Thegeneral theory of relativitywas published by the physicsgeniusmore than a century ago, to refine Isaac Newtons law of universal gravitation. Providing a unified description of gravity as a geometric property of space and time, or spacetime, this model is still currently used by scientists asan explanationof gravitation in modern physics. Einsteins theory has important astrophysical implications as it alludes to the existence ofblack holes cosmic phenomenons in which space and time are distorted in such a way that nothing, not even light, can escape.
At the centre of a black hole, as described by general relativity, may lie agravitational singularity, a region where the spacetime curvature becomes infinite.
But whilemathematics says a singularity is possible, nature apparently proves these do not exist, Discovery Channels How The Universe Works exposed.
The series explained: When a giant dying star collapses, the mass of the star falls in and keeps falling in crushing down into an infinitely small point.
This is called the singularity.
But physicist Max Tegmark believes the singularity is just a fancy way of saying we have no idea what is happening here.
Astronomer Phil Plait explained why some experts have an issue with using this theory.
He said: The way our physics describes black holes when they form is youre taking a finite amount of mass and youre collapsing it down.
Its volume should shrink all the way down to zero, but that means it has infinite density and infinite gravity.
That doesnt make sense.
How is Boris Johnson handling the coronavirus crisis? Vote in our poll
Theoretical physics Lawrence Krauss then explained why some are questioning Einsteins theory.
He added: If you make a prediction and the answer is infinite, then it tells you that there is something wrong with your prediction.
We have never seen infinity in the universe.
Maybe a black hole with an event horizon described by general relativity just isnt the proper description of the physics.
Quantum mechanicsis a fundamental theory inphysicsthat provides a description of the physical properties ofnatureat the scale ofatomsandsubatomic particles.
Stephen Hawkings black hole time machine proposal to NASA [REVEALED]Stonehenge breakthrough: Julius Caesar letter exposes secret [VIDEOAntarctica discovery: Century-old letter reveals shock find [PICTURES]
Leading astronomer and assistant director for Science Communication at NASAs Goddard Space Flight Centre, Michelle Thaller, explained why it is key to the debate.
She said in 2018: Have you ever thought about the term quantum mechanics and what those terms actually mean?
Everything in the universe is broken up into tiny units and there is a basic unit of energy, time and space that cannot be divided any smaller.
There is a limit to how small those things can be.
The smallest unit in the universe is what is known as a Planck Length to physicists.
But if there is a universal limit on the smallest size, then somethinginfinitelysmall cannot exist, according to some scientists.
Quantum mechanics expert Sean Carroll explained: If infinity doesnt exist, then singularities dont exist.
And if singularities dont exist, then Einsteins theory of General Relativity is not correct.
The simplest thing we can do is change some equations, change his theory of gravity.
Lets invent what we would call exotic speculative physics.
This has led scientists to invent the theory of the Planck Star.
Passing one in space would look like a black hole, but without a point of singularity at its core.
The star is just like a black hole, but it obeys the rules of quantum mechanics.
Physicist Max Tegmark detailed the new theory that has been proposed.
He said: Maybe things can be collapsed down to less than the Planck Length, or maybe you get stuck with a Planck-sized nugget.
It stabilises everything, keeps everything finite.
The reason why there are so many alternatives to black holes is because you can write down a gazillion different postulated mysterious new kinds of matter and say this exists, so maybe that explains the data.
The problem is there is no evidence that any of that kind of stuff exists.
Here is the original post:
- Quantum Time Twist Offers a Way to Create Schrdinger's Clock - Scientific American - October 24th, 2020
- Quantum Tunnels Show How Particles Can Break the Speed of Light - Quanta Magazine - October 24th, 2020
- A New Timekeeping Theory Reconciles Einstein's Relativity and Quantum Clocks - Science Times - October 24th, 2020
- Could Schrdingers cat exist in real life? We propose an experiment to find out - Scroll.in - October 24th, 2020
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Physics job with THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG | 230760 - Times Higher Education (THE) - October 24th, 2020
- Province gives $11.8M to U of C for quantum research, other projects - Calgary Herald - October 24th, 2020
- Physicists clock the fastest possible speed of sound - Live Science - October 24th, 2020
- Column: A new era of electric vehicles could be on the way - Gainesville Times - October 24th, 2020
- Beyond Homo Sapiens A Slightly Different Roll of the Darwinian Dice (Weekend Feature) - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - October 24th, 2020
- Diamonds Are a Quantum Scientist's Best Friend: Discovery May Revolutionize the High-Tech Industry - SciTechDaily - October 24th, 2020
- The many paths of muon math | symmetry magazine - Symmetry magazine - October 24th, 2020
- Sumit Das to Deliver 2019-20 A&S Distinguished Professor Lecture on 'Deconstructing Space-Time' - UKNow - October 24th, 2020
- Of Science, Philosophy and Revelation - Greater Kashmir - October 24th, 2020
- In Waterloo they're looking for nature's deepest and weirdest secrets - National Observer - October 24th, 2020
- Max Planck and the Birth of Quantum Mechanics - SciTechDaily - October 15th, 2020
- Reality Does Not Depend on the Measurer According to New Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics - SciTechDaily - October 15th, 2020
- Bringing the promise of quantum computing to nuclear physics - MSUToday - October 15th, 2020
- Could Schrdinger's cat exist in real life? Our research may soon provide the answer - The Conversation AU - October 15th, 2020
- A Force From Nothing Used to Control and Manipulate Objects - SciTechDaily - October 15th, 2020
- Facebook and Carnegie Mellon launch project to discover better ways to store renewable energy - VentureBeat - October 15th, 2020
- The Week of October 12, 2020 - FYI: Science Policy News - October 15th, 2020
- Analyst: Holding Company Sentiment Has Gone From 'Cautiously Optimistic' To 'Apathetic,' IPG To Lead The Group 10/14/2020 - MediaPost Communications - October 15th, 2020
- Book review: 'The Book of Two Ways' | Features | telegraphherald.com - telegraphherald.com - September 27th, 2020
- Book Review: Six Impossible Things, By John Gribbbin - Forbes - September 27th, 2020
- Honeywells Tony Uttley And The Quest For Quantum - Forbes - September 27th, 2020
- New on the book shelf: Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020 - Kankakee Daily Journal - September 27th, 2020
- Photon-recoil imaging: Expanding the view of nonlinear x-ray physics - Science Magazine - September 27th, 2020
- Physicists Play With the Laws of Nature: Controlling Ultrastrong Light-Matter Coupling at Room Temperature - SciTechDaily - September 27th, 2020
- GPT-3s bigotry is exactly why devs shouldnt use the internet to train AI - The Next Web - September 27th, 2020
- This researcher is getting others ready for a quantum world - Siliconrepublic.com - September 24th, 2020
- What is Nanoscience? | Outlook and How to Invest | INN - Investing News Network - September 24th, 2020
- Hybrid lightmatter particles offer tantalising new way to control chemistry - Chemistry World - September 15th, 2020
- NTT Research and University of Notre Dame Collaborate to Explore Continuous-Time Analog Computing - Business Wire - September 15th, 2020
- New quantum paradox throws the foundations of observed reality into question - Space.com - September 12th, 2020
- Breakthrough Prize Awarded to University of Texas at Austin Researcher - UT News - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - September 12th, 2020
- When We Cease to Understand the World by Benjamn Labatut review the dark side of science - The Guardian - September 12th, 2020
- Unlocking the mysteries of superconductivity | Stanford News - Stanford University News - September 12th, 2020
- The CSIC obtains seven ERC Starting Grants to study topics such as the evolution, the human brain and exoplanets - Science Business - September 12th, 2020
- Research Fellow in Quantum Spin Hall Spintronics job with UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS | 225312 - Times Higher Education (THE) - September 12th, 2020
- New Proposal Arises for The Theory Of Everything, Reconciling Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity - Webby Feed - September 12th, 2020
- U of T physicists discover that quantum tunnelling is not instantaneous - Varsity - September 8th, 2020
- What Erwin Schrdinger Said About the Upanishads - The Wire Science - September 8th, 2020
- Physics is stuck and needs another Einstein to revolutionize it, physicist Avi Loeb says - Salon - September 8th, 2020
- Our quantum internet breakthrough could help make hacking a thing of the past - GCN.com - September 8th, 2020
- Mechanism Proposed to Explain Resilience of Superconductors to Magnetic Fields - AZoQuantum - September 8th, 2020
- If you flew your spaceship through a wormhole, could you make it out alive? Maybe... - SYFY WIRE - September 2nd, 2020
- Quantum Physics May Upend Our Macroscopic Reality In The Universe - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Despite the Hype, There's No Proof of a Parallel Universe Now. Powered by - Now. Powered by Northrop Grumman. - September 2nd, 2020
- Science with Sam: Is our reality just one part of a multiverse? - New Scientist News - September 2nd, 2020
- New Quantum Toolbox Helps Extend Theory Behind Electron-Light Interactions - AZoQuantum - September 2nd, 2020
- Two Pune Research Institutes Are Building Indias First Optical Atomic Clocks - The Wire - September 2nd, 2020
- Intel ups the ante on quantum computing research - IT-Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Armenian President on how Bach and quantum physics inspire him in the fight against Covid-19 - Public Radio of Armenia - August 29th, 2020
- As for each physicists, there is a new quantum paradox, there is a casting of doubt on the pillar of reality... - The Queens County Citizen - August 29th, 2020
- Physicists may have found a way to create traversable wormholes - ZME Science - August 29th, 2020
- Bill and Ted 'Face the Music' in their latest movie, as we all have to eventually - NBC News - August 29th, 2020
- How to use Steams new chat filters to block profanity and slurs - The Next Web - August 29th, 2020
- A continent works to grow its stake in quantum computing - University World News - August 28th, 2020
- Physics - Letters to the EditorAugust 26, 2020 - Physics - August 28th, 2020
- Science with Sam: What is a black hole? And could you survive one? - New Scientist News - August 28th, 2020
- A new quantum paradox throws the foundations of observed reality into question - The Conversation AU - August 24th, 2020
- A Meta-Theory of Physics Could Explain Life, the Universe, Computation, and More - Gizmodo - August 24th, 2020
- New Microsoft program to help develop the quantum computing workforce of the future in India - Microsoft - August 24th, 2020
- Constructor Theory Could Explain Life, Universe, and Existence - Science Times - August 24th, 2020
- How Physics Erases The Beginning Of The Universe - Forbes - August 24th, 2020
- Next Generation Jammer Mid-Band takes to the skies for Growler flight testing - PRNewswire - August 24th, 2020
- MIP* = RE this is not a typo, it's a breakthrough shaking up world of physics and maths - ThePrint - August 24th, 2020
- 5 esoteric science papers to take your mind off the global hellscape - The Next Web - August 24th, 2020
- Theory of Everything? One of These Theories Could Explain the Very Nature of Our Universe... Maybe - Interesting Engineering - August 24th, 2020
- Dr Katie Mack on how the Universe is going to end - BBC Focus Magazine - August 24th, 2020
- Quantum mechanics is immune to the butterfly effect - The Economist - August 16th, 2020
- Major quantum computational breakthrough is shaking up physics and maths - The Conversation UK - August 16th, 2020
- 6 new degrees approved, including graduate degrees in biostatistics and quantum information science: News at IU - IU Newsroom - August 16th, 2020
- Students in the news | Announcements - Indiana Gazette - August 16th, 2020
- A time traveler's guide to the end of the universe - The Next Web - August 16th, 2020
- Physicists watch quantum particles tunnel through solid barriers. Here's what they found. - Space.com - August 12th, 2020
- This is the way the universe ends: not with a whimper, but a bang - Science Magazine - August 12th, 2020
- Quantum Computing for the Next Generation of Computer Scientists and Researchers - Campus Technology - August 12th, 2020
- Here's why we need to build a quantum security coalition - World Economic Forum - August 12th, 2020
- Quantum-safe security firm evolutionQ awarded contribution from Canada Space Agency for Quantum Key Distribution (QKD) Network Research and... - August 12th, 2020