Hiding your Internet Protocol (IP) address is not rocket science; you only need to have the right tools for the job.
In fact, millions of people today choose to hide their IP as a measure for internet security; it helps you to anonymously surf the internet reducing the risk of being targeted by cybercriminals.
Besides, you get access to geo-blocked sites and negate IP bans. Well, for whatever reason you are looking to hide your IP, there are a whole lot of different ways that you can implement to achieve internet anonymity.
Below are some of the most effective methods to hide your IP address.
Prior to that, lets try and understand the very basics of IP technology.
The Internet Protocol(IP) is the principal technology of the internet. It is tasked with defining, structuring, and disseminating info packages for point A to B.
All devices with the ability to connect to the internet have a unique IP address number. In other words, an IP address is a pathway to access the internet; you cannot access the internet without it.
Besides, just like your car registration number, the IP address is your online identifier; it shows your physical location and browsing history, among other things. So, do you know your IP address? You can simply Google, What is my IP address?.
Below are some of the easiest, efficient, and effective ways to mask your IP address. Check them out!
It is somewhat one of the most effective ways to maintain anonymity when using the internet. A VPN client works to provide you with a virtual IP address, a different one from that of your device.
The Virtual IP tends to spoof the original one. Literally, the VPN provider will assign you a different IP address, tunneling your internet traffic to the virtual IP.
Besides hiding your IP address, VPN helps encrypt internet traffic, keeping off internet spies. Some of the best VPN software in the market include ExpressVPN, Surfshark, and NordVPN.
It is also a good idea to use VPN for your business. It has a large number of additional features that are highly important for many companies.
Check the ranking of VPNs for iOS
Typically, proxies are most similar to VPNs; they both act as middlemen between your device and the public internet. Proxy technology works to provide you with a second IP address; on that is different from the real one.
In truth, VPNs can be said to be proxies; only that proxies only serve one purpose while VPN clients provide for a range of functions. Unlike VPNs, proxy services are web-based.
Practically, the proxy servers only work to deliver virtual addresses only.
They do not provide for additional layers of internet security or encrypt internet traffic data. Some of the most common proxy clients include SSL, SSH, or SOCKS proxy.
A TOR is an open-source software that allows for anonymous communication through the public network. It can be said to a decentralized network run by thousands of volunteers.
When you connect to the internet using TOR, your internet traffic is routed through a sequence of nodes; they are some sort of proxy servers. TOR internet connection is heavily encrypted.
For instance, if you access a website using a TOR, the website will only see the last server in the sequence, often referred to as an exit node. The sequence of host servers makes it practically difficult for anyone trying to trace the original IP address.
The easiest way to use TOR is to download the Tor browser. However, it is essential to note that some websites may restrict access when you use Tor as they are often associated with internet criminal activities.
You might not have noticed this, but each time you change your network, your IP address changes as well. In the event that you have IP address issues such as IP blocks, then you might consider changing your network.
For instance, you can choose to access the internet through a private or a public WI-FI network. You can also choose to create a network using your smartphones mobile data connection.
If you choose to connect to a public WI-FI hotspot, it is vital to note that they are unsafe and are often hunting ground for hackers looking to steal personal data. If you have to use one, go for a WI-FI network with a password.
Using a VPN, you can connect to public Wi-Fi safely.
Learn how businesses can
Typically, Internet Service Providers decide who gets what IP address. Conversely, if you feel that your IP address is compromised, then you should consider calling them with a request to change it. The process is relatively easy. However, do not expect it to be a static one.
Most IP addresses are dynamic; they keep on changing. Remember, IP addresses are recycled to preserve their limited number.
If you need a static one, then it might take some time and more paperwork.
This is only practical for people using a wireless router to connect to the internet. If you fall under this category, then you are most likely using a Network Address Translation (NAT) Firewall.
Typically, a NAT Firewall allows many devices to use the same public IP but unique private IP addresses.
Lets say; the public IP address acts as a mask to the private IP addresses for the various connected devices, which prevents unsolicited inbound communication with other dangerous computer networks on the internet.
Did you know unplugging your modem and reconnecting it could facilitate an IP change?
Well, this, however, does not always happen. It only works if your ISP is using dynamic IP addresses, whereby IP addresses are recycled when they are not in use.
For instance, you could have your old IP recycled for a new IP address when you reconnect your modem. The longer you leave your modem unplugged, the more likely this method will work; lets say several hours.
Hiding has proven to be an essential step towards ensuring internet security.
And while the reasons to hide ones IP address may vary from person to person, the methods are often either of the above.
They have all proven effective in helping internet users hide their internet identity or show a different IP.
Among them, I would like to recommend the use of VPN clients. It is much easy to use, safer and has additional benefits all the same.
View original post here:
Top 7 Ways to Hide Your IP Address in 2021 - Techstory
- VirnetX Receives $502.8 Million Plus Interest, Supplemental Damages, Costs and Ongoing Royalties in Final Judgment in Apple Suit - Yahoo Finance - January 16th, 2021
- Uganda says president wins 6th term as vote-rigging alleged - The Associated Press - January 16th, 2021
- Princeton partners on $30 million grant to advance internet infrastructure - Princeton University - January 16th, 2021
- Switching to Signal? Turn on these settings now for greater privacy and security - ZDNet - January 16th, 2021
- Internet Security Software Market Research Study including Growth Factors, Types and Application by regions from 2020 to 2026 - SoccerNurds - January 16th, 2021
- How and Why to Use Signal? Fully Secure Messaging App - CCM - January 16th, 2021
- Research Report and Overview on Internet Security Audit Market, 2020-2025 - Business-newsupdate.com - January 14th, 2021
- What to use? New Security Stack - Rate It - Offer Recommendations - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software - BleepingComputer - January 14th, 2021
- Internet 'blackout' in Uganda on eve of tense election - Minneapolis Star Tribune - January 14th, 2021
- Global Oil and Gas Security and Service Market (2020 to 2025) - Rise in Adoption of Internet of Things Presents Opportunities - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2021
- Experts Uncover Malware Attacks Against Colombian Government and Companies - The Hacker News - January 14th, 2021
- CES 2021 Lydsec Bao is the new generation of cloud authentication with a multi-factor solution - PRNewswire - January 14th, 2021
- Global Internet Security Market Detailed analysis of current Industry figures with forecasts growth by 2028 | Top Players; HPE, IBM, Intel, Symantec,... - January 14th, 2021
- Internet security Market Size 2021 By Analysis, Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, and Forecasts to 2027 - Jumbo News - January 14th, 2021
- JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Delta, TSMC, and Other Stocks to Watch This Week - Barron's - January 14th, 2021
- State of the Internet / Security: 2020 - A Year in Review - GovInfoSecurity.com - January 6th, 2021
- Comcast announces it is extending service to Lititz, Ephrata, and Akron areas of Lancaster County - FOX43.com - January 6th, 2021
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technology Market Executive Summary And Analysis By Top Players 2021-2027|Cisco, IBM, Infineon - Farming Sector - January 6th, 2021
- Economic Impact: India lost $2.8 bn in 2020 to Internet shutdowns; over double of 20 others - The Indian Express - January 6th, 2021
- Security must be in your firms DNA from the get-go - Daily Business - January 6th, 2021
- New leads suggest CIA spied on Assange to secure his extradition to the US - EL PAS in English - January 6th, 2021
- Five Common Excuses for Lack of Firmware Security - Infosecurity Magazine - January 6th, 2021
- TalkTalk Discount 145Mbps G.fast Ultrafast Broadband to 14 - ISPreview.co.uk - January 6th, 2021
- Internet Security Market Classification, Opportunities, Types, Applications, Status and Forecast to 2026 | HPE, IBM, Intel, Symantec - BIZNEWS - January 6th, 2021
- Automation for Better or Worse in 2021 - Infosecurity Magazine - January 2nd, 2021
- SolarWinds Attack: 'This Hit the Security Community Hard' - BankInfoSecurity.com - December 31st, 2020
- Internet of Medical Things: Combatting Connected Health Security Threats - IoT For All - December 31st, 2020
- Stay Safe Online: What You Need To Know About Digital Distancing - MakeUseOf - December 31st, 2020
- Local Governments and States of the United States Solar Winds | Now - DodoFinance - December 31st, 2020
- Importance of AWS Identity and Access Management - Enterprise Security Mag - December 31st, 2020
- Internet of Things Security Market increasing demand with Industry Professionals: Check Point Security Software Technologies, Cisco Systems -... - December 31st, 2020
- Improve Your Internet Speed in 2021 With These Gadgets On Sale - ExtremeTech - December 31st, 2020
- SOC as a Service market on the up, driven by greater focus on security - SecurityBrief Asia - December 31st, 2020
- How COVID-19 Tilted the Scale in Favor of VPNs - Infosecurity Magazine - December 31st, 2020
- Internet security Market 2020: COVID19 Impact on Industry Growth, Trends, Top Manufacturer, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - The Monitor - December 31st, 2020
- Russia got access to the files of its enemies in the FireEye hack - Business Insider - Business Insider - December 11th, 2020
- You only have this weekend to get 70% off the world's best antivirus software - Techradar - December 11th, 2020
- Kazakhstan ramps up control of the internet ahead of elections - Coda Story - December 11th, 2020
- Ransomware attacks on the rise during pandemic - WRBL - December 11th, 2020
- Cyberconflict: How it can reach beyond government systems, and how to protect your business - TechRepublic - December 11th, 2020
- Supt. Hoffman and Cox Communications announce temporary increase in internet speeds for low-income families - Arizona Education News Service - December 11th, 2020
- ThreatConnect Risk Quantifier 5.0: Continuing innovation in the field of cyber risk quantification - Help Net Security - December 11th, 2020
- These Career Paths Had the Most Freelance Listings at FlexJobs Since March - Small Business Trends - December 11th, 2020
- Cybersecurity wars and the companies combating incursions - Finfeed - December 11th, 2020
- Top Andriod Security Apps Of 2020 - Mfidie.com - December 11th, 2020
- Here's why the internet crashes thousands of times a year - RTE.ie - December 11th, 2020
- AV-Comparatives tested 15 Advanced Threat Protection IT Security Products - PRNewswire - December 9th, 2020
- Massachusetts Nonprofit Tech Goes Home and NETSCOUT Team Up to Expand Digital Access in Greater Boston Community - Business Wire - December 9th, 2020
- HTLS 2020: Assessing risks and countering security threats in the new era - Hindustan Times - December 9th, 2020
- Calix Partners With Arlo, a Leading Internet-Connected Camera Brand, Expanding the CSP's Ability to Offer the Ultimate Home Experience With the... - December 9th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Choose the Right Home Security System - Security Insider Access Online - Security Insider Access Online - December 9th, 2020
- How Easy Is It to Hack a Smartphone on an Open Network? - MakeUseOf - December 9th, 2020
- The Top 19 Internet of Things(IoT) Security Solutions - Security Boulevard - December 8th, 2020
- Minim to keep its name in merger with Boston tech company - The Union Leader - December 8th, 2020
- Comcast extends COVID support with hotspots and free Internet for new customers - Vermont Biz - December 8th, 2020
- The most important internet issue you've never heard of | TheHill - The Hill - December 8th, 2020
- Get the worlds most trusted Internet security software today with over $100 off - TechRadar - December 6th, 2020
- In the WeChat Case, the U.S. Government Doesn't Care If It Breaks the Internet - EFF - December 6th, 2020
- Internet Security Market Classification, Opportunities, Types, Applications, Status and Forecast to 2025 | HPE, IBM, Intel, Symantec - Murphy's Hockey... - December 6th, 2020
- Consumers would like to view internet connectivity as a trusted utility - Help Net Security - December 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 and Cybersecurity: 'Catastrophic Attack on Our Technology Systems' - Education Week - December 6th, 2020
- Internet Security Market Growth Analysis, Share, Demand by Regions, Types and Analysis of Key Players- Research Forecasts to 2026 - Canaan Mountain... - December 6th, 2020
- Internet Security Hardware Market Size, Drivers, Growth Opportunities, Economical Landscape, Trends and Forecast 2024 - The Haitian-Caribbean News... - December 6th, 2020
- DOSarrest Unleashes new version of its Simulated DDoS Attack platform - GlobeNewswire - December 6th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period :HPE, IBM, Intel, Symantec, AlienVault - Murphy's Hockey Law - December 6th, 2020
- Internet Security Market Analysis and In-depth Research on Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts 2026 - Cheshire Media - December 6th, 2020
- Eli Lily CISO on COVID vaccine suppliers: 'My biggest concern is their being aware they are a target' - SC Magazine - December 6th, 2020
- The Internets Most Notorious Botnet Has an Alarming New Trick - WIRED - December 6th, 2020
- Global Internet Security Market: Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2026. - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 6th, 2020
- Two Tech Industry Titans Join Salient Systems Board of Directors - Business Wire - December 6th, 2020
- Cyber security and the Internet of Things - Lexology - November 16th, 2020
- Save over $6,400 off this Complete InfoSec & Business Continuity Bundle - Neowin - November 16th, 2020
- Official Government Cybersecurity Guidance Offers Six Focus Areas for Banks of All Sizes - Lexology - November 16th, 2020
- Internet Security Audit Market is Expected to Exhibit an Upward Growth Trend Across Widespread Verticals | Affluence - The Think Curiouser - November 16th, 2020
- Internet Of Things Security Market 2020: Global Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Size, Revenue and Forecast up to 2020 2026 - The Daily... - November 16th, 2020
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technology Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2027 -... - November 16th, 2020
- 6 security shortcomings that COVID-19 exposed - CSO Online - November 16th, 2020
- iboss Named Finalist for Best Network Security Solution in the 2020 ASTORS Homeland Security Awards - PR Web - November 16th, 2020
- Microsoft: Move Away From Phone-based Multi-factor Authentication - TechDecisions - November 16th, 2020
- Global Cable Operator Markets, 2020-2025 by Technology, Residential Services (Wireless, Internet, Entertainment, Security, Home Automation, and IoT... - November 16th, 2020