BlackBerry (TSX:BB)(NYSE:BB) continues to announce security partnerships with global firms. Is this the time to add BlackBerry stock to your contrarian portfolio?
BlackBerry recently announced a partnership with Microsoft Teams to help governments and large organizations manage crisis events. The BlackBerry AtHoc system provides organizations with end-to-end crisis communication capabilities.
BlackBerrys critical event platform now integrates with Microsofts real-time collaboration platform. The partnership provides a boost to BlackBerrys status as a leader in secure communications.
BlackBerry has an opportunity in the current global environment to ramp up revenue in its Spark security solutions group. The pandemic forced people to work from home in the past seven months, and it appears the trend will continue, even beyond COVID-19.
Corporations ranging from leading tech giants to financial institutions say they will shift to hybrid systems, where people split their work time between home and the office. Microsoft recently said it will allow employees to work from home 50% of the time. Some other firms are going 100% remote.
The situation presents security challenges for businesses of all sizes. In an office environment, it is easy for the firm to control internet security, since everyone is using company hardware.
In the work-from-home environment, however, people are accessing the companys systems and communicating with clients using a wide range of devices and service providers. The bring-your-own-device trend was already in place ahead of the crisis, but it is likely to expand in the new era of remote work.
BlackBerry is a leader in providing secure connections in the Internet of Things (IoT) world. the IoT industry hasnt ballooned as quickly as anticipated, but that could change.
The expansion of 5G networks will enhance the ability of wireless data collection for homes and businesses. The safe transfer of the data from the device to the storage location is critical, and BlackBerry is positioned well to play a major role across a wide variety of industries.
BlackBerry trades near $6.75 per share. The stock started 2020 around $8.50 and was at $17 in early 2018 when hype around IoT hit a high point. Long-term watchers of the stock remember the glory days when BlackBerry dominated the smartphone market and traded above $100 per share.
BlackBerry has a large portfolio of great security products and solutions, including its QNX group that has its software installed in 175 million vehicles, and the Spark business that delivers security to assist companies with remote workers.
However, the company continues to disappoint investors on revenue and earnings.
The 2019 acquisition of Cylance for $1.4 billion positioned BlackBerry to be the planets leading AI cybersecurity company. Unfortunately, the deal hasnt delivered the anticipated revenue boost, but better days could be on the horizon.
Things should improve across the board in 2021, especially in the the Spark division, which is seeing demand improve for work-from-anywhere solutions. The auto industry should also have a stronger 2021, as the industry normalizes.
I wouldnt back up the truck, but patient investors might want to consider a small position in BlackBerry stock near this level. The tide could finally turn next year for BlackBerry and its investors.
Top stocks for the future...
Motley Fool Canada Makes 5G Buy Alert
5G is one of the greatest arrivals in technology since the birth of the internet. We could see plenty of new wealth-building opportunities in 2020 that would potentially dwarf any that came before them.
5G has the potential to radically change our lives and society as we know it, but if youre an investor, the implications are even greater and potentially much more lucrative.
To learn more about it and its revolutionary potential to change the industry and potentially your bank account click on the link below to get the full scoop.
Learn More Today!
Teresa Kersten, an employee of LinkedIn, a Microsoft subsidiary, is a member of The Motley Fools board of directors. The Motley Fool owns shares of and recommends Microsoft. The Motley Fool recommends BlackBerry and recommends the following options: long January 2021 $85 calls on Microsoft and short January 2021 $115 calls on Microsoft. Fool contributor Andrew Walker has no position in any stock mentioned.
- Cyber security and the Internet of Things - Lexology - November 16th, 2020
- Save over $6,400 off this Complete InfoSec & Business Continuity Bundle - Neowin - November 16th, 2020
- Official Government Cybersecurity Guidance Offers Six Focus Areas for Banks of All Sizes - Lexology - November 16th, 2020
- Internet Security Audit Market is Expected to Exhibit an Upward Growth Trend Across Widespread Verticals | Affluence - The Think Curiouser - November 16th, 2020
- Internet Of Things Security Market 2020: Global Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Size, Revenue and Forecast up to 2020 2026 - The Daily... - November 16th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technology Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2027 -... - November 16th, 2020
- 6 security shortcomings that COVID-19 exposed - CSO Online - November 16th, 2020
- iboss Named Finalist for Best Network Security Solution in the 2020 ASTORS Homeland Security Awards - PR Web - November 16th, 2020
- Microsoft: Move Away From Phone-based Multi-factor Authentication - TechDecisions - November 16th, 2020
- Global Cable Operator Markets, 2020-2025 by Technology, Residential Services (Wireless, Internet, Entertainment, Security, Home Automation, and IoT... - November 16th, 2020
- Why fintech security must never be an afterthought Wall Street Call - Reported Times - November 16th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market Share, Quantitative Analysis, Drivers & Restraints, Future Trends and Forecast Research Report 2026 by Global... - November 10th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market Size, Share, Types, Products, Trends, Growth, Applications and Forecast 2020 to 2027 - TechnoWeekly - November 10th, 2020
- How the Internet of Things Security Infrastructure in India can be improved? - Analytics Insight - November 10th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things Security Market 2025 Potential Scope for Growth in This Pandamic: Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco Systems,... - November 10th, 2020
- What is a RAT? How remote access Trojans became a major threat - CSO Online - November 10th, 2020
- China's largest hackathon sees Windows 10, iOS 14, Chrome, and more hacked - TechSpot - November 10th, 2020
- How governments, companies can address evolving needs of increasing tech-savvy Filipinos - Philstar.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global IT Security Market 2020 Growth Potential, Production, Revenue And COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 10th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Will Generate Massive Revenue In Future A Comprehensive Study On Key Players - TechnoWeekly - November 10th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - November 8th, 2020
- Misinformation, not vote tampering, is our most critical election threat - SecurityInfoWatch - November 8th, 2020
- Top 7 Ways to Hide Your IP Address in 2021 - Techstory - November 8th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market Current and Future Trends, Leading Players, Industry Segments and Regional Forecast By 2029 - Eurowire - November 6th, 2020
- Know Your Role: You Are Part of the Security Team - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - November 6th, 2020
- 'This is how it was all supposed to work': The EI-ISAC readies for Election Day - StateScoop - November 6th, 2020
- Two reasons your Wi-Fi is slow, and how to fix them - CNET - November 6th, 2020
- Keeping Yourself Safe on the Internet at University - TechBullion - November 6th, 2020
- IT Security Spending in Government Market Expected to Flourish By 2025 with Top Key Players- IT Security Spending in Government are: Check Point... - November 6th, 2020
- Arson, water damage: Paper ballots are fragile. But there's a reason we don't vote online - CNET - November 6th, 2020
- Live News Streaming Figures for #Election2020 Highlight Misinformation Threat - Infosecurity Magazine - November 6th, 2020
- Florida Invests in Security Controls Ahead of #Election2020 - Infosecurity Magazine - November 6th, 2020
- How to Organize Employees to Cooperate in Threat Mitigation - Infosecurity Magazine - November 6th, 2020
- The best antivirus protection for Windows 10 in 2020 - CNET - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet Security Firewall Market to Reap Excessive Revenues by 2020-2029 - Eurowire - November 2nd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period :HPE, IBM, Intel, Symantec, AlienVault - TechnoWeekly - November 2nd, 2020
- Poll shows that many feel more vulnerable to online threats during the pandemic - Wiltshire 999s - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market To Witness Significant Growth By 2020-2028 - TechnoWeekly - November 2nd, 2020
- Post-2020 election, Covid vaccine is biggest disinformation threat on the internet: Former Facebook security chief - CNBC - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies |... - November 2nd, 2020
- Career in cybersecurity or ethical hacking: Where to study, starting salary and job interview questions - India Today - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet Of Everything (IoE) Market Status and Trend: Top Key Players, Industry Dynamics, And Regional Scope 2020 - Aerospace Journal - November 2nd, 2020
- Security Pros Have Role in Combatting Disinformation - Infosecurity Magazine - November 2nd, 2020
- How Safe Is the US Election from Hacking? - The New York Review of Books - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet watchdog warns of rise in scammers' activity - New Zealand Herald - November 2nd, 2020
- Homeland Security notified after hackers leak names of local residents who reportedly submitted invalid ballots - iFIBER One News - November 2nd, 2020
- Global Internet of Things Security Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period :Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco... - November 2nd, 2020
- Network Security: Don't Trust And Verify - IT Jungle - October 23rd, 2020
- Akamai Reveals State of Internet: Threats to Retailers - Solutions Review - October 23rd, 2020
- Verisign Reports Third Quarter 2020 Results | Business | The Daily News - Galveston County Daily News - October 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Software Market Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, Threats, Trends, Applications, And Growth Forecast To (2026). -... - October 23rd, 2020
- Nokia Threat Intelligence Report warns of rising cyberattacks on internet-connected devices - GlobeNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Cybersecurity and a potential Biden White House: Past tech priorities resurrected - SC Magazine - October 23rd, 2020
- Virgin Media has an important new feature, but switching it on will cost you - Express - October 23rd, 2020
- WISeKey and OpSec Security Partnership Establishes Trust Between Brands and their Customers through Improved Customer Engagement - GlobeNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Internet Of Things Iot Security Market Economic Perspective And Forecast To 2027 - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Why cybercriminals have 'Gone Vishing' during the COVID-19 Pandemic - Bdaily - October 23rd, 2020
- Insights on the Digital Security Control Global Market to 2027 - Strategic Recommendations for New Entrants - GlobeNewswire - October 17th, 2020
- More than 25% of Cypriots concerned about internet security - Cyprus Mail - October 17th, 2020
- 5 things you can do to secure your home office without hiring an expert - We Live Security - October 17th, 2020
- Beyond Speed and Reliability: Security Is a New Differentiator - Security Boulevard - October 17th, 2020
- Nationwide and Generali Global Assistance Partner to Enhance Identity Theft Protection - Insurance News Net - October 17th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market 2020 Impact of COVID-19, Future Growth Analysis and Challenges | Cisco Systems, Inc, IBM... - October 17th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things or IoT Security Market to Reach $22 Billion+ Valuation by 2027, Largely Due to Blockchain Adoption - Crowdfund Insider - October 17th, 2020
- Internet Security Market with COVID-19 Recovery Analysis 2020 | Rapid Adoption of BYOD Policy to Boost Market Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - October 8th, 2020
- Tenable and the CIS Enter Partnership to Bolster Cyber Hygiene - AiThority - October 8th, 2020
- How to Build Smart Banks that Connect Customers with Modern DX - AiThority - October 8th, 2020
- #NCSAM: Is Connected Ever Going to be Protected? - Infosecurity Magazine - October 8th, 2020
- Cyber Security Awareness Month is here! - We Live Security - October 2nd, 2020
- Internet security Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - October 2nd, 2020
- Latest Report on Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Analysis, Growth, Opportunity and Regional Insights 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 2nd, 2020
- Remarks by Henrietta Fore, UNICEF Executive Director, at Security Council meeting on universal connectivity & access to digital technology in... - October 2nd, 2020
- Lessons learned from firsthand experience on how to avoid internet fraud and other forms of cyberattacks (opinion) - Inside Higher Ed - October 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Internet Security Audit Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with Top players: Symantec, Intel Security, IBM, Cisco,... - October 2nd, 2020
- Internet Security Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top Players: HPE,... - September 30th, 2020
- The Top Internet of Things (IoT) Authentication Methods and Options - Security Boulevard - September 30th, 2020
- How Trusted Internet Connections Is Focusing Telework with TIC 3.0 - FedTech Magazine - September 30th, 2020
- Is your business looking for an extra layer of security - here's why a VPN may be the answer - TechRadar - September 30th, 2020
- A business connected to the cloud needs cloud-ready security, connectivity - Techgoondu - September 30th, 2020
- The 6 key races you haven't heard of that may help decide how we secure our elections - POLITICO - September 30th, 2020