New vehicles fitted with over the air connected technology could be hacked and altered to send the cars anywhere a criminal chooses in a dramatic revelation.Cybersecurity expert Asaf Ashkenazi toldExpress.co.ukinternet connectivity in vehicles means anyone in the world can access a car which could be exploited by hackers.
The founder of cybersecurity firm Verimatrix says motoring companies must prevent easy access to a cars software and identify vulnerabilities to boost security.
The revolution means hackers can, in theory, gain access to connected vehicles which could lead to devastating consequences for road users.
Asaf Ashkenazi said: In fact, its accepted in the development community to expect a certain number of bugs even in finished code.
And thats the startling fact for many consumers that these bugs, whether identified or unidentified, could eventually be exploited by bad actors to attack todays vehicles that are so dependent on that software code to conduct countless actions or checks.
READ MORE:Criminals use WhatsApp to plan car thefts
He added the internet connectivity has created an opportunity for attacks which requires sophisticated code protection to avoid motorists from being exploited.
Modern vehicles are increasingly using technology and internet connectivity to provide road alerts and updates to vehicles.
According to data from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) more than 2.5million road uses have cars featuring self-activating safety systems.
It is predicted the UK will reach a total of 8.6million connected cars in service by 2020.
DON'T MISSSAre electric cars safe to drive in the rain?[TIPS]Tesla new cybertruck destroyed in launch demo[VIDEO]Motorists are at risk from purchasing false parts for used cars[ADVICE]
Ashkenazisaid: Most of the car, though it may not be obvious to the driver, either already uses or at least has that connectivity. In the future, even more parts of the car will be connected.
Hackers forced Fiat Chrysler to recall 14million vehicles in the United States in 2015 after revealing one of their cars could be accessed by cyber criminals.
Security researchers proved it was possible to control the vehicle remotely just by tapping into the internet-connected entertainment system.
Tesla founder Elon Musk as also raised concerns hackers pose by being able to gain access to connected vehicles.
He previously warned it could be the end of tesla if a hacker managed to gainaccessto their autonomous vehicles and send them across the country.
America firm Upstream Security has recorded more than 260 worldwide cyber-attacks on cars since 2010 with 73 recorded alone throughout 2018.
Hackers are believed to be interested in gaining access to personal data stored in vehicles because of internet capabilities.
Vehicles are often paired with mobile devices which gives hackers potential access to contacts, emails and information about the destinations they have visited.
According to Upstream Security, there are more attacks on vehicles through servers than keyless car entry in the United States.
Reducing the threat to connected cars
Manufacturers have been investing in security and testing to make sure their cars are as safe as possible from cyber-attacks.
Engineering and defence firm Chemring says the only way to lower the risk is to introduce a baseline level of security that works across the industry.
They say the baseline standard must be adhered to by every manufacturer to guarantee the highest levels of protection.
Elon Musk has previously floated the idea of having an instant kill switch that would be able to turn off a cars internet connectivity and override the hackers to return the vehicle back to manual control.
Asaf Ashkenazi has toldExpress.co.ukhis Verimatrix firm is working to create security that prevents easy access to software and provides the latest possible security measures.
He adds: Good code protection makes it difficult to reverse engineer code, alerts to suspicious actions, and prevents unauthorised code execution in the first place.
Its absolutely needed into todays cars. Otherwise, the industry could face potentially chaotic or even dangerous scenarios that might affect far more than an automakers reputation.
- Get In Depth Analysis Of How Covid-19 Is Impacting The Internet Security Software Market - The Daily Chronicle - September 12th, 2020
- Better late than never: Zoom boosts security with 2FA - Verdict - September 12th, 2020
- Show and Tell: The Gryphon Tower Mesh Wi-Fi Security Router - Grit Daily - September 12th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Drivers, Outlook, Analysis And Forecast To 2028 -... - September 12th, 2020
- Ensuring cyber awareness in the healthcare sector - Help Net Security - September 12th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast by 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 12th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2027: Dataintelo - Scientect - September 12th, 2020
- Kaspersky: 37% of internet users in SEA think they won't be targeted by cybercriminals - SoyaCincau.com - September 12th, 2020
- TikTok and WeChat may raise security concerns, but Trump's knee-jerk reaction isn't the way to deal with them - NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - September 12th, 2020
- Helping companies prioritize their cybersecurity investments - MIT News - September 6th, 2020
- Rapid7 NICER - starting a conversation on internet security | Company Report - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - September 6th, 2020
- Kansans are getting letters saying they applied for unemployment. The problem? Some never did. - Pittsburg Morning Sun - September 6th, 2020
- Embedded Security For Internet Of Things Market 2025 Opportunities, Applications, Drivers, Limitations, Companies, Countries, & Forecast - Express... - September 6th, 2020
- Why should you use a VPN on your iPhone and Mac? - Cult of Mac - September 6th, 2020
- 'No longer safe in their classroom:' NHCS remote-learning session hacked, sexualized profanity used - Port City Daily - September 6th, 2020
- How Romania is Solving Technology and Poverty Disparities - Borgen Project - September 6th, 2020
- How government is delivering better election security - GCN.com - September 6th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Report: Regional Data Analysis By Production, Revenue, Price And Gross Margin - Kewaskum Statesman News... - September 6th, 2020
- What is the quantum internet? Everything you need to know about the weird future of quantum networks - ZDNet - September 6th, 2020
- How automation testing stays crucial to the future of Internet of Things (IoT) - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - September 6th, 2020
- One of the largest internet outages ever recorded occurred this weekend - TechRadar - September 6th, 2020
- A third of companies are exposing unsafe network services to the internet - BetaNews - September 6th, 2020
- Meet The New Anonymous100 Million BTS ARMY And K-Pop Stans, A Cyber Threat To Be Reckoned With - Forbes - September 6th, 2020
- Is Wall Street winning in China? - The Economist - September 6th, 2020
- 60 Seconds In Cybersecurity: Heres What Happens In Just One Malicious Internet Minute - Forbes - August 28th, 2020
- Research Report prospects the Internet Security Software Market - Owned - August 28th, 2020
- Cyber Security Market to Benefit from Increasing Application of AI and IoT Technologies - GlobeNewswire - August 28th, 2020
- Hackers are exploiting the 'Internet of Things' - ITProPortal - August 28th, 2020
- Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Protection Market Will Generate New Growth Opportunities in the next upcoming year - The Daily Chronicle - August 28th, 2020
- IT Security Market to Remain Competitive | Major Giants Continuously Expanding Market - The News Brok - August 28th, 2020
- Internet Of Things Iot Security Market : Global Industry Analysis And Opportunity Assessment 2026 Cisco Systems, Inc., Ibm Corporation, Intel... - August 28th, 2020
- Click Fraud Risk as Smartphone Is Discovered with Pre-Installed Malware - Infosecurity Magazine - August 28th, 2020
- The ability to hear, be heard and be understood is vital The importance of audio communication devices in security - IFSEC Global - August 28th, 2020
- Wrap your ears around Episode 451 of the Two Blokes Talking Tech podcast - Tech Guide - August 28th, 2020
- Taking stock of the Chinese factor in American elections - Arab News - August 28th, 2020
- How to choose and set up a business VPN - TechRadar - August 28th, 2020
- Internet Grows to 370.1 Million Domain Name Registrations at the End of the Second Quarter of 2020 - Social News XYZ - August 28th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Latest Innovation, Trends and Forecast 2019 2025 - Scientect - August 28th, 2020
- The TikTok Ban Should Worry Every Company - Harvard Business Review - August 28th, 2020
- TLS and VPN Flaws Offer Most Pen Tester Access - Infosecurity Magazine - August 28th, 2020
- The Center for Internet Security (CIS) Use Cases and Cost Justification - Security Boulevard - August 10th, 2020
- Peering into the Future of Sino-Russian Cyber Security Cooperation - War on the Rocks - August 10th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Industry Market Sales, Price, Revenue, Gross Margin and Industry Share 2020-2025 - Express Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Insights on the Cyber Security Global Market to 2028 - Featuring Dell Technologies, Fireeye & Fortinet Among Others - GlobeNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- So What Does Trump Have Against TikTok? - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Development, Key Opportunity, Application & Forecast to 2025 - Chelanpress - August 10th, 2020
- Someone just dumped 20GB of internal Intel data on the Internet - TechSpot - August 10th, 2020
- Malaysia Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Global Future Trend, Segmentation, Business Growth, Top Key Players, Opportunities and... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2020 Competitive Analysis Cisco Systems, Intel Corporation, IBM Corporation - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- Common Internet of Things security pitfalls Urgent Comms - Urgent Communications - July 29th, 2020
- US starts work on making virtually unhackable internet a reality; All you need to know about Quantum Internet - The Financial Express - July 29th, 2020
- Internet Of Everything (IoE) Market Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Application Forecast - Market Research Posts - July 29th, 2020
- What are you giving away on social media? | IT PRO - IT PRO - July 29th, 2020
- Explained: Why is spyware, stalkerware gaining traction during the pandemic? - The Indian Express - July 29th, 2020
- Are we seeing the beginnings of an Indian internet? - Deccan Herald - July 29th, 2020
- What the Tech? Check Your Internet Security When Working from Home - Alabama News Network - July 27th, 2020
- Security of the internet is improving, but there is work to be done - Security Magazine - July 27th, 2020
- Outlook on the Internet Security Software Market to 2025 by Application, End-user and Geography - CueReport - July 27th, 2020
- U.S. Government Says Its Building A Virtually Unhackable Quantum Internet - Forbes - July 27th, 2020
- Amid 'heightened tensions,' US government issues warning to critical infrastructure providers - Utility Dive - July 27th, 2020
- The global Internet of Things (IoT) security market size is expected to grow from USD 12.5 billion in 2020 to USD 36.6 billion by 2025, at a Compound... - July 27th, 2020
- WISeKey to Showcase its Cybersecurity Solutions for Artificial Intelligence Used in Drones and Robots at SIDO 2020 - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- Various Politicians, Companies, And Activists Are Targeted By A Secretive Industry - See How India Has Become A Hire-for-hack Place For Other... - July 27th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market Forecasts and Opportunity Assessment Analysis 2019-2025 - Owned - July 27th, 2020
- ESET scores high in the Business Security Test 2020 - My Startup World - July 27th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | KEY PLAYERS MARKET WITH COVID-19... - July 27th, 2020
- The 12 Coolest AWS Tools Of 2020 (So Far) - CRN - July 27th, 2020
- Smart Home Market with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by Product, Software & Services, and Region - Global Forecast to 2025 - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- MailVault ties up with BD Soft as the National Distributor, for the Indian Markets - CRN.in - July 27th, 2020
- WISeKey Appoints Ben Stump as Chief Revenue Officer to Drive the Next Phase of its Global Growth - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- 4G internet not a security concern, no objection restoring it: JK admin tells Centre - The Kashmir Walla - July 27th, 2020
- This Is a Good Time to Buy Fastly Stock on the Dip - InvestorPlace - July 27th, 2020
- How firms are keeping staff and secrets safe from hackers now everyone is working remotely - CNBC - July 27th, 2020
- Cloudflare goes down, and takes the internet's security blanket with it - Mashable - July 23rd, 2020
- Should You Connect Your Brain to the Internet? - Security Boulevard - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market Growth Rate and Opportunities By 2025 With COVID-19 Outbreak, Top Players: HPE, IBM, Intel, Symantec, AlienVault,... - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market 2020 Growth Rate, Gross Margin, Competitive Situation and Trends, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- How Coronavirus Pandemic Will Impact Internet Security Software Market Size, Growth Opportunitis, Current trends, Forecast By 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- IT Security Consulting Services Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the... - July 23rd, 2020
- Scammers prey on Coronavirus fears - The Tomahawk - July 23rd, 2020