Bitcoin Cash is a cryptocurrency. In mid-2017, a group of developers wanting to increase bitcoin's block size limit prepared a code change. The change, called a hard fork, took effect on 1 August 2017. As a result, the bitcoin ledger called the blockchain and the cryptocurrency split in two. At the time of the fork anyone owning bitcoin was also in possession of the same number of Bitcoin Cash units. The technical difference between Bitcoin Cash and bitcoin is that Bitcoin Cash allows larger blocks in its blockchain than bitcoin, which in theory allows it to process more transactions per second.
On 15 November 2018 Bitcoin Cash split into two cryptocurrencies.
Bitcoin Cash is a cryptocurrency and a payment network. In relation to bitcoin it is characterized variously as a spin-off, a strand, a product of a hard fork, an offshoot, a clone, a second version or an altcoin.
The naming of Bitcoin Cash is contentious; it is sometimes referred to as Bcash.
Rising fees on the bitcoin network contributed to a push by some in the community to create a hard fork to increase the blocksize. This push came to a head in July 2017 when some members of the Bitcoin community including Roger Ver felt that adopting BIP 91 without increasing the block-size limit favored people who wanted to treat Bitcoin as a digital investment rather than as a transactional currency. This push by some to increase the block size met a resistance. Since its inception up to July 2017, bitcoin users had maintained a common set of rules for the cryptocurrency. Eventually, a group of bitcoin activists, investors, entrepreneurs, developers and largely China based miners were unhappy with bitcoin's proposed SegWit improvement plans meant to increase capacity and pushed forward alternative plans for a split which created Bitcoin Cash. The proposed split included a plan to increase the number of transactions its ledger can process by increasing the block size limit to eight megabytes.
The would-be hard fork with an expanded block size limit was described by hardware manufacturer Bitmain in June 2017 as a "contingency plan" should the Bitcoin community decide to fork; the first implementation of the software was proposed under the name Bitcoin ABC at a conference that month. In July 2017, the Bitcoin Cash name was proposed by mining pool ViaBTC.
On 1 August 2017 Bitcoin Cash began trading at about $240, while Bitcoin traded at about $2,700.
In 2018 Bitcoin Core developer Cory Fields found a bug in the Bitcoin ABC software that would have allowed an attacker to create a block causing a chain split. Fields notified the development team about it and the bug was fixed.
In November 2018, a hard-fork chain split of Bitcoin Cash occurred between two rival factions called Bitcoin ABC and Bitcoin SV. On 15 November 2018 Bitcoin Cash ABC traded at about $289 and Bitcoin SV traded at about $96.50, down from $425.01 on 14 November for the un-split Bitcoin Cash.
The split originated from what was described as a "civil war" in two competing bitcoin cash camps. The first camp, led by entrepreneur Roger Ver and Jihan Wu of Bitmain, promoted the software entitled Bitcoin ABC (short for Adjustable Blocksize Cap) which would maintain the block size at 32MB. The second camp led by Craig Steven Wright and billionaire Calvin Ayre put forth a competing software version Bitcoin SV, short for "Bitcoin Satoshi's Vision," that would increase the blocksize to 128MB.
The arguments have devolved over three or four years of bitter debate, the principles are real and they are important to preserve, but a lot of the drama has nothing to do with principles anymore. A lot of this debate is now more about hurt feelings. Its about bruised egos. Its about things that were said that cant be unsaid, insults that were exchanged, and personalities and ego.
Andreas Antonopoulos, "The Verge"
There are two factions of bitcoin supporters, that support large blocks or small blocks. The Bitcoin Cash faction favors the use of its currency as a medium of exchange for commerce while the bitcoin supporting faction view Bitcoin's primary use as that of a store of value. Some bitcoin supporters like to call Bitcoin Cash Bcash, Btrash, or simply, a scam, while Bitcoin Cash advocates insist that their implementation is the pure form of Bitcoin.
Bitcoin Cash trades on digital currency exchanges including Bitstamp, Coinbase, Gemini, Kraken, and ShapeShift using the Bitcoin Cash name and the BCH ticker symbol for the cryptocurrency. A few other exchanges use the BCC ticker symbol, though BCC is commonly used for Bitconnect. On 26 March 2018, OKEx removed all Bitcoin Cash trading pairs except for BCH/BTC, BCH/ETH and BCH/USDT due to "inadequate liquidity". As of May2018[update], daily transaction numbers for Bitcoin Cash are about one-tenth of those of bitcoin.
By November 2017 the value of Bitcoin Cash, which had been as high as $900, had fallen to around $300, much of that due to people who had originally held Bitcoin selling off the Bitcoin Cash they received at the hard fork. On 20 December 2017 it reached an intraday high of $4,355.62 and then fell 88% to $519.12 on 23 August 2018.
As of August 2018, Bitcoin Cash payments are supported by payment service providers such as BitPay, Coinify and GoCoin. The research firm Chainanalysis noted that in May 2018, 17 largest payment processing services such as BitPay, Coinify, and GoCoin processed Bitcoin Cash payments worth of US$3.7 million, down from US$10.5 million processed in March.
See the original post here:
Bitcoin Cash - Wikipedia
- Is This The Real Reason Behind Bitcoins Huge Weekend Flash Crash? - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- First Mover: As Fed Nears Inflation Rubicon, Analysts See $50K Bitcoin in Play - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 4th, 2020
- TUM team finds Bitcoin accounts for 2/3 of total energy consumption of cryptocurrencies - Green Car Congress - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin's flash crash and recent rally explained - BNN - August 4th, 2020
- Over 90% of ETH's Supply Now in Profit | Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - August 4th, 2020
- Chinese Bitcoin Miners Face Tougher Than Ever Rainy Season in 2020 - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Is Booming in Uncertain Russia, With 350% Spike in New Users on Paxful | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - August 4th, 2020
- 17-year-old accused of masterminding Twitter bitcoin scam - CNBC - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Scaling Tech Could Have Saved Companies and Users $500M in Fees: Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 4th, 2020
- Government-Owned Swiss Bank Launching Crypto Trading and Custody Services | News - Bitcoin News - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Biotech on My Mind as Defiant Bears Get Crushed - RealMoney - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin will drop to $10K before rally resumes - Asia Times - August 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Proof of Stake BitcoinPoS BPS - News Anyway - August 4th, 2020
- Ethereum Is Beating Bitcoin In More Ways Than One - Forbes - July 14th, 2020
- A Panel of Experts See Bitcoin Averaging $12948 by Year End - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- 'Ferocious Rally': Weiss Ratings Bullish on Bitcoin, Price to Hit $70K Next Year | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Thieves Hit Cashaa - Infosecurity Magazine - July 14th, 2020
- $424 Million and Numismatic Value: There's Only 20000 Casascius Physical Bitcoins Left Unspent | Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- This Exchange Crashed Bitcoin Price to $9K: Heres Why Thats Bullish - Cointelegraph - July 14th, 2020
- US Army Requests Information on Tools to Track Cryptocurrency Transactions | News - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- 'Fiat and Money Printing' Street Mural Earns $500 in Bitcoin Donations in Five Days | News - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volume Slumps; Will TikTok Revive Dogecoin? - Forbes - July 14th, 2020
- Comparing Apple to Bitcoin? Crypto Occupies a Class of Its Own - Cointelegraph - July 14th, 2020
- Huobi Futures to launch bitcoin options trading in Q3 - HedgeWeek - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Transactions: New High for Argentina as Confidence in the Peso Tanks - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- CoinSwap and the Ongoing Effort to Make Bitcoin Privacy 'Invisible' - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 14th, 2020
- Black wealth must exit to Bitcoin, says author Isaiah Jackson - Decrypt - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Retreat As Bulls Run Out Of Steam At The 50-Day SMA - InvestingCube - July 14th, 2020
- US Dept of Homeland Security Buys Analytics Software From Coinbase | News - Bitcoin News - July 14th, 2020
- Bug in Bitcoin Wallets Found Using the Replace-By-Fee Feature - PRNewswire - July 14th, 2020
- Nearly $60M in Bitcoin Moved to Ethereum in June - Yahoo Finance - July 9th, 2020
- ModiHost's Token Is Live on HitBTC, the Leading European Bitcoin Exchange | Press release - Bitcoin News - July 9th, 2020
- For The First Time It's Free To Hold Bitcoin In A Retirement Account - Introducing The No Annual Fee Choice IRA For Digital And Traditional Assets -... - July 9th, 2020
- Permissionless Software Foundation Aims to Foster Open-Source Software With Bitcoin Cash - Bitcoin News - July 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Never Be Truly Private Says Andreas Antonopoulos - Cointelegraph - July 8th, 2020
- Forget Bitcoin and Cash ISAs! I'd buy cheap FTSE 100 shares now to beat the State Pension - Yahoo Finance UK - July 8th, 2020
- Ethereum, Bitcoin locked in DeFi hits all-time high of $2 billion - Decrypt - July 8th, 2020
- Nearly $60M in Bitcoin Moved to Ethereum in June - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2020
- The Three Most Controversial Bitcoin Price Models and What They Predict - Cointelegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Trumps Former Sanctions Chief Joins Bitcoin Investigation Firm Advisory Board As Part Of Expanded $49 Million Investment - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin Undo Button & Fleeing Firms: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin Up 27% in First Half of 2020, Beating Gold, Silver and Platinum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2020
- The Popular Stablecoin Tether Is Now Circulating on the Bitcoin Cash Network - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Demand for Bitcoin Will See a Dramatic Shift in 8 Years - Retail Investors to Eat up Entire New Supply | Economics - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Breadwallet and Ledger Live Released Fixes for Flaws in Bitcoin Wallets - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - July 7th, 2020
- Developer Reveals Layer-Two Private Messaging and Payment System on Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- Equities Buoy Bitcoin, But Price Headwinds Are Unchanged - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Alleged scammers hid $14 million of stolen money in Bitcoin - Decrypt - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin As A Payment System Crypto Cards And The Rocky Road They Travel - Forbes - July 7th, 2020
- Bitcoin will hit $50,000 by the end of the year Nexo co-founder - Crypto News Flash - July 7th, 2020
- Crypto Derivatives Volumes Crash 36% to $393 Billion in June, a Low for 2020 | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - July 7th, 2020
- 20K Bitcoin Is Still On The Table - Futures Magazine - July 7th, 2020
- First Mover: The Return of the Bitcoin Retail Investor (And Why Thats a Good Thing) - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- The most secretive Bitcoin wallet just moved nearly $1 billion - Decrypt - June 30th, 2020
- Why the Stock-to-Flow Bitcoin Valuation Model Is Wrong - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Will Take a Long Time to Dethrone the Dollar - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- Skeptics Concerned Plustoken Scammers Plan to Dump $187M Worth of Ethereum | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin.org Maintainer Calls for the Removal of Cobra, Website Owner Then Fires Him - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- An Israeli Blockchain Startup Claims Theyve Invented an Undo Button for Bitcoin Transactions - Cointelegraph - June 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Cardanos ADA Weekly Technical Analysis June 29th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Theory of Bitcoin: Essential knowledge from Craig Wright and Ryan X. Charles - CoinGeek - June 30th, 2020
- Bolstering Separation of Money and State Following the 244th Independence Day - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- Legendary Investor Jim Rogers Warns Governments Will Have To Eliminate Bitcoin - Forbes - June 27th, 2020
- What Changed My Mind About Bitcoin Narratives - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 27th, 2020
- The Last Time Volatility Was This Low Bitcoin Went On to Rally By $2K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 27th, 2020
- Record Unemployment Has Contributed To A Striking Shift Toward Bitcoin, New Research Reveals - Forbes - June 27th, 2020
- Developer Who Successfully Hacked Bitcoin Wallet Ensures BTC Is Still Safe - Cointelegraph - June 27th, 2020
- What will happen to Bitcoin after all 21 million are mined? - Decrypt - June 27th, 2020
- Leveraged Tokens Soon Available on the Bitcoin.com Exchange | Promoted - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin mining farm buys up 17,600 minersdespite the halving - Decrypt - June 27th, 2020
- 6 Privacy-Enhancing Tools That Place Bitcoin Cash Transactions Ahead of the Pack | Privacy - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Mining Chip Manufacturer Ebang to List on Nasdaq This Week - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Suddenly Plunged To $8,900And It May Kickstart A 3-Month Correction - Forbes - June 16th, 2020
- Inactive Bitcoin Supply Reaches 4-Year High, Pointing to Bullish Sentiment - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Crypto 101: How to Send and Receive Bitcoin Cash Via the Bitcoin.com Wallet | Featured - Bitcoin News - June 16th, 2020
- 6 Reasons Why 2020 Is a Great Year for Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Currency wars: The rise of bitcoin - Opinion - Jakarta Post - June 16th, 2020
- Encrypted Messaging Site Privnote Cloned to Steal Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin is becoming more trustworthy than big banks, says survey - Decrypt - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin-Friendly Top US Banking Regulator Aims to Solve Banks' Problems With Decentralization | News - Bitcoin News - June 14th, 2020