Hackers are targeting unpatched vulnerabilities in SAP applications, according to areport issued bySAP and cyber threat research company Onapsis.
The report detailed more than 300 successful exploitations of critical vulnerabilities previously patched by SAP through 1,500 attack attempts between June 2020 and March 2021.
It also highlighted that the time window for defenders to act was significantly smaller than previously thought, with examples of SAP vulnerabilities being weaponised in less than 72 hours after the release of patches and new unprotected SAP applications provisioned in cloud (IaaS) environments being discovered and compromised in less than three hours.
The report noted that 18 of the worlds 20 major vaccine producers run their production on SAP, 19 of 28 Nato countries run SAP, and 77% of the worlds transaction revenue touches an SAP system.
A spokesperson for Onapsis said this was the first time SAP had issued an official pressrelease about cyber threats affecting its customers. Onapsis is a security and compliance monitoring software company as well as a security research firm.
The release said both companies had worked in close partnership withtheUS Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) and Germanys Federal Cybersecurity Authority (BSI), advising organisations to take immediate action to apply long-available SAP patches and secure configurations, and perform compromise assessments on critical environments.
The two declared themselves unaware of known customer breaches directly related to this research. The report also did not describe any new vulnerabilities in SAP cloud software as a service or SAPs own corporate IT infrastructure. Both companies, however, noted that many organisations still had not applied relevant mitigations that have long been provided by SAP.
Were releasing the research Onapsis has shared with SAP as part of our commitment to helping our customers ensure their mission-critical applications are protected Tim McKnight, SAP
Were releasing the research Onapsis has shared with SAP as part of our commitment to helping our customers ensure their mission-critical applications are protected, saidTim McKnight, chief security officer at SAP. This includes applying available patches, thoroughly reviewing the security configuration of theirSAPenvironmentsand proactively assessing them for signs of compromise.
Onapsis CEO and co-founderMariano Nunez said the critical findings noted in its report described attacks on vulnerabilities for which patches and secure configuration guidelines had been available for months or even years.
Unfortunately, too many organisations still operate with a major governance gap in terms of the cyber security and compliance of their mission-critical applications, allowing external and internal threat actors to access, exfiltrate and gain full control of their most sensitive and regulated information and processes, he said. Companies that have not prioritised rapid mitigation for these known risks should consider their systems compromised and take immediate and appropriate action.
In the reports foreword, Nunez said: The evidence captured in this report clearly shows that threat actors have the motivation, means and expertise to identify and exploit unprotected mission-critical SAP applications, and are actively doing so. They are directly targeting these applications, including, but not limited to, enterprise resource planning (ERP), supply chain management (SCM), human capital management (HCM), product lifecycle management (PLM), customer relationship management (CRM) and others.
Business applications have been known for some time to be the soft underbelly of many corporate organisations, beyond perimeter security. Nunez, in the foreword, also said: Cloud and internet-exposed mission-critical applications that help foster new processes and business opportunities also increase the attack surface that cyber actors are now targeting.
The release stated that none of the vulnerabilities were present in cloud solutions maintained by SAP.
The DHS CISA has also issued an alert about the potential targeting of critical SAP applications.
Go here to see the original:
Unpatched SAP applications are target-rich ground for hackers - ComputerWeekly.com
- Internet Security Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Growth, and Key Companies Analysis- HPE, IBM, Intel,... - April 8th, 2021
- Utah is the 2nd State to Create a Safe Harbor for Companies Facing Data Breach Litigation - Lexology - April 8th, 2021
- Verizon Mobile Security Index: COVID-19 unearths new cyber threats for businesses - Verizon Communications - April 6th, 2021
- Preparing cyber professionals for the real world - ACS - April 6th, 2021
- Upgrade your digital security and enjoy a cleaner internet experience with this plug-and-play filter | TheHill - The Hill - April 6th, 2021
- How the quick shift to the cloud has led to more security risks - TechRepublic - April 6th, 2021
- Airlock Digital Further Improves its Allowlisting Solution - Enterprise Security Mag - April 6th, 2021
- New WEF Principles for Cybersecurity Board Governance Address Expansion, Organizational Scope of Cyber Risk - CPO Magazine - April 6th, 2021
- Dotlines CTO Eftekhar builds the first-ever DIY productivity & security solution - Hindustan Times - April 6th, 2021
- Security-as-a-Service Market is poised to surge at a CAGR of over 18% through 2031 - Yahoo Finance - April 6th, 2021
- WatchGuard uncovers top cyber threat trends of Q4 2020 - SecurityBrief New Zealand - April 6th, 2021
- PKI: Securing a variety of use cases in today's digital organizations - SecurityInfoWatch - April 6th, 2021
- What's next for encryption if the RSA algorithm is broken? - CSO Online - April 6th, 2021
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) Security Market 2020 Industry Insights and Major Players are Cisco Systems, Kaspersky Lab, Intel Corporation, Symantec... - April 6th, 2021
- North Korea continues targeting security researchers. Holiday Bear gained access to DHS emails. Charming Kitten is phishing for medical professionals.... - April 6th, 2021
- Tackle security threats before they arise with AT&T ActiveArmor - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - April 6th, 2021
- Fraud warnings. Ransomware and the pressure to pay. MobiKwik update. - The CyberWire - April 6th, 2021
- How the Internet of Medical Things (IoMT) Helps Combat Connected Health Security Threats? - CIO Applications - April 6th, 2021
- The State of Endpoint Threats and Internet Security in 2021 - TechDecisions - March 31st, 2021
- Worldwide Internet of Things (IoT) Security Industry to 2025 - Key Drivers, Challenges and Trends - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Glonal Internet Security Audit Market 2021 Industry Outlook, Research, Key Trends and Forecast to 2026 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 31st, 2021
- State of the Internet / Security: Adapting to the Unpredictable - BankInfoSecurity.com - March 31st, 2021
- WatchGuard reports the ups and downs of malware - iTWire - March 31st, 2021
- How did the cyber attack on Nine and Parliament House happen? - ABC News - March 31st, 2021
- Internet Security Software Industry Insight report 2021-2026 Covering Prime Factors and Competitive Outlook by Key Players SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 31st, 2021
- Meet the 2021 SC Awards judges | SC Media - SC Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Everything You Need to Know About Broken Authentication - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - March 31st, 2021
- Internet Security Software Market Analysis Based on Development Strategy, Industry Statistics, and Future Prospects SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 31st, 2021
- U.S. conducted more than two dozen operations to thwart foreign cyberattacks before 2020 election - SecurityInfoWatch - March 31st, 2021
- SIS: Covid-19 could lead to greater terror threat - Newsroom - March 31st, 2021
- Colt runs further with IBM to accelerate adoption of edge computing - ComputerWeekly.com - March 31st, 2021
- Global Internet Security Market Report 2020-2024: Market is Poised to Grow by $20.41 Billion - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - March 21st, 2021
- Privacy vs Anonymity vs Security: Why They Don't All Mean the Same Thing - MUO - MakeUseOf - March 21st, 2021
- Hire and Train a Cyber Incident Response Team in Healthcare - HealthTech Magazine - March 21st, 2021
- Recent Developmens in Internet Security Software Market with Emerging Technologies, Business Opportunity and Industry Forecast to 2026 Jumbo News -... - March 21st, 2021
- Cyber security gets recognized The Merciad - The Merciad - March 18th, 2021
- The Internet of Things Is Everywhere. Are You Secure? - Security Boulevard - March 18th, 2021
- International Policy Review Puts Cyber at the centre of the UK's Security - GOV.UK - March 18th, 2021
- Where Will Datasea Inc (DTSS) Stock Go Next After It Has Risen 3.97% in a Week? - InvestorsObserver - March 18th, 2021
- How to Find a Network Security Key in the Devices You Love - G2 - March 18th, 2021
- Canada's big carriers, ISPs turn thumbs down on proposed mandatory botnet-fighting regime - IT World Canada - March 18th, 2021
- Global Biohacking Market 2020-2025: COVID-19 Pandemic has Led to a Surge in Market Growth for the Pharma Industries Engaged in Biohacking -... - March 18th, 2021
- Internet Security Hardware Market Size 2021: Production, Revenue, Price Trend By Types & Market Analysis By Application and Forecast 20212027|... - March 18th, 2021
- How Network Technology Shifts Are Changing the Way Things Are Done - Channel Futures - March 18th, 2021
- 5 Malware Removal Tools That Keep You Safe - G2 - March 18th, 2021
- What Is Internet Security? | McAfee - March 10th, 2021
- Automotive Cyber Security Market is anticipated to exhibit a CAGR of close to 8% over the next ten years - Yahoo Finance - March 10th, 2021
- Microsoft's big email hack: What happened, who did it, and why it matters - CNBC - March 10th, 2021
- Can we keep hackers from shorting the grid? - The Indian Express - March 10th, 2021
- Over 6,700 VMware Servers With Remote Code Execution Security Bug Exposed to the Internet - CPO Magazine - March 10th, 2021
- A discussion on the security of the United States - The American Legion - March 10th, 2021
- Experts warn of growing number of COVID-19 scams preying on pandemic fears and vaccine shortages - National Post - March 10th, 2021
- Cities, towns warned of potential server infiltration - WWLP.com - March 10th, 2021
- John McAfee, software creator with Alabama ties, charged with cheating investors out of $13 million - AL.com - March 10th, 2021
- Tech executives testify in Solorigate hearing. Accellion breach updates. Silver Sparrow targets Macs. - The CyberWire - February 28th, 2021
- IRS Tax Identity Theft and Fraud Resources - The CPA Journal - February 28th, 2021
- $110 Billion Worldwide Internet Security Global Market to 2027 - Impact of COVID-19 on the Market - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 22nd, 2021
- 6 Security Methods to Protect You and Your Customers - Security Boulevard - February 22nd, 2021
- Railways stung by breaches in IT applications during pandemic - The Hindu - February 22nd, 2021
- A Trippy Visualization Charts the Internet's Growth Since 1997 - WIRED - February 22nd, 2021
- Datasea Inc (DTSS) Stock: What Does the Chart Say Monday? - InvestorsObserver - February 22nd, 2021
- Connected Medical Devices Security Market 2021 to Witness Lucrative Growth in Coming Years with Top Key Players GE Healthcare, Cisco Systems, CA... - February 22nd, 2021
- Comprehensvie Report on: Internet Security Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis of Top Players and Forecasts The Bisouv Network... - February 22nd, 2021
- NCSC cyber defence scheme blocked thousands of scams in 2019 - ComputerWeekly.com - February 22nd, 2021
- Panel: 90% of cyber attacks are occasioned by human error, and they're on the rise - NJBIZ - February 22nd, 2021
- Growth Opportunities of IIoT in Small and Medium Scale Enterprises, 2020 Report - Data Communications and Connectivity Between Devices Encouraging... - February 22nd, 2021
- Internet Security Software Market: Find Out Essential Strategies to expand The Business and Also Check Working in 2021-2028 KSU | The Sentinel... - February 14th, 2021
- Akamai Realigns Organization Around Market-leading Internet Security and Edge Technology Solutions - CXOToday.com - February 14th, 2021
- New UK Cyber Security Council to be official governing body on training and standards - GOV.UK - February 14th, 2021
- The greatest security threat of the post-truth age - BBC News - February 14th, 2021
- 80% of medtech firms suffered a cyber attack in the past five years - IT PRO - February 14th, 2021
- Internet Security Software Market is Thriving Worldwide with Surprising Transition During 2021-2026 Atlantic Financial Management - Atlantic... - February 14th, 2021
- Evaluation of Internet Security Market 2021-2026: Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategy The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - February 14th, 2021
- Internet Security Software Market Experiences a Noticeable Growth with Key Dynamics at High CAGR value NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - February 14th, 2021
- Cloud Security Alliance Announced Internet of Things (IoT) Security Controls Framework Version 2 - ARC Viewpoints - January 31st, 2021
- Internet Security Software Market is Rapidly Growing with Huge Application Scope & Opportunities by 2021-2028 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU... - January 31st, 2021
- Verizon offers new Complete Business Bundle to aid small business recovery - Verizon News - January 31st, 2021
- Information Security: At the onset, set the philosophy and strategy right, says N. Raman, Group GM CISO, ONGC - Express Computer - January 31st, 2021
- Mozilla: Racism, misinformation, anti-worker policies are undermining the Internet - ZDNet - January 31st, 2021
- Shipping needs to raise its cyber game. - Lloyd's Register - January 31st, 2021