Every day your email inbox contains dangerous email scams. But, as the scams - often consisting of "phishing" emails designed by identity thieves to steal your personal information - become more sophisticated, how can you tell a dangerous email from a legitimate one? identitytheft.info worked with Identity Theft Expert Bob Sullivan of MSNBC to create this video warning consumers about the dangers of "phishing" emails.
Just as we secure our homes from burglars seeking to physically break-in and steal our most valuable possessions, we must be equally vigilant in the 21st Century at protecting the valuable information stored on our computers from cybercriminals who constantly attempt to break-in by means of the Internet. And, just as we can deter most burglars from raiding our homes by making it more impenetrable than our neighbors, we can do the same when it comes to erecting defenses against identity thieves and other cybercriminals.
The first line of defense in Internet security is cybercrime awareness. By being aware of the various methods cybercriminals use to penetrate your computer and steal your personal information, you will increase the odds that you wont be a victim of identity theft or other forms of cybercrime.
One of the most common methods identity thieves and cybercriminals use to steal personal information is the use of phishing.
Phishing is a form of social engineering that uses email or instant messages that appear to be from a government agency, financial institution, Internet Service Provider (ISP), Internet-based company or any agency or business you trust and/or do business with. The intent of the phishing communication is to deceive you into divulging personal information such as web site usernames and passwords, credit card numbers, financial account numbers, Social Security numbers, dates of birth and any other form of personal or account information that an identity thief or cybercriminal can use to carry out criminal activity.
A phishing email will either entice you with the promise of money or appeal to your desire to protect your personal information by claiming that your account has been compromised. You will be advised to click on a link in the email in order to receive money or to provide information in order to secure or re-activate your account. The financial enticement or the advice to follow a link and provide additional information in order to secure or re-activate your account is the bait the cybercriminal dangles before you - hence the term phishing. By taking the bait and clicking on the link in a phishing email, you are exposed to at least two risks.
The first risk involved in clicking on any link in a phishing email is that you will be re-directed to a web site that will look similar or identical to the web site the cybercriminal is impersonating. Once at the site, you will be directed to provide personal information that will allow the identity thief or cybercriminal to steal that personal information and use it for financial fraud or other crimes.
The second risk involved in clicking on any link in a phishing email is that you will be activating the execution and installation of a virus that will be surreptitiously installed on your computer. The virus may steal the personal information stored on your computer by transmitting the personal information to the identity thief or cybercriminal who sent you the phishing email. The virus may also take over your computer and turn it into part of a botnet (malicious software robot network) designed to transmit other virus laden emails to thousands of other computers around the world.
The best way to avoid becoming an identity theft victim as the result of falling for a phishing email is to follow two rules. First, never trust an email you didnt request that directs you to provide information in order to obtain a benefit or to secure or re-activate an account. Second, if you do open an email that requests personal or financial information from you, never left-click on a link in the email.
No reputable business or agency will send you an unsolicited email requesting personal or financial information from you. If you believe the email might be legitimate, contact the sending business or agency either by using a web address you've previously bookmarked, one that you obtain independently from the email or by calling a phone number using a listing obtained independently of the email.
Remember: The greatest danger associated with a phishing email is from left-clicking on any links within the email. So think before you click. Better yet dont click at all.
To report a phishing email and help in the fight against identity theft and cyber crime click here.
For more information about phishing emails - and to see several examples of phishing emails commonly placed in circulation - please watch the video above produced by identitytheft.info in cooperation with consumer reporter Bob Sullivan of MSNBC.
Continue reading here:
Internet Security is an important part of Identity Theft ...
- The Internet: Looking Back and Forward 50 Years - Security Boulevard - November 18th, 2019
- Internet security Market Outlook 2019: Business Overview And Top Company Analysis Forecast By 2026 - The Market Publicist - November 18th, 2019
- Cybersecurity and digital trade: What role for international trade rules? - Brookings Institution - November 18th, 2019
- The American Internet Sucks. The Alternative Is China. - BuzzFeed News - November 18th, 2019
- 3 types of email you should never open - AndroidPIT - November 18th, 2019
- When will 5G arrive? - Verizon Communications - November 18th, 2019
- New Bytecode Alliance Brings the Security, Ubiquity, and Interoperability of the Web to the World of Pervasive Computing - Mozilla & Firefox - November 18th, 2019
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2021 22.214.171.1247 - 60% OFF ... - October 23rd, 2019
- Securing Your Wireless Network | FTC Consumer Information - October 14th, 2019
- Amazon.com: Kaspersky Internet Security | 1 Device | 1 ... - October 1st, 2019
- Download ESET Internet Security | ESET - September 30th, 2019
- VPN Publishes Forbes Internet Security Guide for Law Firms - September 18th, 2019
- Avast Internet Security 2019 v19.7.2388 Activation Code ... - September 18th, 2019
- Trend Micro - Simply Security News, Views and Opinions from ... - May 30th, 2019
- Kaspersky Internet Security - Wikipedia - May 13th, 2019
- Anti-Virus Web Protection & Spyware Removal | StopSign ... - May 13th, 2019
- Internet security Great-West Life - ssl.grsaccess.com - March 22nd, 2019
- Download COMODO Internet Security 126.96.36.19944 - softpedia.com - January 31st, 2019
- Avast Internet Security Review 2018 - We Hate Malware - November 8th, 2018
- Security Packages | High-Speed Internet | Windstream - November 8th, 2018
- Antivirus vs Internet Security [Security Software Comparison] - November 8th, 2018
- Internet Security Lectures by Prabhaker Mateti - November 8th, 2018
- Vipre Internet Security 2016 Free Download - Softlay - November 8th, 2018
- Internet security software Reviews 2018 - Compared & Reviewed - November 2nd, 2018
- Exhibit A - Internet Security Requirements - November 2nd, 2018
- CIS Benchmarks - Center for Internet Security - November 2nd, 2018
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 Crack + License Key [Latest] - October 12th, 2018
- Zillya! Internet Security | Best Security Solution for Active ... - October 12th, 2018
- Download Norton Internet Security 188.8.131.52 - softpedia.com - October 9th, 2018
- Avast Internet Security 2018 Activation Code, Serial Key Till ... - October 9th, 2018
- Download Avast Internet Security 18.6.2349 Build 18.6.3983 ... - October 9th, 2018
- Download McAfee Internet Security 19.0 Build 19.0.4016 - October 3rd, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 Free Download - FileHippo - October 3rd, 2018
- Internet Security - Quick Heal - October 3rd, 2018
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2019 v184.108.40.2068 | Software ... - October 3rd, 2018
- VIPRE Internet Security Review & Comparison - September 22nd, 2018
- Internet Security Suite | Verizon Internet - September 20th, 2018
- Antivirus Security Software & Internet Security - Newegg.com - September 19th, 2018
- Amazon Best Sellers: Best Internet Security Suites - September 7th, 2018
- Download Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 220.127.116.11 - August 24th, 2018
- Best (and Worst) Internet Security Software of 2018 for Windows - August 18th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 | 3 Device | 1 ... - August 8th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security - Free download and software reviews ... - August 3rd, 2018
- Top 3 Internet Security Software Suites Reviews ... - July 26th, 2018
- GRC | LeakTest -- Firewall Leakage Tester - July 26th, 2018
- V3 Internet Security | AhnLab - June 22nd, 2018
- Internet Security with Xfinity - Norton Security Online - June 17th, 2018
- Best Internet Security Software Compared - May 25th, 2018
- Computer and internet security software Chili Security - May 21st, 2018
- Internet Security Market Size, Share and Technology, 2021 - May 21st, 2018
- Center for Internet Security - Wikipedia - May 10th, 2018
- Download Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus & Internet ... - May 1st, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 review | Ultimate antivirus ... - April 29th, 2018
- The Internet Security Academy - SAHCOM Technologies LLP - April 27th, 2018
- These files can't be opened. Your Internet security ... - April 20th, 2018
- How to Uninstall Norton Internet Security: 12 Steps - April 20th, 2018
- Internet Security Software at Office Depot OfficeMax - April 19th, 2018
- Why is Internet security important? | Reference.com - March 26th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security Unlimited 2018 18.2.3827 20% OFF ... - March 25th, 2018
- Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security - Download - March 21st, 2018
- Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus: AppLock & Web Security ... - March 21st, 2018
- Why do I Need Internet Security - The High Tech Society - March 21st, 2018
- Cincinnati Bell - Other Services Support - March 21st, 2018
- Internet Security Essentials for Business 2.0 | U.S ... - March 21st, 2018
- ESET Internet Security 10.0.386.0 Crack + License Keys ... - March 21st, 2018
- Privacy and Security in the Internet Age | WIRED - March 19th, 2018
- News & Events | K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filter ... - March 19th, 2018
- 10 Internet Security Programs (for Windows), Ranked Best ... - March 7th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2015 Free Download - getintopc.com - March 3rd, 2018
- McAfee Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - February 28th, 2018
- COMODO Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - January 30th, 2018
- Best Internet Security Software 2018 - The best rated ... - January 28th, 2018
- Comodo Antivirus - Best Virus Removal Software 2018 - January 13th, 2018
- ZoneAlarm Antivirus Software | Virus Protection & Firewall - January 13th, 2018
- What Is the Meaning of Internet Security? | Techwalla.com - January 12th, 2018
- Download Avast Internet Security 17.7.2314 - FileHippo.com - January 12th, 2018
- Vipre Antivirus VIPRE Internet Security - January 12th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 License Key With Crack Full Version - January 8th, 2018
- CA Internet Security Suite Plus - Download - December 27th, 2017
- Collaborative Security: An approach to tackling Internet ... - December 27th, 2017