Artificial intelligence and 5G will drive the technology revolution, according to CompTIA.
Image: imaginima / Getty Images
Technology solutions built around artificial intelligence (AI) and 5G offer the most immediate opportunities for tech firms to generate new business and revenue, according to CompTIA's third annual Top 10 Emerging Technologies report released on Wednesday.
Each year, the Emerging Technology Community of CompTIA, the nonprofit association for the global technology industry, releases its list of the top emerging technologies.
SEE: Managing AI and ML in the enterprise 2020: Tech leaders increase project development and implementation (TechRepublic Premium)
"Our ranking represents a consensus viewpoint that emerged after some spirited debate and discussion with the community," said Michael Haines, director of partner incentive strategy and program design for Microsoft and chair of the CompTIA Emerging Technology Community, in a press release.
"We're not proposing that every solution provider and channel partner needs to immediately add these technologies to their menu of products and services," Haines added. "But these innovations will have a sweeping impact on the business of technology. Companies need to prepare now for the changes ahead."
AI and 5G each moved up one spot from last year's list. The Internet of Things (IoT), which claimed the top spot in 2019, dropped to third on this year's list. Augmented and virtual reality and biometrics also moved up, while blockchain and robotics slipped a bit.
"We always saw the marvelous opportunity in AI," Haines said in a blog post. "It's literally been moving up the list. It's one of those interesting ones to watch. AI is now being evaluated as we see it by nearly every organization for possible application to drive insights and better solutions."
Some technologies such as 3D printing and drones fell completely off the list, after claiming a spot since the list began in 2018, while Natural Language Processing made its first appearance.
AI claimed the top spot on the list. Artificial intelligence refers to programmed algorithms that automatically parse and apply knowledge. It's the largest force in emerging technology, and includes security and sales applications for businesses.
5G offers improvements over 4G, such as low latency, intelligent power consumption and high device density. 5G will make augmented reality, smart cities and connected vehicles possible.
The Internet of Things combines information from connected devices and allows for analytics of systems. These platforms, devices and datasets provide additional insights and efficiencies for the enterprise.
4. Serverless Computing
Serverless computing, or Function as a Service (FaaS), allows companies to build applications that scale in real time so that they can respond to demand that can change instantly depending on orders of magnitude. FaaS offers a consumption-based platform so that developers can quickly and cost effectively deploy applications.
Security will be improved by biometics by allowing people and devices to authenticate and move seamlessly through the world.
6. Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality
AR and VR transform how people engage with machines, data and each other. The enterprise is using mixed reality, AI and sensor technologies to enhance execution flexibility, operational efficiency and individual productivity.
There's an ever-increasing need to be able to secure and manage transactions across the internet, and blockchain is the answer. Blockchain manages data and supply chain challenges.
Robotics are shifting from industrial use to service delivery and are impacting home and businesses, both physically and virtually.
9. Natural Language Processing
NLP is a field of AI that enables computers to analyze and understand human language. Speech-to-text converts human language into a programming language. Text-to-speech converts a computer operation to an audible response.
10. Quantum Computing
Our ability to process and analyze big data will be impacted by quantum computing. It is the key to leveraging machine learning and the power of AI.
For comparison, in 2019, these were the top 10 from CompTIA:
The list is intended to be used as a starting place for debate. Haines said in a blog post, "What I like about it a lot is that people will disagree with the list. They'll say, 'Oh, well I think this one ought to be in there or that one ought to be in there.' And you know what? That's really one of the reasons for the listit's a living document. It's the view of this community, but it fosters great discussion."
We deliver the top business tech news stories about the companies, the people, and the products revolutionizing the planet. Delivered Daily
DevOps: A cheat sheet(TechRepublic) Technology in education: The latest products and trends (free PDF) (TechRepublic download)Hiring Kit: Autonomous Systems Engineer (TechRepublic Premium)Technology that changed us: The 1970s, from Pong to Apollo (ZDNet)These smart plugs are the secret to a seamless smart home (CNET)The 10 most important iPhone apps of all time (Download.com)Tom Merritt's Top 5 series (TechRepublic on Flipboard)
Image: Sompong Rattanakunchon / Getty Images
Read the original here:
Top 10 emerging technologies of 2020: Winners and losers - TechRepublic
- Valuation of quantum computer maker D-Wave slashed by more than half after company struggles to raise financing - The Globe and Mail - October 27th, 2020
- 60-year-old limit to lasers overturned by quantum researchers - Griffith News - October 27th, 2020
- A Measured Approach to Regulating Fast-Changing Tech - Harvard Business Review - October 27th, 2020
- The Importance of Funding Quantum Physics, Even in a Pandemic - Inside Philanthropy - October 23rd, 2020
- Material found in paint may hold the key to a technological revolution - Advanced Science News - October 23rd, 2020
- What is Quantum Computing, and How does it Help Us? - Analytics Insight - October 13th, 2020
- QCE20: Here's what you can expect from Intel's new quantum computing research this week - Neowin - October 13th, 2020
- Canadian quantum computing firms partner to spread the technology - IT World Canada - October 13th, 2020
- Ten-year Forecasts for Quantum Networking Opportunities and Deployments Over the Coming Decade - WFMZ Allentown - October 13th, 2020
- Berkeley Lab Technologies Honored With 7 R&D 100 Awards - Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory - October 5th, 2020
- IBM Partners With HBCUs to Diversify Quantum Computing Workforce - Diverse: Issues in Higher Education - September 25th, 2020
- IBM, Alphabet and well-funded startups in the race for quantum supremacy - IT Brief Australia - September 25th, 2020
- How This Bangalore Based Startup Is Driving Innovation With Quantum Technology-Based Products - Analytics India Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- New faculty add to Yale's strength in applied mathematics - Yale News - September 25th, 2020
- NU receives $115 million federal grant to research and develop beyond state-of-the-art quantum computer - Daily Northwestern - September 24th, 2020
- IBM Just Committed to Having a Functioning 1,000 Qubit Quantum Computer by 2023 - ScienceAlert - September 24th, 2020
- IBM plans to build a 1121 qubit system. What does this technology mean? - The Hindu - September 24th, 2020
- Extending the life of the qubit | Temple Now - Temple University News - September 24th, 2020
- OSTP, NSF, DoE, and IBM make major push to strengthen research in AI and quantum - BlackEngineer.com - September 24th, 2020
- Heres why quantum computing is a cat among the pigeons - BusinessLine - September 12th, 2020
- The Hyperion-insideHPC Interviews: ORNL Distinguished Scientist Travis Humble on Coupling Classical and Quantum Computing - insideHPC - September 12th, 2020
- Oxford Instruments Partners With The 10 Million Consortium, To Launch The First Commercial Quantum Computer In UK - AZoNano - September 10th, 2020
- Combinations of new technologies will upend finance - The Australian Financial Review - September 10th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Analysis by Growth, segmentation, performance, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2026 - Galus Australis - September 10th, 2020
- The Quantum Dream: Are We There Yet? - Toolbox - September 7th, 2020
- 17 extremely useful productivity tips from this years 40 Under 40 - Yahoo Finance UK - September 7th, 2020
- How Amazon Quietly Powers The Internet - Forbes - September 7th, 2020
- Study Expands Types of Physics, Engineering Problems That Can Be Solved by Quantum Computers - HPCwire - September 4th, 2020
- New evidence that the quantum world is even stranger than we thought - Purdue News Service - September 4th, 2020
- How Andersen Cheng plans to defend against the quantum computer - The Independent - September 4th, 2020
- Quantum computer to be hosted in Abingdon - ClickLancashire - September 4th, 2020
- Assistant director of NSFs Computer and Information Science and Engineering to give virtual talk Sept. 11 - Vanderbilt University News - September 4th, 2020
- Fermilab to lead $115 million National Quantum Information Science Research Center to build revolutionary quantum computer with Rigetti Computing,... - August 29th, 2020
- I confess, I'm scared of the next generation of supercomputers - TechRadar - August 29th, 2020
- Q-NEXT collaboration awarded National Quantum Initiative funding - University of Wisconsin-Madison - August 29th, 2020
- UArizona Scientists to Build What Einstein Wrote off as Science Fiction - UANews - August 29th, 2020
- Quantum leap? US plans for unhackable internet may not fructify within a decade, but India is far behind - The Financial Express - August 4th, 2020
- Google distinguished scientist Hartmut Neven is one of Fast Company's - Fast Company - August 4th, 2020
- Quantum physicists say time travelers don't have to worry about the butterfly effect - The Next Web - August 2nd, 2020
- Week in review: BootHole, RCEs in industrial VPNs, the cybersecurity profession crisis - Help Net Security - August 2nd, 2020
- New UC-led institute awarded $25M to explore potential of quantum computing and train a future workforce - University of California - July 31st, 2020
- The future of encryption: Getting ready for the quantum computer attack - TechRepublic - July 31st, 2020
- IBM and University of Tokyo team up for Quantum Innovation Initiative Consortium - SmartPlanet.com - July 31st, 2020
- 'Butterfly effect' is wrong and reality can 'heal itself', quantum scientists find in time travel experiment - The Independent - July 31st, 2020
- Research: the butterfly effect does not exist in the quantum model - FREE NEWS - July 31st, 2020
- Solving problems by working together: Could quantum computing hold the key to Covid-19? - ITProPortal - July 2nd, 2020
- Spain Introduces the World's First Quantum Phase Battery - News - All About Circuits - July 2nd, 2020
- Professor tackles one more mystery about quantum mechanics and times flow - GeekWire - July 2nd, 2020
- This Week's Awesome Tech Stories From Around the Web (Through June 27) - Singularity Hub - June 29th, 2020
- Kudos: Read about faculty, staff and student awards, appointments and achievements - Vanderbilt University News - June 29th, 2020
- This Is the First Universal Language for Quantum Computers - Popular Mechanics - June 21st, 2020
- Universal Quantum raises $4.5 million to build a large-scale quantum computer - VentureBeat - June 17th, 2020
- Ethereum (ETH) Might Not have Quantum Resistance on its Roadmap, the QRL Team Reveals - Crowdfund Insider - June 17th, 2020
- Craig Knoblock Named Michael Keston Executive Director of the USC Information Sciences Institute - USC Viterbi School of Engineering - June 17th, 2020
- European quantum computing startup takes its funding to 32M with fresh raise - TechCrunch - June 11th, 2020
- SKT to expand use of new quantum-powered security solutions - The Korea Herald - June 11th, 2020
- Archer looks to commercialisation future with graphene-based biosensor tech - ZDNet - June 11th, 2020
- Dear NASA, please put a particle collider on the Moon - The Next Web - June 11th, 2020
- When Will Quantum Computing Come to Mainstream? - Analytics Insight - June 8th, 2020
- University announces 2020 winners of Quantrell and Graduate Teaching Awards - UChicago News - June 8th, 2020
- Physicists Found a Way to Save Schrdingers Cat - Dual Dove - June 8th, 2020
- Physicists hunt for room-temperature superconductors that could revolutionize the world's energy system - The Conversation US - June 3rd, 2020
- Covid 19 Pandemic: Quantum Computing Technologies Market 2020, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2025 - 3rd Watch News - May 24th, 2020
- Molecular dynamics used to simulate 100 million atoms | Opinion - Chemistry World - May 23rd, 2020
- Highest-performing quantum simulator IN THE WORLD delivered to Japan - TechGeek - May 18th, 2020
- Light, fantastic: the path ahead for faster, smaller computer processors - News - The University of Sydney - May 18th, 2020
- Wiring the quantum computer of the future - Space Daily - April 29th, 2020
- Technologies That You Can Explore Other Than Data Science During Lockdown - Analytics India Magazine - April 29th, 2020
- Will Quantum Computing Really Change The World? Facts And Myths - Analytics India Magazine - April 23rd, 2020
- Google's top quantum computing brain may or may not have quit - Fudzilla - April 23rd, 2020
- On the Heels of a Light Beam - Scientific American - April 23rd, 2020
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES): What It Is and How It Works - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - April 23rd, 2020
- Google's Head of Quantum Computing Hardware Resigns - WIRED - April 21st, 2020
- COVID-19: Quantum computing could someday find cures for coronaviruses and other diseases - TechRepublic - April 21st, 2020
- The future of quantum computing in the cloud - TechTarget - April 21st, 2020
- Quantum computer chips demonstrated at the highest temperatures ever - New Scientist News - April 17th, 2020
- Alex Garland on 'Devs,' free will and quantum computing - Engadget - April 14th, 2020
- RAND report finds that, like fusion power and Half Life 3, quantum computing is still 15 years away - The Register - April 12th, 2020
- Quantum computing: When to expect the next major leap - TechRepublic - April 12th, 2020
- Cambridge Quantum Computing Performs the World's First Quantum Natural Language Processing Experiment - Quantaneo, the Quantum Computing Source - April 12th, 2020