CHARLESTON An internet voting app that has been used in pilots in West Virginia, Denver, Oregon and Utah has vulnerabilities that could allow hackers to change a persons vote without detection, according to researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
The analysis of the Voatz app, which has mostly been used for absentee voters and overseas military personnel, found that attackers could alter, stop or expose how an individual has voted.
Voting security experts have long argued that online voting is dangerously insecure.
We all have an interest in increasing access to the ballot, but in order to maintain trust in our elections system, we must assure that voting systems meet the high technical and operation security standards before they are put in the field, Daniel Weitzner, an MIT scientist who oversaw the report, said Thursday.
The researchers said they were forced to reverse engineer an Android version of the app because Voatz hasnt allowed transparent third-party testing of the system.
Boston-based Voatz disputed the research methods, issuing a statement that said the analysts used an old version of the app and accused them of acting in bad faith. The company noted it hasnt had any reported issues in its counting of less than 600 votes over nine pilot elections.
Although few voters are expected to cast ballots on such apps in the coming election, the report casts a harsh light on the looming proposition of online voting. In 2018, Alaska explored using an online voting system but shuttered the program because of security concerns.
To some experts, a study finding holes in a smartphone voting app wasnt a shock.
Not to in any way diminish this (excellent) work, but the fact that an online mobile voting scheme has serious security flaws is ultimately unsurprising, tweeted Matt Blaze, a professor of computer science and law at Georgetown University. Every serious expert has warned against Internet voting.
Voatz was used in West Virginias 2018 elections, but state officials were quick to point out that it counted fewer than 200 ballots and had no reported problems. The app also was used in the 2016 Massachusetts Democratic Convention and the 2016 Utah Republican Convention.
The study comes as West Virginia prepares to choose an online voting system for a newly passed law requiring that it allow people with physical disabilities to vote electronically. Donald Kersey, a general counsel in the secretary of states office, said officials havent decided on which platform they will use to conform to the new law but maintained that public confidence is paramount.
Obviously, integrity and security are prime, but voter confidence is equally important, he said.
STEUBENVILLE The last of three superloads will be traveling through Weirton and Jefferson and Harrison counties ...
CHARLESTON (AP) The West Virginia Senate on Friday passed a bill encouraging power companies to use solar ...
CHARLESTON A new report detailing possible issues with a mobile voting app that could be rolled out to voters ...
See the original post here:
Security of online voting questioned | News, Sports, Jobs - The Daily Times
- Russian Security Hacking the 'Internet of Things' - Byline Times - April 2nd, 2020
- Unpacking TikTok, Mobile Apps and National Security Risks - Lawfare - April 2nd, 2020
- CDN and cloud suppliers join routing security initiative - ComputerWeekly.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Setting up home-based office solutions busy business for Cape Breton company - The Telegram - April 2nd, 2020
- Society's Dependence on the Internet: 5 Cyber Issues the Coronavirus Lays Bare - Nextgov - April 2nd, 2020
- Open Source Code - The Future of User Privacy - Privacy News Online - April 2nd, 2020
- GLOBAL INTERNET SECURITY FIREWALL MARKET LATEST DEVELOPMENTS, SHARES, AND STRATEGIES EMPLOYED BY THE MAJOR PLAYERS - The Fuel Fox - March 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus Proves We Need the Internet Now More than Ever Before - The National Interest - March 30th, 2020
- The story behind that little padlock in your browser - Horizon magazine - March 30th, 2020
- Finder helps secure the Internet in a time of crisis - CMO - March 30th, 2020
- New Security Report from WatchGuard Shows Explosion in Evasive Malware - socPub - March 30th, 2020
- One senator wants vendors to ensure their internet connectivity devices are secure - fifthdomain.com - March 30th, 2020
- How a VPN works - The Upcoming - March 30th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Wallets: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know - hackernoon.com - March 30th, 2020
- Sentrybay and Raqmiyat on delivering secure work from home solutions - Tahawul Tech - March 30th, 2020
- Dot-com price rises on their way over the next four years: ICANN approves Verisign contract, walks off with $20m - The Register - March 30th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market Overview By Threats, Major Opportunities, Drivers, Risk Analysis and Trends - Sound On Sound Fest - March 30th, 2020
- These are the companies offering free software during the coronavirus crisis - IT PRO - March 30th, 2020
- The real insider threat is the use of security software - TechRadar - March 23rd, 2020
- EFF and COVID-19: Protecting Openness, Security, and Civil Liberties - EFF - March 23rd, 2020
- Preparing for November's election must be a national priority | TheHill - The Hill - March 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 decoy doc, Cloudflare tools used to spread Blackwater malware - SC Magazine - March 23rd, 2020
- Technology saves the day as Kenyan firms send staff to work from home - The East African - March 23rd, 2020
- In Industrial Realm, Trustworthy Software Ensures - IoT World Today - March 23rd, 2020
- Security Software in Telecom Market is Growing Rapidly Due to Increasing Internet Penetration - Press Release - Digital Journal - March 23rd, 2020
- How safe is your brand in the hands of a remote workforce? - Bizcommunity.com - March 23rd, 2020
- Do Netflix And YouTube Really Need To Slash Video Quality To Save The Internet? - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- How Organizations Can Retain Talent Amidst the Infosec Skills Gap - tripwire.com - March 23rd, 2020
- Hackers are preying on fears of Covid-19, says cyber security experts - Hindustan Times - March 23rd, 2020
- These Jaw-Dropping Facts Will Change Your Mind About the Internet of Things - The Motley Fool - March 23rd, 2020
- Security Think Tank: Amid panic, how to find a sound level of security - ComputerWeekly.com - March 23rd, 2020
- As universities shut their doors, international students are left in limbo - The Verge - March 23rd, 2020
- Keeping content safe in the IP era | Industry Trends - IBC365 - March 23rd, 2020
- Students concerned with lack of internet access, job security in light of online transition - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - March 23rd, 2020
- How Safe is Your Brand in the Hands of a Remote Workforce? - Techfinancials.co.za - March 23rd, 2020
- US Bureau of Census : PRESS RELEASE | MARCH 20, 2020 Statement on 2020 Census Internet Response Security Precautions To protect the integrity of the... - March 23rd, 2020
- Fake coronavirus news is spreading faster than the virus - The Star Online - March 23rd, 2020
- Facebook didnt have to be this way - BusinessLine - March 23rd, 2020
- How Are Digital Natives Shaping the Future of Data Privacy? - Infosecurity Magazine - March 23rd, 2020
- Zero Trust Internet is the Answer - Infosecurity Magazine - March 23rd, 2020
- German government prepares for internet censorship and deployment of the armed forces - World Socialist Web Site - March 23rd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technology Market Is Expected To Thrive At Impressive Cagr By 2027 Key Players:... - March 23rd, 2020
- Norton Secure VPN - The cocoon of cybersecurity - Blasting News United States - March 13th, 2020
- New rules proposed to boost security of home routers - The Straits Times - March 13th, 2020
- Leaders should act now to counter national security threat to US elections | TheHill - The Hill - March 13th, 2020
- Cybersecurity 2020: The Trends SMBs will Need to Prepare For - CISO MAG - March 13th, 2020
- Namecheap, EFF and the Dangerous Internet Wild West - CircleID - March 13th, 2020
- EARN IT Act threatens end-to-end encryption - Naked Security - March 13th, 2020
- Apples WWDC 2020 is on in a purely digital way - Pickr - March 13th, 2020
- The EARN IT Bill Is the Government's Plan to Scan Every Message Online - EFF - March 13th, 2020
- The pitfalls of being an influencer: What parents should know and do - We Live Security - March 13th, 2020
- 25 tips for navigating the internet today - Alton Telegraph - March 13th, 2020
- Interos Raises $17.5M from Venrock and Kleiner Perkins to Grow Third-Party Risk Management Platform - GlobeNewswire - March 13th, 2020
- Why Are Internet Security Standards Badly Deployed and What to Do About It? - CircleID - March 12th, 2020
- The Internet of Things is a security nightmare reveals latest real-world analysis: unencrypted traffic, network crossover, vulnerable OSes - The... - March 12th, 2020
- How The Internet Of Things Can Transform Workplace Safety | Baird Capital | Security News - SecurityInformed - March 12th, 2020
- The Internet Avoided a Minor Disaster Last Week - WIRED - March 12th, 2020
- Applying the 80/20 rule to cloud security - Help Net Security - March 12th, 2020
- Internet Security Audit Market Report 2020: Acute Analysis of Global Demand and Supply 2025 with Major Key Player: Symantec, Intel Security, IBM,... - March 12th, 2020
- The Hidden Dangers of China's Digital Silk Road - The National Interest - March 12th, 2020
- Students Showed Trend Micro a World Without the Internet - Business Wire - March 12th, 2020
- Android anti-virus products put to the test which are the best at stopping new malicious apps? - Graham Cluley Security News - March 12th, 2020
- Internet security Market 2020 | Applications, Challenges, Growth, Shares, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Packaging News 24 - March 5th, 2020
- Eight ways to improve cyber-hygiene in the enterprise - Security Boulevard - March 5th, 2020
- The Top 8 Concerns for CISOs in 2020 - Security Boulevard - March 5th, 2020
- iboss Wins Customer Service Department of the Year - Computer Services Silver Award in the 2020 Stevie Awards for Sales and Customer Service - Yahoo... - March 5th, 2020
- 2020 Premium Ethical Hacking Certification Bundle Is Up For A Limited Time Discount Offer Avail Now - Wccftech - March 5th, 2020
- These are the first passwords hackers will try when attacking your device - ZDNet - March 5th, 2020
- US threatens to pull big techs immunities if child abuse isnt curbed - TechCrunch - March 5th, 2020
- Why SSL Encryption Will not Become a Victim of its Own Success - Infosecurity Magazine - March 5th, 2020
- Let's Encrypt: OK, maybe nuking three million HTTPS certs at once was a tad ambitious. Let's take time out - The Register - March 5th, 2020
- Modernizing Threat Management for the Evolving Attack Surfaces of OT, IoT and IoMT - Security Intelligence - March 5th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Audit Market Analysis, Key Insights, and Forecast 2025 By Application, Type, End User and Region - Feed Road - March 5th, 2020
- It has been 15 years, and we're still reporting homograph attacks web domains that stealthily use non-Latin characters to appear legit - The Register - March 5th, 2020
- WhatsApp Provides Information to Intelligence Services - What is the Safest Messenger? - Communal News - March 5th, 2020
- Dear passwords: Forget you. Here's what is going to protect us instead - USA TODAY - March 3rd, 2020
- Do these three things to protect your web security camera from hackers - ZDNet - March 3rd, 2020
- Internet security Market 2020 Analysis by Overview, Growth, Top Companies, Trends, Demand and Forecast to 2026 - Packaging News 24 - March 3rd, 2020
- Navigant Research Report Shows Global Annual Revenue for Home Automation and Security Is Expected to Reach $72 Billion in 2028 - Oklahoman.com - March 3rd, 2020
- NetAbstraction Announces Support for Private and Secure Access to the Dark Web - Yahoo Finance - March 3rd, 2020