Heres an overview of some of last weeks most interesting news, articles, interviews and reviews:
Attackers are exploiting Cisco ASA/FTD flaw in search for sensitive dataAn unauthenticated file read vulnerability (CVE-2020-3452) affecting Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA) and Firepower Threat Defense (FTD) software is being exploited by attackers in the wild.
Researchers find critical RCE vulnerabilities in industrial VPN solutionsCritical vulnerabilities in several industrial VPN implementations for remotely accessing operational technology (OT) networks could allow attackers to overwrite data, execute malicious code or commands, cause a DoS condition, and more.
Twitter employees were spear-phished over the phoneTwitter has finally shared more details about how the perpetrators of the recent hijacking of high-profile accounts to push a Bitcoin scam managed to pull it off. Also, three alleged perpetrators have been identified.
Review: Cyber Warfare Truth, Tactics, and StrategiesMany future battles will be fought with cyber weapons, narrowing the resources and capabilities gap that long existed between rich and poor nations. All of them can now effectively bring their enemy down.
Public cloud environments leave numerous paths open for exploitationCloud estates are being breached through their weakest links of neglected internet-facing workloads, widespread authentication issues, discoverable secrets and credentials, and misconfigured storage buckets.
62,000 QNAP NAS devices infected with persistent QSnatch malwareThere are approximately 62,000 malware-infested QNAP NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices located across the globe spilling all the secrets they contain to unknown cyber actors, the US CISA and the UK NCSC have warned.
What are script-based attacks and what can be done to prevent them?In todays threat landscape, scripts provide initial access, enable evasion, and facilitate lateral movements post-infection.
How do I select an endpoint protection solution for my business?To select an appropriate endpoint protection solution for your business, you need to think about a variety of factors. Weve talked to several cybersecurity professionals to get their insight on the topic.
Lack of training, career development, and planning fuel the cybersecurity profession crisisThe cybersecurity skills crisis continues to worsen for the fourth year in a row and has impacted 70 percent of organizations, as revealed in a global study of cybersecurity professionals by ISSA and ESG.
Bug in widely used bootloader opens Windows, Linux devices to persistent compromiseA vulnerability (CVE-2020-10713) in the widely used GRUB2 bootloader opens most Linux and Windows systems in use today to persistent compromise.
Delivering and maintaining security at the speed of digital transformationDustin Rigg Hillard, CTO at eSentire, talks about modern digital threats, the challenges cybersecurity teams face, cloud-native security platforms, and more.
Security teams increasingly stressed due to lack of proper tools, executive support93% of security professionals lack the tools to detect known security threats, and 92% state they are still in need of the appropriate preventative solutions to close current security gaps, according to LogRhythm.
How well do face recognition algorithms identify people wearing masks?The answer, according to a preliminary study by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), is with great difficulty.
NIST selects algorithms to form a post-quantum cryptography standardAfter spending more than three years examining new approaches to encryption and data protection that could defeat an assault from a quantum computer, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has winnowed the 69 submissions it initially received down to a final group of 15.
Its time to tap the next generation of cyber defendersAs college graduates of the Class of 2020 enter the workforce, we welcome a new generation of cyber professionals.
Attackers have created a specialized economy around email account takeover
Things to consider when selecting enterprise SSDs for critical workloadsWe sat down with Scott Hamilton, Senior Director, Product Management, Data Center Systems at Western Digital, to learn more about SSDs and how they fit into current business environments and data centers.
Offensive Security acquires security training project VulnHubOffensive Security has acquired open source security training resource hub VulnHub. The acquisition is part of OffSecs ongoing mission to provide practical training content to aspiring cybersecurity professionals.
The distinction between human and bot behavior is becoming increasingly blurredAs consumers change their online habits, the distinction between human and bot behavior is becoming increasingly blurred, presenting cybersecurity teams with an even bigger challenge than before when it comes to differentiating humans from bots, and good bot behavior from bad.
What is privacy and why does it matter?Privacy is a basic right and a necessary protection in the digital age to avoid victimization and manipulation.
DeimosC2: Open source tool to manage post-exploitation issuesTEAMARES launched DeimosC2, addressing the market need for a cross-compatible, open source Command and Control (C2) tool for managing compromised machines that includes mobile support.
Qualys unveils Multi-Vector EDR, a new approach to endpoint detection and responseTaking a new multi-vector approach to Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR), Qualys now brings the unifying power of its highly scalable cloud platform to EDR.
New infosec products of the week: July 31, 2020A rundown of infosec products released last week.
- Quantum computing research helps IBM win top spot in patent race - CNET - January 14th, 2021
- Error Protected Quantum Bits Entangled: A Milestone in the Development of Fault-Tolerant Quantum Computers - SciTechDaily - January 14th, 2021
- You can find a $180K solar-powered car, qubit controls, and breathing tips at the NL Tech Pavilion at CES 2021 - TechRepublic - January 14th, 2021
- NSA Cites DoD Crypto Work in First-Ever Cybersecurity Year-End Report - MeriTalk - January 14th, 2021
- 'Magic' angle graphene and the creation of unexpected topological quantum states - Princeton University - December 15th, 2020
- Bringing Your Mainframe Into the Cloud Age - CMSWire - December 15th, 2020
- ASC20-21 Student Supercomputer Challenge Kickoff: Quantum Computing Simulations, AI Language Exam and Pulsar Searching with FAST - Business Wire - November 26th, 2020
- Virtual ICM Seminar with Hiroaki Kitano, 'Nobel Turing Challenge-Creating the Engine of Scientific Discovery' to Be Held Nov 26 - HPCwire - November 26th, 2020
- The Trillion-Transistor Chip That Just Left a Supercomputer in the Dust - Singularity Hub - November 26th, 2020
- Imperfections Lower the Simulation Cost of Quantum Computers - Physics - November 24th, 2020
- Is the blockchain vulnerable to hacking by quantum computers? - Moneyweb.co.za - November 24th, 2020
- Can a Computer Devise a Theory of Everything? - The New York Times - November 24th, 2020
- Cracking the Secrets of an Emerging Branch of Physics: Exotic Properties to Power Real-World Applications - SciTechDaily - November 24th, 2020
- Inside the Competition That Will Save Bitcoin From Quantum Computers - Decrypt - November 22nd, 2020
- Foreign policy expert: China is 'outstripping us' in technologies of the future - Brainerd Dispatch - November 22nd, 2020
- Cracking the secrets of an emerging branch of physics - MIT News - November 22nd, 2020
- #SpaceWatchGL Opinion: Quantum Technology and Impact of the Global Space Security - SpaceWatch.Global - November 22nd, 2020
- A Scoville Heat Scale For Measuring The Progress Of Emerging Technologies In 2021 - Forbes - November 22nd, 2020
- Democracies must team up to take on China in the technosphere - The Economist - November 22nd, 2020
- Honeywell fires up the H1, its second-generation quantum computer - CNET - November 2nd, 2020
- Quantum computers could soon reveal all of our secrets. The race is on to stop that happening - ZDNet - November 2nd, 2020
- Quantum Computing Expert Warns Governments May Be First to Crack Algorithms Keeping Bitcoin and the Internet Secure - The Daily Hodl - November 2nd, 2020
- Australia's Archer and its plan for quantum world domination - ZDNet - November 2nd, 2020
- Quantum Computing Is Bigger Than Donald Trump - WIRED - November 2nd, 2020
- Will Quantum Mechanics Produce the True Thinking Computer? - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - November 2nd, 2020
- Strategic Partnership will aid smooth work in the event of regional crisis: Australia High Commissioner - The Hindu - November 2nd, 2020
- Valuation of quantum computer maker D-Wave slashed by more than half after company struggles to raise financing - The Globe and Mail - October 27th, 2020
- 60-year-old limit to lasers overturned by quantum researchers - Griffith News - October 27th, 2020
- A Measured Approach to Regulating Fast-Changing Tech - Harvard Business Review - October 27th, 2020
- The Importance of Funding Quantum Physics, Even in a Pandemic - Inside Philanthropy - October 23rd, 2020
- Material found in paint may hold the key to a technological revolution - Advanced Science News - October 23rd, 2020
- What is Quantum Computing, and How does it Help Us? - Analytics Insight - October 13th, 2020
- QCE20: Here's what you can expect from Intel's new quantum computing research this week - Neowin - October 13th, 2020
- Canadian quantum computing firms partner to spread the technology - IT World Canada - October 13th, 2020
- Ten-year Forecasts for Quantum Networking Opportunities and Deployments Over the Coming Decade - WFMZ Allentown - October 13th, 2020
- Berkeley Lab Technologies Honored With 7 R&D 100 Awards - Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory - October 5th, 2020
- IBM Partners With HBCUs to Diversify Quantum Computing Workforce - Diverse: Issues in Higher Education - September 25th, 2020
- IBM, Alphabet and well-funded startups in the race for quantum supremacy - IT Brief Australia - September 25th, 2020
- How This Bangalore Based Startup Is Driving Innovation With Quantum Technology-Based Products - Analytics India Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- New faculty add to Yale's strength in applied mathematics - Yale News - September 25th, 2020
- NU receives $115 million federal grant to research and develop beyond state-of-the-art quantum computer - Daily Northwestern - September 24th, 2020
- IBM Just Committed to Having a Functioning 1,000 Qubit Quantum Computer by 2023 - ScienceAlert - September 24th, 2020
- IBM plans to build a 1121 qubit system. What does this technology mean? - The Hindu - September 24th, 2020
- Extending the life of the qubit | Temple Now - Temple University News - September 24th, 2020
- OSTP, NSF, DoE, and IBM make major push to strengthen research in AI and quantum - BlackEngineer.com - September 24th, 2020
- Heres why quantum computing is a cat among the pigeons - BusinessLine - September 12th, 2020
- The Hyperion-insideHPC Interviews: ORNL Distinguished Scientist Travis Humble on Coupling Classical and Quantum Computing - insideHPC - September 12th, 2020
- Oxford Instruments Partners With The 10 Million Consortium, To Launch The First Commercial Quantum Computer In UK - AZoNano - September 10th, 2020
- Combinations of new technologies will upend finance - The Australian Financial Review - September 10th, 2020
- Quantum Computing Market Analysis by Growth, segmentation, performance, Competitive Strategies and Forecast to 2026 - Galus Australis - September 10th, 2020
- The Quantum Dream: Are We There Yet? - Toolbox - September 7th, 2020
- 17 extremely useful productivity tips from this years 40 Under 40 - Yahoo Finance UK - September 7th, 2020
- How Amazon Quietly Powers The Internet - Forbes - September 7th, 2020
- Study Expands Types of Physics, Engineering Problems That Can Be Solved by Quantum Computers - HPCwire - September 4th, 2020
- New evidence that the quantum world is even stranger than we thought - Purdue News Service - September 4th, 2020
- How Andersen Cheng plans to defend against the quantum computer - The Independent - September 4th, 2020
- Quantum computer to be hosted in Abingdon - ClickLancashire - September 4th, 2020
- Assistant director of NSFs Computer and Information Science and Engineering to give virtual talk Sept. 11 - Vanderbilt University News - September 4th, 2020
- Fermilab to lead $115 million National Quantum Information Science Research Center to build revolutionary quantum computer with Rigetti Computing,... - August 29th, 2020
- I confess, I'm scared of the next generation of supercomputers - TechRadar - August 29th, 2020
- Q-NEXT collaboration awarded National Quantum Initiative funding - University of Wisconsin-Madison - August 29th, 2020
- UArizona Scientists to Build What Einstein Wrote off as Science Fiction - UANews - August 29th, 2020
- Quantum leap? US plans for unhackable internet may not fructify within a decade, but India is far behind - The Financial Express - August 4th, 2020
- Google distinguished scientist Hartmut Neven is one of Fast Company's - Fast Company - August 4th, 2020
- Quantum physicists say time travelers don't have to worry about the butterfly effect - The Next Web - August 2nd, 2020
- New UC-led institute awarded $25M to explore potential of quantum computing and train a future workforce - University of California - July 31st, 2020
- The future of encryption: Getting ready for the quantum computer attack - TechRepublic - July 31st, 2020
- IBM and University of Tokyo team up for Quantum Innovation Initiative Consortium - SmartPlanet.com - July 31st, 2020
- 'Butterfly effect' is wrong and reality can 'heal itself', quantum scientists find in time travel experiment - The Independent - July 31st, 2020
- Research: the butterfly effect does not exist in the quantum model - FREE NEWS - July 31st, 2020
- Solving problems by working together: Could quantum computing hold the key to Covid-19? - ITProPortal - July 2nd, 2020
- Spain Introduces the World's First Quantum Phase Battery - News - All About Circuits - July 2nd, 2020
- Professor tackles one more mystery about quantum mechanics and times flow - GeekWire - July 2nd, 2020
- This Week's Awesome Tech Stories From Around the Web (Through June 27) - Singularity Hub - June 29th, 2020
- Kudos: Read about faculty, staff and student awards, appointments and achievements - Vanderbilt University News - June 29th, 2020
- This Is the First Universal Language for Quantum Computers - Popular Mechanics - June 21st, 2020
- Universal Quantum raises $4.5 million to build a large-scale quantum computer - VentureBeat - June 17th, 2020
- Ethereum (ETH) Might Not have Quantum Resistance on its Roadmap, the QRL Team Reveals - Crowdfund Insider - June 17th, 2020
- Craig Knoblock Named Michael Keston Executive Director of the USC Information Sciences Institute - USC Viterbi School of Engineering - June 17th, 2020
- European quantum computing startup takes its funding to 32M with fresh raise - TechCrunch - June 11th, 2020