Theres big money in fake love. Over the years, romance scammers have preyed upon the lonely and vulnerable to steal hundreds of millions of dollars likely racking up into the billions.
Such scams usually sees a criminal masquerading as someone else online, often on dating sites, to gain a victims confidence. Once trust or perhaps love, on the part of the victim is established, the scammer asks for cash.
According to recent Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) figures, romance scammers stole $475m from unsuspecting victims in 2019.
While the FTC puts this figure at $201m, one thing is clear: romance scams are at an all-time high.
And as ESET cybersecurity specialist Jake Moore points out, the real figure could be far higher than the statistics suggest.
Romance scams are huge but still we only hear about the tip of the iceberg as few people want to let everyone know theyve been scammed in this way, he tells Verdict.
But people shouldnt be embarrassed as fraudsters are convincing storytellers. These criminals are very good at what they do and can manipulate their victims into sending money after gaining their trust rapidly.
Valentines Day, and the period surrounding it, is an obvious target for romance scammers. Research by ESET, a Slovakian internet security firm, claims that 52% of singletons are more likely to fall for romance scams at this time of year.
Although some may find it difficult to understand why you would transfer money to someone youve never met, Agari senior threat researcher Ronnie Tokazowski says there are a lot more moving parts than people realise.
While we may be quick to assume that victims are aware of their actions, our research shows that this is quite the opposite, Tokazowski tells Verdict.
Agari, which specialises in email security, has previously uncovered a romance scam group dubbed Scarlet Widow. The Nigerian crime ring specifically targeted dating sites for the disabled and divorced.
Victims truly think they are in an actual relationship, and in many cases are able to repeat the fake facts from scammers back to law enforcement, says Tokazowski.
Get the Verdict morning email
With law enforcement getting partial stories from victims who think they are actually in a relationship doing business transactions for a spouse, it becomes extremely difficult to track and cluster this activity.
Despite the prevalence of these scams, there are telltale signs that can give them away. The FTC notes that scammers will often say they are living in a different country, which makes it easier to put off meeting face to face. It also gives the scammer an opportunity to ask for money for a plane ticket to visit their victim.
They will usually mention money problems at some point or mention debt collectors, says Moore. Plus they will put off meeting up by coming up with a colourful selection of excuses.
If you have suspicions about an online relationship, talking to friends and family about it can provide a more objective opinion.
Scammers use romance victims for different things, including purchasing gift cards, cashing fraudulent checks, and laundering funds, always promising that the transactions are legitimate, adds Tokazowski.
Victims are told multiple different stories about the source of the money, such as paying legal or business fees for something.
Moore recommends carrying out background checks to verify the identity of someone met online, which is something just 29% of Brits do, according to ESETs research.
I suggest people search online for the names of people and then do a reverse Google image search to see if their profile photo features anywhere else, he says.
Those that suspect they are the victim of a romance scam should file a complaint at IC3.gov, says Tokazowski.
Finally it goes without saying, however confident you may feel talking to them, never send money to anyone you havent met in person, adds Moore.
Read more: Scarlet Widow: The romance scam group preying on the disabled and divorced
- Voice recordings from domestic violence alerting app exposed on the internet - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- The lack of women in cybersecurity puts us all at greater risk - The Next Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cascading Security Through the Internet of Things Supply Chain - Lawfare - June 30th, 2020
- How to Build the Right Security Assessment - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- Apple may have just changed a key part of how the internet works - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Indians most concerned about identity theft - Fortune India - June 30th, 2020
- Deeper Connect Mini: Decentralized, Private and Secure Internet for the People, launching June 30th on Indiegogo. - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security: Technologies and Global Markets - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Could Donald Trump claim a national security threat to shut down the internet? - Brookings Institution - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market Strategic Insights 2020 with analysis of Leading players: Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco... - June 30th, 2020
- Global IT Security Market is accounted for xx USD million in 2019 and is expected to reach xx USD million by 2025 growing at a CAGR of xx% : Blue... - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Share, Growth, Revenue, Global Industry Analysis and Future Demand |Globalmarketers.biz - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Surge in encrypted malware prompts warning about detection strategies - SecurityBrief Europe - June 30th, 2020
- NexTech AR to supply its video conferencing and virtual events platform to Dallas Independent School District - Proactive Investors UK - June 30th, 2020
- Dutch people are least concerned about safety, survey reveals - IamExpat in the Netherlands - June 30th, 2020
- Only 31% of Americans concerned with data security, despite 400% rise in cyberattacks - TechRepublic - June 24th, 2020
- WatchGuard Technologies Report Finds Two-Thirds of Malware is Encrypted, Invisible Without HTTPS Inspection - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- How To Turn Off Firewall In Windows And Mac - Ubergizmo - June 24th, 2020
- OTF's Work Is Vital for a Free and Open Internet - EFF - June 24th, 2020
- Microsoft acquires CyberX to bolster Azure IoT security - Internet of Things News - IoT Tech News - June 24th, 2020
- Partner Content: ESET and Spire Technology on why you need a Password Manager - PCR-online.biz - June 24th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Google is on a mission to stop you from reusing passwords - The Verge - June 24th, 2020
- Marking the 30th Anniversary of the Internet and Cybersecurity Treaty - CircleID - June 24th, 2020
- The Cyberlaw Podcast: Using the Internet to Cause Emotional Distress is a Felony? - Lawfare - June 24th, 2020
- DDoS Protection Market 2020 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Julian Assange Extradition and the Freedom of Bitcoin Bitcoin... - Bitcoin Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- How to become a web developer? - The Tribune - June 24th, 2020
- Frost & Sullivan Report Finds BlackBerry Solutions Address 96% of the Enterprise Threat Landscape - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- EAC to evaluate testing and certification of non-voting equipment - Politico - June 24th, 2020
- Global IT Security Spending Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Check Point Software Technologies, Cisco Systems, EMC, Fortinet,... - June 24th, 2020
- OPAQ Webinar to Share Lessons Learned and Best Practices from Zero Trust Migration Project with TTX Company - Business Wire - June 24th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technology Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - NJ MMA... - June 24th, 2020
- Put Your Risk on Mute: Using PKI to Simplify Remote Workforce Security - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - June 24th, 2020
- NetNumber Expands Industry Recognized Signaling Firewall to Protect SIP Connections - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- How to fight back against Covid-19 scams - Global Banking And Finance Review - June 24th, 2020
- What Will The Crypto Market Look Like In A Post COVID-19 Economy? | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - June 24th, 2020
- US: Congress Should Back Open Technology Fund - Human Rights Watch - June 21st, 2020
- David Pratt: Will the next global pandemic take place online? - The National - June 21st, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Industry Market Insights, Opportunity, Analysis, Market Shares & Forecast 2020 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- Facial recognition to play key role in travel reopening as biometrics industry weighs social responsibility - Biometric Update - June 21st, 2020
- 'IT Act does not protect freedom of speech' - The Sunday Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Distributed Denial Of Service (DDoS) Protection Market 2020 Key Players A10... - June 21st, 2020
- Cyber Liability Insurance Market (USD 4.6 Billion) Will Grow At A CAGR of 11.12% During Forecast Period 2020-2025 (Impact Analysis of COVID-19) - 3rd... - June 21st, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market research report presents a thorough study on the overall market by Application Forecast To 2020 - Surfacing... - June 21st, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market 2020 SWOT Analysis & Key Business Strategies by Leading Industry Players and Forecast 2025... - June 21st, 2020
- Knoxville still quiet on ransomware attack and what's being done to fix it - Knoxville News Sentinel - June 21st, 2020
- Indias digital workforce needs secure software. Testing, not banning apps, is the answer - ThePrint - June 21st, 2020
- Bolton book can be released, but conduct 'raises grave national security concerns' - ABC News - June 21st, 2020
- Broadband Connection Disconnected: Things You Can Do To Fix It - TelecomTalk - June 21st, 2020
- Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt says there's 'no question' Huawei routed data to Beijing - CNBC - June 21st, 2020
- Dating Apps Exposed 845 GB of Explicit Photos, Chats, and More - WIRED - June 21st, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players - News by aeresearch - June 11th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Size, Development Analysis, Applications and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 11th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of... - June 11th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market Impact Of Covid-19 And Benchmarking. - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 11th, 2020
- Drivers is Responsible to for Increasing Internet Security Software Market Share, Forecast 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 11th, 2020
- Webroot Internet Security with Antivirus Protection Software | 3 Device | 1 Year Subscription | PC Download - The Report - June 11th, 2020
- Endpoint Security Market to Cross US$ 10,026 MN by 2026, Growing Adoption of Work from Home Services to Favor Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - June 11th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole... - June 11th, 2020
- Yukon's Gurdeep Pandher tries to spread some joy on social media - Lindsay Advocate - June 11th, 2020
- Microsoft Windows users in UAE advised to install security updates - Khaleej Times - June 11th, 2020
- Clear guidelines for remote work will boost security and control access - TechRepublic - June 5th, 2020
- Mozilla Funds Meething to Help Fix the Internet - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- The Internet of Bodies is here. This is how it will change our lives - World Economic Forum - June 5th, 2020
- Crowdstrike CEO explains how the future of remote work and security will look - CNBC - June 5th, 2020
- Mocana Recognized as Industry Leader in Cybersecurity and the Industrial Internet of Things - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- SC Awards Europe 2020 - CISO/CSO of the Year - SC Magazine UK - June 5th, 2020
- Spike in cryptojacking attempts on devices here, says cyber-security firm - The Straits Times - June 5th, 2020
- The impact of spycraft on how we secure our data - ComputerWeekly.com - June 5th, 2020
- 4 Common Online Frauds That You Need to Know - Techjaja - June 5th, 2020
- This $350 "Anti-5G" Device Is Apparently Just a USB Stick - WIRED - June 5th, 2020
- Cloud DDoS Mitigation Software Market Potential Growth, Share, Demand And Analysis Of Key Players- Analysis Forecasts To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 5th, 2020
- India wants to be a 'partner of the global economy' in its manufacturing push, minister says - CNBC - June 5th, 2020
- Amid the COVID-19 crisis and the looming economic recession, the Web Content Filtering market worldwide will grow by a projected US$3 Billion, during... - June 5th, 2020
- Mozilla VP of IT: How to stay secure while remote working - BusinessCloud - June 5th, 2020
- 6 ways to delete yourself from the internet - CNET - June 5th, 2020
- Is COVID-19 Making the Internet Sick? - Government Technology - May 27th, 2020
- Thanks to Physics, This Chocolate Is Iridescentand Safe to Eat - Smithsonian.com - May 27th, 2020
- $100 million in bounties paid by HackerOne to ethical hackers - BleepingComputer - May 27th, 2020