Over a half a million dollars worth of bitcoin from a May 2010 coinbase reward was transferred to Bitfinex on October 1. A parser recorded the old coins being spent and since mid-February 2020, roughly 33 so-called sleeping bitcoin addresses from ten years ago have been spent to-date. Interestingly, 20 out of the 33, 2010-issued rewards moved this year were spent the day before Black Thursday.
Earlier this week, the software program, Btcparser, recorded an old coinbase reward from 2010 getting spent on Thursday, after the 50 bitcoins sat dormant for over a decade. Btcparser is a Telegram and browser bot that was developed in order to monitor the activity of so-called sleeping bitcoin addresses.
Btcparser.com shows three types of parsed data obtained from the Bitcoin (BTC) blockchain. The first parser combs the BTC blockchain for activity related to 64,529 addresses stemming from 2009 through 2017.
Btcparsers Telegram channel shows these alleged dead addresses have been recorded since February 13, 2020. A great majority of rewards spent in 2020 on Btcparsers first list were minted in 2017, 2016, and 2015.
Blocks stemming from 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 are rarely spent but have been recorded on a few occasions this year. From mid-February 2020 until today, 33 blocks with 50 BTC coinbase rewards from 2010 were moved after a whole decade. Another block reward from 2009 was also spent this year as well. Thats a total of 1,650 BTC (34 block rewards) worth over $17 million using todays exchange rates.
The last 2010 block of coins moved was transferred on October 1, 2020, and it was allegedly sent to a Bitfinex hot wallet. The 2010 block spent last Thursday was originally minted on May 24, 2010, when bitcoin was practically worthless. For instance, the blocks creation was a week after Laszlo Hanyecz successfully traded 10,000 BTC for two pizzas.
The last group of bitcoins that were moved stemming from 2010, prior to the October 1st transfer, was on September 22, and September 2, 2020. Those 100 old bitcoins (over $1M in value) were issued on September 16, and October 6, 2010.
Out of the total 33, 2010-based block rewards moved this year since mid-February, a single 2009 block reward was transferred on May 20, 2020. This block moved made headlines in the media because it was mined only a month after the BTC network was first invoked.
However, one story that didnt make headlines was the massive 20 block rewards (50 BTC) transferred on March 11, 2020, the day before Black Thursday. March 12 or Black Thursday saw crypto markets decline significantly in value, as bitcoin BTC prices slid -49% from $7,648 to a low of $3,870.
Additionally, another 2010 block reward, coincidentally mined on March 11 of that year, was also transferred on Black Thursday. It is uncertain whether or not the mined blocks from 2010 that were moved in mid-March were mined by a single entity, but its likely that it was the same person.
Furthermore, the BTC minted in 2010 spent the day before Black Thursday also saw its corresponding BCH moved on the same day. The BCH spent was worth $271k using bitcoin cash exchange rates on March 11, 2020. Moreover, the corresponding bitcoinsv (BSV) coins tied to these block rewards were also spent.
For some reason before the market carnage on March 12, the 1,050 BTC stemming from numerous 2010 block rewards were possibly sold at the top for $8 million. Its quite possible that the owner of those Satoshi-era bitcoins knew the market would see a big sell-off the next day.
There are a lot of Satoshi-era or so-called sleeping bitcoins that never have moved. Estimates assume there are close to 1.8 million bitcoins from old coinbase rewards left unspent that are sitting dormant in wallets.
There were 67,920 BTC blocks solved in 2010 with the first block of the year mined at height 32,490. Bitcoin blocks that were mined prior to block height 79,764 were also mined into a single payout address. Blocks mined prior to block height 135,000 saw rewards sent to unencrypted wallets as well. Wallet encryption wasnt officially added to BTC wallet software until July 2011.
Its quite interesting that the miner spent the decade-old bitcoins worth around $527k on October 1, 2020. But whats even more intriguing is the 20 or so 2010-based BTC, BCH, and BSV blocks spent before Black Thursday.
What do you think about the 2010 block spent on October 1 and the 20 blocks spent in mid-March? Let us know what you think about this subject in the comments section below.
Image Credits: Shutterstock, Pixabay, Wiki Commons, Btcparser.com
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not a direct offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation or endorsement of any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.
- Monster-Sized Bitcoin Whale Transfers: Blockchain Parser Catches Significant Amounts of 'Cold BTC' Moved to Active Exchanges Featured Bitcoin News -... - December 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin.com Unlocks Earn on Crypto Promoted Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin And Omicron: Is Another Black Swan Brewing? - NewsBTC - December 3rd, 2021
- True or false: 91% of surveys about Bitcoin and crypto are totally wrong - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- This simple Bitcoin options strategy lets traders profit while also hedging their bets - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- Can Bitcoin rally in December? | Tune in now to The Market Report w/ Gareth Soloway - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- The Invisible Incentives Of Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - December 3rd, 2021
- The future is Bitcoin according to South Park creators - Cointelegraph - November 25th, 2021
- Pokmon GO Creator's AR Platform Is Now Being Used To Hunt Bitcoin, Not Pocket Monsters - Nintendo Life - November 25th, 2021
- Stripe says it's open to accepting crypto for payments, three years after ending bitcoin support - CNBC - November 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Thanksgiving Gift, Why BTC Heads For Fresh Rally - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- JPMorgan Lists Ethereum As A Better Investment Than Bitcoin - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- Buy the Dip: Bitcoin Whales Accumulated Over $2.36 Billion in $BTC After Price Drop - CryptoGlobe - November 25th, 2021
- How The Latest Macroeconomic News Is Impacting Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - November 25th, 2021
- Macro Guru Raoul Pal Says Millennials Migrating to Bitcoin From Gold and Traditional Finance Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - November 25th, 2021
- NFL Star Wide Receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to Be Paid in Bitcoin This Season - Motley Fool - November 25th, 2021
- Hartford Police seized $20,000 from a Bitcoin ATM after it was linked to a fraud - WFSB - November 25th, 2021
- Transacting on Solana less energy-intensive than on Bitcoin, Ethereum, report reveals - AMBCrypto News - November 25th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is The Best Weapon Society Has Against Inflation And Wealth Inequality - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Seeing red? FUD that! Here's what you should have bought instead of Bitcoin last week - Cointelegraph - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin was looking good as an inflation hedge then it plunged nearly 20% - Markets Insider - November 22nd, 2021
- IRS Expects to Seize Billions of Dollars in Cryptocurrency Next Year More Than $3.5 Billion in Crypto Seized This Year Regulation Bitcoin News -... - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Helps Poverty Rather Than Hides It - Bitcoin Magazine - November 22nd, 2021
- 69-Year Old Israeli Lady Turned a $3K Bitcoin Investment to $320K: Now the Bank Refuses to Deposit - CryptoPotato - November 22nd, 2021
- Socialite and Model Alexis Ren Doesn't Trust the Dollar Economy, Says Crypto Is a Viable Alternative Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Strong Institutional Holders Moving Into Bitcoin, According to Cathie Wood of ARK Invest - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum and Four Altcoins Witnessing Mass Adoption As Crypto Market Targets $200,000,000,000,000 ... - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Avalanche Value Surges Reaching an All-Time High, AVAX Joins the Top Ten Crypto Markets Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Quentin Tarantino Sued for an Upcoming Auction of Pulp Fiction NFTs Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Karnataka home minister is a mad man: Congress state chief ... - November 20th, 2021
- Tesla And Elon Musk Devotee Cathie Wood Issued A Serious Bitcoin And Ethereum Fed WarningBut Held Her Huge $500,000 Price Prediction - Forbes - November 20th, 2021
- While Speculators Believe Bitcoin's Third-Largest Wallet Is a Mystery Whale, Onchain Data Suggests It's an Exchange Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin... - November 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin Price Falls Almost 20% Since Biggest Cryptocurrency's Historic Record - Bloomberg - November 20th, 2021
- If bitcoin is 'digital gold,' it should be taxed like gold | TheHill - The Hill - November 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin ETFs and Corporate Adoption Are 2 Key Crypto Catalysts to Watch - Motley Fool - November 20th, 2021
- Dont think anybody can say Bitcoin is a joke now: Morgan Housel - Economic Times - November 20th, 2021
- Does the Bitcoin, Ethereum, Solana, and Cardano Price Crash Signal Another Crypto Winter? - Motley Fool - November 20th, 2021
- Shakeout Or Top? Here's What Bitcoin SOPR Says About It - NewsBTC - November 20th, 2021
- Sports Illustrated Awards Sweepstakes Sponsored by FTX to Give Away 1 Bitcoin Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 20th, 2021
- Aussie brothers hit Nasdaq with plan to turn Bitcoin green - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 20th, 2021
- Is Bitcoin Too Big to Fail? - Institutional Investor - November 6th, 2021
- Estimating This Cycle's Bitcoin Price Top - Bitcoin Magazine - November 6th, 2021
- Billionaire Tom Steyer: This type of bitcoin venture is a disaster for the environment - Yahoo Finance - November 6th, 2021
- Moving $25 Billion in BTC via Alternate Chains There's Now Over 400000 Tokenized Bitcoins in Existence - Bitcoin News - November 6th, 2021
- New York's Incoming Mayor Wants to Be Paid in Bitcoin (At Least Temporarily) - Gizmodo - November 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin price consolidation could be over, says trader as Ethereum, Polkadot hit all-time highs - Cointelegraph - November 6th, 2021
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Cryptos stagnate but one readies to explode - FXStreet - November 6th, 2021
- Spending a String of 20000 BTC 2 Bitcoin Whale Transactions Move Over $1.2 Billion Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 6th, 2021
- Square says bitcoin demand slowed in Q3 but picked back up in October; earnings weigh on stock - MarketWatch - November 6th, 2021
- Why The Navajo Are Mining Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - November 6th, 2021
- Roughly One-Third of Bitcoin Is Controlled by a Small Cabal of Whales, According to New Study - Gizmodo - October 26th, 2021
- Heres the Line in the Sand for a Bitcoin Breakout, According to Veteran Crypto Trader Tone Vays - The Daily Hodl - October 26th, 2021
- As bitcoin soars in value again, here's what to think about before you buy - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- Some Are Betting on State-of-the-Art Mining Machines as Bitcoin (BTC) Breaks New Price Ground - Yahoo Finance - October 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin is over $66,000. Here are 3 questions to ask yourself before you invest - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- OLB Group Expands Bitcoin Mining Operation With 500 ASIC Miners, Expects $1M Monthly Revenue - Yahoo Finance - October 26th, 2021
- Swarm of Alternative Crypto Assets Outpace Bitcoin's Gains by Double Digits This Week Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 26th, 2021
- Elon Musk on his crypto portfolio: I only own bitcoin, ether and dogecoin - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- Why is Illinois' largest electric utility mining Bitcoin near one of its coal-fired power plants? - Bloomington Pantagraph - October 26th, 2021
- US Government To Auction 4.94 Bitcoin Worth Over $300,000 - Bitcoin Magazine - October 26th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Needs To Clear $64K For Hopes of a Fresh Rally - NewsBTC - October 26th, 2021
- Coinbase Follows Bitcoin Into Consolidation: Is The Stock Headed For $415? - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin rises to the highest since May, is now up 30% in October - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin jumps to nearly 5-month high, topping $55,000 on Wednesday - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin climbs back above $50,000 as it starts October on a tear - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- What Caused Bitcoin Prices To Reach Their Highest Since May? - Forbes - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Hits Five-Month High - TheStreet - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin is up 30% in Octoberand within striking range of its all-time high - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- Swiss think tank initiates vote to add Bitcoin in federal constitution - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- Buying bitcoin or any other crypto is a huge leap of faith and you don't want to be the 'greater fool' - MarketWatch - October 12th, 2021
- BTC's Price Rise Gives 5-Year-Old Mining Rigs New Life Bitcoin Hashrate Jumps Close to 20% Since Last Week Mining Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 12th, 2021
- Has Bitcoin Improved As A Flight To Safety Investment? - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 12th, 2021
- How Henry Ford Envisaged Bitcoin 100 Years Ago A Unique 'Energy Currency' That Could 'Stop Wars' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 12th, 2021
- 3 warning signs suggest the Bitcoin price rally is overextended - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- BitMEX CEO Predicts Five Developing Countries Will Accept Bitcoin As Legal Tender Next Year Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin climbs to highest in nearly two weeks - Reuters - October 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency prices today: Bitcoin gains, ether, cardano slip. Latest rates here - Mint - October 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin and Ethereum Weekly Technical Analysis October 4th, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - October 4th, 2021
- Visa's New Payment System Will Accept Everything From Bitcoin to Dollars - The Motley Fool - October 4th, 2021
- New Rules Could Affect Robinhood and Bitcoin Traders. Here's What You Need to Know - The Motley Fool - October 4th, 2021