Bitcoin (BTC) rose to highs of $10,730 before settling lower on Oct. 5 as markets fluctuated in line with United States President Donald Trump contracting COVID-19.
Cointelegraph takes a look at the factors set to influence BTC price action this week, as the virus and its consequences dictate the macro mood.
President Trump buoyed markets late Sunday as traders priced in the possibility that he would leave hospital on Monday after treatment for COVID-19.
Futures were up, reversing losses on Friday, along with major stock markets including the S&P 500, to which Bitcoin continues to show high correlation.
Trumps coronavirus diagnosis had caused modest panic late last week, with stocks diving and BTC/USD reacting in kind, dropping from $10,940 to lows of $10,380.
Its been a really interesting journey; I learned a lot about Covid, Trump said in a video update posted to Twitter late Sunday, apparently addressed to a crowd of supporters situated outside his hospital prior to a surprise meet-and-greet:
Wall Street had yet to open at publishing time, with resumption of trading set to dictate further market trajectory for the start of the week.
BTC/USD vs. S&P 500 one-year chart. Source: Skew
Beyond Trump, coronavirus continues to create uncertainty in the U.S. and abroad.
New York continued with phased infrastructure shutdowns on Monday, while in Europe, the worsening infection rate caused Paris to close certain establishments.
In a fresh toll to business, meanwhile, Cineworld, the worlds second-biggest movie theater chain, said it would close its entire operation in both the U.S. and United Kingdom until further notice from Oct. 8. Its shares subsequently plunged 56% to a new all-time low.
Nevertheless, rumors abound that Trumps situation may in fact spur both political sides in Washington to reach a stimulus deal, something which would have an immediate impact on markets.
As Cointelegraph reported, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin had already alayed fears of a continued stalemate by confirming that whatever happens, the package would include another $1,200 stimulus check for eligible Americans.
The long-term impact of state-sponsored income is in itself controversial, with commentators previously arguing that once implemented, the checks would be difficult to simply turn off.
At the time that the first round of checks hit in April, cryptocurrency exchanges noticed increased volume specifically for the amount of the $1,200 payouts.
BTC/USD one-week chart. Source: Coin360
Europes turn in spotlight when it comes to macro market movements may lie ahead of it, as last-minute intense talks over Brexit got underway Monday.
Long a contentious issue for the British pound and its traders, the Brexit deal or lack of it has previously even managed to produce knock-on effects for Bitcoin.
This time around, the talks aim to produce a compromise before a crucial European Union meeting on Oct. 15, with a realistic deadline to produce consensus now set for sometime in early November.
Asked what the impact of no deal would be, U.K. prime minister Boris Johnson told a BBC radio show that the country could more than live with it.
In London, FTSE 100 futures were nonetheless up on Monday, more than reversing their losses from throughout the previous weeks trading.
Along with Brexit, as Cointelegraph noted, the Bank of England is currently researching the idea of introducing negative interest rates for the first time in its history.
Recent selling pressure meant that Bitcoins fundamentals were unable to continue their record winning streak.
Difficulty, perhaps the most important measure of miner health, barely moved at its latest readjustment on Oct. 4. Previously, estimates suggested that the metric would build on existing all-time highs to shoot higher still.
In the event, a 0.09% dip extinguished optimism, which was running high after the previous readjustment saw an 11.35% uptick.
Hash rate, a measure of the computing power dedicated to validating the Bitcoin blockchain, was also flat on Monday, hovering at 135 exahashes per second (EH/s).
Seven-day hash rate highs had reached a record 143 EH/s in September, with another surge to 141 EH/s on Oct. 1.
Bitcoin seven-day average hash rate two-month chart. Source: Blockchain
As Cointelegraph reported, another difficulty metric, Difficulty Ribbon Compression, showed a much more bullish trend last week.
Zooming out, Bitcoin analysts appeared as satisfied as ever with the largest cryptocurrencys performance.
For quant analyst PlanB, creator of the stock-to-flow family of BTC price models, it was now time for Bitcoin to follow its historical trend and put in fresh gains.
The impetus was the 200-week moving average (200WMA), which on Oct. 4 reached a new all-time high of $6,800.
A favored price feature for PlanB, the 200WMA has never been broken in price downtrends, and currently increases by around $200 each month. Analyzing the latest data from stock-to-flow, PlanB summarized on Twitter:
Such behavior, where the dots represent BTC/USD according to its distance from halving events, has repeated following both the 2012 and 2016 halvings.
Bitcoin stock-to-flow chart as of Oct. 5. Source: PlanB/Twitter
- Bitcoin to tumble further: oddsmakers bet on drop to $10K - Yahoo Finance - June 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Is Actually Traceable, Pipeline Investigation Shows - The New York Times - June 12th, 2021
- Jim Cramer: Be patient with bitcoin, approach the S&P with caution - CNBC - June 12th, 2021
- As bitcoin falls to $32K, two strategists discuss whether it's a buy now - CNBC - June 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin ($BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price Outlook: Futures a Warning to JPMorgan - Bloomberg - June 12th, 2021
- Hacking bitcoin wallets with quantum computers could happen but cryptographers are racing to build a workaround - CNBC - June 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin bounces from 3-week lows why 'bad narratives' have one trader staying neutral - CNBC - June 12th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency News Today June 12: Bitcoin, Dogecoin, Shiba Inu and other top coins prices and all latest u... - Zee Business - June 12th, 2021
- El Salvador looks to become the first country to adopt ... - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin extends losses, falling below $32,000 after U.S. seizes most of Colonial ransom - CNBC - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin believers have nothing to worry about; their crypto is here to stay - Business Standard - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin skids to two-week low, but technical analyst says the slump is not a 'decisive breakdown' she's watching the next two closes - MarketWatch - June 8th, 2021
- Thousands of bitcoin believers descended on Miami to party and preach the gospel of 'HODL' - CNBC - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum and XRP Plunge In Steepest Drop Since May - TheStreet - June 8th, 2021
- If you're thinking about investing in bitcoin, consider these risks first If you've gotten - CNBC - June 8th, 2021
- China Reconsiders Its Central Role in Bitcoin Mining - The Wall Street Journal - June 8th, 2021
- El Salvador may be the first country to accept Bitcoin as legal tender - Yahoo Tech - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin of America is Hoping to Inspire Women to Join the Crypto Industry by Sending its Powerful Female Team to Bitcoin 2021 - PRNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- Take that, Miami: Hong Kong hosts its own Bitcoin meetup - Forkast News - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin is greener than many --- including Elon Musk --- think it is - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin hits $38K as BTC price breaks above 'line in the sand' resistance - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Price Volatility Reached Its Highest In A Year During May - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin is headed toward its worst month since 2011; 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' author says that's 'great news' - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- Wall Street struggles to sell Washington on Bitcoin for the masses - POLITICO - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin contends with biggest monthly drop on record - Fox Business - June 2nd, 2021
- Few, if any, financial advisers expected to recommend bitcoin and dogecoin to clients --- here's how many now suggest buying crypto - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- Want to Stop Ransomware Attacks? Ban Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies. - The New Republic - June 2nd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency expert says Bitcoin, Stablecoin payments will be accepted by more businesses - Fox Business - June 2nd, 2021
- Crypto market comeback? Ask experts anything about dogecoin, bitcoin, Ethereum latest and more - The Independent - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin slumps 7% as investors brace for another bouncy weekend - Aljazeera.com - May 30th, 2021
- In the Battle over Bitcoin, Its Bull vs. Bear in Elon Musks Brain - Barron's - May 30th, 2021
- Analyst says reclaiming $37,500 is Bitcoins crucial line in the sand - Cointelegraph - May 30th, 2021
- When Is Bitcoin's Reign Going to End? - Analytics Insight - May 30th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency prices today: Bitcoin, ethereum, dogecoin and more - Moneycontrol.com - May 30th, 2021
- Billionaire Ray Dalio says he owns bitcoin, and its 'greatest risk is its success' - CNBC - May 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin hovers around $40,000 after a wild week of trading - CNBC - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin price slides along with other cryptocurrencies - Fox Business - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin Crashes Toward $30,000 As Ethereum, Binances BNB, Cardano, Ripples XRP And Dogecoin Lead Another Crypto Price Plummet - Forbes - May 28th, 2021
- Why is the price of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies falling? - CBS News - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin Depot Among Industry Leaders to Participate at Bitcoin 2021 Conference - PRNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin slumps 8% as it heads for bruising monthly drop - Reuters - May 28th, 2021
- How Far Bitcoin Could Fall If the Selloff Worsens - Barron's - May 28th, 2021
- Bitfarms Mines 1000th Bitcoin with Hydroelectricity This Year - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin and bonds wont cut it. Buy these 6 types of assets for protection in a bear market, says strategist. - MarketWatch - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoins Reliance on Stablecoins Harks Back to the Wild West of Finance - The Wall Street Journal - May 28th, 2021
- The Cryptocurrencies That Outperformed During Bitcoin's Crash - Barron's - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin investors are flying too close to the sun: analyst - Yahoo Finance - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin Investing vs. Invisible Hardware of the Nanocosm - Yahoo Finance - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin: I'll either be rich, or wrong - Financial Times - May 28th, 2021
- Crypto News: Bitcoin, Other Cryptocurrencies Suffer Another Weekend Rout - Barron's - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin is up, then down. But exactly how does it work? - USA TODAY - May 24th, 2021
- MORNING BID-Bitcoin and Belarus in the headlines - Reuters - May 24th, 2021
- Recovery rally takes bitcoin back above $40k; Treasury proposal weighs on gains - Reuters - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin prices tumble 50% from peak and Mark Cuban calls the crypto crash the 'great unwind' - MarketWatch - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin has just crashed and we may see another rally. But is this the time to buy? - ABC News - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin Vs. Gold: Surviving Inflation - Forbes - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin recovers after plunge that shaved $1 trillion off crypto market: CNBC After Hours - CNBC - May 24th, 2021
- Crypto strategist sees pullback in bitcoin and ether as a healthy sign after massive rallies - CNBC - May 24th, 2021
- Why is crypto crashing? Will bitcoin prices ever recover? Here's what traders and investors say - MarketWatch - May 24th, 2021
- 3 Growth Stocks to Buy That Could Be Bigger Winners Than Bitcoin and Dogecoin - Motley Fool - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin flash crash amplified by leverage and systemic issues - Financial Times - May 24th, 2021
- Some old investing lessons from the Bitcoin crash - Mint - May 24th, 2021
- If You Invested $1,000 in Bitcoin 10 Years Ago, Here's How Much You'd Have Today - The Motley Fool - May 9th, 2021
- Elizabeth Warren: 'There's a real issue' with environmental impact of bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- SEC Chairman Gary Gensler says more investor protections are needed for bitcoin and crypto markets - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price: Bank of England Warns of Full Losses - Bloomberg - May 9th, 2021
- Marathon Miners Have Started Censoring Bitcoin Transactions; Here's What That Means - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2021
- Downtown Josh Brown on bitcoin and wealth management - The Block Crypto - May 9th, 2021
- FBI: Knoxville man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife - WATE 6 On Your Side - May 9th, 2021
- Metromile Will Embrace Bitcoin For Insurance Premium And Claim Payments - Forbes - May 9th, 2021
- FBI: Tennessee man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife - wreg.com - May 9th, 2021
- If You Bought $1,000 Worth of Bitcoin a Year Ago, Here's How Much You'd Have Today - The Motley Fool - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoins upcoming Taproot upgrade and why it matters for the network - Cointelegraph - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin ($BTC) or Ether ($ETH): Which Crypto Coin Is a Better Investment? - Bloomberg - May 6th, 2021
- Forget Bitcoin: Here are The Crypto Assets To Follow - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2021
- Mark Cuban: The 3 ways Ethereum 'dwarfs' bitcoin - CNBC - May 6th, 2021
- Square gets a bitcoin boost with revenue up 266% - CNBC - May 6th, 2021
- Crypto Expert Predicts That Bitcoin Will Eventually Hit $1 Million USD per Coin - HYPEBEAST - May 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin price live: Experts predict latest ethereum and dogecoin records may be early stages of rally - Yahoo Finance Australia - May 6th, 2021
- DeFi More Disruptive to Banks Than Bitcoin, Says ING - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 6th, 2021