IFSEC Global sits down with Lars Paulsson and Erik Hoffmann from audio communications expert Zenitel, to discuss why networked audio devices are becoming an integral part of the security and safety ecosystem.
No longer do security systems simply comprise a lone CCTV camera generating distorted feedback to a security guard. Instead, integrated solutions work together to ensure access control systems and surveillance cameras provide a much more well-rounded and responsive information management platform, communicating between each other and offering genuine insight into risks and potential breaches.
And increasingly it seems, network audio solutions are becoming a key part of this process. As a communication device, it can provide the final piece of the jigsaw to ensure security and safety measures are met, with devices now more interoperable with access control and surveillance platforms than ever before.
This, explains Zenitel, is why businesses need to be considering the use of audio devices to operate within their own systems. As technology continues to evolve, the company believes that audio is set to play a key role in the future of biometric systems and everyday life, with audio analytics playing a major part.
Its certainly a belief met by those in the likes of Silicon Valley, too. Worldwide shipments of smart audio devices reached nearly 100 million units in Q1 2020, while Amazons Alexa and Apples Siri are now as much household names as Dyson and Sky TV.
Why then, is an integrated audio solution so beneficial to an overall security system? Put simply, communication, answers Lars Paulsson, Executive Vice President at Zenitel. For any security team, this is vital. Any security and safety system ultimately needs three key parts: access control, video surveillance and the ability to communicate.
We now have integrations with all the major platforms in the security industry our solutions are interoperable and therefore easy to combine with VMS platforms from major vendors such as Genetec and Milestone, as well as access control systems from AMAG, LenelS2 and many others. Were committed to the open standards route, so customers are able to provide the most well-rounded system to provide the highest levels of security and safety.
And the quality in our audio systems is now excellent, so end-users no longer need to be concerned with muffled tones or poor-quality sound, which could result in miscommunication.
Cyber security remains a concern for many when adding new devices to networks. Hackers are always on the lookout for devices on internal networks that may be vulnerable to attack, often utilising backdoors in physical security devices to gain access to the entire system. Working with major customers in sectors such as healthcare and transport, Zenitel is quick to highlight its work in this sphere.
Weve been driving cyber security initiatives in our products for several years, explains Erik Hoffmann, Head of Product Management. It is crucial that installers and end-users can be confident that when integrating our audio devices onto a network, it will be robust and well protected both in the physical and cyber environments. Were a member of the for Internet Security and were one of the first to implement CIS controls into audio devices.
While its taken a little longer than its surveillance counterpart, audio devices have experienced a revolution in connectivity and integration with other systems since the move to an IP-based solution, as Zenitels Head of Product Management, Erik Hoffmann, explains.
We launched the first major IP/SIP-based products around 2006. Since then more and more devices have been able to integrate into a single system. As well as being quicker and more advanced than analogue systems, the move has enabled greater integration with partner technologies, such as video management services and access control systems.
Going forwards, were now moving on to utilising edge architecture. Edge devices are far more powerful and advanced than weve previously seen, in a cost-efficient way. This wont take away from the importance of the cloud or the local server, but instead edge solutions will leverage the strengths of computing in the cloud and at the edge bringing unprecedented levels of security, scalability and resilience.
Like many industries, COVID-19 has had an impact on the sector though Lars and Erik believe this could actually result in a greater uptake of networked audio systems. As a touchless method of communication to relay information to occupants, it provides an easy method for interaction.
Lars expands on this point: We certainly believe there will be a growing uptake of biometric and touchless devices, of which audio can form a key part of such a solution. I believe this will be because of two key developments. There is the need to interact and communicate with individuals moving in and out of spaces, and with this comes the need to provide frictionless access without physical intervention. Audio provides a solution to both challenges.
Its not just COVID, either, that is set to affect the growth in the audio market. While analytics have been a relatively standardised part of video surveillance devices for some time now, it would appear audio is now receiving investment in this field.
It took some time for users to really understand and utilise analytics in video, because the concept was relatively new to many. However, with customers now more aware of this type of technology, audio analytics is proving beneficial almost straight away. Were now working with technology partners who can provide possibilities such as voice identification, mood identification (where tone and volume of speech is assessed) and gunshot identification, explains Erik.
Speaking to Lars and Erik, it appears that networked audio devices are set to play an increasingly important role in the entire security and safety ecosystem. As Lars summarises: The ability to hear, be heard and be understood is crucial to the role of all security professionals, in all environments.
Find out more about Zenitels network audio solutions.
- Network Security: Don't Trust And Verify - IT Jungle - October 23rd, 2020
- Akamai Reveals State of Internet: Threats to Retailers - Solutions Review - October 23rd, 2020
- Verisign Reports Third Quarter 2020 Results | Business | The Daily News - Galveston County Daily News - October 23rd, 2020
- Global Internet Security Software Market Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, Threats, Trends, Applications, And Growth Forecast To (2026). -... - October 23rd, 2020
- Nokia Threat Intelligence Report warns of rising cyberattacks on internet-connected devices - GlobeNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Cybersecurity and a potential Biden White House: Past tech priorities resurrected - SC Magazine - October 23rd, 2020
- Virgin Media has an important new feature, but switching it on will cost you - Express - October 23rd, 2020
- WISeKey and OpSec Security Partnership Establishes Trust Between Brands and their Customers through Improved Customer Engagement - GlobeNewswire - October 23rd, 2020
- Internet Of Things Iot Security Market Economic Perspective And Forecast To 2027 - PRnews Leader - October 23rd, 2020
- Why cybercriminals have 'Gone Vishing' during the COVID-19 Pandemic - Bdaily - October 23rd, 2020
- Insights on the Digital Security Control Global Market to 2027 - Strategic Recommendations for New Entrants - GlobeNewswire - October 17th, 2020
- More than 25% of Cypriots concerned about internet security - Cyprus Mail - October 17th, 2020
- 5 things you can do to secure your home office without hiring an expert - We Live Security - October 17th, 2020
- Beyond Speed and Reliability: Security Is a New Differentiator - Security Boulevard - October 17th, 2020
- Nationwide and Generali Global Assistance Partner to Enhance Identity Theft Protection - Insurance News Net - October 17th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Product Market 2020 Impact of COVID-19, Future Growth Analysis and Challenges | Cisco Systems, Inc, IBM... - October 17th, 2020
- Is BlackBerry (TSX:BB) Stock a Buy on the Latest News? - The Motley Fool Canada - October 17th, 2020
- Global Internet of Things or IoT Security Market to Reach $22 Billion+ Valuation by 2027, Largely Due to Blockchain Adoption - Crowdfund Insider - October 17th, 2020
- Internet Security Market with COVID-19 Recovery Analysis 2020 | Rapid Adoption of BYOD Policy to Boost Market Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - October 8th, 2020
- Tenable and the CIS Enter Partnership to Bolster Cyber Hygiene - AiThority - October 8th, 2020
- How to Build Smart Banks that Connect Customers with Modern DX - AiThority - October 8th, 2020
- #NCSAM: Is Connected Ever Going to be Protected? - Infosecurity Magazine - October 8th, 2020
- Cyber Security Awareness Month is here! - We Live Security - October 2nd, 2020
- Internet security Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - October 2nd, 2020
- Latest Report on Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Analysis, Growth, Opportunity and Regional Insights 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 2nd, 2020
- Remarks by Henrietta Fore, UNICEF Executive Director, at Security Council meeting on universal connectivity & access to digital technology in... - October 2nd, 2020
- Lessons learned from firsthand experience on how to avoid internet fraud and other forms of cyberattacks (opinion) - Inside Higher Ed - October 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Internet Security Audit Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with Top players: Symantec, Intel Security, IBM, Cisco,... - October 2nd, 2020
- Internet Security Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top Players: HPE,... - September 30th, 2020
- The Top Internet of Things (IoT) Authentication Methods and Options - Security Boulevard - September 30th, 2020
- How Trusted Internet Connections Is Focusing Telework with TIC 3.0 - FedTech Magazine - September 30th, 2020
- Is your business looking for an extra layer of security - here's why a VPN may be the answer - TechRadar - September 30th, 2020
- A business connected to the cloud needs cloud-ready security, connectivity - Techgoondu - September 30th, 2020
- The 6 key races you haven't heard of that may help decide how we secure our elections - POLITICO - September 30th, 2020
- Get In Depth Analysis Of How Covid-19 Is Impacting The Internet Security Software Market - Unica News - September 30th, 2020
- Study finds over 4-in-10 WFH employees in SEA find it hard to switch-off after work - Backend News - September 30th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Secure Your Home Network - The Good Men Project - September 29th, 2020
- How To Make Peace With Your Internet Passwords - Forbes - September 29th, 2020
- Five Types of Cyber Security for Organizational Safety - Analytics Insight - September 29th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Competitive Research and Precise Outlook 2020 to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- IT Security Spending Market Analysis highlights the Impact of covid-19 (2020-2026) | Check Point Software Technologies, Cisco Systems, EMC, Fortinet,... - September 29th, 2020
- Schrdingers Web offers a sneak peek at the quantum internet - Science News - September 29th, 2020
- Counter-Terrorism: Raiders Of The Lost Cache - Strategy Page - September 29th, 2020
- Trending 2020: Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Analysis, Size, Trends and Forecast to 2025| Cisco Systems, Intel Corporation, IBM Corporation... - September 29th, 2020
- IoT coffee machine hacked to demand ransom - IT PRO - September 29th, 2020
- Show me who bans TikTok and I'll show you your (future) allies | TheHill - The Hill - September 27th, 2020
- Lokibot keylogger infections are growing across the internet - Komando - September 27th, 2020
- Evasive Malware Threats on the Rise Despite Decline in Overall Attacks - Infosecurity Magazine - September 27th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market size, development, key opportunity, application and forecast to 2026 | Check Point Security Software Technologies,... - September 27th, 2020
- Fears mount over Russian and Chinese hackers targeting the 2020 U.S. presidential election - CNBC - September 27th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security market to Witness Increase in Revenues by 2016-2028 - Crypto Daily - September 27th, 2020
- How to leave no trace on the internet when using a VPN? - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - September 27th, 2020
- 2020 Demand In Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market By Key Types, Regions, Countries, Top Companies Competition, Consumers, Import-Export Forecast... - September 27th, 2020
- How the Pandemic Pushed a Generation of Americans to Discover the Perks (and Risks) of Online Banking - NextAdvisor - September 27th, 2020
- IT Security-as-a-Service Market 2020 By Manufacturers, Regions, Type And Application, Forecast To 2025| Blue Coat, Cisco, IBM, Intel Security,... - September 27th, 2020
- APT groups actively target Linux-based workstations and servers - Backend News - September 27th, 2020
- Critical steps for securing cyberspace - Microsoft on the Issues - Microsoft - September 27th, 2020
- Proven ways to stay ahead of configuration drift - ITProPortal - September 27th, 2020
- Global Embedded Security For Internet Of Things Market 2020 Trends Analysis and (COVID-19) Effect Analysis | Key Players Market With COVID-19 Impact... - September 27th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technology Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19... - September 27th, 2020
- REMOTE WORKING: PROGRESS AND PERILS - Forbes Africa - September 27th, 2020
- Avoid scam 'DMV' websites | Sedona.Biz - The Internet Voice of Sedona and The Verde Valley - Sedona.biz - September 27th, 2020
- Get In Depth Analysis Of How Covid-19 Is Impacting The Internet Security Software Market - The Daily Chronicle - September 12th, 2020
- Better late than never: Zoom boosts security with 2FA - Verdict - September 12th, 2020
- Show and Tell: The Gryphon Tower Mesh Wi-Fi Security Router - Grit Daily - September 12th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Drivers, Outlook, Analysis And Forecast To 2028 -... - September 12th, 2020
- Ensuring cyber awareness in the healthcare sector - Help Net Security - September 12th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Size, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies and Forecast by 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 12th, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2027: Dataintelo - Scientect - September 12th, 2020
- Kaspersky: 37% of internet users in SEA think they won't be targeted by cybercriminals - SoyaCincau.com - September 12th, 2020
- TikTok and WeChat may raise security concerns, but Trump's knee-jerk reaction isn't the way to deal with them - NewsChannel 3-12 - KEYT - September 12th, 2020
- Helping companies prioritize their cybersecurity investments - MIT News - September 6th, 2020
- Rapid7 NICER - starting a conversation on internet security | Company Report - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - September 6th, 2020
- Kansans are getting letters saying they applied for unemployment. The problem? Some never did. - Pittsburg Morning Sun - September 6th, 2020
- Embedded Security For Internet Of Things Market 2025 Opportunities, Applications, Drivers, Limitations, Companies, Countries, & Forecast - Express... - September 6th, 2020
- Why should you use a VPN on your iPhone and Mac? - Cult of Mac - September 6th, 2020
- 'No longer safe in their classroom:' NHCS remote-learning session hacked, sexualized profanity used - Port City Daily - September 6th, 2020
- How Romania is Solving Technology and Poverty Disparities - Borgen Project - September 6th, 2020
- How government is delivering better election security - GCN.com - September 6th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market Report: Regional Data Analysis By Production, Revenue, Price And Gross Margin - Kewaskum Statesman News... - September 6th, 2020