Schrdingers WebJonathan P. DowlingCRC Press, $40.95
When news broke last year that Googles quantum computer Sycamore had performed a calculation faster than the fastest supercomputers could (SN: 12/16/19), it was the first time many people had ever heard of a quantum computer.
Quantum computers, which harness the strange probabilities of quantum mechanics, may prove revolutionary. They have the potential to achieve an exponential speedup over their classical counterparts, at least when it comes to solving some problems. But for now, these computers are still in their infancy, useful for only a few applications, just as the first digital computers were in the 1940s. So isnt a book about the communications network that will link quantum computers the quantum internet more than a little ahead of itself?
Surprisingly, no. As theoretical physicist Jonathan Dowling makes clear in Schrdingers Web, early versions of the quantum internet are here already for example, quantum communication has been taking place between Beijing and Shanghai via fiber-optic cables since 2016 and more are coming fast. So now is the perfect time to read up.
Dowling, who helped found the U.S. governments quantum computing program in the 1990s, is the perfect guide. Armed with a seemingly endless supply of outrageous anecdotes, memorable analogies, puns and quips, he makes the thorny theoretical details of the quantum internet both entertaining and accessible.
Readers wanting to dive right in to details of the quantum internet will have to be patient. Photons are the particles that will power the quantum internet, so we had better be sure we know what the heck they are, Dowling writes. Accordingly, the first third of the book is a historical overview of light, from Newtons 17th century idea of light as corpuscles to experiments probing the quantum reality of photons, or particles of light, in the late 20th century. There are some small historical inaccuracies the section on the Danish physicist Hans Christian rsted repeats an apocryphal tale about his serendipitous discovery of the link between electricity and magnetism and the footnotes rely too much on Wikipedia. But Dowling accomplishes what he sets out to do: Help readers develop an understanding of the quantum nature of light.
Headlines and summaries of the latest Science News articles, delivered to your inbox
Like Dowlings 2013 book on quantum computers, Schrdingers Killer App, Schrdingers Web hammers home the nonintuitive truths at the heart of quantum mechanics. For example, key to the quantum internet is entanglement that spooky action at a distance in which particles are linked across time and space, and measuring the properties of one particle instantly reveals the others properties. Two photons, for instance, can be entangled so they always have the opposite polarization, or angle of oscillation.
In the future, a user in New York could entangle two photons and then send one along a fiber-optic cable to San Francisco, where it would be received by a quantum computer. Because these photons are entangled, measuring the New York photons polarization would instantly reveal the San Francisco photons polarization. This strange reality of entanglement is what the quantum internet exploits for neat features, such as unhackable security; any eavesdropper would mess up the delicate entanglement and be revealed.While his previous book contains more detailed explanations of quantum mechanics, Dowling still finds amusing new analogies, such as Fuzz Lightyear, a canine that runs along a superposition, or quantum combination, of two paths into neighbors yards. Fuzz helps explain physicist John Wheelers delayed-choice experiment, which illustrates the uncertainty, unreality and nonlocality of the quantum world. Fuzzs path is random, the dog doesnt exist on one path until we measure him, and measuring one path seems to instantly affect which yard Fuzz enters even if hes light-years away.
The complexities of the quantum web are saved for last, and even with Dowlings help, the details are not for the faint of heart. Readers will learn how to prepare Bell tests to check that a system of particles is entangled (SN: 8/28/15), navigate bureaucracy in the Department of Defense and send unhackable quantum communications with the dryly named BB84 and E91 protocols. Dowling also goes over some recent milestones in the development of a quantum internet, such as the 2017 quantum-secured videocall between scientists in China and Austria via satellite (SN: 9/29/17).
Just like the classical internet, we really wont figure out what the quantum internet is useful for until it is up and running, Dowling writes, so people can start playing around with it. Some of his prognostications seem improbable. Will people really have quantum computers on their phones and exchange entangled photons across the quantum internet?
Dowling died unexpectedly in June at age 65, before he could see this future come to fruition. Once when I interviewed him, he invoked Arthur C. Clarkes first law to justify why he thought another esteemed scientist was wrong. The first law is that if a distinguished, elderly scientist tells you something is possible, hes very likely right, he said. If he tells you something is impossible, hes very likely wrong.
Dowling died too soon to be considered elderly, but he was distinguished, and Schrdingers Web lays out a powerful case for the possibility of a quantum internet.
Buy Schrdingers Web from Amazon.com.Science Newsis a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Please see ourFAQfor more details.
Continue reading here:
Schrdingers Web offers a sneak peek at the quantum internet - Science News
- Cyber security and the Internet of Things - Lexology - November 16th, 2020
- Save over $6,400 off this Complete InfoSec & Business Continuity Bundle - Neowin - November 16th, 2020
- Official Government Cybersecurity Guidance Offers Six Focus Areas for Banks of All Sizes - Lexology - November 16th, 2020
- Internet Security Audit Market is Expected to Exhibit an Upward Growth Trend Across Widespread Verticals | Affluence - The Think Curiouser - November 16th, 2020
- Internet Of Things Security Market 2020: Global Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Size, Revenue and Forecast up to 2020 2026 - The Daily... - November 16th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technology Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2027 -... - November 16th, 2020
- 6 security shortcomings that COVID-19 exposed - CSO Online - November 16th, 2020
- iboss Named Finalist for Best Network Security Solution in the 2020 ASTORS Homeland Security Awards - PR Web - November 16th, 2020
- Microsoft: Move Away From Phone-based Multi-factor Authentication - TechDecisions - November 16th, 2020
- Global Cable Operator Markets, 2020-2025 by Technology, Residential Services (Wireless, Internet, Entertainment, Security, Home Automation, and IoT... - November 16th, 2020
- Why fintech security must never be an afterthought Wall Street Call - Reported Times - November 16th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market Share, Quantitative Analysis, Drivers & Restraints, Future Trends and Forecast Research Report 2026 by Global... - November 10th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market Size, Share, Types, Products, Trends, Growth, Applications and Forecast 2020 to 2027 - TechnoWeekly - November 10th, 2020
- How the Internet of Things Security Infrastructure in India can be improved? - Analytics Insight - November 10th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things Security Market 2025 Potential Scope for Growth in This Pandamic: Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco Systems,... - November 10th, 2020
- What is a RAT? How remote access Trojans became a major threat - CSO Online - November 10th, 2020
- China's largest hackathon sees Windows 10, iOS 14, Chrome, and more hacked - TechSpot - November 10th, 2020
- How governments, companies can address evolving needs of increasing tech-savvy Filipinos - Philstar.com - November 10th, 2020
- Global IT Security Market 2020 Growth Potential, Production, Revenue And COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - The Think Curiouser - November 10th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Will Generate Massive Revenue In Future A Comprehensive Study On Key Players - TechnoWeekly - November 10th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - November 8th, 2020
- Misinformation, not vote tampering, is our most critical election threat - SecurityInfoWatch - November 8th, 2020
- Top 7 Ways to Hide Your IP Address in 2021 - Techstory - November 8th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market Current and Future Trends, Leading Players, Industry Segments and Regional Forecast By 2029 - Eurowire - November 6th, 2020
- Know Your Role: You Are Part of the Security Team - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - November 6th, 2020
- 'This is how it was all supposed to work': The EI-ISAC readies for Election Day - StateScoop - November 6th, 2020
- Two reasons your Wi-Fi is slow, and how to fix them - CNET - November 6th, 2020
- Keeping Yourself Safe on the Internet at University - TechBullion - November 6th, 2020
- IT Security Spending in Government Market Expected to Flourish By 2025 with Top Key Players- IT Security Spending in Government are: Check Point... - November 6th, 2020
- Arson, water damage: Paper ballots are fragile. But there's a reason we don't vote online - CNET - November 6th, 2020
- Live News Streaming Figures for #Election2020 Highlight Misinformation Threat - Infosecurity Magazine - November 6th, 2020
- Florida Invests in Security Controls Ahead of #Election2020 - Infosecurity Magazine - November 6th, 2020
- How to Organize Employees to Cooperate in Threat Mitigation - Infosecurity Magazine - November 6th, 2020
- The best antivirus protection for Windows 10 in 2020 - CNET - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet Security Firewall Market to Reap Excessive Revenues by 2020-2029 - Eurowire - November 2nd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period :HPE, IBM, Intel, Symantec, AlienVault - TechnoWeekly - November 2nd, 2020
- Poll shows that many feel more vulnerable to online threats during the pandemic - Wiltshire 999s - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market To Witness Significant Growth By 2020-2028 - TechnoWeekly - November 2nd, 2020
- Post-2020 election, Covid vaccine is biggest disinformation threat on the internet: Former Facebook security chief - CNBC - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies |... - November 2nd, 2020
- Career in cybersecurity or ethical hacking: Where to study, starting salary and job interview questions - India Today - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet Of Everything (IoE) Market Status and Trend: Top Key Players, Industry Dynamics, And Regional Scope 2020 - Aerospace Journal - November 2nd, 2020
- Security Pros Have Role in Combatting Disinformation - Infosecurity Magazine - November 2nd, 2020
- How Safe Is the US Election from Hacking? - The New York Review of Books - November 2nd, 2020
- Internet watchdog warns of rise in scammers' activity - New Zealand Herald - November 2nd, 2020
- Homeland Security notified after hackers leak names of local residents who reportedly submitted invalid ballots - iFIBER One News - November 2nd, 2020
- Global Internet of Things Security Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period :Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco... - November 2nd, 2020
- Network Security: Don't Trust And Verify - IT Jungle - October 23rd, 2020
- Akamai Reveals State of Internet: Threats to Retailers - Solutions Review - October 23rd, 2020
- Verisign Reports Third Quarter 2020 Results | Business | The Daily News - Galveston County Daily News - October 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Software Market Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, Threats, Trends, Applications, And Growth Forecast To (2026). -... - October 23rd, 2020
- Nokia Threat Intelligence Report warns of rising cyberattacks on internet-connected devices - GlobeNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Cybersecurity and a potential Biden White House: Past tech priorities resurrected - SC Magazine - October 23rd, 2020
- Virgin Media has an important new feature, but switching it on will cost you - Express - October 23rd, 2020
- WISeKey and OpSec Security Partnership Establishes Trust Between Brands and their Customers through Improved Customer Engagement - GlobeNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Internet Of Things Iot Security Market Economic Perspective And Forecast To 2027 - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Why cybercriminals have 'Gone Vishing' during the COVID-19 Pandemic - Bdaily - October 23rd, 2020
- Insights on the Digital Security Control Global Market to 2027 - Strategic Recommendations for New Entrants - GlobeNewswire - October 17th, 2020
- More than 25% of Cypriots concerned about internet security - Cyprus Mail - October 17th, 2020
- 5 things you can do to secure your home office without hiring an expert - We Live Security - October 17th, 2020
- Beyond Speed and Reliability: Security Is a New Differentiator - Security Boulevard - October 17th, 2020
- Nationwide and Generali Global Assistance Partner to Enhance Identity Theft Protection - Insurance News Net - October 17th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market 2020 Impact of COVID-19, Future Growth Analysis and Challenges | Cisco Systems, Inc, IBM... - October 17th, 2020
- Is BlackBerry (TSX:BB) Stock a Buy on the Latest News? - The Motley Fool Canada - October 17th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things or IoT Security Market to Reach $22 Billion+ Valuation by 2027, Largely Due to Blockchain Adoption - Crowdfund Insider - October 17th, 2020
- Internet Security Market with COVID-19 Recovery Analysis 2020 | Rapid Adoption of BYOD Policy to Boost Market Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - October 8th, 2020
- Tenable and the CIS Enter Partnership to Bolster Cyber Hygiene - AiThority - October 8th, 2020
- How to Build Smart Banks that Connect Customers with Modern DX - AiThority - October 8th, 2020
- #NCSAM: Is Connected Ever Going to be Protected? - Infosecurity Magazine - October 8th, 2020
- Cyber Security Awareness Month is here! - We Live Security - October 2nd, 2020
- Internet security Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - October 2nd, 2020
- Latest Report on Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Analysis, Growth, Opportunity and Regional Insights 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 2nd, 2020
- Remarks by Henrietta Fore, UNICEF Executive Director, at Security Council meeting on universal connectivity & access to digital technology in... - October 2nd, 2020
- Lessons learned from firsthand experience on how to avoid internet fraud and other forms of cyberattacks (opinion) - Inside Higher Ed - October 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Internet Security Audit Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with Top players: Symantec, Intel Security, IBM, Cisco,... - October 2nd, 2020
- Internet Security Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top Players: HPE,... - September 30th, 2020
- The Top Internet of Things (IoT) Authentication Methods and Options - Security Boulevard - September 30th, 2020
- How Trusted Internet Connections Is Focusing Telework with TIC 3.0 - FedTech Magazine - September 30th, 2020
- Is your business looking for an extra layer of security - here's why a VPN may be the answer - TechRadar - September 30th, 2020
- A business connected to the cloud needs cloud-ready security, connectivity - Techgoondu - September 30th, 2020