While doing some research on public cloud-based backup to blob storage solutions, I decided to tinker with the possibility of using Azure not just as my backup target but as a replacement for my main file server sitting under my desk.
I had already gone through the process of eliminating all my rack mount systems from my house that were taking up space and consuming too much electricity. These were being used for test purposes and it was easy to replace them with IaaS VMs in Azure.
Using public cloud as your file server, though, that's a bit different. It's actually quite easy to do as a small business; the Azure file service makes it easy to turn on SMB/CIFS file sharing with any storage account.
It doesn't consume compute, just storage costs, but it acts just like any other file server or NAS device on-premises.
And if your business uses business-class broadband, such as an MPLS connection to a Tier-1 telco, it works great. But if you are a SOHO-based business and are using consumer-class broadband, not so much.
It's got nothing to do with Azure's technology -- that part works great. The problem has to do with what providers like Comcast are doing with access controls on their networks.
When I was setting up my Azure file services, I discovered that I could not map a drive from Windows to the file storage. At first, I thought I had something in my firewall set wrong.
Nope. Even with my PC set to ANY/ANY exclusions coming from that MAC address, I still couldn't connect to it.
After some trial and error and some basic geek forensics, I determined that one of the ports that the SMB protocol uses -- TCP 445 -- was being blocked upstream. So I called my broadband company, Blue Stream, which maintains the local cable infrastructure in the town where I live in South Florida.
Nope, no ports being blocked there.
But do you know where lots of ports are being blocked? Comcast, which is Blue Stream's upstream bandwidth provider.
Comcast presumably blocks port 445 because it is used by the WannaCry malware to spread between systems. However, it's also the port Microsoft Active Directory uses.
So, if you use Comcast, but want to develop and test file services on Azure, you're going to have to establish a VPN connection, which kind of defeats the purpose of being able to access your file services from any mobile device.
Comcast is not the only provider that blocks certain ports. AT&T does, as do others.
I understand ISPs wanting to be proactive about security, but blocking ports that essentially disable functionality on major cloud services is unacceptable.
I feel... Comcastrated.
Now, Microsoft could fix this problem by making protocol changes to SMB -- by having it communicate over alternate ports and being able to configure that in Azure. But that means making changes to the Windows OS communications protocol stack and pushing that out to tens of millions of systems.
It also would mean changes in the SMB/CIFS standard as well, and that would need to be rolled out to SAMBA and anything else that needs that protocol including all sorts of NAS devices that run on Linux and other derivative OSes.
SMB is just one protocol. There are others that are needed for so many other apps. We can't change or replace all of them every time a new piece of malware comes out.
What we need is a better solution for monitoring network traffic and acting on threats at the residential level rather than blocking ports wholesale.
Ideally, it would be great to be able to provide a deep packet inspection device to every home, but this type of technology is typically deployed at enterprises and it starts at around $1,000 an appliance and can cost upward of thousands of dollars a year for the subscription, depending on the vendor.
First, there's no reason why the industry cannot develop a packet inspection and intrusion detection/web application gateway using open source components and then deploy it in a multi-tenant fashion at the provider at the edge of the network, with some sort of an app that the home broadband customer can use to secure their traffic in an easy, wizard-like, self-service fashion.
Log threats going in and out, get notifications on strange activity, all that good stuff.
Perhaps provide unified threat management and deep packet inspection as a value-added service. Managed internet security for residential customers and small business.
As more and more of our services go cloud-based, particularly with the proliferation of Internet of Things devices that need to have constant connectivity, we are going to need to find a better way to deal with the issues of proactive monitoring and acting on internet traffic coming from the home, versus ham-fisted and draconian methods such as port blocking that diminish the value of the broadband connectivity in the first place.
This isn't just an issue of net neutrality; it's the only way we are going to be able to seamlessly move to the cloud, long term. The price of entry should not have to be a direct Tier-1 leased line, with an enterprise class service-level agreement and a private virtual circuit to the cloud provider.
Cloud services should be accessible to everyone. It is possible to be both safe and open, but it will require a re-thinking of how providers allow access to those pipes.
Net neutered: When ISPs like Comcast crash the cloud - ZDNet
- IT spending on Internet connectivity, security to rise in India: Report - Business Insider India - July 6th, 2020
- VPNs are the need-of-the-hour for safe and fast connections as we work-from-home - The Hindu - July 6th, 2020
- What is network security in the cloud computing era? - TechRadar - July 6th, 2020
- Revealed: How home router manufacturers dropped the ball on security - TechHive - July 6th, 2020
- Malaysia Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Akamai Is an Overlooked Web Infrastructure Play. Its a Buy, Analyst Says. - Barron's - July 6th, 2020
- According to Latest Report on Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market to Grow with an Impressive CAGR - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Enterprise Firewall Market Overview and Regional Outlook with Research Study 2019 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- How Have I Been Pwned became the keeper of the internets biggest data breaches - TechCrunch - July 6th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Trends, Opportunities, Key Players, Growth, Analysis, Outlook & Forecasts To 2026 - Daily Research... - July 6th, 2020
- WISeKey develops WIShelter Covid-19 secured smartphone app, using digital IDs and blockchain protocols, to certify users that are not infected with... - July 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies Adding to the Safety and Security in the UK Gambling Industry - London Post - July 6th, 2020
- Voice recordings from domestic violence alerting app exposed on the internet - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- The lack of women in cybersecurity puts us all at greater risk - The Next Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cascading Security Through the Internet of Things Supply Chain - Lawfare - June 30th, 2020
- How to Build the Right Security Assessment - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- Apple may have just changed a key part of how the internet works - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Indians most concerned about identity theft - Fortune India - June 30th, 2020
- Deeper Connect Mini: Decentralized, Private and Secure Internet for the People, launching June 30th on Indiegogo. - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security: Technologies and Global Markets - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Could Donald Trump claim a national security threat to shut down the internet? - Brookings Institution - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market Strategic Insights 2020 with analysis of Leading players: Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco... - June 30th, 2020
- Global IT Security Market is accounted for xx USD million in 2019 and is expected to reach xx USD million by 2025 growing at a CAGR of xx% : Blue... - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Share, Growth, Revenue, Global Industry Analysis and Future Demand |Globalmarketers.biz - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Surge in encrypted malware prompts warning about detection strategies - SecurityBrief Europe - June 30th, 2020
- NexTech AR to supply its video conferencing and virtual events platform to Dallas Independent School District - Proactive Investors UK - June 30th, 2020
- Dutch people are least concerned about safety, survey reveals - IamExpat in the Netherlands - June 30th, 2020
- Only 31% of Americans concerned with data security, despite 400% rise in cyberattacks - TechRepublic - June 24th, 2020
- WatchGuard Technologies Report Finds Two-Thirds of Malware is Encrypted, Invisible Without HTTPS Inspection - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- How To Turn Off Firewall In Windows And Mac - Ubergizmo - June 24th, 2020
- OTF's Work Is Vital for a Free and Open Internet - EFF - June 24th, 2020
- Microsoft acquires CyberX to bolster Azure IoT security - Internet of Things News - IoT Tech News - June 24th, 2020
- Partner Content: ESET and Spire Technology on why you need a Password Manager - PCR-online.biz - June 24th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Google is on a mission to stop you from reusing passwords - The Verge - June 24th, 2020
- Marking the 30th Anniversary of the Internet and Cybersecurity Treaty - CircleID - June 24th, 2020
- The Cyberlaw Podcast: Using the Internet to Cause Emotional Distress is a Felony? - Lawfare - June 24th, 2020
- DDoS Protection Market 2020 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Julian Assange Extradition and the Freedom of Bitcoin Bitcoin... - Bitcoin Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- How to become a web developer? - The Tribune - June 24th, 2020
- Frost & Sullivan Report Finds BlackBerry Solutions Address 96% of the Enterprise Threat Landscape - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- EAC to evaluate testing and certification of non-voting equipment - Politico - June 24th, 2020
- Global IT Security Spending Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Check Point Software Technologies, Cisco Systems, EMC, Fortinet,... - June 24th, 2020
- OPAQ Webinar to Share Lessons Learned and Best Practices from Zero Trust Migration Project with TTX Company - Business Wire - June 24th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technology Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - NJ MMA... - June 24th, 2020
- Put Your Risk on Mute: Using PKI to Simplify Remote Workforce Security - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - June 24th, 2020
- NetNumber Expands Industry Recognized Signaling Firewall to Protect SIP Connections - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- How to fight back against Covid-19 scams - Global Banking And Finance Review - June 24th, 2020
- What Will The Crypto Market Look Like In A Post COVID-19 Economy? | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - June 24th, 2020
- US: Congress Should Back Open Technology Fund - Human Rights Watch - June 21st, 2020
- David Pratt: Will the next global pandemic take place online? - The National - June 21st, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Industry Market Insights, Opportunity, Analysis, Market Shares & Forecast 2020 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- Facial recognition to play key role in travel reopening as biometrics industry weighs social responsibility - Biometric Update - June 21st, 2020
- 'IT Act does not protect freedom of speech' - The Sunday Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Distributed Denial Of Service (DDoS) Protection Market 2020 Key Players A10... - June 21st, 2020
- Cyber Liability Insurance Market (USD 4.6 Billion) Will Grow At A CAGR of 11.12% During Forecast Period 2020-2025 (Impact Analysis of COVID-19) - 3rd... - June 21st, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market research report presents a thorough study on the overall market by Application Forecast To 2020 - Surfacing... - June 21st, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market 2020 SWOT Analysis & Key Business Strategies by Leading Industry Players and Forecast 2025... - June 21st, 2020
- Knoxville still quiet on ransomware attack and what's being done to fix it - Knoxville News Sentinel - June 21st, 2020
- Indias digital workforce needs secure software. Testing, not banning apps, is the answer - ThePrint - June 21st, 2020
- Bolton book can be released, but conduct 'raises grave national security concerns' - ABC News - June 21st, 2020
- Broadband Connection Disconnected: Things You Can Do To Fix It - TelecomTalk - June 21st, 2020
- Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt says there's 'no question' Huawei routed data to Beijing - CNBC - June 21st, 2020
- Dating Apps Exposed 845 GB of Explicit Photos, Chats, and More - WIRED - June 21st, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players - News by aeresearch - June 11th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Size, Development Analysis, Applications and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 11th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of... - June 11th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market Impact Of Covid-19 And Benchmarking. - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 11th, 2020
- Drivers is Responsible to for Increasing Internet Security Software Market Share, Forecast 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 11th, 2020
- Webroot Internet Security with Antivirus Protection Software | 3 Device | 1 Year Subscription | PC Download - The Report - June 11th, 2020
- Endpoint Security Market to Cross US$ 10,026 MN by 2026, Growing Adoption of Work from Home Services to Favor Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - June 11th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole... - June 11th, 2020
- Yukon's Gurdeep Pandher tries to spread some joy on social media - Lindsay Advocate - June 11th, 2020
- Microsoft Windows users in UAE advised to install security updates - Khaleej Times - June 11th, 2020
- Clear guidelines for remote work will boost security and control access - TechRepublic - June 5th, 2020
- Mozilla Funds Meething to Help Fix the Internet - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- The Internet of Bodies is here. This is how it will change our lives - World Economic Forum - June 5th, 2020
- Crowdstrike CEO explains how the future of remote work and security will look - CNBC - June 5th, 2020
- Mocana Recognized as Industry Leader in Cybersecurity and the Industrial Internet of Things - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- SC Awards Europe 2020 - CISO/CSO of the Year - SC Magazine UK - June 5th, 2020