TORONTO In a year that saw companies such as TransUnion, Facebook and Desjardins urge their Canadian users to change their passwords and monitor their financial accounts due to data breaches, its never been more important to safeguardyour personal information.
The crucial part, however, is to actually take steps to make your personal data less vulnerable to cybercriminals.
Thats really what cyber hygiene is all about, said Adrian White, director of the financial crimes division at the Canadian Bankers Association.
You want to make sure you minimize the risks by doing things on a regular basis that keep you safe from these kinds of threats in the criminal space.
The start of a new year, and (by most accounts) the start of a fresh new decade, presents an excellent nudge to review digital passwords and take othersteps to protect yourself and your finances online.
Taking action is increasingly important amid a risingnumber of major data breaches,leavingmore sensitive datavulnerable tocriminals who find devious new ways to put it all touse.
As we move into 2020, people have less and less control over the security and privacy of their personal information, said Claudiu Popa, cybersecurity expert and CEO of Informatica Corp.
With so much out of your hands, its important to keep control of the key points of entry for your personal online accounts.
First and foremost is updating your passwords, those jumbles of characters that youve been haphazardly managing since you went online. Its time to create a system that will carry you through the next decade with greater safety and peace of mind.
One of the best ways to create a secure password is to think of a phrase, and then use the first letter of each word with some numbers and symbols mixed in asthe password.The full phrase can also be used if it is easier to remember, with some added random bits toadd security.
Ive stopped calling them passwords, I call them passphrases, said Popa.
Because the emphasis is on the most important attribute of passwords, which is length. The longer they are, the more useful they are.
Better yet, use a password manager, which can create complex passwords and them remembers them so you dont have to. There are a wide variety out there, including some quite functional free versions from providers like LastPass, KeePass, and Dashlane.
The sooner you get comfortable with a password database the better, said Popa.
Next is your email,which isthe way you access all those accounts whereyouve forgotten your password because you dont have a system or password manager in place.
You should keep your primary email linked to online banking and other important accounts secure by only giving it out when necessary. Have a second email for less important accounts that dont store personal data, and consider using disposable accounts when possible, said Popa.
A lot of people just constantly give out their real, their almost permanent, their long-term personal email address because they dont know how to get a disposable one.
Thereare plentyof online services that let you set up a quick email address to satisfy those sites that demand an address when you dont feel you need to give one.
And while youre considering whether an email is needed, expand thatassessmentto any other informationasked ofyou, whether it be a request for youremail address at the big box store or a social insurance number when applying for a credit card.
The less information you give out, whether to companies or to the general public onsocial media,the lower thechances it will fall into the wrong hands.
Other important steps to stayingsecure, like keeping programs updated,checking in onyour online financial accounts, being wary of what youre connecting your devices to (especially public wifi), and to generally keep a skeptical eye on everything online.
With these two mainareas more secureyou can venture out a little more confidently in the new year.
Ian Bickis, The Canadian Press
- Beware of a cyber attack - faribaultcountyregister.com | News, Sports, Information on the Blue Earth region - Faribault County Register - February 24th, 2020
- Internet security Market 2020 Global Analysis, Research, Applications and Forecast to 2026 - Jewish Life News - February 24th, 2020
- Letter: It's an election year why isn't cybercrime on voters' minds? - Greenville News - February 24th, 2020
- Vigilantes and private security are policing the internet where governments have failed - The South African - February 24th, 2020
- Best Protection Against File Less Malware and Advanced Threats: Kaspersky Scores Most Top Three Places in 2019 Test Results - Al-Bawaba - February 24th, 2020
- The cannabis industry's next big threat: Hacks and fraud - WICZ - February 24th, 2020
- Straight Talk: That voicemail from the boss might be fake - Canton Repository - February 24th, 2020
- Microsoft patches IE vulnerability being exploited in the wild - SC Magazine - February 24th, 2020
- The best antivirus protection of 2020 for Windows 10 - CNET - February 23rd, 2020
- Vigilantes and private security are policing the internet where governments have failed - The Conversation UK - February 23rd, 2020
- The top UK cyber security companies - Information Age - February 23rd, 2020
- Cyber Minds: Expert Insights on Blockchain and Much More - Government Technology - February 23rd, 2020
- 5G and the Huawei controversy: is it about more than just security? - BBC Focus Magazine - February 23rd, 2020
- Recent IPO Cloudflare Closes Out 2019 Strong and Is Poised for More Growth - Motley Fool - February 23rd, 2020
- For Free Expression in Iran, the U.S. Can Act to Keep the Internet On - Just Security - February 23rd, 2020
- CoinGeek London: When Bitcoin SV came of age - CoinGeek - February 23rd, 2020
- Akamai: API Attacks by Cybercriminals are on the Rise - Media & Entertainment Services Alliance M&E Daily Newsletter - February 23rd, 2020
- What the Hell Is That Device, and Is It Spying on You? This App Might Have the Answer - VICE - February 23rd, 2020
- Most credential abuse attacks against the financial sector targeted APIs - Help Net Security - February 23rd, 2020
- The Cannabis Industrys Next Big Threat: Hacks And Fraud - CBS Denver - February 23rd, 2020
- Google removes nearly 600 ad-ware apps from Play store - Deccan Herald - February 23rd, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Current Trends, Services, Innovations, Key Features Technology, Company Profiles, Demand, Growth... - February 23rd, 2020
- The Top 7 Network Security Books You Need to Read in 2020 - Solutions Review - February 23rd, 2020
- Cyber Security & Network Security Services - Internet ... - February 18th, 2020
- Google Announced US$1 Million for its Be Internet Awesome Initiative - CISO MAG - February 18th, 2020
- Internet security Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Cybersecurity Level in the Middle East: An Overview of the Cybersecurity Market State - SCOOP EMPIRE - February 18th, 2020
- Quantum internet: the next global network is already being laid - The Conversation UK - February 18th, 2020
- IC3.gov 2019 Internet Crime Report: Its All About that BEC - Security Boulevard - February 18th, 2020
- Sophos Cloud Optix breakthrough IAM visualization is here - Naked Security - February 18th, 2020
- Stay Safe, Secure And Anonymous Online with The Doe - London Post - February 18th, 2020
- Industry Insight: The CCPAs Elusive Reasonable Security Safe Harbor - JD Supra - February 18th, 2020
- WISeKey Drives Innovations in IoT Security with 23 Strategic Patents in the U.S. - GlobeNewswire - February 18th, 2020
- IT Security Consulting Services Market Size, Share, Types, Growth Strategies, Interactive Components, Key Companies Overview and Forecast Outlook by... - February 18th, 2020
- Market Size of Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product , Forecast Report 2019-2026 - Redhill Local Councillors - February 18th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Projected To Witness Vigorous Expansion By 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- 40% respondents ready to share personal details on dating apps without meeting person - The News Minute - February 18th, 2020
- How to protect your personal information online during tax season - CTV News - February 18th, 2020
- It is with a heavy heart we must inform you, once again, folks are accidentally spilling thousands of sensitive pics, records onto the internet - The... - February 18th, 2020
- Security of online voting questioned | News, Sports, Jobs - The Daily Times - February 16th, 2020
- This may be the last piece I write: prominent Xi critic has internet cut after house arrest - The Guardian - February 16th, 2020
- An Alternative to Windows 7 - Budapest Business Journal - February 16th, 2020
- North Koreas Internet Use Surges, Thwarting Sanctions and Fueling Theft - The Indian Express - February 16th, 2020
- Microsoft Patch Tuesday fixes IE zeroday and 98 other flaws - We Live Security - February 16th, 2020
- 'More guidance and regulation': Zuckerberg requests government rules on 'what discourse should be allowed' - Washington Examiner - February 16th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market: Development Factors and Investment Analysis by Leading Manufacturers 2018 2026 - TechNews.mobi - February 16th, 2020
- Our personal health history is too valuable to be harvested by the tech giants - The Guardian - February 16th, 2020
- Cyber Security Today The latest FBI Internet crime report, adware on the rise, attacks on Wi-Fi and more - IT World Canada - February 15th, 2020
- Indias proposed internet regulations can threaten privacy everywhere - The News International - February 15th, 2020
- Antivirus Is Not Enough in 2020: Here is Why - laprogressive.com - February 15th, 2020
- FBI: Cybercrime losses tripled over the last 5 years - We Live Security - February 15th, 2020
- AIoT Convergence of Artificial Intelligence with the Internet of Things - EnterpriseTalk - February 15th, 2020
- Indias proposed internet regulations could threaten privacy everywhere - The Verge - February 15th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026: Cisco Systems, Intel Corporation, IBM... - February 15th, 2020
- Romance scammers stole $475m last year. Here's how to spot them - Verdict - February 15th, 2020
- Safer Internet Day 2020 Together for a better internet - Security Boulevard - February 14th, 2020
- Internet's safe-keepers forced to postpone crucial DNSSEC root key signing ceremony no, not a hacker attack, but because they can't open a safe - The... - February 14th, 2020
- Here's how to avoid becoming a victim of a tax scam - AZ Big Media - February 14th, 2020
- Will Weak Passwords Doom the Internet of Things (IoT)? - Security Intelligence - February 14th, 2020
- Bithumb Employee Found Guilty of Security Failings that Led to Hack - Cryptonews - February 14th, 2020
- Will your vote count? Ohio working to increase election security - WHIO - February 14th, 2020
- Perimeter 81 Introduces SASE Platform This latest offer is based on a partnership with investor and - Channel Futures - February 14th, 2020
- NHS Secure Boundary the next layer of cyber protection for the NHS - Digital Health - February 14th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Segmentation along with Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies, Factors Contributing to Growth and... - February 14th, 2020
- North Koreas Internet Use Surges, Thwarting Sanctions and Fueling Theft - The New York Times - February 14th, 2020
- TechForce Aberdeen event to kick off Cyber Scotland Week - The Scotsman - February 14th, 2020
- Security Strategy: Moving Away From Tried and True - Security Boulevard - February 5th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market investigated in the latest research - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - February 5th, 2020
- What Is Log Management, and Why Is It Important? - Security Boulevard - February 5th, 2020
- Latest Released 2020 Version Of Internet Security Market With Market Data Tables, Graphs, Figures and Pie Chat - TheLoop21 - February 5th, 2020
- Booter Boss Busted By Bacon Pizza Buy - Krebs on Security - February 5th, 2020
- Yet another Windows 10 fail as new update breaks the internet - heres how to fix it - TechRadar India - February 5th, 2020
- 'Formjacking' Is the New Internet Scam We Need to Watch Out For - q985online.com - February 5th, 2020
- Kiwis think benefits of the internet outweigh the negatives - SecurityBrief New Zealand - February 5th, 2020
- GAO: DHS and Agencies Must Work to Improve Cybersecurity - HSToday - February 5th, 2020
- Government to strengthen security of internet-connected products - GOV.UK - January 31st, 2020
- DigiCert Leads Initiative to Enhance EV SSL Certificates - Security Boulevard - January 31st, 2020
- eScan Internet Security Suite - Download - January 30th, 2020
- Internet Security - January 30th, 2020
- Best malware removal software of 2020: free and paid anti-malware tools and services - TechRadar - January 30th, 2020