[Stay on top of transportation news: Get TTNews in your inbox.]
The most promising startups using artificial intelligence are U.S.-based companies working in the fields of health care, retail and transportation, according to a study that looked at budding AI companies around the world.
Of the top 100 startups in AI, 65% were based in the U.S., though some of those had dual headquarters in China or elsewhere, according to the analysis by CB Insights, a tech research group that analyzed data on close to 5,000 startups around the world.
These would be companies to watch that are doing really interesting research in AI, said Deepashri Varadharajan, the lead analyst on the report. Some of them might get acquired. Some might have successful product launches.
The research group considered venture capital investment, patent activity and market potential to develop its list of the companies most likely to succeed. The high percentage of U.S.-based companies reflect the countrys historical dominance in AI research, Varadharajan said.
Host Seth Clevenger went to CES 2020 in Las Vegas and met with Rich Mohr of Ryder Fleet Management Solutions and Stephan Olsen of the Paccar Innovation Center to discuss how high-tech the industry has become. Listen to a snippet above, and to hear the full episode, go to RoadSigns.TTNews.com.
More than 4,300 startups in 80 countries have raised $83 billion since 2014, including $26.6 billion just last year, according to CB Insights. While the dollar figures for investment have grown rapidly, the share of U.S.-based investments dropped in that period to 39% from 71%.
The U.S. still has the most number of deals, but that deal share has started to drop as other countries are starting to fund technologies, she said. The vast majority are automating specific tasks in white-collar settings.
That echoes a Brookings Institution study last year that found white-collar jobs are most likely to see an impact from AI, particularly in the life sciences and computer industries.
Top-ranked firms in the CB Insights ranking included several unicorns, or startups whose private valuations reached $1 billion or more. These include the following: Butterfly Network, which is building an ultrasound device that uses AI-assisted diagnostics; Faire Wholesale Inc., which helps local retailers determine what goods are predicted to sell best in specific locations, and DataRobot, whose tools help companies develop their own AI applications.
Some of the startups already have begun work with larger companies, including Caspar.AI, a U.S. and Japan-based firm thats working with Panasonic Corp. on smart home products and ClimaCell Inc., a climate-monitoring firm thats partnered with Alphabet Inc.s Google, JetBlue Airways Corp. and Delta Air Lines Inc. Google also is working with U.K.-based InstaDeep Ltd., which builds AI systems for other companies in the fields of logistics, energy and electronic design.
What the companies have in common is that they are addressing a need within specific industries and, in many cases, breaking through bottlenecks, Varadharajan said.
You can be using AI, thats great, but is there a problem that youre trying to solve? she said. It can be an industry-specific need or pushing the boundaries of core research itself.
The health care startups were looking at diagnostics, health monitoring and enhancing imaging. AI companies are working to develop commuter modeling, waste recycling and mapping for city planning. Improving the energy grid, anti-fraud features in the finance industry, and indoor farming are some of the other areas where AI is being used.
Some future trends she pointed to include energy efficiency, improving quantum computing and doctored videos called deepfakes.
With assistance from Alex Tanzi.
Want more news? Listen to today's daily briefing:
- Solving problems by working together: Could quantum computing hold the key to Covid-19? - ITProPortal - July 2nd, 2020
- Spain Introduces the World's First Quantum Phase Battery - News - All About Circuits - July 2nd, 2020
- Professor tackles one more mystery about quantum mechanics and times flow - GeekWire - July 2nd, 2020
- This Week's Awesome Tech Stories From Around the Web (Through June 27) - Singularity Hub - June 29th, 2020
- Kudos: Read about faculty, staff and student awards, appointments and achievements - Vanderbilt University News - June 29th, 2020
- This Is the First Universal Language for Quantum Computers - Popular Mechanics - June 21st, 2020
- Universal Quantum raises $4.5 million to build a large-scale quantum computer - VentureBeat - June 17th, 2020
- Ethereum (ETH) Might Not have Quantum Resistance on its Roadmap, the QRL Team Reveals - Crowdfund Insider - June 17th, 2020
- Craig Knoblock Named Michael Keston Executive Director of the USC Information Sciences Institute - USC Viterbi School of Engineering - June 17th, 2020
- European quantum computing startup takes its funding to 32M with fresh raise - TechCrunch - June 11th, 2020
- SKT to expand use of new quantum-powered security solutions - The Korea Herald - June 11th, 2020
- Archer looks to commercialisation future with graphene-based biosensor tech - ZDNet - June 11th, 2020
- Dear NASA, please put a particle collider on the Moon - The Next Web - June 11th, 2020
- Top 10 emerging technologies of 2020: Winners and losers - TechRepublic - June 11th, 2020
- When Will Quantum Computing Come to Mainstream? - Analytics Insight - June 8th, 2020
- University announces 2020 winners of Quantrell and Graduate Teaching Awards - UChicago News - June 8th, 2020
- Physicists Found a Way to Save Schrdingers Cat - Dual Dove - June 8th, 2020
- Physicists hunt for room-temperature superconductors that could revolutionize the world's energy system - The Conversation US - June 3rd, 2020
- Covid 19 Pandemic: Quantum Computing Technologies Market 2020, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- Molecular dynamics used to simulate 100 million atoms | Opinion - Chemistry World - May 23rd, 2020
- Highest-performing quantum simulator IN THE WORLD delivered to Japan - TechGeek - May 18th, 2020
- Light, fantastic: the path ahead for faster, smaller computer processors - News - The University of Sydney - May 18th, 2020
- Wiring the quantum computer of the future - Space Daily - April 29th, 2020
- Technologies That You Can Explore Other Than Data Science During Lockdown - Analytics India Magazine - April 29th, 2020
- Will Quantum Computing Really Change The World? Facts And Myths - Analytics India Magazine - April 23rd, 2020
- Google's top quantum computing brain may or may not have quit - Fudzilla - April 23rd, 2020
- On the Heels of a Light Beam - Scientific American - April 23rd, 2020
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES): What It Is and How It Works - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - April 23rd, 2020
- Google's Head of Quantum Computing Hardware Resigns - WIRED - April 21st, 2020
- COVID-19: Quantum computing could someday find cures for coronaviruses and other diseases - TechRepublic - April 21st, 2020
- The future of quantum computing in the cloud - TechTarget - April 21st, 2020
- Quantum computer chips demonstrated at the highest temperatures ever - New Scientist News - April 17th, 2020
- Alex Garland on 'Devs,' free will and quantum computing - Engadget - April 14th, 2020
- RAND report finds that, like fusion power and Half Life 3, quantum computing is still 15 years away - The Register - April 12th, 2020
- Quantum computing: When to expect the next major leap - TechRepublic - April 12th, 2020
- Cambridge Quantum Computing Performs the World's First Quantum Natural Language Processing Experiment - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - April 12th, 2020
- The Well-matched Combo of Quantum Computing and Machine Learning - Analytics Insight - March 23rd, 2020
- Picking up the quantum technology baton - The Hindu - March 23rd, 2020
- Research by University of Chicago PhD Student and EPiQC Wins IBM Q Best Paper - HPCwire - March 23rd, 2020
- Honeywell Achieves Breakthrough That Will Enable The Worlds Most Powerful Quantum Computer #47655 - New Kerala - March 23rd, 2020
- Is time broken? Physicists filmed a quantum measurement but the 'moment' was blurry - The Next Web - March 5th, 2020
- What Is Quantum Computing? The Next Era of Computational ... - March 3rd, 2020
- Honeywell says it will soon launch the worlds most powerful quantum computer - TechCrunch - March 3rd, 2020
- 10 Revolutionary Technologies To Lookout For In 2020 - Fossbytes - March 3rd, 2020
- Quantum researchers able to split one photon into three - Space Daily - March 3rd, 2020
- Physicists Captured The Moment That An Atom Enters Quantum Measurement - Somag News - February 29th, 2020
- This Week's Awesome Tech Stories From Around the Web (Through February 29) - Singularity Hub - February 29th, 2020
- IC Breakthroughs: Energy Harvesting, Quantum Computing, and a 96-Core Processor in Six Chiplets - News - All About Circuits - February 29th, 2020
- Top 10 Strategic Technology Breakthroughs That Will Transform Our Lives - Analytics Insight - February 29th, 2020
- New Intel chip could accelerate the advent of quantum computing - RedShark News - February 28th, 2020
- Particle accelerator technology could solve one of the most vexing problems in building quantum computers - Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory - February 28th, 2020
- Top 10 breakthrough technologies of 2020 - TechRepublic - February 28th, 2020
- 21st ISQED Conference to Commence With Focus on Quantum Computing, Security, and AI/ML & Electronic Design - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2020
- NTT Research to Collaborate with UCLA and Georgetown on Cryptography and Blockchain - Yahoo Finance - February 25th, 2020
- Should decision makers be concerned by the threat of quantum? - Information Age - February 25th, 2020
- Keeping classified information secret in a world of quantum computing - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - February 11th, 2020
- A neural network that learned to predict the behavior of a quantum system - Tech Explorist - February 9th, 2020
- Deltec Bank, Bahamas A combination of Quantum Computing and Blockchain Technology Will Have a huge Impact on Banking - Press Release - Digital... - February 5th, 2020
- Could Photonic Chips Outpace the Fastest Supercomputers? - Singularity Hub - February 5th, 2020
- Google claims to have invented a quantum computer, but IBM begs to differ - The Conversation CA - January 22nd, 2020
- Xanadu Receives $4.4M Investment from SDTC to Advance its Photonic Quantum Computing Technology - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - January 22nd, 2020
- U of T's Peter Wittek, who will be remembered at Feb. 3 event, on why the future is quantum - News@UofT - January 17th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Technologies Market 2019, Size, Share, Global Industry Growth, Business Statistics, Top Leaders, Competitive Landscape, Forecast To... - January 17th, 2020
- This Week In Security: Windows 10 Apocalypse, Paypal Problems, And Cablehaunt - Hackaday - January 17th, 2020
- Kitchener's Angstrom Engineering is making a quantum leap with its next-generation technology - TheRecord.com - January 17th, 2020
- Xanadu Receives $4.4M Investment from SDTC to Advance its Photonic Quantum Computing Technology - Yahoo Finance - January 16th, 2020
- The dark side of IoT, AI and quantum computing: Hacking, data breaches and existential threat - ZDNet - January 16th, 2020
- 'How can we compete with Google?': the battle to train quantum coders - The Guardian - January 16th, 2020
- IBM heads US patent list for 27th consecutive year - Technology Decisions - January 16th, 2020
- New Technique May Be Capable of Creating Qubits From Silicon Carbide Wafer - Tom's Hardware - January 14th, 2020
- The hunt for the 'angel particle' continues - Big Think - January 13th, 2020
- How to verify that quantum chips are computing correctly - MIT News - January 13th, 2020
- Googles Quantum Supremacy will mark the End of the Bitcoin in 2020 - The Coin Republic - January 13th, 2020
- Bleeding edge information technology developments - IT World Canada - January 13th, 2020
- Jeffrey Epstein scandal: MIT professor put on leave, he 'failed to inform' college that sex offender made donations - CNBC - January 10th, 2020
- The teenager that's at CES to network - Yahoo Singapore News - January 10th, 2020
- AI, ML and quantum computing to cement position in 2020: Alibabas Jeff Zhang - Tech Observer - January 8th, 2020
- Perspective: End Of An Era | WNIJ and WNIU - WNIJ and WNIU - January 8th, 2020
- Volkswagen carried out the world's first pilot project for traffic optimization with a quantum computer - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - January 6th, 2020
- The 12 Most Important and Stunning Quantum Experiments of 2019 - Livescience.com - December 31st, 2019