What are some bleeding-edge information technology developments that a forward-thinking CIO should keep an eye on?
Here are a few emerging technologies that have caught my attention. These are likely to have an increasing impact on the world of business in the future. Consider which ones you should follow a little more closely.
A recent advance in quantum computing that a Google team achieved indicates that quantum computing technology is making progress out of the lab and closing in on practical business applications. Quantum computing is not likely to change routine business transaction processing or data analytics applications. However, quantum computing is likely to dramatically change computationally intense applications required for:
Since most businesses can benefit from at least a few of these applications, quantum computing is worth evaluating. For a more detailed discussion of specific applications in various topic areas, please read: Applying Paradigm-Shifting Quantum Computers to Real-World Issues.
Machine learning is the science of computers acting without software developers writing detailed code to handle every case in the data that the software will encounter. Machine learning software develops its own algorithms that discover knowledge from specific data and the softwares prior experience. Machine learning is based on statistical concepts and computational principles.
The leading cloud computing infrastructure providers machine learning routines that are quite easy to integrate into machine learning applications. These routines greatly reduce expertise barriers that have slowed machine learning adoption at many businesses.
Selected business applications of machine learning include:
For summary descriptions of specific applications, please read: 10 Companies Using Machine Learning in Cool Ways.
Distributed ledger technology is often called blockchain. It enables new business and trust models. A distributed ledger enables all parties in a business community to see agreed information about all transactions, not just their own. That visibility builds trust within the community.
Bitcoin, a cryptocurrency, is the mostly widely known example application of blockchain.
Distributed ledger technology has great potential to revolutionize the way governments, institutions, and corporations interact with each other and with their clients or customers.Selected business applications of distributed ledger technology include:
For descriptions of industry-specific distributed ledger applications, please read: 17 Blockchain Applications That Are Transforming Society.
The Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) is a major advance on Supervisor Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA). SCADA, in many forms, has been used for decades to safely operate major industrial facilities including oil refineries, petrochemical plants, electrical power generation stations, and assembly lines of all kinds.
IIOT is a major advance over relatively expensive SCADA. IIoT relies on dramatically cheaper components including sensors, network bandwidth, storage and computing resources. As a result, IIoT is feasible in many smaller facilities and offers a huge increase in data points for larger facilities. Business examples where IIoT delivers considerable value include production plants, trucks, cars, jet engines, elevators, and weather buoys.
The aggressive implementation of IIoT can:
For summary descriptions of specific IIOT applications, please read: The Top 20 Industrial IoT Applications.
RISC-V is an open-source hardware instruction set architecture (ISA) for CPU microprocessors that is growing in importance. Its based on established reduced instruction set computer (RISC) principles. The open-source aspect of the RISC-V ISA is a significant change compared to the proprietary ISA designs of the dominant computer chip manufacturers Intel and Arm.
RISC-V offers a way around paying ISA royalties for CPU microprocessors to either of the monopolists. The royalties may not be significant for chips used in expensive servers or smartphones, but they are significant for the cheap chips required in large numbers to implement the IIOT applications listed above.
For an expanded discussion of RISC-V, please read: A new blueprint for microprocessors challenges the industrys giants.
What bleeding edge information technology developments would you add to this list? Let us know in the comments below.
Go here to read the rest:
Bleeding edge information technology developments - IT World Canada
- Keeping classified information secret in a world of quantum computing - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - February 11th, 2020
- A neural network that learned to predict the behavior of a quantum system - Tech Explorist - February 9th, 2020
- Deltec Bank, Bahamas A combination of Quantum Computing and Blockchain Technology Will Have a huge Impact on Banking - Press Release - Digital... - February 5th, 2020
- Could Photonic Chips Outpace the Fastest Supercomputers? - Singularity Hub - February 5th, 2020
- Google claims to have invented a quantum computer, but IBM begs to differ - The Conversation CA - January 22nd, 2020
- Xanadu Receives $4.4M Investment from SDTC to Advance its Photonic Quantum Computing Technology - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - January 22nd, 2020
- U of T's Peter Wittek, who will be remembered at Feb. 3 event, on why the future is quantum - News@UofT - January 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Technologies Market 2019, Size, Share, Global Industry Growth, Business Statistics, Top Leaders, Competitive Landscape, Forecast To... - January 17th, 2020
- This Week In Security: Windows 10 Apocalypse, Paypal Problems, And Cablehaunt - Hackaday - January 17th, 2020
- Kitchener's Angstrom Engineering is making a quantum leap with its next-generation technology - TheRecord.com - January 17th, 2020
- Xanadu Receives $4.4M Investment from SDTC to Advance its Photonic Quantum Computing Technology - Yahoo Finance - January 16th, 2020
- The dark side of IoT, AI and quantum computing: Hacking, data breaches and existential threat - ZDNet - January 16th, 2020
- 'How can we compete with Google?': the battle to train quantum coders - The Guardian - January 16th, 2020
- IBM heads US patent list for 27th consecutive year - Technology Decisions - January 16th, 2020
- New Technique May Be Capable of Creating Qubits From Silicon Carbide Wafer - Tom's Hardware - January 14th, 2020
- The hunt for the 'angel particle' continues - Big Think - January 13th, 2020
- How to verify that quantum chips are computing correctly - MIT News - January 13th, 2020
- Googles Quantum Supremacy will mark the End of the Bitcoin in 2020 - The Coin Republic - January 13th, 2020
- Jeffrey Epstein scandal: MIT professor put on leave, he 'failed to inform' college that sex offender made donations - CNBC - January 10th, 2020
- The teenager that's at CES to network - Yahoo Singapore News - January 10th, 2020
- AI, ML and quantum computing to cement position in 2020: Alibabas Jeff Zhang - Tech Observer - January 8th, 2020
- Perspective: End Of An Era | WNIJ and WNIU - WNIJ and WNIU - January 8th, 2020
- Volkswagen carried out the world's first pilot project for traffic optimization with a quantum computer - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - January 6th, 2020
- The 12 Most Important and Stunning Quantum Experiments of 2019 - Livescience.com - December 31st, 2019
- Physicists Just Achieved The First-Ever Quantum Teleportation Between Computer Chips - ScienceAlert - December 31st, 2019
- Quantum Supremacy and the Regulation of Quantum Technologies - The Regulatory Review - December 31st, 2019
- The Best of Science in 2019 - Research Matters - December 31st, 2019
- Technology And Society: Can Marketing Save The World? - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- From the image of a black hole to 'artificial embryos', 2019 was the year of many firsts in science - Economic Times - December 28th, 2019
- Information teleported between two computer chips for the first time - New Atlas - December 26th, 2019
- Same Plastic That Make Legos Could Also Be The Best Thermal Insulators Used in Quantum Computers - KTLA Los Angeles - December 26th, 2019
- Quanta's Year in Math and Computer Science (2019) - Quanta Magazine - December 26th, 2019
- 2019 EurekAlert! Trending Release List the most international ever - Science Codex - December 26th, 2019
- The big science and environment stories of 2019 - BBC News - December 26th, 2019
- Could quantum computing be the key to cracking congestion? - SmartCitiesWorld - December 15th, 2019
- ProBeat: AWS and Azure are generating uneasy excitement in quantum computing - VentureBeat - December 15th, 2019
- Will quantum computing overwhelm existing security tech in the near future? - Help Net Security - December 15th, 2019
- Quantum expert Robert Sutor explains the basics of Quantum Computing - Packt Hub - December 15th, 2019
- Traditional cryptography doesn't stand a chance against the quantum age - Inverse - December 15th, 2019
- China is beating the US when it comes to quantum security - MIT Technology Review - December 15th, 2019
- Technology to Highlight the Next 10 Years: Quantum Computing - Somag News - December 15th, 2019
- Quantum Trends And The Internet of Things - Forbes - December 6th, 2019
- Quantum supremacy is here, but smart data will have the biggest impact - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - December 6th, 2019
- Beer With Bella: Tyson Yunkaporta - The New York Times - December 6th, 2019
- The New Cold War? Its With China, and It Has Already Begun - The New York Times - December 2nd, 2019
- How Countries Are Betting on to Become Supreme in Quantum Computing - Analytics Insight - December 2nd, 2019
- Study: Our universe may be part of a giant quantum computer - The Next Web - November 28th, 2019
- First quantum computing conference to take place in Cambridge - Cambridge Independent - November 28th, 2019
- Threat of quantum computing hackathon to award $100,000 - App Developer Magazine - November 28th, 2019
- World High Performance Computing (HPC) Market Oulook Report, 2019-2024 - HPC Will Be Integral to Combined Classical & Quantum Computing Hybrid... - November 28th, 2019
- ETU "LETI" first won the Bertrand Meyer Award - QS WOW News - November 28th, 2019
- Global Quantum Computing Market is Set to Experience Revolutionary Growth With +25% CAGR by 2025 | Top Players D-Wave Systems Inc., QX Branch, Google... - November 28th, 2019
- Japan plots 20-year race to quantum computers, chasing US and China - Nikkei Asian Review - November 23rd, 2019
- A super cover illustration highlights superconductivity research - The Mix - November 23rd, 2019
- The future that graphene built - Knowable Magazine - November 23rd, 2019
- New Berlin foundation turns AI into immersive art - Art Newspaper - November 23rd, 2019
- Maryanna Saenko and Steve Jurvetson of Future Ventures talk SpaceX, the Boring Co. and . . . ayahuasca - TechCrunch - November 23rd, 2019
- Quantum Hackathon With $100,000 Prize Receives Overwhelming Response - Yahoo Finance - November 22nd, 2019
- Quantum Computing: Challenges, Trends and the Road Ahead - CMSWire - November 20th, 2019
- Researchers Have Achieved a New Level of Quantum Supremacy - TechDecisions - November 20th, 2019
- Will quantum computers revolutionize the world? The Courier - The Courier - November 20th, 2019
- Reality is subjective to the observer - scientists make stunning claim in quantum study - Express.co.uk - November 20th, 2019
- Geeking Out With Legendary Futurist and Investor Steve Jurvetson - mySanAntonio.com - November 20th, 2019
- Hedera Hashgraph (HBAR) Founder Says Quantum Computing Is Not a Threat to Cryptocurrency, Although That Claim Is Debatable Crypto.IQ | Bitcoin and... - November 18th, 2019
- Innovation Focused Firms Issue Open Call for Hackers - IndustryWeek - November 18th, 2019
- Quantum computer - Simple English Wikipedia, the free ... - October 11th, 2019
- Topological quantum computer - Wikipedia - October 11th, 2019
- What is a quantum computer? Explained with a simple example. - September 11th, 2019
- Qubits and Defining the Quantum Computer | HowStuffWorks - September 5th, 2019
- For a Split Second, a Quantum Computer Made History Go ... - May 13th, 2019
- Noisy Quantum Computers Could Be Good for Chemistry Problems ... - April 11th, 2019
- What is a Quantum Computer? - Definition from Techopedia - April 11th, 2019
- What Is a Quantum Computer? | JSTOR Daily - April 11th, 2019
- Measuring Quantum Computer Power With IBM Quantum Volume ... - April 9th, 2019
- Explainer: What is a quantum computer ... - March 24th, 2019
- What Can We Do with a Quantum Computer? | Institute for ... - March 7th, 2019
- Qubit - Wikipedia - February 25th, 2019
- Quantum computer | computer science | Britannica.com - January 10th, 2019
- IBMs new quantum computer is a symbol, not a breakthrough - January 9th, 2019
- IBM unveils the world's first quantum computer that ... - January 9th, 2019