The internet is a wonderful place to learn and search for information, connect with friends, be entertained, and create opportunities for ourselves and others.
Yet, the virtual world is also a dangerous place.
It is filled with online threats, e.g. cyberbullying, scams/fraud, identity theft, viruses/malware, harmful/illicit content, digital piracy, sexual predators, fake news, etc.
However, we should not avoid this amazing resource out of fear of what might happen.
Instead, we should teach our kids (and ourselves) the importance of cyber-security and protecting our privacy/data.
Cyber-security is important as many things are now done online.
However, due to convenience, we may neglect our data/privacy security, and this can cost us financially, psychologically, and even physically.
Here are some useful tips to teach your kids and keep them safe online:
Educate yourself first
Stay updated with the latest news and alerts on internet safety.
Install antivirus software on your computers and smartphones and update them with the latest security patches regularly.
Discuss the dos and donts
As your kids start to use the internet, discuss what is proper online behaviour.
Highlight that the online world mirrors the real world and remind them: If you wouldnt do it face to face, dont do it online.
Many employers and university admissions offices do look at social media profiles when researching applicants to get a truer picture of that person.
It is therefore wise to showcase ones personality and character fairly through the use of social media.
Be their friend online
Know what social media sites your kids are using and connect with them on those sites.
They should be able to share comfortably with both their friends and you. This allows you to monitor their activities.
Remind them that everything online is captured forever
So they should avoid posting revealing or embarrassing pictures, and always remember to be respectful and responsible when posting comments.
Remind them that what goes online might still be found even after deleting it.
Be aware of cyberbullies
If your kids are bullied online, encourage them to ask for help from yourself, older siblings or teachers.
They do not need to handle the situation alone.
Dont share fake news
Teach them not to share contents that are hot, controversial or viral as they may be fake news.
They should always verify the information first.
Under the Anti-Fake News Act, knowingly creating and spreading fake news is a crime in Malaysia.
Create strong passwords
Help your kids create sensible passwords with a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols, of at least eight characters in length.
Never use a real name, user name, birth date or mobile number.
Ideally, they should use different passwords for each email, social media or other online accounts they have.
Be careful with personal information
Teach them not to put sensitive or personally identifiable information online or give it to strangers.
Anyone can claim to be someone else online, so they should not trust easily.
They should also avoid posting regular locations (school, after-school activities, etc) or tagging their current location, as this gives child predators ready access to their location.
Better yet, turn off their location services.
Demonstrate to them how to use antivirus software or detect suspicious phishing websites, which may steal account passwords or other confidential information (e.g. by offering free stuff or with a clone website).
Teach them that generally, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Be careful on public WiFi
As nothing is private when using public WiFi, anyone using it is vulnerable to cybercriminals viewing or stealing your information.
Teach your children that it is safer to perform sensitive transactions (e.g. online banking) on secured networks using your mobile data service.
Check your apps
Only install applications (apps) from trustworthy sources, and read user reviews and ratings before downloading.
Free apps may only be free for a limited time and will start charging after the trial period.
Consider parental controls
As parents, you have the right to impose limits on your kids online access.
You may install parental control apps to filter online content, set rules and time schedules on device usage, and block pornography and other unsuitable content.
To be safe online, equip your kid with internet literacy to face the world.
After all, we may not be there to guide them all the time.
By teaching them these guidelines, you can increase the safety and benefit of having the world at their fingertips.
Alexius Cheang is a behavioural psychologist. This article is courtesy of the Malaysian Paediatric Associations Positive Parenting programme in collaboration with expert partners. For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The information provided is for educational and communication purposes only and it should not be construed as personal medical advice. Information published in this article is not intended to replace, supplant or augment a consultation with a health professional regarding the readers own medical care. The Star does not give any warranty on accuracy, completeness, functionality, usefulness or other assurances as to the content appearing in this column. The Star disclaims all responsibility for any losses, damage to property or personal injury suffered directly or indirectly from reliance on such information.
See the rest here:
Teaching your kids to surf the internet safely - The Star Online
- IT spending on Internet connectivity, security to rise in India: Report - Business Insider India - July 6th, 2020
- VPNs are the need-of-the-hour for safe and fast connections as we work-from-home - The Hindu - July 6th, 2020
- What is network security in the cloud computing era? - TechRadar - July 6th, 2020
- Revealed: How home router manufacturers dropped the ball on security - TechHive - July 6th, 2020
- Malaysia Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Akamai Is an Overlooked Web Infrastructure Play. Its a Buy, Analyst Says. - Barron's - July 6th, 2020
- According to Latest Report on Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market to Grow with an Impressive CAGR - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Enterprise Firewall Market Overview and Regional Outlook with Research Study 2019 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- How Have I Been Pwned became the keeper of the internets biggest data breaches - TechCrunch - July 6th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Trends, Opportunities, Key Players, Growth, Analysis, Outlook & Forecasts To 2026 - Daily Research... - July 6th, 2020
- WISeKey develops WIShelter Covid-19 secured smartphone app, using digital IDs and blockchain protocols, to certify users that are not infected with... - July 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies Adding to the Safety and Security in the UK Gambling Industry - London Post - July 6th, 2020
- Voice recordings from domestic violence alerting app exposed on the internet - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- The lack of women in cybersecurity puts us all at greater risk - The Next Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cascading Security Through the Internet of Things Supply Chain - Lawfare - June 30th, 2020
- How to Build the Right Security Assessment - Security Boulevard - June 30th, 2020
- Apple may have just changed a key part of how the internet works - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Indians most concerned about identity theft - Fortune India - June 30th, 2020
- Deeper Connect Mini: Decentralized, Private and Secure Internet for the People, launching June 30th on Indiegogo. - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security: Technologies and Global Markets - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Could Donald Trump claim a national security threat to shut down the internet? - Brookings Institution - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market Strategic Insights 2020 with analysis of Leading players: Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco... - June 30th, 2020
- Global IT Security Market is accounted for xx USD million in 2019 and is expected to reach xx USD million by 2025 growing at a CAGR of xx% : Blue... - June 30th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Share, Growth, Revenue, Global Industry Analysis and Future Demand |Globalmarketers.biz - Cole of Duty - June 30th, 2020
- Surge in encrypted malware prompts warning about detection strategies - SecurityBrief Europe - June 30th, 2020
- NexTech AR to supply its video conferencing and virtual events platform to Dallas Independent School District - Proactive Investors UK - June 30th, 2020
- Dutch people are least concerned about safety, survey reveals - IamExpat in the Netherlands - June 30th, 2020
- Only 31% of Americans concerned with data security, despite 400% rise in cyberattacks - TechRepublic - June 24th, 2020
- WatchGuard Technologies Report Finds Two-Thirds of Malware is Encrypted, Invisible Without HTTPS Inspection - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- How To Turn Off Firewall In Windows And Mac - Ubergizmo - June 24th, 2020
- OTF's Work Is Vital for a Free and Open Internet - EFF - June 24th, 2020
- Microsoft acquires CyberX to bolster Azure IoT security - Internet of Things News - IoT Tech News - June 24th, 2020
- Partner Content: ESET and Spire Technology on why you need a Password Manager - PCR-online.biz - June 24th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2020 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 24th, 2020
- Google is on a mission to stop you from reusing passwords - The Verge - June 24th, 2020
- Marking the 30th Anniversary of the Internet and Cybersecurity Treaty - CircleID - June 24th, 2020
- The Cyberlaw Podcast: Using the Internet to Cause Emotional Distress is a Felony? - Lawfare - June 24th, 2020
- DDoS Protection Market 2020 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE - Cole of Duty - June 24th, 2020
- Julian Assange Extradition and the Freedom of Bitcoin Bitcoin... - Bitcoin Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- How to become a web developer? - The Tribune - June 24th, 2020
- Frost & Sullivan Report Finds BlackBerry Solutions Address 96% of the Enterprise Threat Landscape - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- EAC to evaluate testing and certification of non-voting equipment - Politico - June 24th, 2020
- Global IT Security Spending Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Check Point Software Technologies, Cisco Systems, EMC, Fortinet,... - June 24th, 2020
- OPAQ Webinar to Share Lessons Learned and Best Practices from Zero Trust Migration Project with TTX Company - Business Wire - June 24th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technology Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - NJ MMA... - June 24th, 2020
- Put Your Risk on Mute: Using PKI to Simplify Remote Workforce Security - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - June 24th, 2020
- NetNumber Expands Industry Recognized Signaling Firewall to Protect SIP Connections - GlobeNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- How to fight back against Covid-19 scams - Global Banking And Finance Review - June 24th, 2020
- What Will The Crypto Market Look Like In A Post COVID-19 Economy? | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - June 24th, 2020
- US: Congress Should Back Open Technology Fund - Human Rights Watch - June 21st, 2020
- David Pratt: Will the next global pandemic take place online? - The National - June 21st, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Industry Market Insights, Opportunity, Analysis, Market Shares & Forecast 2020 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- Facial recognition to play key role in travel reopening as biometrics industry weighs social responsibility - Biometric Update - June 21st, 2020
- 'IT Act does not protect freedom of speech' - The Sunday Guardian - June 21st, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Distributed Denial Of Service (DDoS) Protection Market 2020 Key Players A10... - June 21st, 2020
- Cyber Liability Insurance Market (USD 4.6 Billion) Will Grow At A CAGR of 11.12% During Forecast Period 2020-2025 (Impact Analysis of COVID-19) - 3rd... - June 21st, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market research report presents a thorough study on the overall market by Application Forecast To 2020 - Surfacing... - June 21st, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market 2020 SWOT Analysis & Key Business Strategies by Leading Industry Players and Forecast 2025... - June 21st, 2020
- Knoxville still quiet on ransomware attack and what's being done to fix it - Knoxville News Sentinel - June 21st, 2020
- Indias digital workforce needs secure software. Testing, not banning apps, is the answer - ThePrint - June 21st, 2020
- Bolton book can be released, but conduct 'raises grave national security concerns' - ABC News - June 21st, 2020
- Broadband Connection Disconnected: Things You Can Do To Fix It - TelecomTalk - June 21st, 2020
- Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt says there's 'no question' Huawei routed data to Beijing - CNBC - June 21st, 2020
- Dating Apps Exposed 845 GB of Explicit Photos, Chats, and More - WIRED - June 21st, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players - News by aeresearch - June 11th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Size, Development Analysis, Applications and Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 11th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of... - June 11th, 2020
- Internet Security Software Market Impact Of Covid-19 And Benchmarking. - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 11th, 2020
- Drivers is Responsible to for Increasing Internet Security Software Market Share, Forecast 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 11th, 2020
- Webroot Internet Security with Antivirus Protection Software | 3 Device | 1 Year Subscription | PC Download - The Report - June 11th, 2020
- Endpoint Security Market to Cross US$ 10,026 MN by 2026, Growing Adoption of Work from Home Services to Favor Growth: Fortune Business Insights -... - June 11th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole... - June 11th, 2020
- Yukon's Gurdeep Pandher tries to spread some joy on social media - Lindsay Advocate - June 11th, 2020
- Microsoft Windows users in UAE advised to install security updates - Khaleej Times - June 11th, 2020
- Clear guidelines for remote work will boost security and control access - TechRepublic - June 5th, 2020
- Mozilla Funds Meething to Help Fix the Internet - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- The Internet of Bodies is here. This is how it will change our lives - World Economic Forum - June 5th, 2020
- Crowdstrike CEO explains how the future of remote work and security will look - CNBC - June 5th, 2020
- Mocana Recognized as Industry Leader in Cybersecurity and the Industrial Internet of Things - GlobeNewswire - June 5th, 2020
- SC Awards Europe 2020 - CISO/CSO of the Year - SC Magazine UK - June 5th, 2020