Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows 7 with security updates. In other words, Windows 7 is now just like Windows XPan older operating system that will gradually accumulate unpatched security holes. Heres how to keep it as secure as possible.
We recommend upgrading to Windows 10. In fact, you can still upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. But, if youre sticking with Windows 7 for now, we have some security tips.
We recommend businesses and other organizations pay for extended security updates if they still use Windows 7. This option isnt available to home users, and the exact price of the updates depends on whether you have Windows 7 Enterprise or Windows 7 Professional.
RELATED: How to Upgrade to Windows 10 From Windows 7 for Free
Even if you need Windows 7 for some reason, you dont have to use it for everything. If you need Windows 7 to interface with a specific hardware device or run a software program that doesnt run on Windows 10, we recommend keeping that Windows 7 computer off your network, if possible.
Malicious websites and other network-based attacks wont be an issue. Your Windows 7 system cant be compromised and turned against other devices on your network. You wont have to worry about security issues if the Windows 7 system is cut off from the dangerous internet.
If you need to run an older software program that doesnt run on Windows 10, it may also be worth upgrading to Windows 10 and running that older application in a Windows 7 virtual machine on your Windows 10 desktop. Bear in mind that most older applications will run just fine on Windows 10, so this shouldnt be necessary for most applications.
We know that many people will continue running Windows 7 and connecting it to the internet. If you are, weve got some security tips for locking things down.
RELATED: Windows 7 Dies Today: Here's What You Need to Know
We recommend running a good antimalware tool that still supports Windows 7. Be sure its actively receiving updates.
Microsoft says it no longer offers downloads its own Microsoft Security Essentials tool, although MSE still seems available for download on Microsofts website. Perhaps Microsoft plans to pull the downloads soon. However, if you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, it will continue receiving malware signature updates until 2023.
Other security software companies still offer antiviruses that are supported on Windows 7. For example, Lifehacker recommendsBitdefender Free.
Whatever you pick, we also recommend Malwarebytes. The free version of Malwarebytes will let you perform manual scans to remove malware and other junk software from your system, and it also runs on Windows 7.
Microsoft has axed its EMET security tool that helps protect against attacks in favor of the Exploit Protection built into Windows 10. However, anti-exploit software is built into the Premium version of Malwarebytes.
If youre still using Windows 7, you should definitely avoid running Internet Explorer. Even Microsoft has recommended moving off of Internet Explorer to a more modern, secure browser.
With the operating system itself no longer receiving updates, your security software and web browser take on newfound importance in blocking you from threats online.
If youre using Windows 7, you should definitely visit Windows Update and ensure youre up-to-date with all the updates Microsoft released for it. We also recommend having Windows Update automatically check for updates. Microsoft might release especially critical updates for Windows 7 even after the end of support, just as it did for Windows XP.
Keep en eye out for update news, too. Microsoft released an important security update for Windows XP that you had to manually download back in 2019.
The tips for securing your Windows PC are the same as they ever were. Leave important security features like User Account Control and the Windows Firewall enabled.
Avoid clicking strange links in spam emails or other strange messages sent to youthis is especially important considering it will become easier to exploit Windows 7 in the future. Avoid downloading and running strange files.
RELATED: Basic Computer Security: How to Protect Yourself from Viruses, Hackers, and Thieves
Windows 7 was released a long time ago, so you may have quite a few applications you dont really need installed. Worse yet, they may be outdated.
For example, old versions of browser plug-ins like Java, Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, and QuickTime are all potentially vulnerable to attack. Go through the list of installed programs in Windows 7s Control Panel and remove any applications you dont use.
Ensure all the applications you use are updated to their latest available versions, too. For example, if you still have an old version of WinRAR installed,you need to update it manually or your PC could be vulnerable to malicious ACE archives.
Theres no silver bullet here. Windows 7 will get more dangerous over time as flaws around found. However, the exact attacks Windows 7 is vulnerable to will depend on what security flaws are found, how serious they are, and how easy they are to exploit.
You can keep using Windows 7 and it will still function normallywith some nag messages. Just keep in mind that Microsoft has washed its hands of patching security holes on your machine. We love Windows 7, but its time has passed.
RELATED: RIP Windows 7: We're Going to Miss You
- Voice recordings from domestic violence alerting app exposed on the internet - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- The lack of women in cybersecurity puts us all at greater risk - The Next Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cascading Security Through the Internet of Things Supply Chain - Lawfare - June 30th, 2020
- How to Build the Right Security Assessment - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- Apple may have just changed a key part of how the internet works - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Indians most concerned about identity theft - Fortune India - June 30th, 2020
- Deeper Connect Mini: Decentralized, Private and Secure Internet for the People, launching June 30th on Indiegogo. - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security: Technologies and Global Markets - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Could Donald Trump claim a national security threat to shut down the internet? - Brookings Institution - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market Strategic Insights 2020 with analysis of Leading players: Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco... - June 30th, 2020
- Global IT Security Market is accounted for xx USD million in 2019 and is expected to reach xx USD million by 2025 growing at a CAGR of xx% : Blue... - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Share, Growth, Revenue, Global Industry Analysis and Future Demand |Globalmarketers.biz - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Surge in encrypted malware prompts warning about detection strategies - SecurityBrief Europe - June 30th, 2020
- NexTech AR to supply its video conferencing and virtual events platform to Dallas Independent School District - Proactive Investors UK - June 30th, 2020
- Dutch people are least concerned about safety, survey reveals - IamExpat in the Netherlands - June 30th, 2020
- Only 31% of Americans concerned with data security, despite 400% rise in cyberattacks - TechRepublic - June 24th, 2020
- WatchGuard Technologies Report Finds Two-Thirds of Malware is Encrypted, Invisible Without HTTPS Inspection - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- How To Turn Off Firewall In Windows And Mac - Ubergizmo - June 24th, 2020
- OTF's Work Is Vital for a Free and Open Internet - EFF - June 24th, 2020
- Microsoft acquires CyberX to bolster Azure IoT security - Internet of Things News - IoT Tech News - June 24th, 2020
- Partner Content: ESET and Spire Technology on why you need a Password Manager - PCR-online.biz - June 24th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Google is on a mission to stop you from reusing passwords - The Verge - June 24th, 2020
- Marking the 30th Anniversary of the Internet and Cybersecurity Treaty - CircleID - June 24th, 2020
- The Cyberlaw Podcast: Using the Internet to Cause Emotional Distress is a Felony? - Lawfare - June 24th, 2020
- DDoS Protection Market 2020 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Julian Assange Extradition and the Freedom of Bitcoin Bitcoin... - Bitcoin Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- How to become a web developer? - The Tribune - June 24th, 2020
- Frost & Sullivan Report Finds BlackBerry Solutions Address 96% of the Enterprise Threat Landscape - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- EAC to evaluate testing and certification of non-voting equipment - Politico - June 24th, 2020
- Global IT Security Spending Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Check Point Software Technologies, Cisco Systems, EMC, Fortinet,... - June 24th, 2020
- OPAQ Webinar to Share Lessons Learned and Best Practices from Zero Trust Migration Project with TTX Company - Business Wire - June 24th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technology Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - NJ MMA... - June 24th, 2020
- Put Your Risk on Mute: Using PKI to Simplify Remote Workforce Security - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - June 24th, 2020
- NetNumber Expands Industry Recognized Signaling Firewall to Protect SIP Connections - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- How to fight back against Covid-19 scams - Global Banking And Finance Review - June 24th, 2020
- What Will The Crypto Market Look Like In A Post COVID-19 Economy? | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - June 24th, 2020
- US: Congress Should Back Open Technology Fund - Human Rights Watch - June 21st, 2020
- David Pratt: Will the next global pandemic take place online? - The National - June 21st, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Industry Market Insights, Opportunity, Analysis, Market Shares & Forecast 2020 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- Facial recognition to play key role in travel reopening as biometrics industry weighs social responsibility - Biometric Update - June 21st, 2020
- 'IT Act does not protect freedom of speech' - The Sunday Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Distributed Denial Of Service (DDoS) Protection Market 2020 Key Players A10... - June 21st, 2020
- Cyber Liability Insurance Market (USD 4.6 Billion) Will Grow At A CAGR of 11.12% During Forecast Period 2020-2025 (Impact Analysis of COVID-19) - 3rd... - June 21st, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market research report presents a thorough study on the overall market by Application Forecast To 2020 - Surfacing... - June 21st, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market 2020 SWOT Analysis & Key Business Strategies by Leading Industry Players and Forecast 2025... - June 21st, 2020
- Knoxville still quiet on ransomware attack and what's being done to fix it - Knoxville News Sentinel - June 21st, 2020
- Indias digital workforce needs secure software. Testing, not banning apps, is the answer - ThePrint - June 21st, 2020
- Bolton book can be released, but conduct 'raises grave national security concerns' - ABC News - June 21st, 2020
- Broadband Connection Disconnected: Things You Can Do To Fix It - TelecomTalk - June 21st, 2020
- Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt says there's 'no question' Huawei routed data to Beijing - CNBC - June 21st, 2020
- Dating Apps Exposed 845 GB of Explicit Photos, Chats, and More - WIRED - June 21st, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players - News by aeresearch - June 11th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Size, Development Analysis, Applications and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 11th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of... - June 11th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market Impact Of Covid-19 And Benchmarking. - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 11th, 2020
- Drivers is Responsible to for Increasing Internet Security Software Market Share, Forecast 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 11th, 2020
- Webroot Internet Security with Antivirus Protection Software | 3 Device | 1 Year Subscription | PC Download - The Report - June 11th, 2020
- Endpoint Security Market to Cross US$ 10,026 MN by 2026, Growing Adoption of Work from Home Services to Favor Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - June 11th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole... - June 11th, 2020
- Yukon's Gurdeep Pandher tries to spread some joy on social media - Lindsay Advocate - June 11th, 2020
- Microsoft Windows users in UAE advised to install security updates - Khaleej Times - June 11th, 2020
- Clear guidelines for remote work will boost security and control access - TechRepublic - June 5th, 2020
- Mozilla Funds Meething to Help Fix the Internet - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- The Internet of Bodies is here. This is how it will change our lives - World Economic Forum - June 5th, 2020
- Crowdstrike CEO explains how the future of remote work and security will look - CNBC - June 5th, 2020
- Mocana Recognized as Industry Leader in Cybersecurity and the Industrial Internet of Things - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- SC Awards Europe 2020 - CISO/CSO of the Year - SC Magazine UK - June 5th, 2020
- Spike in cryptojacking attempts on devices here, says cyber-security firm - The Straits Times - June 5th, 2020
- The impact of spycraft on how we secure our data - ComputerWeekly.com - June 5th, 2020
- 4 Common Online Frauds That You Need to Know - Techjaja - June 5th, 2020
- This $350 "Anti-5G" Device Is Apparently Just a USB Stick - WIRED - June 5th, 2020
- Cloud DDoS Mitigation Software Market Potential Growth, Share, Demand And Analysis Of Key Players- Analysis Forecasts To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- India wants to be a 'partner of the global economy' in its manufacturing push, minister says - CNBC - June 5th, 2020
- Amid the COVID-19 crisis and the looming economic recession, the Web Content Filtering market worldwide will grow by a projected US$3 Billion, during... - June 5th, 2020
- Mozilla VP of IT: How to stay secure while remote working - BusinessCloud - June 5th, 2020
- 6 ways to delete yourself from the internet - CNET - June 5th, 2020
- Is COVID-19 Making the Internet Sick? - Government Technology - May 27th, 2020
- Thanks to Physics, This Chocolate Is Iridescentand Safe to Eat - Smithsonian.com - May 27th, 2020
- $100 million in bounties paid by HackerOne to ethical hackers - BleepingComputer - May 27th, 2020