Written by Billy Mitchell Dec 2, 2019 | FEDSCOOP
In about a months time, the U.S. Air Force will host the first demonstration of its Advanced Battle Management System the networking concept that will serve as the technological backbone of the militarys shift to an advanced way of seeing the battlefield.
Through multi-domain operations, the military servicesaim to link togetherair, sea, land, space, cyber and information assets to better identify and eliminate threats. And while the idea could leave to revolutionary jump forward in awareness and information sharing for warfighters, the technology necessary to achieve it isnt at all revolutionary, said Will Roper, Air Forces assistant secretary for acquisition, technology and logistics.
Well connect F-22s, F-35s, SpaceX Starlink satellites, Navy ships, Army soldiers, Roper said at a recentCenter for a New American Security discussion. Were going to connect them in an internet-like style. What were really doing to enable multi-domain is finally building the internet in the Air Force. Its all the stuff that you know. There are no show-stoppers here.
Rather, its taking the best of what already exists in the commercial world things military personnel have access to and expect in their personal lives and cloning that for command and control.
The great news is this exists, he said. We just simply have to be able to clone it and probably put a little more security in it. But its not unachievable. But it is going to be different to become a digital service, a digital department.
Roper pointed to navigation app Waze as an example. Every time he drives home from the Pentagon and uses Waze, he thinks about how would this work on the battlefield?
Below such an app, he said, are strong software development capabilities with cloud infrastructure and platforms to build on. Hereferred to theAdvanced Battle Management System as a whole internet company in the Air Force, built on the services Cloud One, Platform One and Data One programs.
The way that this will work well have kind of a big cloud, a big [Department of Defense] cloud, and if youre a system and youre connected to big cloud, and very similar to the app Waze, or pick your favorite, we have a user profile for you based on your mission, Roper said. And the data that hits our cloud, we can recognize, Oh this is something [you] should see, because youre driving a ship and you dont know that threat is over there and we just collected on it. And we can push it to you in a way thats very similar to Waze, easy to engage with, and as you respond to it, we get better at recognizing you.
But its also very different from an app like Waze because adversaries will be constantly trying to take it offline, Roper said. So the real secret sauce is going to be when the disconnect happens, how much are we able to locally store and process? Can I inform you how long you will have digital superiority, digital stealth so that when you connect back up because I dont think any adversary will be able to keep us disconnected forever we can immediately refresh your data, almost like were kind of resetting the clock.
To do that, he said, the military is going on the same digital journey that many successful companies have already gone on. Roper said the Air Force has already recruited a cadre of internet-type gurus who have joined our team as pioneers to build this system-of-systems out. So were not designing this in a traditional defense fashion. Were designing this with champions of commercial internet technology who are willing, just out of patriotism, to be contracted designers, to make sure that we dont get outside of what worked for the internet.
If the Air Force gets theABMS program right, the benefit will be that finally for once, if the government has a piece of data that can help the warfighter, we can getit to them, Roper said. And its crazy in the world we live in where you right now with your personal device are connected to the entire world. Think about how much ability there is to interact, to understand, to command control things, your house, your car, you control everything. We live in that world. Our operators go home with that capability. And they come into a military where things cant talk to each other.
The biggest challenge in all of this, Roper said, will beconvincing Congress to deliver the required funding.Its a big risk to put billions of dollars into digital transformation, he said. You cant take a picture of it. But you know that behind your phone is an amazing, powerful architecture that allows that phone to be so much more than a platform.
But, he anticipates sizable dollars will be dedicated in fiscal 2021 to support the ABMS development.
Itsenough money to actually do real stuff, and its not tied to any platform, Roper said. So, ABMS will basically be a competition among existing platforms. Whoever can kind of make their platform look more like an Internet of Things-type system, you get first dibs to the pot.
See the original post here:
Multi-domain operations: Like bringing Waze to the battlefield - FedScoop
- Common Internet of Things security pitfalls Urgent Comms - Urgent Communications - July 29th, 2020
- US starts work on making virtually unhackable internet a reality; All you need to know about Quantum Internet - The Financial Express - July 29th, 2020
- Internet Of Everything (IoE) Market Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Application Forecast - Market Research Posts - July 29th, 2020
- What are you giving away on social media? | IT PRO - IT PRO - July 29th, 2020
- Explained: Why is spyware, stalkerware gaining traction during the pandemic? - The Indian Express - July 29th, 2020
- Are we seeing the beginnings of an Indian internet? - Deccan Herald - July 29th, 2020
- What the Tech? Check Your Internet Security When Working from Home - Alabama News Network - July 27th, 2020
- Security of the internet is improving, but there is work to be done - Security Magazine - July 27th, 2020
- Outlook on the Internet Security Software Market to 2025 by Application, End-user and Geography - CueReport - July 27th, 2020
- U.S. Government Says Its Building A Virtually Unhackable Quantum Internet - Forbes - July 27th, 2020
- Amid 'heightened tensions,' US government issues warning to critical infrastructure providers - Utility Dive - July 27th, 2020
- The global Internet of Things (IoT) security market size is expected to grow from USD 12.5 billion in 2020 to USD 36.6 billion by 2025, at a Compound... - July 27th, 2020
- WISeKey to Showcase its Cybersecurity Solutions for Artificial Intelligence Used in Drones and Robots at SIDO 2020 - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- Various Politicians, Companies, And Activists Are Targeted By A Secretive Industry - See How India Has Become A Hire-for-hack Place For Other... - July 27th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market Forecasts and Opportunity Assessment Analysis 2019-2025 - Owned - July 27th, 2020
- ESET scores high in the Business Security Test 2020 - My Startup World - July 27th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2020 Trends Analysis and Coronavirus (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | KEY PLAYERS MARKET WITH COVID-19... - July 27th, 2020
- The 12 Coolest AWS Tools Of 2020 (So Far) - CRN - July 27th, 2020
- Smart Home Market with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by Product, Software & Services, and Region - Global Forecast to 2025 - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- MailVault ties up with BD Soft as the National Distributor, for the Indian Markets - CRN.in - July 27th, 2020
- WISeKey Appoints Ben Stump as Chief Revenue Officer to Drive the Next Phase of its Global Growth - GlobeNewswire - July 27th, 2020
- 4G internet not a security concern, no objection restoring it: JK admin tells Centre - The Kashmir Walla - July 27th, 2020
- This Is a Good Time to Buy Fastly Stock on the Dip - InvestorPlace - July 27th, 2020
- How firms are keeping staff and secrets safe from hackers now everyone is working remotely - CNBC - July 27th, 2020
- Cloudflare goes down, and takes the internet's security blanket with it - Mashable - July 23rd, 2020
- Should You Connect Your Brain to the Internet? - Security Boulevard - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market Growth Rate and Opportunities By 2025 With COVID-19 Outbreak, Top Players: HPE, IBM, Intel, Symantec, AlienVault,... - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market 2020 Growth Rate, Gross Margin, Competitive Situation and Trends, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- How Coronavirus Pandemic Will Impact Internet Security Software Market Size, Growth Opportunitis, Current trends, Forecast By 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 23rd, 2020
- IT Security Consulting Services Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the... - July 23rd, 2020
- Scammers prey on Coronavirus fears - The Tomahawk - July 23rd, 2020
- Popular Chinese-Made Drone Is Found to Have Security Weakness - The New York Times - July 23rd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Marketplace 2020-2025 - Google, Cisco, IBM, and Intel Leading the IoT Revolution - WFMZ Allentown - July 23rd, 2020
- Digital culture in the age of COVID-19: Viral 'U' creators and politiktoks - The Michigan Daily - July 23rd, 2020
- Global IT Security Market 2025 To Expect Maximum Benefit and Growth Potential During this COVID 19 Outbreak During this COVID 19 Outbreak: Blue Coat,... - July 23rd, 2020
- Securing Travel and Transportation Operations - Security Intelligence - July 23rd, 2020
- Global Cloud DDoS Mitigation Software Market 2025 Potential Scope for Growth in This Pandamic : Amazon Web Services, Microsoft, Webroot, Google,... - July 23rd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Foresees Skyrocketing Growth in the Coming Years - Market Research Posts - July 23rd, 2020
- DDoS Protection Market 2020 | In-Depth Study On The Current State Of The Industry And Key Insights Of The Business Scenario By 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 23rd, 2020
- Exhaustive Study on DDoS Protection and Mitigation Market 2020 | Strategic Assessment by Top Players Akamai Technologies; Imperva; Radware - 3rd Watch... - July 23rd, 2020
- IT spending on Internet connectivity, security to rise in India: Report - Business Insider India - July 6th, 2020
- VPNs are the need-of-the-hour for safe and fast connections as we work-from-home - The Hindu - July 6th, 2020
- What is network security in the cloud computing era? - TechRadar - July 6th, 2020
- Revealed: How home router manufacturers dropped the ball on security - TechHive - July 6th, 2020
- Malaysia Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Akamai Is an Overlooked Web Infrastructure Play. Its a Buy, Analyst Says. - Barron's - July 6th, 2020
- According to Latest Report on Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market to Grow with an Impressive CAGR - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Enterprise Firewall Market Overview and Regional Outlook with Research Study 2019 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- How Have I Been Pwned became the keeper of the internets biggest data breaches - TechCrunch - July 6th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Trends, Opportunities, Key Players, Growth, Analysis, Outlook & Forecasts To 2026 - Daily Research... - July 6th, 2020
- WISeKey develops WIShelter Covid-19 secured smartphone app, using digital IDs and blockchain protocols, to certify users that are not infected with... - July 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies Adding to the Safety and Security in the UK Gambling Industry - London Post - July 6th, 2020
- Voice recordings from domestic violence alerting app exposed on the internet - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- The lack of women in cybersecurity puts us all at greater risk - The Next Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cascading Security Through the Internet of Things Supply Chain - Lawfare - June 30th, 2020
- How to Build the Right Security Assessment - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- Apple may have just changed a key part of how the internet works - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Indians most concerned about identity theft - Fortune India - June 30th, 2020
- Deeper Connect Mini: Decentralized, Private and Secure Internet for the People, launching June 30th on Indiegogo. - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security: Technologies and Global Markets - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Could Donald Trump claim a national security threat to shut down the internet? - Brookings Institution - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market Strategic Insights 2020 with analysis of Leading players: Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco... - June 30th, 2020
- Global IT Security Market is accounted for xx USD million in 2019 and is expected to reach xx USD million by 2025 growing at a CAGR of xx% : Blue... - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Share, Growth, Revenue, Global Industry Analysis and Future Demand |Globalmarketers.biz - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Surge in encrypted malware prompts warning about detection strategies - SecurityBrief Europe - June 30th, 2020
- NexTech AR to supply its video conferencing and virtual events platform to Dallas Independent School District - Proactive Investors UK - June 30th, 2020
- Dutch people are least concerned about safety, survey reveals - IamExpat in the Netherlands - June 30th, 2020
- Only 31% of Americans concerned with data security, despite 400% rise in cyberattacks - TechRepublic - June 24th, 2020
- WatchGuard Technologies Report Finds Two-Thirds of Malware is Encrypted, Invisible Without HTTPS Inspection - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- How To Turn Off Firewall In Windows And Mac - Ubergizmo - June 24th, 2020
- OTF's Work Is Vital for a Free and Open Internet - EFF - June 24th, 2020
- Microsoft acquires CyberX to bolster Azure IoT security - Internet of Things News - IoT Tech News - June 24th, 2020
- Partner Content: ESET and Spire Technology on why you need a Password Manager - PCR-online.biz - June 24th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Google is on a mission to stop you from reusing passwords - The Verge - June 24th, 2020
- Marking the 30th Anniversary of the Internet and Cybersecurity Treaty - CircleID - June 24th, 2020
- The Cyberlaw Podcast: Using the Internet to Cause Emotional Distress is a Felony? - Lawfare - June 24th, 2020
- DDoS Protection Market 2020 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Julian Assange Extradition and the Freedom of Bitcoin Bitcoin... - Bitcoin Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- How to become a web developer? - The Tribune - June 24th, 2020