In the last two weeks, Ether (ETH) price increased by 75% as the price rallied from $222 to $400. Many investors believe Ethers momentum is buoying the entire market, and possibly even pushing Bitcoin (BTC) upwards.
ETH-USD daily chart. Source: TradingView.com
Three factors that appear to be triggering the strong Ether rally are: DeFi, ETH 2.0, and the current prolonged rally taking place in the altcoin market.
Since mid-June, the total value locked in decentralized finance (DeFi) protocols has continuously surged. The launch of protocol-specific tokens, like Compounds COMP as an example, led to growing demand for DeFi.
Eventually, users discovered a phenomenon called yield farming, which involves users searching for higher yields in the DeFi market and switching from one protocol to another to obtain incentives.
The explosive growth of the DeFi market in a short period led many DeFi-connected tokens to surge rapidly. In July, investors seemingly sold off DeFi tokens and other small market cap altcoins, moving back to Ether and Bitcoin.
On August 1 Ether price reached a 2-year high as it surged to $395 on BitMEX but this has traders warning against a potential pullback. In fact, crypto-trader Edward Morra said:
Yeah, parabola coming out of another parabola is a sight to behold tbh. Also, this isn't sustainable and will correct. If you are new to this space - buy dips, don't FOMO at the top.
A consistent positive factor that supports the upward momentum of Ether is the anticipation for ETH 2.0. In August, Ethereum developers expect to launch the final testnet of ETH 2.0 called Medalla.
When fully launched, ETH 2.0 would gradually eliminate miners from the network and reward users for participating in the network. The incentive system would enable users to earn a yield on their Ether holdings over a long period.
Kelvin Koh, the co-founder of a venture capital Spartan Black, recently suggested that every phase of Ether would strengthen Ethereum. Koh said:
Every phase of ETH 2.0 over the next 2-3 years brings Ethereum closer to its final state and will be catalysts for ETH.
The Ether and Bitcoin rally over the last three days coincided with a drop-off in altcoin prices. In the near-term, the cycle of profit taking could continue if altcoins see regular uptrends.
In previous bull markets, major cryptocurrencies and small altcoins showed an inverse correlation, meaning, as the price of Bitcoin surged, altcoin values dropped.
The opposite remains true when Bitcoin price is stable or consolidating. This creates a cycle that causes BTC and ETH to benefit from multiple profit-taking rallies.
Satoshi Flipper, a popular trader on Twitter, suggested that in the longer-term there is a key resistance for Ether at $780.
ETH-USD 1-week chart. Source: Satoshi Flipper
It remains to be seen whether the confluence of ETH 2.0, profit-taking rallies, and DeFi growth could push Ether price to higher resistance areas. For now, the sentiment around the altcoin generally remains positive in the medium-term.
- Bitcoin SV Price Analysis: BSV/USD takes the altcoin rally a notch higher, approaching $250 - FXStreet - August 2nd, 2020
- DataDash: Two Crypto Newcomers Will Surge Alongside Bitcoin, Ethereum and XRP in New Bull Cycle - The Daily Hodl - August 2nd, 2020
- As Altcoin Season Presses on, Whats Next for Crypto Futures? - Finance Magnates - July 31st, 2020
- Altcoin Price Analysis Bitcoin Cash, Tezos and IOTA: BCH/USD and IOT/USD look to break past key levels - FXStreet - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Touched $11,400, Altcoin Season Over? - CryptoPotato - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin Struggles At $11,000: Altcoins Starting To Regain Momentum? - CryptoPotato - July 31st, 2020
- Litecoin spikes 10% to lead top altcoin gains today | CoinJournal.net - CoinJournal - July 31st, 2020
- As Bitcoin tops $11,000 level, investor interest in India on the rise - Livemint - July 31st, 2020
- Long Gold, and Long Cryptos - InvestorPlace - July 31st, 2020
- Cardano and Litecoin Lead the Altcoin Market - Somag News - July 27th, 2020
- Top Analyst Bullish on Ethereum and Five Altcoins, Says Bitcoin Wont Lead Surge in Crypto Market Cap - The Daily Hodl - July 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Analyst Says Crypto Traders Who Ignore Two Emerging Trends Will Miss Out, Warns Altcoins Set for Pullback - The Daily Hodl - July 27th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 validator testnet goes live: ETH Research Team - AMBCrypto - July 27th, 2020
- Altcoin Market Update: Akropolis and Ocean Protocol are unstoppable lately thanks to DeFi bull... - Forex Crunch - July 27th, 2020
- Prominent Bitcoin Whale Predicts Mass Altcoin Extinction Ahead of Next BTC Rally - The Daily Hodl - July 5th, 2020
- PrimeXBT Comparison: Will DeFi Defy The ICO-Fueled Ethereum All-Time High? - Ethereum World News - July 4th, 2020
- These Altcoins Set a New ATH While Bitcoin And Ethereum Tank | NewsBTC - newsBTC - July 4th, 2020
- Renowned analyst predicts Bitcoin to outperform altcoins in 2021 - FXStreet - July 4th, 2020
- Ouroboros, as explained by IOHK researchers - Altcoin Buzz - July 4th, 2020
- XRP Price Can Outperform Bitcoin in the Short Term Heres Why - Cointelegraph - July 4th, 2020
- Ethereum, Chainlink and Tezos price analysis: June 28 - AMBCrypto - June 29th, 2020
- This top-30 altcoin is integrating with Chainlink (LINK) for bolstering smart contract ecosystem - CryptoSlate - June 29th, 2020
- Brutal Drop In Altcoins Anticipated as Bitcoin Dominance Projected to Surge | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 29th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Near New All-Time High Heres 3 Reasons for the Rally - Cointelegraph - June 29th, 2020
- Pantera Capital: Bitcoin Set to Begin Meteoric Bull Run But Ethereum and Certain Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 29th, 2020
- Most traded crypto in June 2020: are we in the altcoin season? - Capital.com - June 20th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Altcoin season just around the corner - FXStreet - June 20th, 2020
- Top Crypto Strategist Predicts Bitcoin (BTC) Will Surpass $20,000 in Just Two Months With Ethereum Leading Next Altcoin Rally - The Daily Hodl - June 17th, 2020
- Liquidations May Loom as Altcoin Bulls Hold Despite Shorts Spiking - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Tether.io becomes second largest altcoin behind Ethereum tokens - HedgeWeek - June 13th, 2020
- ETH Miners Will Have Little Choice Once Ethereum 2.0 Launches With PoS - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Sparks fly as developer suggests an altcoin will overtake Bitcoin in the next five years - CryptoSlate - June 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price To Hit $150,000; Ethereum At $9,000 In Next Bull Run, Blockfyre Founder Predicts - International Business Times - June 9th, 2020
- Despite Its Recent Controversy, This is the Latest Altcoin Ready to Moon - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - June 9th, 2020
- Why An Even Deeper Correction Is Expected For The Crypto Markets Hottest Altcoin | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 8th, 2020
- Analyst Predicts Next Bull Run Will Send Bitcoin to $150K and Ether to $9K - Cointelegraph - June 8th, 2020
- Venture Capitalist Predicts Bitcoin Boom to $150,000, Says Ethereum and Four Altcoins Will Outperform BTC - The Daily Hodl - June 8th, 2020
- Stocks aren't the only asset climbing - InvestorPlace - June 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Undeveloped Nations - Altcoin Buzz - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Binance Coin, Algorand Price Analysis: 03 June - AMBCrypto English - June 8th, 2020
- Ethereum looks bullish as its fees surpassed BTC's on June 7 - CoinJournal - June 8th, 2020
- Crypto Index Analysis: Boosted by altcoin breakout - Capital.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Ethereums price rush may run out of steam - AMBCrypto English - June 2nd, 2020
- ETH showing strong signals as EOS and XRP likely to regress - CoinJournal - June 2nd, 2020
- Cardano and Ethereum Price Surge Alongside Bitcoin Will XLM Follow? - Cointelegraph - June 1st, 2020
- Ethereum Chart Makes It Clear: Altcoin Season Is Already Over | NewsBTC - newsBTC - June 1st, 2020
- Max Keiser: There Isn't Anything Crypto Altcoins Do That Bitcoin Won't Do - Bitcoinist - June 1st, 2020
- Altcoins Outpace Bitcoin in Broad Crypto Rally: Cardano and Ethereum Biggest Gainers - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Are Altcoins Silver To Bitcoin As Gold? Unusual Correlation Discovered | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 20th, 2020
- Polkadot: The Interoperable Blockchain Network - Altcoin Projects - Altcoin Buzz - May 20th, 2020
- Beware: this altcoins price action could be part of a pump and dump scheme - CryptoSlate - May 18th, 2020
- Is Tezos rapid progress a threat to both Bitcoin and Ethereum? - AMBCrypto English - May 18th, 2020
- XTZ Price Analysis: Bears Take a Breather on XTZ/USD As Price Swings Past $2.6, Tezos Becomes 2020 Altcoin With STO Pipeline Projects - Latest Crypto... - May 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash struggles with negative pressure, while VET & LINK trend higher - AMBCrypto - May 15th, 2020
- Stellar Cryptocurrency Prints a TD9: Heres Why It Means More Upside is Likely - newsBTC - May 15th, 2020
- As Halving Nears, Ethereum (ETH) Stands More Chances Amid Altcoins - KryptoMoney - May 12th, 2020
- Heres Why Altcoins Bouncing as Bitcoin Retraced From $10K Is Bullish - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Crypto scams are on the rise: 5 ways to avoid them - Livemint - May 11th, 2020
- Ethereum, Stellar Lumens, VET bounce back as alts resist corrections - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus & Altcoins: Why are Some Crypto Assets Beating Bitcoin? - Finance Magnates - May 5th, 2020
- Binance Widget Incorporated on Brave Browser - Altcoin Buzz - May 5th, 2020
- Altcoins Face The Most Important Weekly Close in Crypto History - newsBTC - May 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Analyst: Bitcoin (BTC) Selloff Coming Heres Why Ethereum (ETH), XRP and Altcoin Market May Rise in Short Term - The Daily Hodl - May 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Yearly Moving Average Price Closes in on All-Time High - BeInCrypto - May 2nd, 2020
- Altcoins Could Get Crushed By BTC Halving Volatility, Heres Why - newsBTC - April 29th, 2020
- XRP, XLM, and ADA Win Big as Bitcoin Speculators Turn to Altcoins - ZyCrypto - April 29th, 2020
- 7 Explosive Cryptocurrencies to Buy for the Bitcoin Halvening - Investorplace.com - April 29th, 2020
- Neo (NEO) Bulls Again Going Against The Resistance Of $9.00 With Strong Pace - The Coin Republic - April 29th, 2020
- Accurate Crypto Sell Signal Issued For Two Top Performing Altcoins - newsBTC - April 26th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why XRP is Unlikely to Benefit From Ongoing Altcoin Surge - Bitcoinist - April 26th, 2020
- Litecoin News Today - Litecoin LTC Climbs to $42 As Altcoin Market Resumes Recovery - April 23rd, 2020 - Smartereum - April 26th, 2020
- Ethereum [ETH] Makes 95% of the Altcoin Inflows in Q1 to Grayscale Trust Fund - Coingape - April 26th, 2020
- Chainlink, Ethereum lead altcoin recovery effort as BAT stalls - AMBCrypto English - April 26th, 2020
- Dogecoin (DOGE) Price Analysis: Dogecoin Price Shows Sustainability Over $0.0020 To Avoid Break Below The ... - The Coin Republic - April 26th, 2020
- Crypto Billionaire Says One Altcoin Reminds Him of Bitcoin and Ethereums Early Days - The Daily Hodl - April 20th, 2020
- 420 Day in Crypto: Remembering the Class of Altcoins That Went Up in Smoke - Bitcoinist - April 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Halving: Can Ripple (XRP), Litecoin and other altcoins benefit? - Crypto News Flash - April 20th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0 Precursor Topaz Testnet Released - Product Release & Updates - Altcoin Buzz - April 20th, 2020
- Why tokens are not the same thing as Bitcoin - CoinGeek - April 20th, 2020
- Basic Attention Token Price Negative Move To Reach $0.15 Support Level - The Coin Republic - April 20th, 2020