Riverlane is inviting submissions for contributed talks at next years inaugural Quantum Computing Theory in Practice (QCTIP) conference 2020 which will take place in Cambridge.
Talks will be selected on the basis of scientific excellence and workshop-friendliness. Topics will include applications and architectures of quantum computers; quantum algorithms; quantum compilation and circuit optimisation; quantum error correction and fault tolerance; simulation of quantum systems; theory of near-term quantum computing; and verification of quantum devices.
QCTIP has emerged from a series of Heilbronn quantum algorithms meetings hosted in Bristol and Cambridge since 2010.
Themes to be explored at the event on April 6-8 at the Centre for Mathematical Sciences start with the theory of the whole quantum software stack, seconded by practical aspects of running experiments on current and NISQ devices, and thirdly scaling up to more and higher-quality qubits.
The programme committee includes Srinivasan Arunachalam of MIT/IBM Research and chair Iordanis Kerenidis, CNRS senior researcher/QCWare. Speakers from IBM Research, Google and Oxford University have been invited.
All submissions for talks must be made online through the EasyChair submission system.
Riverlane is based at St Andrews House in the centre of town and is run by Dr Steve Brierley, has spent 10 years researching algorithms and architectures for quantum computers, most recently as a senior research fellow in applied mathematics at the University of Cambridge. The company writes software for quantum computers, with the software being run on a quantum computer based at Oxford Quantum Circuits.
Theres only 50 quantum computers currently around, and its likely to remain a limited number, says Dr Brierley. Quantum computers are very good at certain things: you wont see one on your phone any time soon, though it might be used to make the chips on the phone run faster.
It costs several million pounds to buy the components to build a quantum computer and you have to get the staff theres very few people who know how to build one. We work with companies that already use computational modelling in design, for instance Merck, which has a performance materials division which includes everything from lip gloss to organic LEDs in a TV.
Dr Brierleys expertise was recently called upon by the Guardian to solve a bit of a spat between Google and IBM. Google announced its Sycamore quantum processor had performed a specific task in 200 seconds that would take the worlds best supercomputer 10,000 years to complete, meaning it had achieved quantum supremacy by exceeding the potential of traditional devices. But in a blog post IBM researchers said the result should be treated with a large dose of scepticism due to the complicated nature of benchmarking an appropriate metric.
Dr Brierley told the Guardian: Its clearly an amazing achievement. I think this is going to be one of those moments when people look back and say, That was the time that really changed this field of quantum computing. It is also a great moment in time to stop talking about quantum supremacy, which has unfortunate historical connotations, and move on to talking about quantum advantage, which has a useful application.
Quantum computing is so new there isnt a standard operating system so Riverlane is writing one.
Its quite difficult because if you write software for one quantum computer it wont work on any other so were currently developing an operating system, which we expect to be complete within 18 months as an initial product, Dr Brierley told the Cambridge Independent. The challenge in the sector is what is the best way to build a quantum computer and this operating system will remove the uncertainty.
- Google claims to have invented a quantum computer, but IBM begs to differ - The Conversation CA - January 22nd, 2020
- Xanadu Receives $4.4M Investment from SDTC to Advance its Photonic Quantum Computing Technology - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - January 22nd, 2020
- U of T's Peter Wittek, who will be remembered at Feb. 3 event, on why the future is quantum - News@UofT - January 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Technologies Market 2019, Size, Share, Global Industry Growth, Business Statistics, Top Leaders, Competitive Landscape, Forecast To... - January 17th, 2020
- This Week In Security: Windows 10 Apocalypse, Paypal Problems, And Cablehaunt - Hackaday - January 17th, 2020
- Kitchener's Angstrom Engineering is making a quantum leap with its next-generation technology - TheRecord.com - January 17th, 2020
- Xanadu Receives $4.4M Investment from SDTC to Advance its Photonic Quantum Computing Technology - Yahoo Finance - January 16th, 2020
- The dark side of IoT, AI and quantum computing: Hacking, data breaches and existential threat - ZDNet - January 16th, 2020
- 'How can we compete with Google?': the battle to train quantum coders - The Guardian - January 16th, 2020
- IBM heads US patent list for 27th consecutive year - Technology Decisions - January 16th, 2020
- New Technique May Be Capable of Creating Qubits From Silicon Carbide Wafer - Tom's Hardware - January 14th, 2020
- The hunt for the 'angel particle' continues - Big Think - January 13th, 2020
- How to verify that quantum chips are computing correctly - MIT News - January 13th, 2020
- Googles Quantum Supremacy will mark the End of the Bitcoin in 2020 - The Coin Republic - January 13th, 2020
- Bleeding edge information technology developments - IT World Canada - January 13th, 2020
- Jeffrey Epstein scandal: MIT professor put on leave, he 'failed to inform' college that sex offender made donations - CNBC - January 10th, 2020
- The teenager that's at CES to network - Yahoo Singapore News - January 10th, 2020
- AI, ML and quantum computing to cement position in 2020: Alibabas Jeff Zhang - Tech Observer - January 8th, 2020
- Perspective: End Of An Era | WNIJ and WNIU - WNIJ and WNIU - January 8th, 2020
- Volkswagen carried out the world's first pilot project for traffic optimization with a quantum computer - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - January 6th, 2020
- The 12 Most Important and Stunning Quantum Experiments of 2019 - Livescience.com - December 31st, 2019
- Physicists Just Achieved The First-Ever Quantum Teleportation Between Computer Chips - ScienceAlert - December 31st, 2019
- Quantum Supremacy and the Regulation of Quantum Technologies - The Regulatory Review - December 31st, 2019
- The Best of Science in 2019 - Research Matters - December 31st, 2019
- Technology And Society: Can Marketing Save The World? - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- From the image of a black hole to 'artificial embryos', 2019 was the year of many firsts in science - Economic Times - December 28th, 2019
- Information teleported between two computer chips for the first time - New Atlas - December 26th, 2019
- Same Plastic That Make Legos Could Also Be The Best Thermal Insulators Used in Quantum Computers - KTLA Los Angeles - December 26th, 2019
- Quanta's Year in Math and Computer Science (2019) - Quanta Magazine - December 26th, 2019
- 2019 EurekAlert! Trending Release List the most international ever - Science Codex - December 26th, 2019
- The big science and environment stories of 2019 - BBC News - December 26th, 2019
- Could quantum computing be the key to cracking congestion? - SmartCitiesWorld - December 15th, 2019
- ProBeat: AWS and Azure are generating uneasy excitement in quantum computing - VentureBeat - December 15th, 2019
- Will quantum computing overwhelm existing security tech in the near future? - Help Net Security - December 15th, 2019
- Quantum expert Robert Sutor explains the basics of Quantum Computing - Packt Hub - December 15th, 2019
- Traditional cryptography doesn't stand a chance against the quantum age - Inverse - December 15th, 2019
- China is beating the US when it comes to quantum security - MIT Technology Review - December 15th, 2019
- Technology to Highlight the Next 10 Years: Quantum Computing - Somag News - December 15th, 2019
- Quantum Trends And The Internet of Things - Forbes - December 6th, 2019
- Quantum supremacy is here, but smart data will have the biggest impact - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - December 6th, 2019
- Beer With Bella: Tyson Yunkaporta - The New York Times - December 6th, 2019
- The New Cold War? Its With China, and It Has Already Begun - The New York Times - December 2nd, 2019
- How Countries Are Betting on to Become Supreme in Quantum Computing - Analytics Insight - December 2nd, 2019
- Study: Our universe may be part of a giant quantum computer - The Next Web - November 28th, 2019
- Threat of quantum computing hackathon to award $100,000 - App Developer Magazine - November 28th, 2019
- World High Performance Computing (HPC) Market Oulook Report, 2019-2024 - HPC Will Be Integral to Combined Classical & Quantum Computing Hybrid... - November 28th, 2019
- ETU "LETI" first won the Bertrand Meyer Award - QS WOW News - November 28th, 2019
- Global Quantum Computing Market is Set to Experience Revolutionary Growth With +25% CAGR by 2025 | Top Players D-Wave Systems Inc., QX Branch, Google... - November 28th, 2019
- Japan plots 20-year race to quantum computers, chasing US and China - Nikkei Asian Review - November 23rd, 2019
- A super cover illustration highlights superconductivity research - The Mix - November 23rd, 2019
- The future that graphene built - Knowable Magazine - November 23rd, 2019
- New Berlin foundation turns AI into immersive art - Art Newspaper - November 23rd, 2019
- Maryanna Saenko and Steve Jurvetson of Future Ventures talk SpaceX, the Boring Co. and . . . ayahuasca - TechCrunch - November 23rd, 2019
- Quantum Hackathon With $100,000 Prize Receives Overwhelming Response - Yahoo Finance - November 22nd, 2019
- Quantum Computing: Challenges, Trends and the Road Ahead - CMSWire - November 20th, 2019
- Researchers Have Achieved a New Level of Quantum Supremacy - TechDecisions - November 20th, 2019
- Will quantum computers revolutionize the world? The Courier - The Courier - November 20th, 2019
- Reality is subjective to the observer - scientists make stunning claim in quantum study - Express.co.uk - November 20th, 2019
- Geeking Out With Legendary Futurist and Investor Steve Jurvetson - mySanAntonio.com - November 20th, 2019
- Hedera Hashgraph (HBAR) Founder Says Quantum Computing Is Not a Threat to Cryptocurrency, Although That Claim Is Debatable Crypto.IQ | Bitcoin and... - November 18th, 2019
- Innovation Focused Firms Issue Open Call for Hackers - IndustryWeek - November 18th, 2019
- Quantum computer - Simple English Wikipedia, the free ... - October 11th, 2019
- Topological quantum computer - Wikipedia - October 11th, 2019
- What is a quantum computer? Explained with a simple example. - September 11th, 2019
- Qubits and Defining the Quantum Computer | HowStuffWorks - September 5th, 2019
- For a Split Second, a Quantum Computer Made History Go ... - May 13th, 2019
- Noisy Quantum Computers Could Be Good for Chemistry Problems ... - April 11th, 2019
- What is a Quantum Computer? - Definition from Techopedia - April 11th, 2019
- What Is a Quantum Computer? | JSTOR Daily - April 11th, 2019
- Measuring Quantum Computer Power With IBM Quantum Volume ... - April 9th, 2019
- Explainer: What is a quantum computer ... - March 24th, 2019
- What Can We Do with a Quantum Computer? | Institute for ... - March 7th, 2019
- Qubit - Wikipedia - February 25th, 2019
- Quantum computer | computer science | Britannica.com - January 10th, 2019
- IBMs new quantum computer is a symbol, not a breakthrough - January 9th, 2019
- IBM unveils the world's first quantum computer that ... - January 9th, 2019
- Were Close to a Universal Quantum Computer, Heres Where We're At - November 28th, 2018
- Schrdinger's Killer App: Race to Build the World's First ... - August 7th, 2018
- How Quantum Computers Work - May 3rd, 2018
- This is what a 50-qubit quantum computer looks like - January 15th, 2018