Written by Aashish Aryan, Edited by Explained Desk | New Delhi | Updated: July 28, 2020 7:20:59 am The usage of these apps, the company had in its note said, increased during lockdown in the backdrop of heightened domestic violence cases. (File Photo)
Global cyber-security leader Avast has in a note warned that there was a 51 per cent increase in the use of spyware and stalkerware during the lockdown period from March to June. The usage of these apps, the company had in its note said, increased during lockdown in the backdrop of heightened domestic violence cases.
Spy and stalkerware apps, like viruses and other malware, infect devices that are connected to the internet. While viruses and malware can be detected by anti-virus software, spyware and stalkerware apps disguise themselves as useful and send out stolen data to central servers without the knowledge of the users.
Ironically, most spyware and stalkerware apps disguise themselves as anti-theft applications that can be used to track in case the device is stolen or gets lost, cyber-security experts warn.
A spyware app, which can also be installed remotely, accesses the data usage pattern of the device, gains access to photos and videos as well as other personal information of the user, and then passes it off to a central server.
On the other hand, in most cases, a stalkerware app can be installed only when someone has physical access to the digitally connected device. Though the app works in a manner similar to spyware apps, it goes a step ahead and also gives out the location of the device to a master device which controls the stalkerware app.
Most stalkerware apps work in stealth mode with no trace of the app having ever been installed. Once installed, such apps can allow the master device to control, intercept, and even change your emails, text messages and your communication on social media platforms, a Pune-based cyber-security expert said.
Express Explainedis now onTelegram. Clickhere to join our channel (@ieexplained)and stay updated with the latest
There are two of three-types of spyware and stalkerware applications. For spyware apps, the easiest method is to disguise the spying code inside the unauthorised versions of premium apps.
For example, someone can claim to have a cracked version of a premium app such as Spotify. Now, whoever installs such apps can be remotely tracked easily. Since the code of the application (inside which the spyware codes are hidden) do not spy on the users, such codes pass the scrutiny of anti-virus programmes, said the expert, who also works with government and security agencies.
Stalkerware apps on the other hand, seek explicit permissions at the time of their installation. Once the app is installed in the phone, it can be hidden from the apps menu into the background, from where they continue functioning.
There are some dedicated apps which people install on their partners or their kids phones. When you install such apps, it asks for permissions such as access to gallery locations, call logs among other things. Once you do that, the master device which has a dashboard can see whatever is going on with the other device, Guwahati-based independent cyber-security researcher Indrajeet Bhuyan said.
Also read | Google to restrict ads for tracking technology, spyware
One of the main reasons, experts said, is the increased usage of internet by everyone due to various lockdown measures in place.
With apprehensions around Covid still in place, everything has gone online. Anything and everything which could bought offline from a market is now at your doorstep. But bringing that to the doorstep requires going online, which is where the opportunities for cyber criminals come, the Pune-based expert said.
Another reason, highlighted by the UN Women in a report in April, was security, health, and money worries which was further accentuated by cramped and confided living spaces.
Emerging data shows that since the outbreak of COVID-19, reports of violence against women, and particularly domestic violence, have increased in several countries as security, health, and money worries create tensions and strains accentuated by the cramped and confined living conditions of lockdown, the UN women had said in its report.
The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
For all the latest Explained News, download Indian Express App.
The Indian Express (P) Ltd
- Network Security: Don't Trust And Verify - IT Jungle - October 23rd, 2020
- Akamai Reveals State of Internet: Threats to Retailers - Solutions Review - October 23rd, 2020
- Verisign Reports Third Quarter 2020 Results | Business | The Daily News - Galveston County Daily News - October 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Software Market Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, Threats, Trends, Applications, And Growth Forecast To (2026). -... - October 23rd, 2020
- Nokia Threat Intelligence Report warns of rising cyberattacks on internet-connected devices - GlobeNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Cybersecurity and a potential Biden White House: Past tech priorities resurrected - SC Magazine - October 23rd, 2020
- Virgin Media has an important new feature, but switching it on will cost you - Express - October 23rd, 2020
- WISeKey and OpSec Security Partnership Establishes Trust Between Brands and their Customers through Improved Customer Engagement - GlobeNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Internet Of Things Iot Security Market Economic Perspective And Forecast To 2027 - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Why cybercriminals have 'Gone Vishing' during the COVID-19 Pandemic - Bdaily - October 23rd, 2020
- Insights on the Digital Security Control Global Market to 2027 - Strategic Recommendations for New Entrants - GlobeNewswire - October 17th, 2020
- More than 25% of Cypriots concerned about internet security - Cyprus Mail - October 17th, 2020
- 5 things you can do to secure your home office without hiring an expert - We Live Security - October 17th, 2020
- Beyond Speed and Reliability: Security Is a New Differentiator - Security Boulevard - October 17th, 2020
- Nationwide and Generali Global Assistance Partner to Enhance Identity Theft Protection - Insurance News Net - October 17th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market 2020 Impact of COVID-19, Future Growth Analysis and Challenges | Cisco Systems, Inc, IBM... - October 17th, 2020
- Is BlackBerry (TSX:BB) Stock a Buy on the Latest News? - The Motley Fool Canada - October 17th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things or IoT Security Market to Reach $22 Billion+ Valuation by 2027, Largely Due to Blockchain Adoption - Crowdfund Insider - October 17th, 2020
- Internet Security Market with COVID-19 Recovery Analysis 2020 | Rapid Adoption of BYOD Policy to Boost Market Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - October 8th, 2020
- Tenable and the CIS Enter Partnership to Bolster Cyber Hygiene - AiThority - October 8th, 2020
- How to Build Smart Banks that Connect Customers with Modern DX - AiThority - October 8th, 2020
- #NCSAM: Is Connected Ever Going to be Protected? - Infosecurity Magazine - October 8th, 2020
- Cyber Security Awareness Month is here! - We Live Security - October 2nd, 2020
- Internet security Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - October 2nd, 2020
- Latest Report on Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Analysis, Growth, Opportunity and Regional Insights 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 2nd, 2020
- Remarks by Henrietta Fore, UNICEF Executive Director, at Security Council meeting on universal connectivity & access to digital technology in... - October 2nd, 2020
- Lessons learned from firsthand experience on how to avoid internet fraud and other forms of cyberattacks (opinion) - Inside Higher Ed - October 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Internet Security Audit Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with Top players: Symantec, Intel Security, IBM, Cisco,... - October 2nd, 2020
- Internet Security Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top Players: HPE,... - September 30th, 2020
- The Top Internet of Things (IoT) Authentication Methods and Options - Security Boulevard - September 30th, 2020
- How Trusted Internet Connections Is Focusing Telework with TIC 3.0 - FedTech Magazine - September 30th, 2020
- Is your business looking for an extra layer of security - here's why a VPN may be the answer - TechRadar - September 30th, 2020
- A business connected to the cloud needs cloud-ready security, connectivity - Techgoondu - September 30th, 2020
- The 6 key races you haven't heard of that may help decide how we secure our elections - POLITICO - September 30th, 2020
- Get In Depth Analysis Of How Covid-19 Is Impacting The Internet Security Software Market - Unica News - September 30th, 2020
- Study finds over 4-in-10 WFH employees in SEA find it hard to switch-off after work - Backend News - September 30th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Secure Your Home Network - The Good Men Project - September 29th, 2020
- How To Make Peace With Your Internet Passwords - Forbes - September 29th, 2020
- Five Types of Cyber Security for Organizational Safety - Analytics Insight - September 29th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Competitive Research and Precise Outlook 2020 to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- IT Security Spending Market Analysis highlights the Impact of covid-19 (2020-2026) | Check Point Software Technologies, Cisco Systems, EMC, Fortinet,... - September 29th, 2020
- Schrdingers Web offers a sneak peek at the quantum internet - Science News - September 29th, 2020
- Counter-Terrorism: Raiders Of The Lost Cache - Strategy Page - September 29th, 2020
- Trending 2020: Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Analysis, Size, Trends and Forecast to 2025| Cisco Systems, Intel Corporation, IBM Corporation... - September 29th, 2020
- IoT coffee machine hacked to demand ransom - IT PRO - September 29th, 2020
- Show me who bans TikTok and I'll show you your (future) allies | TheHill - The Hill - September 27th, 2020
- Lokibot keylogger infections are growing across the internet - Komando - September 27th, 2020
- Evasive Malware Threats on the Rise Despite Decline in Overall Attacks - Infosecurity Magazine - September 27th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market size, development, key opportunity, application and forecast to 2026 | Check Point Security Software Technologies,... - September 27th, 2020
- Fears mount over Russian and Chinese hackers targeting the 2020 U.S. presidential election - CNBC - September 27th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security market to Witness Increase in Revenues by 2016-2028 - Crypto Daily - September 27th, 2020
- How to leave no trace on the internet when using a VPN? - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - September 27th, 2020
- 2020 Demand In Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market By Key Types, Regions, Countries, Top Companies Competition, Consumers, Import-Export Forecast... - September 27th, 2020
- How the Pandemic Pushed a Generation of Americans to Discover the Perks (and Risks) of Online Banking - NextAdvisor - September 27th, 2020
- IT Security-as-a-Service Market 2020 By Manufacturers, Regions, Type And Application, Forecast To 2025| Blue Coat, Cisco, IBM, Intel Security,... - September 27th, 2020
- APT groups actively target Linux-based workstations and servers - Backend News - September 27th, 2020
- Critical steps for securing cyberspace - Microsoft on the Issues - Microsoft - September 27th, 2020
- Proven ways to stay ahead of configuration drift - ITProPortal - September 27th, 2020
- Global Embedded Security For Internet Of Things Market 2020 Trends Analysis and (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | Key Players Market With COVID-19 Impact... - September 27th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technology Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19... - September 27th, 2020
- REMOTE WORKING: PROGRESS AND PERILS - Forbes Africa - September 27th, 2020
- Avoid scam 'DMV' websites | Sedona.Biz - The Internet Voice of Sedona and The Verde Valley - Sedona.biz - September 27th, 2020
- Get In Depth Analysis Of How Covid-19 Is Impacting The Internet Security Software Market - The Daily Chronicle - September 12th, 2020
- Better late than never: Zoom boosts security with 2FA - Verdict - September 12th, 2020
- Show and Tell: The Gryphon Tower Mesh Wi-Fi Security Router - Grit Daily - September 12th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Drivers, Outlook, Analysis And Forecast To 2028 -... - September 12th, 2020
- Ensuring cyber awareness in the healthcare sector - Help Net Security - September 12th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast by 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 12th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2027: Dataintelo - Scientect - September 12th, 2020
- Kaspersky: 37% of internet users in SEA think they won't be targeted by cybercriminals - SoyaCincau.com - September 12th, 2020
- TikTok and WeChat may raise security concerns, but Trump's knee-jerk reaction isn't the way to deal with them - NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - September 12th, 2020
- Helping companies prioritize their cybersecurity investments - MIT News - September 6th, 2020
- Rapid7 NICER - starting a conversation on internet security | Company Report - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - September 6th, 2020
- Kansans are getting letters saying they applied for unemployment. The problem? Some never did. - Pittsburg Morning Sun - September 6th, 2020
- Embedded Security For Internet Of Things Market 2025 Opportunities, Applications, Drivers, Limitations, Companies, Countries, & Forecast - Express... - September 6th, 2020
- Why should you use a VPN on your iPhone and Mac? - Cult of Mac - September 6th, 2020
- 'No longer safe in their classroom:' NHCS remote-learning session hacked, sexualized profanity used - Port City Daily - September 6th, 2020
- How Romania is Solving Technology and Poverty Disparities - Borgen Project - September 6th, 2020
- How government is delivering better election security - GCN.com - September 6th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Report: Regional Data Analysis By Production, Revenue, Price And Gross Margin - Kewaskum Statesman News... - September 6th, 2020