: How home router manufacturers dropped the ball on security - TechHive - July 6th, 2020
- Malaysia Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Akamai Is an Overlooked Web Infrastructure Play. Its a Buy, Analyst Says. - Barron's - July 6th, 2020
- According to Latest Report on Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market to Grow with an Impressive CAGR - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Enterprise Firewall Market Overview and Regional Outlook with Research Study 2019 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- How Have I Been Pwned became the keeper of the internets biggest data breaches - TechCrunch - July 6th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Trends, Opportunities, Key Players, Growth, Analysis, Outlook & Forecasts To 2026 - Daily Research... - July 6th, 2020
- WISeKey develops WIShelter Covid-19 secured smartphone app, using digital IDs and blockchain protocols, to certify users that are not infected with... - July 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies Adding to the Safety and Security in the UK Gambling Industry - London Post - July 6th, 2020
- Voice recordings from domestic violence alerting app exposed on the internet - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- The lack of women in cybersecurity puts us all at greater risk - The Next Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cascading Security Through the Internet of Things Supply Chain - Lawfare - June 30th, 2020
- How to Build the Right Security Assessment - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- Apple may have just changed a key part of how the internet works - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Indians most concerned about identity theft - Fortune India - June 30th, 2020
- Deeper Connect Mini: Decentralized, Private and Secure Internet for the People, launching June 30th on Indiegogo. - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security: Technologies and Global Markets - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Could Donald Trump claim a national security threat to shut down the internet? - Brookings Institution - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market Strategic Insights 2020 with analysis of Leading players: Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco... - June 30th, 2020
- Global IT Security Market is accounted for xx USD million in 2019 and is expected to reach xx USD million by 2025 growing at a CAGR of xx% : Blue... - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Share, Growth, Revenue, Global Industry Analysis and Future Demand |Globalmarketers.biz - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Surge in encrypted malware prompts warning about detection strategies - SecurityBrief Europe - June 30th, 2020
- NexTech AR to supply its video conferencing and virtual events platform to Dallas Independent School District - Proactive Investors UK - June 30th, 2020
- Dutch people are least concerned about safety, survey reveals - IamExpat in the Netherlands - June 30th, 2020
- Only 31% of Americans concerned with data security, despite 400% rise in cyberattacks - TechRepublic - June 24th, 2020
- WatchGuard Technologies Report Finds Two-Thirds of Malware is Encrypted, Invisible Without HTTPS Inspection - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- How To Turn Off Firewall In Windows And Mac - Ubergizmo - June 24th, 2020
- OTF's Work Is Vital for a Free and Open Internet - EFF - June 24th, 2020
- Microsoft acquires CyberX to bolster Azure IoT security - Internet of Things News - IoT Tech News - June 24th, 2020
- Partner Content: ESET and Spire Technology on why you need a Password Manager - PCR-online.biz - June 24th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Google is on a mission to stop you from reusing passwords - The Verge - June 24th, 2020
- Marking the 30th Anniversary of the Internet and Cybersecurity Treaty - CircleID - June 24th, 2020
- The Cyberlaw Podcast: Using the Internet to Cause Emotional Distress is a Felony? - Lawfare - June 24th, 2020
- DDoS Protection Market 2020 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Julian Assange Extradition and the Freedom of Bitcoin Bitcoin... - Bitcoin Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- How to become a web developer? - The Tribune - June 24th, 2020
- Frost & Sullivan Report Finds BlackBerry Solutions Address 96% of the Enterprise Threat Landscape - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- EAC to evaluate testing and certification of non-voting equipment - Politico - June 24th, 2020
- Global IT Security Spending Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Check Point Software Technologies, Cisco Systems, EMC, Fortinet,... - June 24th, 2020
- OPAQ Webinar to Share Lessons Learned and Best Practices from Zero Trust Migration Project with TTX Company - Business Wire - June 24th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technology Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - NJ MMA... - June 24th, 2020
- Put Your Risk on Mute: Using PKI to Simplify Remote Workforce Security - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - June 24th, 2020
- NetNumber Expands Industry Recognized Signaling Firewall to Protect SIP Connections - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- How to fight back against Covid-19 scams - Global Banking And Finance Review - June 24th, 2020
- What Will The Crypto Market Look Like In A Post COVID-19 Economy? | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - June 24th, 2020
- US: Congress Should Back Open Technology Fund - Human Rights Watch - June 21st, 2020
- David Pratt: Will the next global pandemic take place online? - The National - June 21st, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Industry Market Insights, Opportunity, Analysis, Market Shares & Forecast 2020 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- Facial recognition to play key role in travel reopening as biometrics industry weighs social responsibility - Biometric Update - June 21st, 2020
- 'IT Act does not protect freedom of speech' - The Sunday Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Distributed Denial Of Service (DDoS) Protection Market 2020 Key Players A10... - June 21st, 2020
- Cyber Liability Insurance Market (USD 4.6 Billion) Will Grow At A CAGR of 11.12% During Forecast Period 2020-2025 (Impact Analysis of COVID-19) - 3rd... - June 21st, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market research report presents a thorough study on the overall market by Application Forecast To 2020 - Surfacing... - June 21st, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market 2020 SWOT Analysis & Key Business Strategies by Leading Industry Players and Forecast 2025... - June 21st, 2020
- Knoxville still quiet on ransomware attack and what's being done to fix it - Knoxville News Sentinel - June 21st, 2020
- Indias digital workforce needs secure software. Testing, not banning apps, is the answer - ThePrint - June 21st, 2020
- Bolton book can be released, but conduct 'raises grave national security concerns' - ABC News - June 21st, 2020
- Broadband Connection Disconnected: Things You Can Do To Fix It - TelecomTalk - June 21st, 2020
- Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt says there's 'no question' Huawei routed data to Beijing - CNBC - June 21st, 2020
- Dating Apps Exposed 845 GB of Explicit Photos, Chats, and More - WIRED - June 21st, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players - News by aeresearch - June 11th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Size, Development Analysis, Applications and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 11th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of... - June 11th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market Impact Of Covid-19 And Benchmarking. - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 11th, 2020
- Drivers is Responsible to for Increasing Internet Security Software Market Share, Forecast 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 11th, 2020
- Webroot Internet Security with Antivirus Protection Software | 3 Device | 1 Year Subscription | PC Download - The Report - June 11th, 2020
- Endpoint Security Market to Cross US$ 10,026 MN by 2026, Growing Adoption of Work from Home Services to Favor Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - June 11th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole... - June 11th, 2020
- Yukon's Gurdeep Pandher tries to spread some joy on social media - Lindsay Advocate - June 11th, 2020
- Microsoft Windows users in UAE advised to install security updates - Khaleej Times - June 11th, 2020
- Clear guidelines for remote work will boost security and control access - TechRepublic - June 5th, 2020
- Mozilla Funds Meething to Help Fix the Internet - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- The Internet of Bodies is here. This is how it will change our lives - World Economic Forum - June 5th, 2020
- Crowdstrike CEO explains how the future of remote work and security will look - CNBC - June 5th, 2020
- Mocana Recognized as Industry Leader in Cybersecurity and the Industrial Internet of Things - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- SC Awards Europe 2020 - CISO/CSO of the Year - SC Magazine UK - June 5th, 2020