Santa Claus is preparing for his journey around the world after being given clearance from the Government for international travel during the pandemic.
Mr Claus is classed as an essential worker and is exempt from Covid-19 quarantine restrictions.
Now, Irish researchers investigating how he delivers billions of presents in the space of one night are advising children to go to bed early, to avoid catching a glimpse of Mr Claus and jeopardising his operation.
Michael Fitzgerald, air traffic controller based in Shannon, said conditions are looking good for a safe journey this evening.
The good news is that the weather forecast for tonight is good, clear skies, dry, he said.
The controllers, as they do every year, will make sure that Santas arrival is well looked after, well make sure that the air space is clear, all the airplanes are out of the way and he can continue on his path for the night.
Mr Fitzgerald said Mr Claus usually arrives in Ireland on the west coast first:Tonight now, just after midnight usually, we would be keeping an eye out for him, and hes usually coming straight in off the west coast deep out over the Atlantic, you see him coming in roughly in the the direction from Iceland.
With Mr Claus set to deliver presents to 2.2 billion children around the world over the next 24 hours, researchers at Trinity have put their heads together to figure out how he does it.
The newest theory, according to Professor John Goold and Dr Mark Mitchison, is that Mr Claus is using quantum mechanics to deliver his gifts.
The researchers say that, in a nutshell,quantum mechanics allows objects, including Santa and his reindeer, to be in many places at the same time.
It is this key ingredient that allows for his extraordinarily efficient delivery on Christmas Eve.
We advise children the world over to go to bed early on Christmas Eve and suggest they dont try to catch a glimpse of him and risk collapsing his merry superposition
There is little doubt now to quantum physicists that Santa is exploiting what we know as macroscopic quantum coherence, which is precisely the same resource used by cutting-edge quantum technologies to outperform technologies based on classical physics, Prof Goold, Assistant Professor in Physics at Trinity said.
Although researchers now believe Mr Claus uses quantum physics to bring gifts to all the children in the world on the same night, they still do not understand exactly how he does it.
When we observe a quantum object, we only ever find it in one place at a time. This tells us that superpositions are very fragile. Just looking at them causes them to collapse, which means the object ends up in just one place and all the other possibilities vanish, Dr Mark Mitchisonsaid.
We are pretty sure that Santa has developed some advanced technology to protect his quantum superposition and stop such a collapse from ruining Christmas.
But just in case we advise children the world over to go to bed earlyon Christmas Eveand suggest they dont try to catch a glimpse of him and risk collapsing his merry superposition!
Read more from the original source:
- The windswept German island that inspired quantum physics - Spectator.co.uk - April 8th, 2021
- A Tiny Particles Wobble Could Upend the Known Laws of Physics - The New York Times - April 8th, 2021
- New computing algorithms expand the boundaries of a quantum future - Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory - April 8th, 2021
- Quantum Computing Revolution: Is it the next big thing? - Analytics Insight - April 8th, 2021
- Scientists Are Baffled By A Mysterious Particle That Defies Physics And Violates The Laws Of The Universe - BroBible - April 8th, 2021
- Officials Aim to Diversify the U.S. Quantum Workforce Early On - Nextgov - April 8th, 2021
- Searching for New Physics in the Subatomic World - SciTechDaily - April 8th, 2021
- Herms collaborates with artists on Watches and Wonders 2021 scenography - Wallpaper* - April 8th, 2021
- Quantum Physics to Disrupt Geospatial Industry over the Coming Decade - GIM International - April 4th, 2021
- The mystery of the muon's magnetism | symmetry magazine - Symmetry magazine - April 4th, 2021
- 6 Quantum Computing Stocks to Invest in This Decade - Investment U - April 4th, 2021
- Can science explain the mystery of consciousness? - The Irish Times - April 4th, 2021
- 'Spacekime theory' could speed up research and heal the rift in physics - Big Think - April 4th, 2021
- Where did the antimatter go? - The Express Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- Small things misbehaving leads to the greatest question of all - Spectator.co.uk - April 4th, 2021
- Ultracold Quantum Collisions Have Been Achieved in Space for the First Time - Scientific American - March 23rd, 2021
- I'm Agonizing over My Naive Realism - Scientific American - March 23rd, 2021
- Six fabulous facts about the Standard Model - Symmetry magazine - March 23rd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency: Can it be climate conscious, and if so, how? - Landscape News - March 23rd, 2021
- Physicists Create Quasiparticles That Bind Together Two Differently Colored Particles of Light - SciTechDaily - March 6th, 2021
- Element Sixs DNV-B1 Announced Winner for the Quantum Category at the 13th Edition of the SPIE Prism Awards - AZoM - March 6th, 2021
- Tech that sees through the earth could help build cities of the future - The Times - March 6th, 2021
- Physicists Just Found 4 New Subatomic Particles That May Test The Laws of Nature - ScienceAlert - March 6th, 2021
- Living in a simulation: Is Universe a Neural Network? - The Indian Wire - March 6th, 2021
- This Is the Fastest Random-Number Generator Ever Built - Scientific American - March 4th, 2021
- Physics - The Tiniest Superfluid Circuit in Nature - Physics - March 4th, 2021
- New research indicates the whole universe could be a giant neural network - The Next Web - March 4th, 2021
- New History of the Physics Department by Raj Gupta and Paul Sharrah Published - University of Arkansas Newswire - March 4th, 2021
- International Business Machines : The Decade of Quantum Computing Is Upon Us, IBM Executive Says - Marketscreener.com - March 4th, 2021
- Quantum Tunneling in Graphene Advances the Age of High Speed Terahertz Wireless Communications - SciTechDaily - March 4th, 2021
- Subtle quantum phenomenon found to alter chemical reactivity for the first time - Chemistry World - March 4th, 2021
- Physicists believe faster-than-light travel is indeed possible with new warp drive - ZME Science - March 4th, 2021
- Exclusive! Ashwin Sanghi on his dream to cast Sushant Singh Rajput in 'Keepers Of The Kalachakra' series: He was like an excited child when it came to... - March 4th, 2021
- Can god be disproved using the laws of physics? An expert explains how it depends on perspective - Scroll.in - March 4th, 2021
- Global Quantum Computing Technologies Market will grow to at CAGR 15.89% from 2020 to 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - March 4th, 2021
- Quantum Technology Innovation Hub to transform local businesses - University of Birmingham - March 4th, 2021
- And So It Begins Quantum Physicists Create a New Universe With Its Own Rules - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - February 18th, 2021
- Quantum Theory May Twist Cause And Effect Into Loops, With Effect Causing The Cause - ScienceAlert - February 18th, 2021
- Extracting information stored in 100,000 nuclear quantum bits - Advanced Science News - February 18th, 2021
- Light and a Single Electron Used to Detect Quantum Information Stored in 100,000 Nuclear Quantum Bits - SciTechDaily - February 18th, 2021
- IBM Adds Future Developer And Software Details To Its Quantum Roadmap - Forbes - February 18th, 2021
- Physics - A Superconducting Qubit that Protects Itself - Physics - February 18th, 2021
- Black Quantum Futurism receives the Knight Foundations new art and technology fellowship - WHYY - February 18th, 2021
- Resolving to read more in 2021 - Powell Tribune - February 18th, 2021
- Warp Drives Are No Longer Science Fiction - Applied Physics - Business Wire - February 18th, 2021
- RI local and star of 'Ghost Hunters' + 'Kindred Spirits' on her search for the paranormal - The Providence Journal - February 18th, 2021
- Quantum Theory Proposes That Cause and Effect Can Go In Loops - Universe Today - February 14th, 2021
- The search for dark matter gets a speed boost from quantum technology - The Conversation US - February 14th, 2021
- A Magnetic Twist to Graphene Could Offer a Dramatic Increase in Processing Speeds Compared to Electronics - SciTechDaily - February 14th, 2021
- Yale Quantum Institute Co-sponsored Event - Alternative Realities for the Living - Quantum Physics & Fiction - Yale News - February 14th, 2021
- In Violation of Einstein, Black Holes Might Have 'Hair' - Quanta Magazine - February 14th, 2021
- Scientists narrow down the 'weight' of dark matter trillions of trillions of times - Livescience.com - February 5th, 2021
- Switching Nanolight On and Off | Columbia News - Columbia University - February 5th, 2021
- Photoelectric effect of physics in technology - The National - February 5th, 2021
- Quantum Physics Story Helgoland to Be Adapted by Fremantles The Apartment, CAM Film (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety - February 2nd, 2021
- 29 Scientists Came Together in the "Most Intelligent Photo" Ever Taken - My Modern Met - February 2nd, 2021
- Silence your stoner friends with this video of a room entirely constructed out of mirrors - The A.V. Club - February 2nd, 2021
- Valuable contributor to society - The Tribune India - February 2nd, 2021
- A Zoom with a view: Wintersession offers a virtual journey from the kitchen to Hollywood - Princeton University - February 2nd, 2021
- IBMs top executive says, quantum computers will never reign supreme over classical ones - The Hindu - January 31st, 2021
- Tech 24 - Welcome to the quantum era - FRANCE 24 - January 31st, 2021
- Physicists Are Reinventing the Laser - Gizmodo - January 31st, 2021
- Record-Breaking Source for Single Photons Developed That Can Produce Billions of Quantum Particles per Second - SciTechDaily - January 31st, 2021
- How Universes Might Bubble Up and Collide - WIRED - January 31st, 2021
- Insiders say Comedy Central's top creative executives tokenized employees of color and fostered an environment - Business Insider India - January 31st, 2021
- Copperizing the Complexity of Superconductivity - Newswise - January 31st, 2021
- The Convergence of Internet of Things and Quantum Computing - BBN Times - January 31st, 2021
- Who You Really Are And Why It Matters | Practical Ethics - Practical Ethics - January 31st, 2021
- Improving LIDAR and GPS: Breaking Through the Resolution Barrier With Quantum-Limited Precision - SciTechDaily - January 18th, 2021
- Amy Noelle Parks Brings The Romance of Math and Science To YA - The Nerd Daily - January 18th, 2021
- Surprising Discovery of Unexpected Quantum Behavior in Insulators Suggests Existence of Entirely New Type of Particle - SciTechDaily - January 18th, 2021
- If Wormholes Are Lurking in Our Universe, This Is How We Could Find Them - ScienceAlert - January 18th, 2021
- New quantum technology projects to solve mysteries of the universe - Open Access Government - January 14th, 2021
- Exploring the unanswered questions of our universe with quantum technologies - University of Birmingham - January 14th, 2021
- Wormholes may be lurking in the universe and new studies are proposing ways of finding them - The Conversation UK - January 14th, 2021
- University of Sheffield to lead multi-million pound project which could open up a new frontier in physics - University of Sheffield News - January 14th, 2021
- Raytheon UK part of team transforming the Royal Navy's technology, training and learning solutions - PRNewswire - January 14th, 2021
- Optical selection and sorting of nanoparticles according to quantum mechanical properties - Science Advances - January 14th, 2021
- The unhackable computers that could revolutionize the future - CNN - January 8th, 2021
- Birds Have a Mysterious 'Quantum Sense'. For The First Time, Scientists Saw It in Action - ScienceAlert - January 8th, 2021