Bitcoin Cash is a cryptocurrency. In mid-2017, a group of developers wanting to increase bitcoin's block size limit prepared a code change. The change, called a hard fork, took effect on 1 August 2017. As a result, the bitcoin ledger called the blockchain and the cryptocurrency split in two. At the time of the fork anyone owning bitcoin was also in possession of the same number of Bitcoin Cash units. The technical difference between Bitcoin Cash and bitcoin is that Bitcoin Cash allows larger blocks in its blockchain than bitcoin, which in theory allows it to process more transactions per second.
On 15 November 2018 Bitcoin Cash split into two cryptocurrencies.
Bitcoin Cash is a cryptocurrency and a payment network. In relation to bitcoin it is characterized variously as a spin-off, a strand, a product of a hard fork, an offshoot, a clone, a second version or an altcoin.
The naming of Bitcoin Cash is contentious; it is sometimes referred to as Bcash.
Rising fees on the bitcoin network contributed to a push by some in the community to create a hard fork to increase the blocksize. This push came to a head in July 2017 when some members of the Bitcoin community including Roger Ver felt that adopting BIP 91 without increasing the block-size limit favored people who wanted to treat Bitcoin as a digital investment rather than as a transactional currency. This push by some to increase the block size met a resistance. Since its inception up to July 2017, bitcoin users had maintained a common set of rules for the cryptocurrency. Eventually, a group of bitcoin activists, investors, entrepreneurs, developers and largely China based miners were unhappy with bitcoin's proposed SegWit improvement plans meant to increase capacity and pushed forward alternative plans for a split which created Bitcoin Cash. The proposed split included a plan to increase the number of transactions its ledger can process by increasing the block size limit to eight megabytes.
The would-be hard fork with an expanded block size limit was described by hardware manufacturer Bitmain in June 2017 as a "contingency plan" should the Bitcoin community decide to fork; the first implementation of the software was proposed under the name Bitcoin ABC at a conference that month. In July 2017, the Bitcoin Cash name was proposed by mining pool ViaBTC.
On 1 August 2017 Bitcoin Cash began trading at about $240, while Bitcoin traded at about $2,700.
In 2018 Bitcoin Core developer Cory Fields found a bug in the Bitcoin ABC software that would have allowed an attacker to create a block causing a chain split. Fields notified the development team about it and the bug was fixed.
In November 2018, a hard-fork chain split of Bitcoin Cash occurred between two rival factions called Bitcoin ABC and Bitcoin SV. On 15 November 2018 Bitcoin Cash ABC traded at about $289 and Bitcoin SV traded at about $96.50, down from $425.01 on 14 November for the un-split Bitcoin Cash.
The split originated from what was described as a "civil war" in two competing bitcoin cash camps. The first camp, led by entrepreneur Roger Ver and Jihan Wu of Bitmain, promoted the software entitled Bitcoin ABC (short for Adjustable Blocksize Cap) which would maintain the block size at 32MB. The second camp led by Craig Steven Wright and billionaire Calvin Ayre put forth a competing software version Bitcoin SV, short for "Bitcoin Satoshi's Vision," that would increase the blocksize to 128MB.
The arguments have devolved over three or four years of bitter debate, the principles are real and they are important to preserve, but a lot of the drama has nothing to do with principles anymore. A lot of this debate is now more about hurt feelings. Its about bruised egos. Its about things that were said that cant be unsaid, insults that were exchanged, and personalities and ego.
Andreas Antonopoulos, "The Verge"
There are two factions of bitcoin supporters, that support large blocks or small blocks. The Bitcoin Cash faction favors the use of its currency as a medium of exchange for commerce while the bitcoin supporting faction view Bitcoin's primary use as that of a store of value. Some bitcoin supporters like to call Bitcoin Cash Bcash, Btrash, or simply, a scam, while Bitcoin Cash advocates insist that their implementation is the pure form of Bitcoin.
Bitcoin Cash trades on digital currency exchanges including Bitstamp, Coinbase, Gemini, Kraken, and ShapeShift using the Bitcoin Cash name and the BCH ticker symbol for the cryptocurrency. A few other exchanges use the BCC ticker symbol, though BCC is commonly used for Bitconnect. On 26 March 2018, OKEx removed all Bitcoin Cash trading pairs except for BCH/BTC, BCH/ETH and BCH/USDT due to "inadequate liquidity". As of May2018[update], daily transaction numbers for Bitcoin Cash are about one-tenth of those of bitcoin.
By November 2017 the value of Bitcoin Cash, which had been as high as $900, had fallen to around $300, much of that due to people who had originally held Bitcoin selling off the Bitcoin Cash they received at the hard fork. On 20 December 2017 it reached an intraday high of $4,355.62 and then fell 88% to $519.12 on 23 August 2018.
As of August 2018, Bitcoin Cash payments are supported by payment service providers such as BitPay, Coinify and GoCoin. The research firm Chainanalysis noted that in May 2018, 17 largest payment processing services such as BitPay, Coinify, and GoCoin processed Bitcoin Cash payments worth of US$3.7 million, down from US$10.5 million processed in March.
See the original post here:
Bitcoin Cash - Wikipedia
- 5 Major Bitcoin Trends To Watch In 2020 - Forbes - January 23rd, 2020
- The Evolution of Bitcoin's Technology Stack - Cointelegraph - January 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Begun Its Journey to Fresh All-Time Highs; Factors to Consider - newsBTC - January 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Indicator that Crashed Price to $3.1K Returns: The Dreaded Death Cross - newsBTC - January 23rd, 2020
- Largest Bitcoin (BTC) Investment Vehicle Now Registered As an SEC Reporting Company: Grayscale - The Daily Hodl - January 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Will Reach $400,000 after Halving If History Is to Be Taken into... - Coinspeaker - January 23rd, 2020
- Regulation will see Bitcoin go mainstream in the UK Coinfloor CEO - Yahoo Finance - January 23rd, 2020
- Tesla Vs Bitcoin: Which One You Should Hold by 2025? - Bitcoinist - January 23rd, 2020
- Instantaneous Bitcoin [BTC] Payment Will Soon be Enabled at Starbucks, Courtesy of Bakkt - Coingape - January 23rd, 2020
- How Much Influence Will China Have On The Future Of Bitcoin? - Bitcoinist - January 23rd, 2020
- Alleged bitcoin thieves arrested by Tokyo police over 78 million haul - The Japan Times - January 23rd, 2020
- An Analysis of Price Discovery in Bitcoin Spot Markets - Traders Magazine - January 23rd, 2020
- Billionaire Investor Sees Major Flaw In Bitcoin Investment Thesis - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Indicator Eyes First Bullish Turn Since August - Coindesk - January 22nd, 2020
- Swiss Banks Enter the Age of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin technology: Whats coming in 2020? - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Heres Why Wall Street Veteran Thinks Bitcoin Isnt a Viable Money, Yet - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Will The Bitcoin Price Get Demolished By Central Bank-Issued Cryptos? - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Now Reporting to the SEC, Grayscale Bitcoin Trust One Step Closer to Public Trading - Cointelegraph - January 22nd, 2020
- The Key Indicator That Led Massive Bitcoin Upsurge to $13.8K Just Blinked Again - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- These Two Crypto Exchanges Greatly Increased Their Bitcoin (BTC) Reserves in 2019 - U.Today - January 22nd, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Is Driving Altcoins To The Moon - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin, Crypto Assets are not Banned in India: RBI - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin is up 20% so far this year and one expert predicts it could hit $16,000 by year end - CNBC - January 22nd, 2020
- Institutional Money May Be Igniting the Current Bitcoin Rally - CCN.com - January 22nd, 2020
- New Analysis Finds That Mondays Are the Best Days to Buy Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Solves This: Billionaires Own More Than 4.6 Billion People Combined - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Heres Why Joe Rogan Is Not Convinced on Cryptocurrency and Bitcoin (BTC) - The Daily Hodl - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Biggest Opportunity Of 2020 - Seeking Alpha - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin SV (BSV) Is Up 40% but Analysts Arent Convinced Bulls Are Back - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin, ETH, XRP, And LTC Rally Gains Momentum: How Long Will It Last? - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Saw A Key Technical Breakout: Big Reaction From Bulls Imminent - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Plunging, But Its Too Early To Say Bulls Have Given Up - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- Is This Why Bitcoin SV Climbed Another 20% In the Last 24 Hours? - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- How Bitcoin's On-chain Activity and the Iran Crisis Correlate? - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Crypto market overview: Bitcoin (BTC) bulls lose initiative; altcoins drive the market higher - FXStreet - January 22nd, 2020
- Is Bitcoin the Answer to Trump's 'Generosity' Towards Banks? - Bitcoinist - January 22nd, 2020
- Report: Bitcoin outperforms banks in settlement times and reliability - Micky News - January 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Reaches Its Highest In More Than 2 Months - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Resurgent Bitcoin Will Likely Shrug Off Long-Term Bear Cross - Coindesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin's price rose 87% in 2019 here's what happened in Q4 - The Next Web - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin in 2020 Really Like the Early Internet? - CoinDesk - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV Has Suddenly Soared, Pushing Bitcoin To A Fresh 2020 HighHeres Why - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin: The Next Level - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin and major altcoins start the trip to the moon - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- US Judge Appoints Receiver To Oversee Butte Bitcoin Plant - MTPR - January 14th, 2020
- Adam Back: $10 Million Bitcoin Prediction Is Closer Than It Sounds - CCN.com - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk Teases Bitcoin Community With Tongue-In-Cheek Tweet - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Whale Alert: $1 Billion (0.7% Of Total Bitcoins) Just Transferred For $80 Fees - CryptoPotato - January 14th, 2020
- Former Coinbase VP: we moved billions of dollars into Bitcoin in large part because of Plaid - CryptoSlate - January 14th, 2020
- These Factors Suggest Bitcoin Cashs Recent Rally is Just Getting Started - newsBTC - January 14th, 2020
- 2019 Bitcoin Transaction Volume Moved Away From US in First Since 2013 - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ripple, Ethereum: Higher levels to watch after the bullish run - FXStreet - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Trading Volumes More than Doubled in a Week Says Report - Cointelegraph - January 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Equivalent of $4.7 Trillion Added to US Debt is $260k per BTC - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin Is About To Repeat Its 2019 Rally? - Bitcoinist - January 14th, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2019 - Forbes - January 1st, 2020
- Officials with Butte Bitcoin company suing major investor - KPAX-TV - January 1st, 2020
- Ethereums Price Action is Similar to Bitcoins at $3,000: An Insane Rally is Imminent - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Yearly Candle Shows Failed Rally, Longest Wick on Record - newsBTC - January 1st, 2020
- Etoro CEO Yoni Assia on Reaching 12 Million Users and Why Cryptos Are a Gateway to Stocks - Bitcoin News - January 1st, 2020
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2016 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Poised to Jump 40% Towards $10,000; Heres Why - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019
- The 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2015 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, despite its ups and downs, had a monster decade of growth - American Banker - December 31st, 2019
- 2010s In Bitcoin: The Year 2017 - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Price On Verge of Long-Term Doom; Heres Why - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Whats in Store for Bitcoin as the Year Draws to a Close - Market Realist - December 31st, 2019
- Why Bitcoin Price Is Likely to Gain Momentum After New Years - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin, Ethereum are most profitable investments of the decade - Decrypt - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin to Benefit More from Trade War in 2020 than Halving - newsBTC - December 31st, 2019
- TronWallet Fires Away Updated Version with Bitcoin Transactions and TRX to BTC Swap Feature - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin in 2019: Positive BTC Performance Across the Board - Bitcoinist - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin Alchemy: BTC Turns 100 Grams of Gold into Eight Tons - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Is Bitcoin Resilient Enough to Take on Cyber Threats in 2020? - Bitcoinist - December 31st, 2019
- This Bitcoin Halvening Could Be Drastically Different, According to Bloomberg Analyst - U.Today - December 31st, 2019
- Bitcoin's Next Decade Will Be Shaped by Derivatives - Bitcoin News - December 31st, 2019
- Analyst Who Predicted Bitcoins Plunge Months Ago: Price to Top $20,000 By Early 2021 - Ethereum World News - December 31st, 2019
- Is BSV the real Bitcoin? - CoinGeek - December 31st, 2019
- 2020 predictions for gold, bitcoin and other precious metals - Money Observer - December 31st, 2019