OAKLAND, CALIF. - The Iranian people have experienced days without the internet, the result of a government-backed shutdown as a response to nationwide protests over gas price increases.
This isnt the first time the Tehran government has blocked Iranians' access to parts of the internet or to social media sites. But observers say the current shutdown, which began Saturday night, has been nearly complete, with few residents still with internet access.
Its a coup against internet freedom, said Amir Rashidi, an internet security and digital rights researcher at the Center for Human Rights in Iran. Disrupting internet and blocking content are things they do. We get used to it. But this kind of thing a total internet shutdown they have never done that.
In prior disruptions, some Iranians have been able to circumvent blockages with digital tools, such as encryption and others that allow anonymous communication. But those tools are not helping this time, experts said.
That may be because tightening U.S. sanctions against Iran have led technology firms such as Google and others to make their technologies less available to the Iranian people, Rashidi said.
Berhan Taye, a senior policy analyst with Access Now, said the Iranian shutdown is a bit more intricate this time around. In the past, digital civil liberties groups like hers have been able to help people with technologies that allow communication to continue.
We have technically not seen something like this, she said. And the whole country is off the grid, which is troubling.
Taye said the Iranian government systematically targeted mobile internet, then fixed lines, then the messaging service, with each channel for circumvention disappeared one by one.
Unlike some countries, Iran hasnt had an internet kill switch, a central node for cutting off the internet.
One reason for Irans success at blocking the internet, experts said, may be its project to create a wholly separate internal network -- the National Information Network. As part of building the internet network, the government has been able to consolidate disparate aspects of the hardware and software of the existing network through one government-run provider, giving it more control.
The project has concerned outside observers, such as the Trump administration in Washington.
Countries that take such desperate actions prove to the world that they are afraid of their own people, the State Department said in a May 23 statement to VOA Persian.
US 'Concerned' Irans Intranet Project Will Repress Internet Freedom
Now, Tehran appears to have the ability to shut down the internet while allowing the countrys infrastructure, such as finance, hospitals and other institutions, to keep running.
Brian Hook, Washington's special envoy for Iran, said the United States is working to help Iranians by providing workarounds to help the people to work around the Iranian regime shutting down the internet and we think that will help some people to connect to the internet so they can continue to get out their videos.
What those workarounds might be remain to be seen.
Observers fear that what the Iranian internet shutdown shows is perhaps a new playbook for regimes that seek to control if and when their people connect to the outside world.
Read the original here:
Iranians Struggle Without the Internet - VOA News
- Get In Depth Analysis Of How Covid-19 Is Impacting The Internet Security Software Market - The Daily Chronicle - September 12th, 2020
- Better late than never: Zoom boosts security with 2FA - Verdict - September 12th, 2020
- Show and Tell: The Gryphon Tower Mesh Wi-Fi Security Router - Grit Daily - September 12th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Drivers, Outlook, Analysis And Forecast To 2028 -... - September 12th, 2020
- Ensuring cyber awareness in the healthcare sector - Help Net Security - September 12th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast by 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 12th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2027: Dataintelo - Scientect - September 12th, 2020
- Kaspersky: 37% of internet users in SEA think they won't be targeted by cybercriminals - SoyaCincau.com - September 12th, 2020
- TikTok and WeChat may raise security concerns, but Trump's knee-jerk reaction isn't the way to deal with them - NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - September 12th, 2020
- Helping companies prioritize their cybersecurity investments - MIT News - September 6th, 2020
- Rapid7 NICER - starting a conversation on internet security | Company Report - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - September 6th, 2020
- Kansans are getting letters saying they applied for unemployment. The problem? Some never did. - Pittsburg Morning Sun - September 6th, 2020
- Embedded Security For Internet Of Things Market 2025 Opportunities, Applications, Drivers, Limitations, Companies, Countries, & Forecast - Express... - September 6th, 2020
- Why should you use a VPN on your iPhone and Mac? - Cult of Mac - September 6th, 2020
- 'No longer safe in their classroom:' NHCS remote-learning session hacked, sexualized profanity used - Port City Daily - September 6th, 2020
- How Romania is Solving Technology and Poverty Disparities - Borgen Project - September 6th, 2020
- How government is delivering better election security - GCN.com - September 6th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Report: Regional Data Analysis By Production, Revenue, Price And Gross Margin - Kewaskum Statesman News... - September 6th, 2020
- What is the quantum internet? Everything you need to know about the weird future of quantum networks - ZDNet - September 6th, 2020
- How automation testing stays crucial to the future of Internet of Things (IoT) - Latest Digital Transformation Trends | Cloud News - Wire19 - September 6th, 2020
- One of the largest internet outages ever recorded occurred this weekend - TechRadar - September 6th, 2020
- A third of companies are exposing unsafe network services to the internet - BetaNews - September 6th, 2020
- Meet The New Anonymous100 Million BTS ARMY And K-Pop Stans, A Cyber Threat To Be Reckoned With - Forbes - September 6th, 2020
- Is Wall Street winning in China? - The Economist - September 6th, 2020
- 60 Seconds In Cybersecurity: Heres What Happens In Just One Malicious Internet Minute - Forbes - August 28th, 2020
- Research Report prospects the Internet Security Software Market - Owned - August 28th, 2020
- Cyber Security Market to Benefit from Increasing Application of AI and IoT Technologies - GlobeNewswire - August 28th, 2020
- Hackers are exploiting the 'Internet of Things' - ITProPortal - August 28th, 2020
- Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Protection Market Will Generate New Growth Opportunities in the next upcoming year - The Daily Chronicle - August 28th, 2020
- IT Security Market to Remain Competitive | Major Giants Continuously Expanding Market - The News Brok - August 28th, 2020
- Internet Of Things Iot Security Market : Global Industry Analysis And Opportunity Assessment 2026 Cisco Systems, Inc., Ibm Corporation, Intel... - August 28th, 2020
- Click Fraud Risk as Smartphone Is Discovered with Pre-Installed Malware - Infosecurity Magazine - August 28th, 2020
- The ability to hear, be heard and be understood is vital The importance of audio communication devices in security - IFSEC Global - August 28th, 2020
- Wrap your ears around Episode 451 of the Two Blokes Talking Tech podcast - Tech Guide - August 28th, 2020
- Taking stock of the Chinese factor in American elections - Arab News - August 28th, 2020
- How to choose and set up a business VPN - TechRadar - August 28th, 2020
- Internet Grows to 370.1 Million Domain Name Registrations at the End of the Second Quarter of 2020 - Social News XYZ - August 28th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Latest Innovation, Trends and Forecast 2019 2025 - Scientect - August 28th, 2020
- The TikTok Ban Should Worry Every Company - Harvard Business Review - August 28th, 2020
- TLS and VPN Flaws Offer Most Pen Tester Access - Infosecurity Magazine - August 28th, 2020
- The Center for Internet Security (CIS) Use Cases and Cost Justification - Security Boulevard - August 10th, 2020
- Peering into the Future of Sino-Russian Cyber Security Cooperation - War on the Rocks - August 10th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Industry Market Sales, Price, Revenue, Gross Margin and Industry Share 2020-2025 - Express Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Insights on the Cyber Security Global Market to 2028 - Featuring Dell Technologies, Fireeye & Fortinet Among Others - GlobeNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- So What Does Trump Have Against TikTok? - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Development, Key Opportunity, Application & Forecast to 2025 - Chelanpress - August 10th, 2020
- Someone just dumped 20GB of internal Intel data on the Internet - TechSpot - August 10th, 2020
- Malaysia Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Global Future Trend, Segmentation, Business Growth, Top Key Players, Opportunities and... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2020 Competitive Analysis Cisco Systems, Intel Corporation, IBM Corporation - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- Common Internet of Things security pitfalls Urgent Comms - Urgent Communications - July 29th, 2020
- US starts work on making virtually unhackable internet a reality; All you need to know about Quantum Internet - The Financial Express - July 29th, 2020
- Internet Of Everything (IoE) Market Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Application Forecast - Market Research Posts - July 29th, 2020
- What are you giving away on social media? | IT PRO - IT PRO - July 29th, 2020
- Explained: Why is spyware, stalkerware gaining traction during the pandemic? - The Indian Express - July 29th, 2020
- Are we seeing the beginnings of an Indian internet? - Deccan Herald - July 29th, 2020
- What the Tech? Check Your Internet Security When Working from Home - Alabama News Network - July 27th, 2020
- Security of the internet is improving, but there is work to be done - Security Magazine - July 27th, 2020
- Outlook on the Internet Security Software Market to 2025 by Application, End-user and Geography - CueReport - July 27th, 2020
- U.S. Government Says Its Building A Virtually Unhackable Quantum Internet - Forbes - July 27th, 2020
- Amid 'heightened tensions,' US government issues warning to critical infrastructure providers - Utility Dive - July 27th, 2020
- The global Internet of Things (IoT) security market size is expected to grow from USD 12.5 billion in 2020 to USD 36.6 billion by 2025, at a Compound... - July 27th, 2020
- WISeKey to Showcase its Cybersecurity Solutions for Artificial Intelligence Used in Drones and Robots at SIDO 2020 - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- Various Politicians, Companies, And Activists Are Targeted By A Secretive Industry - See How India Has Become A Hire-for-hack Place For Other... - July 27th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market Forecasts and Opportunity Assessment Analysis 2019-2025 - Owned - July 27th, 2020
- ESET scores high in the Business Security Test 2020 - My Startup World - July 27th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | KEY PLAYERS MARKET WITH COVID-19... - July 27th, 2020
- The 12 Coolest AWS Tools Of 2020 (So Far) - CRN - July 27th, 2020
- Smart Home Market with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by Product, Software & Services, and Region - Global Forecast to 2025 - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- MailVault ties up with BD Soft as the National Distributor, for the Indian Markets - CRN.in - July 27th, 2020
- WISeKey Appoints Ben Stump as Chief Revenue Officer to Drive the Next Phase of its Global Growth - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- 4G internet not a security concern, no objection restoring it: JK admin tells Centre - The Kashmir Walla - July 27th, 2020
- This Is a Good Time to Buy Fastly Stock on the Dip - InvestorPlace - July 27th, 2020
- How firms are keeping staff and secrets safe from hackers now everyone is working remotely - CNBC - July 27th, 2020
- Cloudflare goes down, and takes the internet's security blanket with it - Mashable - July 23rd, 2020
- Should You Connect Your Brain to the Internet? - Security Boulevard - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market Growth Rate and Opportunities By 2025 With COVID-19 Outbreak, Top Players: HPE, IBM, Intel, Symantec, AlienVault,... - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market 2020 Growth Rate, Gross Margin, Competitive Situation and Trends, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- How Coronavirus Pandemic Will Impact Internet Security Software Market Size, Growth Opportunitis, Current trends, Forecast By 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- IT Security Consulting Services Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the... - July 23rd, 2020
- Scammers prey on Coronavirus fears - The Tomahawk - July 23rd, 2020