HodlX Guest PostSubmit Your Post
Imagine this. You have just bought the house of your dreams. Before the sales agent hands over the keys he tells you he has two pieces of very important advice.
First of all, he warns you that although you can make as many copies of the keys as you like, if ever all the keys are lost, you will never be able to enter the house again ever. In fact, no one will ever be able to enter the house. It will be empty for eternity.
You have lost your house.
Just as you are pondering which members of your friends and family you should leave spare keys with, he relates his second piece of advice.
If any copy of your keys are stolen or fall into the hands of an unscrupulous person, they can obviously gain access to your house. But worse than that, they would be able to change all the locks and prevent you from ever entering your house again ever.
Furthermore, you will have no recourse. The scoundrel will be able to sleep in your bed and drink champagne in your jacuzzi, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
You have lost your house.
This may seem far-fetched and ridiculous but it is exactly the situation regarding cryptocurrency and private keys. Here we have the twin issues of the neurotic fear of losing your private keys contrasted with the paranoia of someone gaining access to them through malicious intent.
If you are naturally forgetful and neurotic about losing your keys, you may distribute them among various, supposedly trustworthy people and store them in various secret places. Unfortunately, this just makes it easier for someone to find them or use them for their own benefit. So one day, as you are idly daydreaming about which model of Range Rover you will buy with your enormous crypto profits, you discover that your uncle Bill has run off to Puerto Rico with the maid, accompanied by all your crypto. Your aunt Grace is distraught but she will get over it: she has already sold his golf clubs. But for you, your dreams are over, and its a few more years in the battered old Ford.
Or, you have a paranoid bent. You bury your hardware wallet in the garden and hide a copy of the seed phrase in the roof lining of your car. Then the day comes when the dog digs up the wallet and chews it into a hundred pieces and your car is stolen and the thief drives it into the river.
Luckily, you remember you gave another copy of the seed phrase to your sister, so you frantically call her to discover she had hidden the note in the sugar bowl. Unfortunately, she had forgotten about it and the paper had not survived the full dishwasher cycle at 50C. You should have laminated the note but you didnt, did you? Your sister is very apologetic, but for you, your dreams are over.
Its a few more years in the battered old Ford.
The main crypto exchanges are holding a huge amount of customers cryptocurrency in their custodial wallets. Why is this, I wonder, when all the advice is to get any assets off exchanges as soon as possible after any transacting and secure them with non-custodial wallets.
Could it be that many of us dont want to be our own bank? We dont want the responsibility and are averse to suffering the neurosis and paranoia of securing our private keys. We are happier to trust Coinbase, Kraken etc. with our crypto assets as we have previously trusted our banks.
It is true how many of us in the West have lost money that was held in major banks? Not many. And exchanges are just like banks, arent they?
However, the history of crypto exchanges is not so rosy as we mistakenly imagine our banks history to be. The Altsbit exchange was hacked only a few days ago and although the losses suffered were far smaller than the fortune spirited away in the Mt. Gox scandal, it simply shows that exchanges are low-lying fruit for hackers and remain vulnerable.
In order to encourage mass adoption of cryptocurrencies, a solution must be found which is user-friendly and provides secure management of private keys without trusting third parties. In this modern age, if the best we have is to etch seed phrases onto hardened steel plates and hide them in the basement, we have a long way to go.
Featured Image: Shutterstock/TheVisualsYouNeed
- Bitcoins Huge Surge This Week Could Be The Tip Of The Iceberg As Investors Recall 2017 Gold Rush - Forbes - April 5th, 2020
- The Price Of Gold And The Price Of Bitcoin - Forbes - April 5th, 2020
- Billionaire Optimistic on Bitcoin as a Flight to Safety - Cointelegraph - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoins Hedging Performance in the Wake of the Coronavirus Outbreak - Cointelegraph - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Flips Bullish But Heres Why BTC Price May Still Hit $3.9K - Cointelegraph - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Showing Signs of Weakness But 100 SMA Can Trigger New Rally - newsBTC - April 5th, 2020
- Xapo moves $633 million Bitcoin for less than a pint of milk - Decrypt - April 5th, 2020
- Tidal Wave of Lawsuits Accuse Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Companies of Selling Unregistered Securities - The Daily Hodl - April 5th, 2020
- Here is why Bitcoin price is likely to be bullish - Cryptopolitan - April 5th, 2020
- Indians Own Bitcoin and Crypto Because Banks Are Incompetent: Survey - Coingape - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Is Doing Just Fine Compared to S&P 500 During COVID-19 Crisis. This Chart Shows Why - U.Today - April 5th, 2020
- Just One Major Cryptocurrency Is Outperforming Bitcoin Right Now And Its Climbing Fast - Forbes - April 3rd, 2020
- Ether-Bitcoin Price Volatility Spread Hits 4-Month Low - CoinDesk - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin on the brink of major bullish breakout - Yahoo Finance - April 3rd, 2020
- $8.5K Then $3K This Traders Bitcoin Price Call Is Playing Out - Cointelegraph - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin.com Fires 50% of Staff Ahead of BCH Halving - Bitcoinist - April 3rd, 2020
- Pressure Test That Signaled Bitcoin (BTC) Bull Run Flashing As Ethereum and XRP Hit Crucial Lines of Resistance - The Daily Hodl - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Targets $7,600 with Chance to Hit $8,900 Later - U.Today - April 3rd, 2020
- How COVID-19 Is Changing Narratives From Bitcoin to DeFi - CoinDesk - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin's Safe-Haven Status Is Not Dead as Correlation to Gold Reaches New Highs: Report - U.Today - April 3rd, 2020
- Darknet and Bitcoin: Ominous trends affected by COVID-19? - Cryptopolitan - April 3rd, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies advance as Bitcoin was rejected at the $7.200 level - FXStreet - April 3rd, 2020
- CoinShares Strategist Meltem Demirors Issues Warning About Digital Dollar Its Everything Bitcoin Is Not - The Daily Hodl - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Climbs More Than 15% As Investors Flock To Safety - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Briefly Tops $7K as Traders Say Worst of 2020 Selloff May Have Passed - CoinDesk - April 2nd, 2020
- Heres Why Bitcoin Price Just Spiked to $7.3K, Liquidating $90M - Cointelegraph - April 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Traders See Bitcoin (But Not Ethereum) Surging To All-Time Highs In 2020Heres Why - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Closes Q1 With Historic Darth Maul Candle: Heres What it Means - newsBTC - April 2nd, 2020
- Could Coronavirus Kill the Bitcoin Mining Industry? - Finance Magnates - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Surges 9% And Will Set Up A Strong Rally IF We Can Close Above This Pattern - Coingape - April 2nd, 2020
- Revolut brings Bitcoin to all of its 7 million users - Decrypt - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Stuck In Bearish Trend As The New Month Begins - Forbes - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Takes Tumble, Traders Fret Correlation and Next Month's Halving - CoinDesk - April 1st, 2020
- A Bitcoin Bastion In The Wild West - Forbes - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Bros Are Directing Their Powerful Computers Toward Coronavirus COVID-19 Research - Forbes - April 1st, 2020
- Massive $633 Million Bitcoin (BTC) Transaction Triggers Crypto Whale Alert - The Daily Hodl - April 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies price prediction: Bitcoin, Ethereum & Litecoin - American Wrap - 01 April - FXStreet - April 1st, 2020
- Can Bitcoin Survive the Climate Change Revolution? - CoinDesk - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Follows Stock Markets Higher; How Long Will They Move in Lockstep? - CoinDesk - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoins on the Move Is BTC Price Inversely Correlated to Mempool Size? - Cointelegraph - April 1st, 2020
- Here's how much bitcoin beat the Dow and S&P 500 in the first quarter - CNBC - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Holding Crucial Support: Heres What Could Propel it to $7K - newsBTC - April 1st, 2020
- Is Now the Time to Invest in Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - April 1st, 2020
- This Crisis Is Good For Bitcoin, But Beware of Recession - Luno CEO - Cryptonews - April 1st, 2020
- Top Three Coins Price Prediction: Bitcoin bears take control while Ethereum and Ripple still remains in the green - FXStreet - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Ascends on Twitter While Major Altcoins Hit Multi-Year Lows - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is a Safe Haven for a Worse Storm Than This - CoinDesk - March 27th, 2020
- Japanese Investors Rushed To Buy The Dip After Bitcoin Bloodbath - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin community responds to FDIC warning on bank run - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- Binance Reveals Visa Debit Card in Push to Bring Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Payments Worldwide - The Daily Hodl - March 27th, 2020
- Just Like Bitcoin Before It, Cardano Is Banned From Wikipedia - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- How would a US recession affect Bitcoin? - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- Are Miners Waiting for Bitcoin to Hit Breakeven Point? - Cryptonews - March 27th, 2020
- Feds Unlimited QE Places Spotlight on Bitcoin Store-of-Value Narrative - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Vitalik Proposes Solution to 'Embarrassing' Lack of BitcoinEthereum Bridge - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will "Come Of Age" During This Crisis: Top Investor Explains Why - Blockonomi - March 27th, 2020
- Algorithmic Crypto Art Changes Appearance to Reflect Bitcoin Volatility - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Heres How To Predict Major Moves In The Price Of Bitcoin - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Reversed and Its Vulnerable To A Drop Towards $5,200 - newsBTC - March 23rd, 2020
- Did BTC Miners Crash Bitcoin Price With 51 Days Before the Halving? - Cointelegraph - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Bitcoin Steady Above $6,000, But Is It The Calm Before The Storm? - CryptoPotato - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Highly Correlated With HYG And IWM ETFs As Contagion Effect From Coronavirus Epidemic Spreads Across All Asset Classes - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: A sea of red returns as weekend love disappears - FXStreet - March 23rd, 2020
- Tezos Foundation Offloaded Millions of Dollars Worth of Bitcoin in 2019: Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 23rd, 2020
- The Internet May Be Next Victim of Coronavirus Pandemic Netflix, Google, Apple and Amazon React - Bitcoin News - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price (BTCUSD) is Off to a Bullish Start; Can It Sustain Gains Above $5,900.00? - InvestingCube - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Might Drop Beneath $4,800 Again If It Breaks THIS Short Term Trend Line - Coingape - March 21st, 2020
- Top 3 Coins Price Prediction: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple consolidate their price following as bulls and bears wrestle for control - Confluence... - March 21st, 2020
- A factor that predicted the Bitcoin crash in 2018 suggests bullish action is ahead - CryptoSlate - March 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin's Difficulty on Track for Historic Drop, but There Is Silver Lining - U.Today - March 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin ranked on top 100 greatest designs of all time - Decrypt - March 21st, 2020
- The Puell Multiple Is Turning Bullish on Bitcoin - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Fast Approaching $7,000Heres Why - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Contrary To Popular Belief, Bitcoin Isn't Consistently Correlated To Anything - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoins Magic Is Fading, And Thats A Good Thing - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Leaves Stocks In The Dust - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus is forcing fans of Bitcoin to realize its not a safe haven after all - MIT Technology Review - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Back In Free Fall And Dropping FastHeres Why - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Top Analyst Explains Why Bitcoin Price is Up 78% amid Coronavirus Outbreak - newsBTC - March 20th, 2020
- A Treatise on Bitcoin and Privacy Part 2: Dont Be Misled by Red Herrings - Nasdaq - March 20th, 2020