Cyber risk climbs the organizational priority ladder every year, but it accelerated in a unique way with the pandemic conditions of 2020. The World Economic Forums newly-released principles for board governance of cybersecurity offer a base of best practices for dealing with this new reality, with a new element being a strong emphasis on organization-wide implementation of cybersecurity culture.
The report identifies six core principles that the WEF believes are items of the most immediate importance, with an eye toward expanding them into a research agenda at some point in the near future. The ultimate goal is a cohesive approach to cyber risk governance that can be applied globally. For the moment, the project supports each of these core principles with a basic framework aimed at facilitating immediate implementation.
The WEF research team, composed of members of the Internet Security Alliance (ISA) and drawing from surveys conducted among the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD), cautions that business leaders need to immediately begin viewing cyber risk as a potentially existential concern. Both consumers and government regulators are now judging companies by how tight of a security ship they run and how well they protect sensitive personal information that is entrusted to them.
The WEFs ideal vision is a cohesive, global, cross-border approach to cyber risk governance. That doesnt exist as of yet, but the report is intended as a first step. The most important core element, convincing board directors that cybersecurity should be a priority for improvement in the immediate future, appears to already be a majority opinion with 60.5% of NACD respondents classifying it as important or very important. Additionally, 70% view cyber threats as a strategic, enterprise risk.
Respondents to the World Economic Forum Global Risk Report 2021 listed cybersecurity failure as the fourth most pressing business risk in the near term (0 to 2 years), behind only infectious diseases, livelihood crises and extreme weather events. Rapidly developing and changing cybersecurity threats were also #4 on the list of expected trends that will have the greatest impact on companies in the coming year.
The six board governance principles begin with the suggestion that cybersecurity be viewed as a strategic business enabler rather than merely an IT issue. WEF frames cyber risk, which has now increased to the point that it is virtually omnipresent, as a continual opportunity to both preserve and create value. Key board governance considerations here include regular inclusion of cyber risk considerations in board meetings, ensuring that a board committee has oversight of cyber issues and asking executives to identify opportunities to use cybersecurity as a market differentiator or business driver.
The second board governance principle is developing a clear understanding of economic drivers and impact of cyber risk. Board governance suggestions here include regularly engaging in scenario planning that models trade-offs between digital transformation and cyber risk, and establishing a consistent risk quantification framework for calculating likelihood and economic impact of various cybersecurity scenarios.
The third board governance principle is to align cyber risk management with business needs. This can be done by requiring the C suite to report to the board on the cybersecurity implications of their activities and to develop tested plans for anticipated events, and by requiring management to provide the board with road maps of the companys determinations of risk materiality through the lens of regulatory obligations.
The fourth board governance principle is to ensure that organizational design supports cybersecurity. Suggestions in this area include setting expectations that cybersecurity receives adequate funding and staffing, cultivating a cybersecurity culture that extends beyond the IT department and appointing an accountable officer responsible for coordinating organization-wide cyber risk strategy.
The fifth principle is to integrate cybersecurity expertise into board governance. This could mean regular training for board directors, soliciting regular reports from third-party advisors / assessors, or periodic audits among other possibilities.
The final suggested board governance principle is to encourage systemic resilience and collaboration. The report suggests the creation of peer networks for sharing best practices that extend beyond individual organizations, putting similar collaboration plans in place and sending management to participate in industry groups and knowledge-sharing platforms.
While there is much more subtlety to the case than this, you can boil the report down to a fundamental argument: boards need to pay more attention to cybersecurity and pay more forward in the way of resources and staffing to keep pace with what is an exponentially increasing risk. However, the one entirely new element here (in the sense of not being suggested in prior WEF publications) is the emphasis on inter-organization collaboration and a general refocus on cyber risk as a systemic and pernicious threat that manifests in very similar ways for all sorts of different businesses. Cyber risk must not only move up the ladder from technicians to an active role among boards of directors, but management must engage on the topic with the management of other organizations to improve outcomes.
Report identifies 6 core principles that the WEF believes are items of the most immediate importance for addressing #cyberrisk. #cybersecurity #respectdataClick to Tweet
The WEF anticipates expanding on these initial principles with further publications in the near future, but has not yet announced a specific time frame.
- Internet Security Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Growth, and Key Companies Analysis- HPE, IBM, Intel,... - April 8th, 2021
- Utah is the 2nd State to Create a Safe Harbor for Companies Facing Data Breach Litigation - Lexology - April 8th, 2021
- Unpatched SAP applications are target-rich ground for hackers - ComputerWeekly.com - April 8th, 2021
- Verizon Mobile Security Index: COVID-19 unearths new cyber threats for businesses - Verizon Communications - April 6th, 2021
- Preparing cyber professionals for the real world - ACS - April 6th, 2021
- Upgrade your digital security and enjoy a cleaner internet experience with this plug-and-play filter | TheHill - The Hill - April 6th, 2021
- How the quick shift to the cloud has led to more security risks - TechRepublic - April 6th, 2021
- Airlock Digital Further Improves its Allowlisting Solution - Enterprise Security Mag - April 6th, 2021
- Dotlines CTO Eftekhar builds the first-ever DIY productivity & security solution - Hindustan Times - April 6th, 2021
- Security-as-a-Service Market is poised to surge at a CAGR of over 18% through 2031 - Yahoo Finance - April 6th, 2021
- WatchGuard uncovers top cyber threat trends of Q4 2020 - SecurityBrief New Zealand - April 6th, 2021
- PKI: Securing a variety of use cases in today's digital organizations - SecurityInfoWatch - April 6th, 2021
- What's next for encryption if the RSA algorithm is broken? - CSO Online - April 6th, 2021
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2020 Industry Insights and Major Players are Cisco Systems, Kaspersky Lab, Intel Corporation, Symantec... - April 6th, 2021
- North Korea continues targeting security researchers. Holiday Bear gained access to DHS emails. Charming Kitten is phishing for medical professionals.... - April 6th, 2021
- Tackle security threats before they arise with AT&T ActiveArmor - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - April 6th, 2021
- Fraud warnings. Ransomware and the pressure to pay. MobiKwik update. - The CyberWire - April 6th, 2021
- How the Internet of Medical Things (IoMT) Helps Combat Connected Health Security Threats? - CIO Applications - April 6th, 2021
- The State of Endpoint Threats and Internet Security in 2021 - TechDecisions - March 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Internet of Things (IoT) Security Industry to 2025 - Key Drivers, Challenges and Trends - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Glonal Internet Security Audit Market 2021 Industry Outlook, Research, Key Trends and Forecast to 2026 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 31st, 2021
- State of the Internet / Security: Adapting to the Unpredictable - BankInfoSecurity.com - March 31st, 2021
- WatchGuard reports the ups and downs of malware - iTWire - March 31st, 2021
- How did the cyber attack on Nine and Parliament House happen? - ABC News - March 31st, 2021
- Internet Security Software Industry Insight report 2021-2026 Covering Prime Factors and Competitive Outlook by Key Players SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 31st, 2021
- Meet the 2021 SC Awards judges | SC Media - SC Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Everything You Need to Know About Broken Authentication - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - March 31st, 2021
- Internet Security Software Market Analysis Based on Development Strategy, Industry Statistics, and Future Prospects SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 31st, 2021
- U.S. conducted more than two dozen operations to thwart foreign cyberattacks before 2020 election - SecurityInfoWatch - March 31st, 2021
- SIS: Covid-19 could lead to greater terror threat - Newsroom - March 31st, 2021
- Colt runs further with IBM to accelerate adoption of edge computing - ComputerWeekly.com - March 31st, 2021
- Global Internet Security Market Report 2020-2024: Market is Poised to Grow by $20.41 Billion - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - March 21st, 2021
- Privacy vs Anonymity vs Security: Why They Don't All Mean the Same Thing - MUO - MakeUseOf - March 21st, 2021
- Hire and Train a Cyber Incident Response Team in Healthcare - HealthTech Magazine - March 21st, 2021
- Recent Developmens in Internet Security Software Market with Emerging Technologies, Business Opportunity and Industry Forecast to 2026 Jumbo News -... - March 21st, 2021
- Cyber security gets recognized The Merciad - The Merciad - March 18th, 2021
- The Internet of Things Is Everywhere. Are You Secure? - Security Boulevard - March 18th, 2021
- International Policy Review Puts Cyber at the centre of the UK's Security - GOV.UK - March 18th, 2021
- Where Will Datasea Inc (DTSS) Stock Go Next After It Has Risen 3.97% in a Week? - InvestorsObserver - March 18th, 2021
- How to Find a Network Security Key in the Devices You Love - G2 - March 18th, 2021
- Canada's big carriers, ISPs turn thumbs down on proposed mandatory botnet-fighting regime - IT World Canada - March 18th, 2021
- Global Biohacking Market 2020-2025: COVID-19 Pandemic has Led to a Surge in Market Growth for the Pharma Industries Engaged in Biohacking -... - March 18th, 2021
- Internet Security Hardware Market Size 2021: Production, Revenue, Price Trend By Types & Market Analysis By Application and Forecast 20212027|... - March 18th, 2021
- How Network Technology Shifts Are Changing the Way Things Are Done - Channel Futures - March 18th, 2021
- 5 Malware Removal Tools That Keep You Safe - G2 - March 18th, 2021
- What Is Internet Security? | McAfee - March 10th, 2021
- Automotive Cyber Security Market is anticipated to exhibit a CAGR of close to 8% over the next ten years - Yahoo Finance - March 10th, 2021
- Microsoft's big email hack: What happened, who did it, and why it matters - CNBC - March 10th, 2021
- Can we keep hackers from shorting the grid? - The Indian Express - March 10th, 2021
- Over 6,700 VMware Servers With Remote Code Execution Security Bug Exposed to the Internet - CPO Magazine - March 10th, 2021
- A discussion on the security of the United States - The American Legion - March 10th, 2021
- Experts warn of growing number of COVID-19 scams preying on pandemic fears and vaccine shortages - National Post - March 10th, 2021
- Cities, towns warned of potential server infiltration - WWLP.com - March 10th, 2021
- John McAfee, software creator with Alabama ties, charged with cheating investors out of $13 million - AL.com - March 10th, 2021
- Tech executives testify in Solorigate hearing. Accellion breach updates. Silver Sparrow targets Macs. - The CyberWire - February 28th, 2021
- IRS Tax Identity Theft and Fraud Resources - The CPA Journal - February 28th, 2021
- $110 Billion Worldwide Internet Security Global Market to 2027 - Impact of COVID-19 on the Market - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 22nd, 2021
- 6 Security Methods to Protect You and Your Customers - Security Boulevard - February 22nd, 2021
- Railways stung by breaches in IT applications during pandemic - The Hindu - February 22nd, 2021
- A Trippy Visualization Charts the Internet's Growth Since 1997 - WIRED - February 22nd, 2021
- Datasea Inc (DTSS) Stock: What Does the Chart Say Monday? - InvestorsObserver - February 22nd, 2021
- Connected Medical Devices Security Market 2021 to Witness Lucrative Growth in Coming Years with Top Key Players GE Healthcare, Cisco Systems, CA... - February 22nd, 2021
- Comprehensvie Report on: Internet Security Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis of Top Players and Forecasts The Bisouv Network... - February 22nd, 2021
- NCSC cyber defence scheme blocked thousands of scams in 2019 - ComputerWeekly.com - February 22nd, 2021
- Panel: 90% of cyber attacks are occasioned by human error, and they're on the rise - NJBIZ - February 22nd, 2021
- Growth Opportunities of IIoT in Small and Medium Scale Enterprises, 2020 Report - Data Communications and Connectivity Between Devices Encouraging... - February 22nd, 2021
- Internet Security Software Market: Find Out Essential Strategies to expand The Business and Also Check Working in 2021-2028 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 14th, 2021
- Akamai Realigns Organization Around Market-leading Internet Security and Edge Technology Solutions - CXOToday.com - February 14th, 2021
- New UK Cyber Security Council to be official governing body on training and standards - GOV.UK - February 14th, 2021
- The greatest security threat of the post-truth age - BBC News - February 14th, 2021
- 80% of medtech firms suffered a cyber attack in the past five years - IT PRO - February 14th, 2021
- Internet Security Software Market is Thriving Worldwide with Surprising Transition During 2021-2026 Atlantic Financial Management - Atlantic... - February 14th, 2021
- Evaluation of Internet Security Market 2021-2026: Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategy The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - February 14th, 2021
- Internet Security Software Market Experiences a Noticeable Growth with Key Dynamics at High CAGR value NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 14th, 2021
- Cloud Security Alliance Announced Internet of Things (IoT) Security Controls Framework Version 2 - ARC Viewpoints - January 31st, 2021
- Internet Security Software Market is Rapidly Growing with Huge Application Scope & Opportunities by 2021-2028 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU... - January 31st, 2021
- Verizon offers new Complete Business Bundle to aid small business recovery - Verizon News - January 31st, 2021
- Information Security: At the onset, set the philosophy and strategy right, says N. Raman, Group GM CISO, ONGC - Express Computer - January 31st, 2021
- Mozilla: Racism, misinformation, anti-worker policies are undermining the Internet - ZDNet - January 31st, 2021
- Shipping needs to raise its cyber game. - Lloyd's Register - January 31st, 2021