A Scoville Heat Scale For Emerging Technologies in 2021
A couple of years back I wrote an article in FORBES called a A Scoville Heat Scale For Measuring Cybersecurity. The Scoville Scale is a measurement chart used to rate the heat of peppers or other spicy food. For that article, I devised my own Scoville Scale-like heat characterizations of the cyber threats and rated the heat on the corresponding cyber security impact.
As we enter a new decade of transformation, I am applying that same Scoville scale to the topic of emerging technologies. It could be surmised that all these emerging technologies are already hot on a heat scale as they are already facilitating exponential changes in our society. True but some areas of emerging tech are further along than others in how it will be impacting our lives in the coming year.
Medicine doctor and robotics research and analysis, Scientist diagnose checking coronavirus or ... [+] covid-19 testing result with modern virtual screen in laboratory, Medical technology and inhibition of disease outbreaks.
I will start my measurement activities at the hottest emerging tech measured on Scoville heat scale. Health and medical technologies are really a diverse area of tech that has been impacted by Covid19, especially in research, development and prototyping. Healthcare technologies include everything from biotechnology, nano deliveries of therapeutics, drug discovery, telemedicine (Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality), genomics, cybernetics, bionics, wearables, robotics, and the internet of medical things. All of these component technologies are now being fused with new capabilities in machine learning/artificial intelligence algorithms for better diagnosis and treatment of patients.
Heat Scale Rating: Trinidad Scorpion Pepper. Covid19 has pushed us to explore and bring to market new heath related technologies. We are on the way to smarter health and medical care and this technology area is both multidimensional and very promising.
Artificial Intelligence & Machine learning (AI/ML):
Conceptual background of Artificial intelligence , humans and cyber-business on programming ... [+] technology element ,3d illustration
The cognitive technologies AI & ML also have quite a hot measurement on the Scoville pepper scale. AI & ML are not necessarily new innovations, but they are ones that still have yet to reach full potential. In 2020, both AI & ML started to flourish and it will continue to do so throughout 2021. At its core, AI & ML are really about data integration, quality (image definition) and collection and processing of that data that allows for meaningful analytics. Applications for AI are increasing in variety and capability (especially automation)and are now being applied to almost every industry vertical, including finance, healthcare, energy, transportation, and cybersecurity. Most intriguing, but only in the earliest stages is AL/ML neural human augmentation. Neuromorphic technologies, and human/computer interface will extend our human brain capacities, memories and capabilities. Please see my recent FORBES article for a more in-depth analysis on the merging of human and machine:
Heat Scale Rating: Chocolate Haberno. AI & ML are certainly making significant impact to anything and everything tech related. Its very hot but will get hotter as we continue to aim higher for sentient capabilities in our machines. Of course that capability may turn into a double edged sword and we may end up having regrets in the not so distant future.
The Internet of Things (IoT):
Smart city and communication network concept. 5G. LPWA (Low Power Wide Area). Wireless ... [+] communication.
IoT refers to the general idea of things that are readable, recognizable, locatable, addressable, and/or controllable via the Internet. Essentially this connotes physical objects communicating with each other via sensors. The IoT networks include everything from edge computing devices, to home appliances, from wearable technology, to cars. In essence, IoT represents the melding of the physical world and the digital world. According to Gartner, there are nearly 26 billion networked devices currently on the Internet of Things in 2020, That actually may be a conservative estimate as more and more people are getting connected to the internet in a remote work oriented world. IoT is being boosted by edge computing combined with next gen microchips, and lower costs of manufacturing sensors.
Heat Scale Rating: Scotch Bonnet. IoT is still a work in progress, it is growing rapidly in size, and faces a myriad of regulatory and cybersecurity challenges. Eventually it will be the backbone of smart cities. The connectivity and operational expansion of IoT infrastructures and devices will be integral to the conduct of many business and personal activities in the near future.In 2021 the IoT roll out will continue.
5G (5th generation) communication technology concept. Smart city. Telecommunication.
In 2020 advanced 5G and wireless networks have started to bring benefits, including faster speeds, higher traffic capacities, lower latency, and increased reliability to consumers and businesses. As it grows, 5G will impact commercial verticals such as retail, health, and financial by enabling processing, communications, and analytics in real time. Compared to the last generation of 4G networks, 5G is estimated to have the capability to run 100 times faster, up to 10 gigabits per second making quick downloads of information and streaming of large bandwidth content a breeze. Although 5G is in the initial stages of deployment, connectivity is already exponentially expanding. The industry trade group 5G Americas cited an Omdia report that counted more than 17.7 million 5G connections at the end of last year, including a 329 percent surge during the final three months of 2019. Omdia is also predicting 91 million 5G connections by the end of 2020. In 20121, the 5G roll out will continue on a larger scale.
Heat Scale Rating: Tabasco Pepper. 5G is evolving but still only has limited deployments. Many compliance and security issues are still being worked out. No doubt that in the next few years as 5G is implemented and upgraded, the Scoville pepper rating will become much hotter.
Abstract science, hands holding atomic particle, nuclear energy imagery and network connection on ... [+] dark background.
Quantum Computing like AI & ML, has already arrived. IBM, Google, Intel, Honeywell, D-Wave, and several others are all in various stages of developing quantum computers. It is also a U.S. government priority. Recently, the Department of Energy announced the investment of over $1 billion for five quantum information science centers. Quantum computing works by harnessing the special properties of atoms and subatomic particles. Physicists are designing quantum computers that can calculate at amazing speeds and that would enable a whole new type of cryptography. It is predicted that quantum computers will be capable of solving certain types of problems up to 100 million times faster than conventional systems. As we get closer to a fully operational quantum computer, a new world of smart computing beckons.
Heat Scale Rating: Serrano Pepper. Quantum science is a new frontier and the physics can be complicated. Good progress is being made, especially on quantum encryption, but a fully operational quantum computer is still a few years away from fruition.
Big Data: Real-time Analytics and Predictive Analytics:
young asian woman uses digital tablet on virtual visual screen at night
Big Data: Real-time Analytics and Predictive Analytics flourishes in the world of software algorithms combined with evolving computing firmware and hardware. Data is the new gold but much more plentiful. According to Eric Schmidt , former CEO of Google, we now produce more data every other day than we did from the inception of early civilization until the year 2003 combined. It is estimated that the amount of data stored in the world's computer systems is doubling every two years, Therefore, the challenges of organizing, processing, managing, and analyzing data have become more important than ever. Emerging big data analytics tools are helping collapse information gaps and giving businesses and governments the tools they need to uncover trends, demographics, and preferences, and solutions to a wide variety of problem sets in many industries.
Heat Scale Rating: Thai Pepper. Solid heat but much room for more. Big data analytics ultimately will rely on the fusion of other technologies such as AL/MI and 5G. Fusion of emerging tech will be a growing factor in most future development and use cases. For a deeper dive, please see my FORBES article: The New Techno-Fusion: The Merging Of Technologies Impacting Our Future
Other Tech Trends:
Abstract pixelated digital world map silhouette in cold blue colors, with infographic icons, line ... [+] graph and year labels. Horizontal focused on the year 2021.
There are really too many emerging technologies to match with the heat peppers on the Scoville Heat Scale. I have only touched upon a few of them. Others include materials science (including self-assembling materials), enabling nanotechnologies, 3D Printing (photovoltaics and printed electronics), wearables (flexible electronics). The world of augmented and virtual reality is also exciting and paradigm changing. And, like 5G cloud computing is a vital network backbone for increased productivity and security moving and storing data and applications over the internet from remote servers. I would be remiss if I did not add cybersecurity as the all encompassing blanket for emerging technologies. Cybersecurity is a critical component for most tech, whether it be Health Technologies, IoT, 5G, AL/ML, Quantum, and Big Data that will allow for information assurance, privacy, and resilience. No matter how you view it 2021 will be a hot year for emerging tech and hopefully a safer, happier and more prosperous one for all.
A great idea changes the idea - today and tomorrow - with chalk on blackboard
About the author:
Chuck Brooks, President of Brooks Consulting International, is a globally recognized thought leader and evangelist for Cybersecurity and Emerging Technologies. LinkedIn named Chuck as one of The Top 5 Tech Experts to Follow on LinkedIn. Chuck was named as a 2020 top leader and influencer in Whos Who in Cybersecurity by Onalytica. He was named by Thompson Reuters as a Top 50 Global Influencer in Risk, Compliance, and by IFSEC as the #2 Global Cybersecurity Influencer. He was named by The Potomac Officers Club and Executive Mosaic and GovCon as at One of The Top Five Executives to Watch in GovCon Cybersecurity. Chuck is a two-time Presidential appointee who was an original member of the Department of Homeland Security. Chuck has been a featured speaker at numerous conferences and events including presenting before the G20 country meeting on energy cybersecurity.
Chuck is on the Faculty of Georgetown University where he teaches in the Graduate Applied Intelligence and Cybersecurity Programs. He is a contributor to FORBES, a Cybersecurity Expert for The Network at the Washington Post, Visiting Editor at Homeland Security Today, He has also been featured speaker, author on technology and cybersecurity topics by IBM, AT&T, Microsoft, General Dynamics, Xerox, Checkpoint, Cylance, and many others.
Chuck Brooks LinkedIn Profile:
Chuck Brooks on Twitter: @ChuckDBrooks
- How a quantum computer could break 2048-bit RSA encryption ... - December 3rd, 2021
- Atos confirms role as global leader in quantum hybridization technologies at its 8th Quantum Advisory Board - Yahoo Finance - December 3rd, 2021
- Breakthroughs in quantum computing drive higher processing power - Digital Nation - November 25th, 2021
- US blocks export of quantum computing tech to Chinese organizations - CNET - November 25th, 2021
- Why Blockchain isnt as secure as you think - Evening Standard - November 25th, 2021
- Tech pioneers to headline Princeton conference on innovation and entrepreneurship - Princeton University - November 25th, 2021
- Quantum Turing machine - Wikipedia - November 11th, 2021
- Is Quantum Computing the Future of AI? - Datanami - November 11th, 2021
- Multiverse Computing Partners with IonQ to Bring Quantum Computing to Global Finance - HPCwire - November 11th, 2021
- Leading Technology Executive Max Schireson Joins Quantum Machines' Board of Directors - HPCwire - November 11th, 2021
- Andrew Chi-Chih Yao receives the 2021 Kyoto Prize in Advanced Technology: Commemorative Lecture on his wonderful journey in computer science to be... - November 11th, 2021
- Clever Combination of Quantum Physics and Molecular Biology - SciTechDaily - November 11th, 2021
- QuTech creates a time crystal - Innovation Origins - November 6th, 2021
- Grover's algorithm - Wikipedia - November 1st, 2021
- Quantum Engineering | Electrical and Computer Engineering - November 1st, 2021
- First Photonic Quantum Computer on the Cloud - IEEE Spectrum - November 1st, 2021
- Quantum Computer Maker Rigetti to Go Public via $1.5 ... - November 1st, 2021
- Building a large-scale quantum computer is a huge challenge. Will we ever get there? - ZDNet - November 1st, 2021
- Two UCSB Scientists Receive Award to Partner With Ciscos New Quantum Research Team - Noozhawk - November 1st, 2021
- Researchers show new strategy for detecting non-conformist particles called anyons - Brown University - November 1st, 2021
- IonQ to Report Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results on November 15, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - November 1st, 2021
- UCSB and Cisco Systems Collaboration Aims to Push the Boundaries of Quantum Technologies - AZoQuantum - November 1st, 2021
- 'Quantum computer algorithms are linear algebra, probabilities. This is not something that we do a good job of teaching our kids' - The Register - October 2nd, 2021
- Quantum computer company IonQ makes Wall Street debut - Financial Times - October 2nd, 2021
- Fujitsu and Osaka University Deepen Collaborative Research and Development for Fault-Tolerant Quantum Computers - HPCwire - October 2nd, 2021
- Fermilab on the trail for a new building block of matter and quantum computing power - Medill Reports Chicago - Medill Reports: Chicago - October 2nd, 2021
- A Boulder Company Is Leading the Next Technology Revolution - 5280 - 5280 | The Denver Magazine - October 2nd, 2021
- Judith Olson, Senior Physicist at ColdQuanta, Named Next Generation Leader of the Year at Women in IT Awards - HPCwire - October 2nd, 2021
- Quantum Computing in Manufacturing Market Still Has Room To Grow: International Business Machines, D-Wave Systems, Microsoft - Digital Journal - October 2nd, 2021
- The coevolution of particle physics and computing - Symmetry magazine - September 30th, 2021
- The Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) Takeover: IoT and Quantum-Resistant Blockchains Are Setting the Trend - FinanceFeeds - September 30th, 2021
- $5M NSF Grant to Fund Research on Quantum Internet Foundations - Maryland Today - September 19th, 2021
- 3 Quantum Computing Stocks to Buy for Their Promising Healthcare Potential - InvestorPlace - September 19th, 2021
- DoD Buys Two New Supercomputers That Rank Among Its Most Powerful Ever - Breaking Defense - September 19th, 2021
- College Park's IonQ and the University of Maryland are teaming up to open a $20M quantum lab - Technical.ly DC - September 15th, 2021
- Where the laws of matter break down, a quantum discovery crops up - UPJ Athletics - September 15th, 2021
- Small, diamond-based quantum computers could be in our hands within five years - Cosmos Magazine - August 26th, 2021
- IBM partners with the University of Tokyo on quantum computer - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 26th, 2021
- A Simple Crystal Could Finally Give Us Large-Scale Quantum Computing, Scientists Say - ScienceAlert - August 16th, 2021
- IBM Partnering with University of Tokyo on Quantum Computer - Datamation - August 16th, 2021
- 40 years ago the first IBM PC was presented, that's how it was and what it knew how to do - Tech Gaming Report - August 14th, 2021
- The week in science news: Olympic Bat, controlled qubits, and speeding metal stars - TechRadar - August 14th, 2021
- Quantum information and quantum field theory: Study found a new connection between them - Tech Explorist - August 14th, 2021
- Global AI Chipsets for Wireless Networks and Devices, Cloud and Next Generation Computing, IoT, and Big Data Analytics to 2026 -... - August 14th, 2021
- What is quantum computing? Everything you need to know about the strange world of quantum computers - ZDNet - July 29th, 2021
- Is Bitcoin (BTC) Safe from Grover's Algorithm? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2021
- Will the NSA Finally Build Its Superconducting Spy Computer? - IEEE Spectrum - July 29th, 2021
- IBM's newest quantum computer is now up-and-running: Here's what it's going to be used for - ZDNet - July 27th, 2021
- URI to host international experts for conference on future of quantum computing - URI Today - July 27th, 2021
- Research by University of Surrey and Arqit reveals Quantum Threat to Digital Assets - Business Wire - July 27th, 2021
- A Roadmap On The Geopolitical Impact Of Emerging Technologies By Chuck Brooks And Dr. David Bray - Forbes - July 27th, 2021
- IBM and CERN on quantum computing to track the elusive Higgs boson - Tech News Inc - July 27th, 2021
- The Convergence of Communication and Computation with Dr. Vida Ilderem - RCR Wireless News - July 27th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Market is anticipated to surge at a CAGR of 33.7% over the next ten years - PRNewswire - July 21st, 2021
- Quantum Computing for the Future Grid - Transmission & Distribution World - July 21st, 2021
- Red Hat embraces quantum supremacy as it looks to the future - SiliconANGLE News - July 21st, 2021
- Quantum Computing Is Coming. What Can It Do? - Harvard Business Review - July 16th, 2021
- Rigetti Computing Partners with Riverlane, Astex Pharmaceuticals on Quantum Computing for Drug Discovery - HPCwire - July 16th, 2021
- Quantware Launches the World's First Commercially Available Superconducting Quantum Processors, Accelerating the Advent of the Quantum Computer. -... - July 16th, 2021
- The Future of Data Encryption: What You Need to Know Now - FedTech Magazine - July 16th, 2021
- Quantum computing: this is how quantum programming works using the example of random walk - Market Research Telecast - July 16th, 2021
- IBM shows the advantages of a quantum computer over traditional computers - Tech News Inc - July 16th, 2021
- Quantum Blockchain Technologies Plc - Working with D-Wave Systems - Yahoo Finance UK - July 6th, 2021
- Conclusions from Forum TERATEC 2021: European Cooperation, Novel Uses of HPC - HPCwire - July 6th, 2021
- IBM researchers demonstrate the advantage that quantum computers have over classical computers - ZDNet - July 2nd, 2021
- Is this the first physics problem that the quantum computer will solve? - Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI) - July 2nd, 2021
- New research proves that quantum computational errors are correlated and connects them to cosmic rays - Illinoisnewstoday.com - July 2nd, 2021
- CSRWire - Refusing Limits with Liz Ruetsch - CSRwire.com - July 2nd, 2021
- Crdit Agricole CIB partners with Pasqal and Multiverse Computing - IBS Intelligence - June 29th, 2021
- Keynotes Announced for IEEE International Conference on Quantum Computing and Engineering - HPCwire - June 29th, 2021
- The evolution of cryptographic algorithms - Ericsson - June 29th, 2021
- EU rewrites rulebook on science and technology cooperation with the rest of the world - Science Business - June 29th, 2021
- IBM's first quantum computer outside of the US has just gone live - ZDNet - June 22nd, 2021
- Quantum computers take up a lot of space. Researchers decided to shrink this one down - ZDNet - June 22nd, 2021
- New discoveries of rare superconductors may be essential for the future of quantum computing - Illinoisnewstoday.com - June 22nd, 2021
- Williams F1 drives digital transformation in racing with AI, quantum - VentureBeat - June 22nd, 2021
- Global IT giant to partner with U of C on quantum computing centre - Calgary Herald - June 2nd, 2021
- A Computer Memory Based on Cold Atoms and Light - Physics - June 2nd, 2021
- Quantum Chip Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation in Technology and 2027 Forecasts Covid-19 Analysis The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 2nd, 2021
- Quantum Blockchain inks deal with cryptography expert to optimise Bitcoin mining operations - Proactive Investors UK - June 2nd, 2021