Saturday, January 25, 2020 2:43 a.m. CST
By Fayaz Bukhari
Srinagar (Reuters) - Limited mobile data services and internet will be temporarily restored in Jammu and Kashmir from Saturday, ending nearly a six month communications lockdown after Prime Minister Narendra Modi withdrew the Muslim majority region's autonomy.
Access will be limited to about 300 "whitelisted" websites and internet speed would remain low, the local Jammu and Kashmir government said in a notice late on Friday.
However, social media applications that allow "peer to peer" communication will continue to be banned, it said.
The decision will be reviewed on Jan. 31, the notice added.
The move to restore the services comes days after India's top court ordered the curbs to be reversed, saying that freedom of internet access is a fundamental right and that its indefinite suspension is illegal.
Modi's Hindu-nationalist government has frequently used internet shutdowns as a tool to quell dissent in troubled parts of the country.
It has argued that the blackout was needed to maintain order in the Himalayan region where security forces have been fighting a long-running separatist insurgency encouraged by neighboring Pakistan.
The internet lockdown in Kashmir region since Aug. 5 has severely disrupted the lives of millions, impacting everything from college admissions to bank payments and businesses filing tax returns.
Access will temporarily be allowed to websites of banks like State Bank of India and HDFC, education institutions, news, entertainment sites including Amazon Prime, travel, utilities and food delivery apps like Swiggy and Zomato as well as email and search engines including Google and Yahoo.
While the local government restored limited internet in some parts of the region earlier in January, some people are still struggling to get online.
Nasir Nabi, a student from north Kashmir's Kupwara district, where some services were restored, is pursuing a masters degree through a distance learning course and has been unable to access the university's website.
Because of the slow internet speed, the 23-year-old has not been able to download the study material or get information about any examinations.
Shameem Ahmad, a shopkeeper from the same region, said he has found it difficult to complete bank transactions as the internet speed is very low and most of the times it fails to process the request.
The internet shutdown in Kashmir, which has been on for more than 150 days, is the longest such outage in any democracy, according to digital rights group Access Now.
(Writing by Aditi Shah; Editing by Michael Perry)
- GLOBAL INTERNET SECURITY FIREWALL MARKET LATEST DEVELOPMENTS, SHARES, AND STRATEGIES EMPLOYED BY THE MAJOR PLAYERS - The Fuel Fox - March 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus Proves We Need the Internet Now More than Ever Before - The National Interest - March 30th, 2020
- The story behind that little padlock in your browser - Horizon magazine - March 30th, 2020
- Finder helps secure the Internet in a time of crisis - CMO - March 30th, 2020
- New Security Report from WatchGuard Shows Explosion in Evasive Malware - socPub - March 30th, 2020
- One senator wants vendors to ensure their internet connectivity devices are secure - fifthdomain.com - March 30th, 2020
- How a VPN works - The Upcoming - March 30th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Wallets: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know - hackernoon.com - March 30th, 2020
- Sentrybay and Raqmiyat on delivering secure work from home solutions - Tahawul Tech - March 30th, 2020
- Dot-com price rises on their way over the next four years: ICANN approves Verisign contract, walks off with $20m - The Register - March 30th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market Overview By Threats, Major Opportunities, Drivers, Risk Analysis and Trends - Sound On Sound Fest - March 30th, 2020
- These are the companies offering free software during the coronavirus crisis - IT PRO - March 30th, 2020
- The real insider threat is the use of security software - TechRadar - March 23rd, 2020
- EFF and COVID-19: Protecting Openness, Security, and Civil Liberties - EFF - March 23rd, 2020
- Preparing for November's election must be a national priority | TheHill - The Hill - March 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 decoy doc, Cloudflare tools used to spread Blackwater malware - SC Magazine - March 23rd, 2020
- Technology saves the day as Kenyan firms send staff to work from home - The East African - March 23rd, 2020
- In Industrial Realm, Trustworthy Software Ensures - IoT World Today - March 23rd, 2020
- Security Software in Telecom Market is Growing Rapidly Due to Increasing Internet Penetration - Press Release - Digital Journal - March 23rd, 2020
- How safe is your brand in the hands of a remote workforce? - Bizcommunity.com - March 23rd, 2020
- Do Netflix And YouTube Really Need To Slash Video Quality To Save The Internet? - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- How Organizations Can Retain Talent Amidst the Infosec Skills Gap - tripwire.com - March 23rd, 2020
- Hackers are preying on fears of Covid-19, says cyber security experts - Hindustan Times - March 23rd, 2020
- These Jaw-Dropping Facts Will Change Your Mind About the Internet of Things - The Motley Fool - March 23rd, 2020
- Security Think Tank: Amid panic, how to find a sound level of security - ComputerWeekly.com - March 23rd, 2020
- As universities shut their doors, international students are left in limbo - The Verge - March 23rd, 2020
- Keeping content safe in the IP era | Industry Trends - IBC365 - March 23rd, 2020
- Students concerned with lack of internet access, job security in light of online transition - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - March 23rd, 2020
- How Safe is Your Brand in the Hands of a Remote Workforce? - Techfinancials.co.za - March 23rd, 2020
- US Bureau of Census : PRESS RELEASE | MARCH 20, 2020 Statement on 2020 Census Internet Response Security Precautions To protect the integrity of the... - March 23rd, 2020
- Fake coronavirus news is spreading faster than the virus - The Star Online - March 23rd, 2020
- Facebook didnt have to be this way - BusinessLine - March 23rd, 2020
- How Are Digital Natives Shaping the Future of Data Privacy? - Infosecurity Magazine - March 23rd, 2020
- Zero Trust Internet is the Answer - Infosecurity Magazine - March 23rd, 2020
- German government prepares for internet censorship and deployment of the armed forces - World Socialist Web Site - March 23rd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technology Market Is Expected To Thrive At Impressive Cagr By 2027 Key Players:... - March 23rd, 2020
- Norton Secure VPN - The cocoon of cybersecurity - Blasting News United States - March 13th, 2020
- New rules proposed to boost security of home routers - The Straits Times - March 13th, 2020
- Leaders should act now to counter national security threat to US elections | TheHill - The Hill - March 13th, 2020
- Cybersecurity 2020: The Trends SMBs will Need to Prepare For - CISO MAG - March 13th, 2020
- Namecheap, EFF and the Dangerous Internet Wild West - CircleID - March 13th, 2020
- EARN IT Act threatens end-to-end encryption - Naked Security - March 13th, 2020
- Apples WWDC 2020 is on in a purely digital way - Pickr - March 13th, 2020
- The EARN IT Bill Is the Government's Plan to Scan Every Message Online - EFF - March 13th, 2020
- The pitfalls of being an influencer: What parents should know and do - We Live Security - March 13th, 2020
- 25 tips for navigating the internet today - Alton Telegraph - March 13th, 2020
- Interos Raises $17.5M from Venrock and Kleiner Perkins to Grow Third-Party Risk Management Platform - GlobeNewswire - March 13th, 2020
- Why Are Internet Security Standards Badly Deployed and What to Do About It? - CircleID - March 12th, 2020
- The Internet of Things is a security nightmare reveals latest real-world analysis: unencrypted traffic, network crossover, vulnerable OSes - The... - March 12th, 2020
- How The Internet Of Things Can Transform Workplace Safety | Baird Capital | Security News - SecurityInformed - March 12th, 2020
- The Internet Avoided a Minor Disaster Last Week - WIRED - March 12th, 2020
- Applying the 80/20 rule to cloud security - Help Net Security - March 12th, 2020
- Internet Security Audit Market Report 2020: Acute Analysis of Global Demand and Supply 2025 with Major Key Player: Symantec, Intel Security, IBM,... - March 12th, 2020
- The Hidden Dangers of China's Digital Silk Road - The National Interest - March 12th, 2020
- Students Showed Trend Micro a World Without the Internet - Business Wire - March 12th, 2020
- Android anti-virus products put to the test which are the best at stopping new malicious apps? - Graham Cluley Security News - March 12th, 2020
- Internet security Market 2020 | Applications, Challenges, Growth, Shares, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Packaging News 24 - March 5th, 2020
- Eight ways to improve cyber-hygiene in the enterprise - Security Boulevard - March 5th, 2020
- The Top 8 Concerns for CISOs in 2020 - Security Boulevard - March 5th, 2020
- iboss Wins Customer Service Department of the Year - Computer Services Silver Award in the 2020 Stevie Awards for Sales and Customer Service - Yahoo... - March 5th, 2020
- 2020 Premium Ethical Hacking Certification Bundle Is Up For A Limited Time Discount Offer Avail Now - Wccftech - March 5th, 2020
- These are the first passwords hackers will try when attacking your device - ZDNet - March 5th, 2020
- US threatens to pull big techs immunities if child abuse isnt curbed - TechCrunch - March 5th, 2020
- Why SSL Encryption Will not Become a Victim of its Own Success - Infosecurity Magazine - March 5th, 2020
- Let's Encrypt: OK, maybe nuking three million HTTPS certs at once was a tad ambitious. Let's take time out - The Register - March 5th, 2020
- Modernizing Threat Management for the Evolving Attack Surfaces of OT, IoT and IoMT - Security Intelligence - March 5th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Audit Market Analysis, Key Insights, and Forecast 2025 By Application, Type, End User and Region - Feed Road - March 5th, 2020
- It has been 15 years, and we're still reporting homograph attacks web domains that stealthily use non-Latin characters to appear legit - The Register - March 5th, 2020
- WhatsApp Provides Information to Intelligence Services - What is the Safest Messenger? - Communal News - March 5th, 2020
- Dear passwords: Forget you. Here's what is going to protect us instead - USA TODAY - March 3rd, 2020
- Do these three things to protect your web security camera from hackers - ZDNet - March 3rd, 2020
- Internet security Market 2020 Analysis by Overview, Growth, Top Companies, Trends, Demand and Forecast to 2026 - Packaging News 24 - March 3rd, 2020
- Navigant Research Report Shows Global Annual Revenue for Home Automation and Security Is Expected to Reach $72 Billion in 2028 - Oklahoman.com - March 3rd, 2020
- NetAbstraction Announces Support for Private and Secure Access to the Dark Web - Yahoo Finance - March 3rd, 2020
- Chinese security firm says CIA hacked Chinese targets for the past 11 years - ZDNet - March 3rd, 2020
- What will be the Internet Security Market Profit Margin, Consumption, Cagr and Revenue in the Forecast Period 2020-2029 - Sound On Sound Fest - March 3rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Software Market 2020 Growth Factors, Technological Innovation and Emerging Trends 2025 - Monroe Scoop - March 3rd, 2020
- A billion Wi-Fi devices suffer from a newly discovered security flaw - MIT Technology Review - March 3rd, 2020
- It's Time for the US to Step Back Up Against Intellectual Property Theft - The Diplomat - March 3rd, 2020
- Colorado leads the way in election security but ballot counting still carries risk - KRDO - March 3rd, 2020