Quantum computing has seen recent breakthroughs in driving higher processing power that can lead to solving more complex problems.
A process known as quantum entanglement is a key driver of the processing power of quantum computers, and higher quantum entanglement states allow quantum computers to increase the complexity of their algorithms.
The University of Melbournes IBM Quantum Hub claims to have created the largest entanglement state of its kind in the world.
Speaking at an IBM media round table, Dr Charles Hill, senior lecturer in quantum computing, and technical lead with the IBM Quantum Hub at the University of Melbourne said that the partnership has allowed for the generation and verification of entanglement in quantum devices, driving forward research in the space.
According to Hill, entanglement is a critical difference between quantum computers and classical computers.
If a quantum computer really wasn't able to demonstrate entanglement, it really wouldn't be a quantum computer it would just be a very, very expensive and very cold, multimillion dollar calculator, says Hill.
The ability to prepare these large, highly entangled states is an important benchmark. It really demonstrates the ability of a quantum device to perform genuinely quantum mechanical computations.
The Australian governments recent development of a national quantum strategy which includes a $70 million dollar investment for a quantum commercialisation hub, as well as the US/AU Quantum cooperation statement reveals the enormous perceived impacts of quantum computing, with the sector expected to grow to at least $86 billion by 2040.
According to Melissa Price, Minister for Science and Technology, Australia now has an important mission to commercialise our research, particularly given quantum technologies are increasingly vital for industries in key areas like defence and national security, as flagged in the recent AUKUS agreement.
Dr Jay Gambetta, IBM Fellow and Vice President, Quantum Computing at IBM says that research is now at the stage where it is looking at ways to connect quantum information to applications.
We're going into this new era where we can start to look at what can we do with these machines? I think they're starting to get to the point that they're beyond what is easy to simulate on a classical computer, says Gambetta.
If I was to say one thing that I hope we achieve in the next few years is when someone from a different field that hasn't particularly been in quantum information actually uses this to answer a question. I think that will be an exciting time.
- Quantum computers are on the path to solving bigger problems for BMW, LG and others - CNET - December 31st, 2021
- Research Opens the Door to Fully Light-Based Quantum Computing - Tom's Hardware - December 31st, 2021
- 10 science breakthroughs of 2021 that you need to know about - India Today - December 31st, 2021
- 7 Tech Trends Where Israel Could Make An Impact In 2022 - NoCamels - Israeli Innovation News - December 31st, 2021
- Research Fellow, Theory, Centre for Quantum Technologies job with NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE | 275976 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 24th, 2021
- The Spanish who have entered this year 2021 in the Guinness Book of Records | Life - Central Valley Business Journal - December 24th, 2021
- Quantum computation is helping uncover materials that turn wasted heat into electricity - The Next Web - December 22nd, 2021
- Quantum Cryptography Market Share-Size, Growth Drivers 2021, Global Demand, Emerging Trends, Opportunities in Grooming Regions, Key Players... - December 22nd, 2021
- What Is Quantum Computing? - Data Center Knowledge - December 16th, 2021
- Quantum computing now has an out-of-this-world problem: Cosmic rays - ZDNet - December 16th, 2021
- Lecturer in Computer Science, Quantum Computing job with ROYAL HOLLOWAY, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 275274 - Times Higher Education (THE) - December 16th, 2021
- Atos announces hybridisation projects at its 8th Quantum Advisory Board - Scientific Computing World - December 16th, 2021
- IonQ Stock Is an Investment in Cutting Edge, Global Solutions - InvestorPlace - December 16th, 2021
- Another setback for 'Majorana' particle as Science paper earns an expression of concern - Retraction Watch - December 16th, 2021
- US is risking APOCALYPSE with millions lining up for food & water if theres a cyberattack on power grid,... - The Sun - December 16th, 2021
- ColdQuanta and Strangeworks Announce Addition of Hilbert Quantum Computer to Strangeworks Ecosystem - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - December 8th, 2021
- How a quantum computer could break 2048-bit RSA encryption ... - December 3rd, 2021
- Atos confirms role as global leader in quantum hybridization technologies at its 8th Quantum Advisory Board - Yahoo Finance - December 3rd, 2021
- US blocks export of quantum computing tech to Chinese organizations - CNET - November 25th, 2021
- Why Blockchain isnt as secure as you think - Evening Standard - November 25th, 2021
- Tech pioneers to headline Princeton conference on innovation and entrepreneurship - Princeton University - November 25th, 2021
- Quantum Turing machine - Wikipedia - November 11th, 2021
- Is Quantum Computing the Future of AI? - Datanami - November 11th, 2021
- Multiverse Computing Partners with IonQ to Bring Quantum Computing to Global Finance - HPCwire - November 11th, 2021
- Leading Technology Executive Max Schireson Joins Quantum Machines' Board of Directors - HPCwire - November 11th, 2021
- Andrew Chi-Chih Yao receives the 2021 Kyoto Prize in Advanced Technology: Commemorative Lecture on his wonderful journey in computer science to be... - November 11th, 2021
- Clever Combination of Quantum Physics and Molecular Biology - SciTechDaily - November 11th, 2021
- QuTech creates a time crystal - Innovation Origins - November 6th, 2021
- Grover's algorithm - Wikipedia - November 1st, 2021
- Quantum Engineering | Electrical and Computer Engineering - November 1st, 2021
- First Photonic Quantum Computer on the Cloud - IEEE Spectrum - November 1st, 2021
- Quantum Computer Maker Rigetti to Go Public via $1.5 ... - November 1st, 2021
- Building a large-scale quantum computer is a huge challenge. Will we ever get there? - ZDNet - November 1st, 2021
- Two UCSB Scientists Receive Award to Partner With Ciscos New Quantum Research Team - Noozhawk - November 1st, 2021
- Researchers show new strategy for detecting non-conformist particles called anyons - Brown University - November 1st, 2021
- IonQ to Report Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results on November 15, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - November 1st, 2021
- UCSB and Cisco Systems Collaboration Aims to Push the Boundaries of Quantum Technologies - AZoQuantum - November 1st, 2021
- 'Quantum computer algorithms are linear algebra, probabilities. This is not something that we do a good job of teaching our kids' - The Register - October 2nd, 2021
- Quantum computer company IonQ makes Wall Street debut - Financial Times - October 2nd, 2021
- Fujitsu and Osaka University Deepen Collaborative Research and Development for Fault-Tolerant Quantum Computers - HPCwire - October 2nd, 2021
- Fermilab on the trail for a new building block of matter and quantum computing power - Medill Reports Chicago - Medill Reports: Chicago - October 2nd, 2021
- A Boulder Company Is Leading the Next Technology Revolution - 5280 - 5280 | The Denver Magazine - October 2nd, 2021
- Judith Olson, Senior Physicist at ColdQuanta, Named Next Generation Leader of the Year at Women in IT Awards - HPCwire - October 2nd, 2021
- Quantum Computing in Manufacturing Market Still Has Room To Grow: International Business Machines, D-Wave Systems, Microsoft - Digital Journal - October 2nd, 2021
- The coevolution of particle physics and computing - Symmetry magazine - September 30th, 2021
- The Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) Takeover: IoT and Quantum-Resistant Blockchains Are Setting the Trend - FinanceFeeds - September 30th, 2021
- $5M NSF Grant to Fund Research on Quantum Internet Foundations - Maryland Today - September 19th, 2021
- 3 Quantum Computing Stocks to Buy for Their Promising Healthcare Potential - InvestorPlace - September 19th, 2021
- DoD Buys Two New Supercomputers That Rank Among Its Most Powerful Ever - Breaking Defense - September 19th, 2021
- College Park's IonQ and the University of Maryland are teaming up to open a $20M quantum lab - Technical.ly DC - September 15th, 2021
- Where the laws of matter break down, a quantum discovery crops up - UPJ Athletics - September 15th, 2021
- Small, diamond-based quantum computers could be in our hands within five years - Cosmos Magazine - August 26th, 2021
- IBM partners with the University of Tokyo on quantum computer - Illinoisnewstoday.com - August 26th, 2021
- A Simple Crystal Could Finally Give Us Large-Scale Quantum Computing, Scientists Say - ScienceAlert - August 16th, 2021
- IBM Partnering with University of Tokyo on Quantum Computer - Datamation - August 16th, 2021
- 40 years ago the first IBM PC was presented, that's how it was and what it knew how to do - Tech Gaming Report - August 14th, 2021
- The week in science news: Olympic Bat, controlled qubits, and speeding metal stars - TechRadar - August 14th, 2021
- Quantum information and quantum field theory: Study found a new connection between them - Tech Explorist - August 14th, 2021
- Global AI Chipsets for Wireless Networks and Devices, Cloud and Next Generation Computing, IoT, and Big Data Analytics to 2026 -... - August 14th, 2021
- What is quantum computing? Everything you need to know about the strange world of quantum computers - ZDNet - July 29th, 2021
- Is Bitcoin (BTC) Safe from Grover's Algorithm? - Yahoo Finance - July 29th, 2021
- Will the NSA Finally Build Its Superconducting Spy Computer? - IEEE Spectrum - July 29th, 2021
- IBM's newest quantum computer is now up-and-running: Here's what it's going to be used for - ZDNet - July 27th, 2021
- URI to host international experts for conference on future of quantum computing - URI Today - July 27th, 2021
- Research by University of Surrey and Arqit reveals Quantum Threat to Digital Assets - Business Wire - July 27th, 2021
- A Roadmap On The Geopolitical Impact Of Emerging Technologies By Chuck Brooks And Dr. David Bray - Forbes - July 27th, 2021
- IBM and CERN on quantum computing to track the elusive Higgs boson - Tech News Inc - July 27th, 2021
- The Convergence of Communication and Computation with Dr. Vida Ilderem - RCR Wireless News - July 27th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Market is anticipated to surge at a CAGR of 33.7% over the next ten years - PRNewswire - July 21st, 2021
- Quantum Computing for the Future Grid - Transmission & Distribution World - July 21st, 2021
- Red Hat embraces quantum supremacy as it looks to the future - SiliconANGLE News - July 21st, 2021
- Quantum Computing Is Coming. What Can It Do? - Harvard Business Review - July 16th, 2021
- Rigetti Computing Partners with Riverlane, Astex Pharmaceuticals on Quantum Computing for Drug Discovery - HPCwire - July 16th, 2021
- Quantware Launches the World's First Commercially Available Superconducting Quantum Processors, Accelerating the Advent of the Quantum Computer. -... - July 16th, 2021
- The Future of Data Encryption: What You Need to Know Now - FedTech Magazine - July 16th, 2021
- Quantum computing: this is how quantum programming works using the example of random walk - Market Research Telecast - July 16th, 2021
- IBM shows the advantages of a quantum computer over traditional computers - Tech News Inc - July 16th, 2021
- Quantum Blockchain Technologies Plc - Working with D-Wave Systems - Yahoo Finance UK - July 6th, 2021
- Conclusions from Forum TERATEC 2021: European Cooperation, Novel Uses of HPC - HPCwire - July 6th, 2021
- IBM researchers demonstrate the advantage that quantum computers have over classical computers - ZDNet - July 2nd, 2021