The vast majority of Ohios county boards of elections havent installed the digital burglar alarm that Secretary of State Frank LaRose says helped his office detect a hacking attempt of his offices website on Election Day.
With less than two months to go before the deadline LaRose imposed for installation of the so-called Albert systems, just 13 out of Ohios 88 county boards of elections have operational alarms. The remaining 75 have until Jan. 31 to install them.
The most important consequence is not being prepared, LaRose said Friday after the start of a daylong security conference for county elections officials in Columbus. This is too important to take lightly.
Franklin County has had an Albert sensor in place since May 2018, with other network sensors in place at the Franklin County data center before that.
But even with the threat of digital attacks, LaRose said Ohios election procedures are secure. None of the equipment used to cast or tally ballots is connected to the internet. Doing so would violate Ohio law.
In June, LaRose issued a security directive to county boards instructing them to install the alarms, conduct assessments and training on physical threats and cybersecurity and change email systems, among other measures.
So far, 52 counties have completed half of the security directives instructions, and all of them have requested security support from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Stark moving forward
Sean Durkin, director of information technology for Stark County, said his department is in the process of installing the Albert systems that detect online intrusions. And it is on track to finish by the January deadline set by the Secretary of State.
Durkin declined to provide specifics, citing security.
"I'm not comfortable stating where we are exactly with that," Durkin said. "But we are moving along just fine with all the changes they've asked us to implement. We look to be fully compliant by the they said (the Secretary of State's directive) had to be fulfilled by."
Stark County Auditor Alan Harold, who oversees Durkin's department, said it's not clear yet what the costs to the county will be. Under the agreement, the county is responsible for the costs of maintaining the hardware and software provided by Center for Internet Security.
Durkin said in compliance with the Secretary of State's directive, his department performed security assessments of the Board of Elections' computers between April and August and the county's email system is in compliance with the Secretary of State's standards.
LaRose said he is optimistic about the prospects of the boards meeting the Jan. 31 deadline now that they are past the November election. That drew nervous laughter from the assembled elections officials.
The Election Day 2019 hacking attempt came from the Russian company OKPay Investment but was traced to Panama, according to the secretary of states office.
A real threat
LaRose has called the attack on his offices website unsophisticated, but on Friday he said it was different from the typical carpet bomb hacks that search for security holes. Instead, it specifically targeted the voter registration form on his website and the voter lookup tool that is used frequently on Election Day to find polling places and determine what is on the ballot.
The goal of such attacks is to undermine the credibility of elections in the minds of voters and make the average voter wonder if its worth it to go to the polls, he said.
We know that the threat is very real, LaRose said. We know that the threat comes from a variety of sources, that these sources include state actors, that these sources include people with motivations such as financial reward or notoriety or fame.
The state hopes to combat some of what LaRose called dedicated and well-resourced opponents with the launch of a cyber reserve under the Ohio National Guard. That was created with the passage of an elections-security bill earlier this year.
The cyber reserve will operate similarly to the military reservists in the National Guard, with regular training and mobilization initiated by Gov. Mike DeWine. The state is recruiting cyber professionals across the state to be part of the first cyber reserve teams, which should be up and running by the end of January, said Maj. Gen. John Harris, adjutant general of the Ohio National Guard.
The goal of the reservists will be to mitigate consequences of a cyberattack and to return systems that have been attacked to working order, Harris said. They will be available for hacks of any government entity, not just elections boards.
In a room full of elections officials in jackets, ties and dresses, Harris said he made the conscious decision to don military fatigues, as he always does when discussing cybersecurity, to make a point about the digital war that is being waged.
Policy around the digital fight is lagging, he said. He compared the current way government addresses cybersecurity to a military group under attack that just keeps building thicker walls rather than mounting an offensive.
"We dont think about the digital battlefield and the importance of the digital battlefield. We are engaged today in a pretty significant digital fight, Harris said. "It is truly a persistent fight and one we're engaged in every single day."
- Common Internet of Things security pitfalls Urgent Comms - Urgent Communications - July 29th, 2020
- US starts work on making virtually unhackable internet a reality; All you need to know about Quantum Internet - The Financial Express - July 29th, 2020
- Internet Of Everything (IoE) Market Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Application Forecast - Market Research Posts - July 29th, 2020
- What are you giving away on social media? | IT PRO - IT PRO - July 29th, 2020
- Explained: Why is spyware, stalkerware gaining traction during the pandemic? - The Indian Express - July 29th, 2020
- Are we seeing the beginnings of an Indian internet? - Deccan Herald - July 29th, 2020
- What the Tech? Check Your Internet Security When Working from Home - Alabama News Network - July 27th, 2020
- Security of the internet is improving, but there is work to be done - Security Magazine - July 27th, 2020
- Outlook on the Internet Security Software Market to 2025 by Application, End-user and Geography - CueReport - July 27th, 2020
- U.S. Government Says Its Building A Virtually Unhackable Quantum Internet - Forbes - July 27th, 2020
- Amid 'heightened tensions,' US government issues warning to critical infrastructure providers - Utility Dive - July 27th, 2020
- The global Internet of Things (IoT) security market size is expected to grow from USD 12.5 billion in 2020 to USD 36.6 billion by 2025, at a Compound... - July 27th, 2020
- WISeKey to Showcase its Cybersecurity Solutions for Artificial Intelligence Used in Drones and Robots at SIDO 2020 - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- Various Politicians, Companies, And Activists Are Targeted By A Secretive Industry - See How India Has Become A Hire-for-hack Place For Other... - July 27th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market Forecasts and Opportunity Assessment Analysis 2019-2025 - Owned - July 27th, 2020
- ESET scores high in the Business Security Test 2020 - My Startup World - July 27th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | KEY PLAYERS MARKET WITH COVID-19... - July 27th, 2020
- The 12 Coolest AWS Tools Of 2020 (So Far) - CRN - July 27th, 2020
- Smart Home Market with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by Product, Software & Services, and Region - Global Forecast to 2025 - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- MailVault ties up with BD Soft as the National Distributor, for the Indian Markets - CRN.in - July 27th, 2020
- WISeKey Appoints Ben Stump as Chief Revenue Officer to Drive the Next Phase of its Global Growth - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- 4G internet not a security concern, no objection restoring it: JK admin tells Centre - The Kashmir Walla - July 27th, 2020
- This Is a Good Time to Buy Fastly Stock on the Dip - InvestorPlace - July 27th, 2020
- How firms are keeping staff and secrets safe from hackers now everyone is working remotely - CNBC - July 27th, 2020
- Cloudflare goes down, and takes the internet's security blanket with it - Mashable - July 23rd, 2020
- Should You Connect Your Brain to the Internet? - Security Boulevard - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market Growth Rate and Opportunities By 2025 With COVID-19 Outbreak, Top Players: HPE, IBM, Intel, Symantec, AlienVault,... - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market 2020 Growth Rate, Gross Margin, Competitive Situation and Trends, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- How Coronavirus Pandemic Will Impact Internet Security Software Market Size, Growth Opportunitis, Current trends, Forecast By 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- IT Security Consulting Services Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the... - July 23rd, 2020
- Scammers prey on Coronavirus fears - The Tomahawk - July 23rd, 2020
- Popular Chinese-Made Drone Is Found to Have Security Weakness - The New York Times - July 23rd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Marketplace 2020-2025 - Google, Cisco, IBM, and Intel Leading the IoT Revolution - WFMZ Allentown - July 23rd, 2020
- Digital culture in the age of COVID-19: Viral 'U' creators and politiktoks - The Michigan Daily - July 23rd, 2020
- Global IT Security Market 2025 To Expect Maximum Benefit and Growth Potential During this COVID 19 Outbreak During this COVID 19 Outbreak: Blue Coat,... - July 23rd, 2020
- Securing Travel and Transportation Operations - Security Intelligence - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Cloud DDoS Mitigation Software Market 2025 Potential Scope for Growth in This Pandamic : Amazon Web Services, Microsoft, Webroot, Google,... - July 23rd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Foresees Skyrocketing Growth in the Coming Years - Market Research Posts - July 23rd, 2020
- DDoS Protection Market 2020 | In-Depth Study On The Current State Of The Industry And Key Insights Of The Business Scenario By 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 23rd, 2020
- Exhaustive Study on DDoS Protection and Mitigation Market 2020 | Strategic Assessment by Top Players Akamai Technologies; Imperva; Radware - 3rd Watch... - July 23rd, 2020
- IT spending on Internet connectivity, security to rise in India: Report - Business Insider India - July 6th, 2020
- VPNs are the need-of-the-hour for safe and fast connections as we work-from-home - The Hindu - July 6th, 2020
- What is network security in the cloud computing era? - TechRadar - July 6th, 2020
- Revealed: How home router manufacturers dropped the ball on security - TechHive - July 6th, 2020
- Malaysia Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Akamai Is an Overlooked Web Infrastructure Play. Its a Buy, Analyst Says. - Barron's - July 6th, 2020
- According to Latest Report on Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market to Grow with an Impressive CAGR - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Enterprise Firewall Market Overview and Regional Outlook with Research Study 2019 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- How Have I Been Pwned became the keeper of the internets biggest data breaches - TechCrunch - July 6th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Trends, Opportunities, Key Players, Growth, Analysis, Outlook & Forecasts To 2026 - Daily Research... - July 6th, 2020
- WISeKey develops WIShelter Covid-19 secured smartphone app, using digital IDs and blockchain protocols, to certify users that are not infected with... - July 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies Adding to the Safety and Security in the UK Gambling Industry - London Post - July 6th, 2020
- Voice recordings from domestic violence alerting app exposed on the internet - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- The lack of women in cybersecurity puts us all at greater risk - The Next Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cascading Security Through the Internet of Things Supply Chain - Lawfare - June 30th, 2020
- How to Build the Right Security Assessment - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- Apple may have just changed a key part of how the internet works - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Indians most concerned about identity theft - Fortune India - June 30th, 2020
- Deeper Connect Mini: Decentralized, Private and Secure Internet for the People, launching June 30th on Indiegogo. - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security: Technologies and Global Markets - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Could Donald Trump claim a national security threat to shut down the internet? - Brookings Institution - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market Strategic Insights 2020 with analysis of Leading players: Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco... - June 30th, 2020
- Global IT Security Market is accounted for xx USD million in 2019 and is expected to reach xx USD million by 2025 growing at a CAGR of xx% : Blue... - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Share, Growth, Revenue, Global Industry Analysis and Future Demand |Globalmarketers.biz - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Surge in encrypted malware prompts warning about detection strategies - SecurityBrief Europe - June 30th, 2020
- NexTech AR to supply its video conferencing and virtual events platform to Dallas Independent School District - Proactive Investors UK - June 30th, 2020
- Dutch people are least concerned about safety, survey reveals - IamExpat in the Netherlands - June 30th, 2020
- Only 31% of Americans concerned with data security, despite 400% rise in cyberattacks - TechRepublic - June 24th, 2020
- WatchGuard Technologies Report Finds Two-Thirds of Malware is Encrypted, Invisible Without HTTPS Inspection - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- How To Turn Off Firewall In Windows And Mac - Ubergizmo - June 24th, 2020
- OTF's Work Is Vital for a Free and Open Internet - EFF - June 24th, 2020
- Microsoft acquires CyberX to bolster Azure IoT security - Internet of Things News - IoT Tech News - June 24th, 2020
- Partner Content: ESET and Spire Technology on why you need a Password Manager - PCR-online.biz - June 24th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Google is on a mission to stop you from reusing passwords - The Verge - June 24th, 2020
- Marking the 30th Anniversary of the Internet and Cybersecurity Treaty - CircleID - June 24th, 2020
- The Cyberlaw Podcast: Using the Internet to Cause Emotional Distress is a Felony? - Lawfare - June 24th, 2020
- DDoS Protection Market 2020 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Julian Assange Extradition and the Freedom of Bitcoin Bitcoin... - Bitcoin Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- How to become a web developer? - The Tribune - June 24th, 2020