Bitcoin Cash is a cryptocurrency. In mid-2017, a group of developers wanting to increase bitcoin's block size limit prepared a code change. The change, called a hard fork, took effect on 1 August 2017. As a result, the bitcoin ledger called the blockchain and the cryptocurrency split in two. At the time of the fork anyone owning bitcoin was also in possession of the same number of Bitcoin Cash units. The technical difference between Bitcoin Cash and bitcoin is that Bitcoin Cash allows larger blocks in its blockchain than bitcoin, which in theory allows it to process more transactions per second.
On 15 November 2018 Bitcoin Cash split into two cryptocurrencies.
Bitcoin Cash is a cryptocurrency and a payment network. In relation to bitcoin it is characterized variously as a spin-off, a strand, a product of a hard fork, an offshoot, a clone, a second version or an altcoin.
The naming of Bitcoin Cash is contentious; it is sometimes referred to as Bcash.
Rising fees on the bitcoin network contributed to a push by some in the community to create a hard fork to increase the blocksize. This push came to a head in July 2017 when some members of the Bitcoin community including Roger Ver felt that adopting BIP 91 without increasing the block-size limit favored people who wanted to treat Bitcoin as a digital investment rather than as a transactional currency. This push by some to increase the block size met a resistance. Since its inception up to July 2017, bitcoin users had maintained a common set of rules for the cryptocurrency. Eventually, a group of bitcoin activists, investors, entrepreneurs, developers and largely China based miners were unhappy with bitcoin's proposed SegWit improvement plans meant to increase capacity and pushed forward alternative plans for a split which created Bitcoin Cash. The proposed split included a plan to increase the number of transactions its ledger can process by increasing the block size limit to eight megabytes.
The would-be hard fork with an expanded block size limit was described by hardware manufacturer Bitmain in June 2017 as a "contingency plan" should the Bitcoin community decide to fork; the first implementation of the software was proposed under the name Bitcoin ABC at a conference that month. In July 2017, the Bitcoin Cash name was proposed by mining pool ViaBTC.
On 1 August 2017 Bitcoin Cash began trading at about $240, while Bitcoin traded at about $2,700.
In 2018 Bitcoin Core developer Cory Fields found a bug in the Bitcoin ABC software that would have allowed an attacker to create a block causing a chain split. Fields notified the development team about it and the bug was fixed.
In November 2018, a hard-fork chain split of Bitcoin Cash occurred between two rival factions called Bitcoin ABC and Bitcoin SV. On 15 November 2018 Bitcoin Cash ABC traded at about $289 and Bitcoin SV traded at about $96.50, down from $425.01 on 14 November for the un-split Bitcoin Cash.
The split originated from what was described as a "civil war" in two competing bitcoin cash camps. The first camp, led by entrepreneur Roger Ver and Jihan Wu of Bitmain, promoted the software entitled Bitcoin ABC (short for Adjustable Blocksize Cap) which would maintain the block size at 32MB. The second camp led by Craig Steven Wright and billionaire Calvin Ayre put forth a competing software version Bitcoin SV, short for "Bitcoin Satoshi's Vision," that would increase the blocksize to 128MB.
The arguments have devolved over three or four years of bitter debate, the principles are real and they are important to preserve, but a lot of the drama has nothing to do with principles anymore. A lot of this debate is now more about hurt feelings. Its about bruised egos. Its about things that were said that cant be unsaid, insults that were exchanged, and personalities and ego.
Andreas Antonopoulos, "The Verge"
There are two factions of bitcoin supporters, that support large blocks or small blocks. The Bitcoin Cash faction favors the use of its currency as a medium of exchange for commerce while the bitcoin supporting faction view Bitcoin's primary use as that of a store of value. Some bitcoin supporters like to call Bitcoin Cash Bcash, Btrash, or simply, a scam, while Bitcoin Cash advocates insist that their implementation is the pure form of Bitcoin.
Bitcoin Cash trades on digital currency exchanges including Bitstamp, Coinbase, Gemini, Kraken, and ShapeShift using the Bitcoin Cash name and the BCH ticker symbol for the cryptocurrency. A few other exchanges use the BCC ticker symbol, though BCC is commonly used for Bitconnect. On 26 March 2018, OKEx removed all Bitcoin Cash trading pairs except for BCH/BTC, BCH/ETH and BCH/USDT due to "inadequate liquidity". As of May2018[update], daily transaction numbers for Bitcoin Cash are about one-tenth of those of bitcoin.
By November 2017 the value of Bitcoin Cash, which had been as high as $900, had fallen to around $300, much of that due to people who had originally held Bitcoin selling off the Bitcoin Cash they received at the hard fork. On 20 December 2017 it reached an intraday high of $4,355.62 and then fell 88% to $519.12 on 23 August 2018.
As of August 2018, Bitcoin Cash payments are supported by payment service providers such as BitPay, Coinify and GoCoin. The research firm Chainanalysis noted that in May 2018, 17 largest payment processing services such as BitPay, Coinify, and GoCoin processed Bitcoin Cash payments worth of US$3.7 million, down from US$10.5 million processed in March.
See the original post here:
Bitcoin Cash - Wikipedia
- Bitcoin: Why You Need It - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- Prominent Analyst: Bitcoin Likely on Cusp of Making a Major Price Movement - newsBTC - December 7th, 2019
- If Bitcoin Looks Like It Isnt Trading, Its Because It Isnt - The Wall Street Journal - December 7th, 2019
- Facebook, Yahoo, And MSN Users Warned Over Serious New $250,000 Bitcoin Scam - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- Bitcoin price prediction: BTC/USD consolidates its position above the $7,500-level - FXStreet - December 7th, 2019
- The North American Bitcoin Conference Returns - Bitcoin News - December 7th, 2019
- Almost $9 Bln in Bitcoin Transferred, Reports Whale Alert, XRP Can't Do That, Bitcoiner Says - U.Today - December 7th, 2019
- Bitcoin battered: The worst crypto catastrophes of 2019 - ZDNet - December 6th, 2019
- Theres Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Futures - Forbes - December 6th, 2019
- Ethereum (ETH) Flirts With Key Resistance, Bitcoin Up 3% - newsBTC - December 6th, 2019
- Tim Draper Says His $250,000 Bitcoin Price Prediction Is Not Based on Halvening - U.Today - December 6th, 2019
- Now Is One of the Top 3 Greatest Buying Opportunities for Bitcoin: Analyst - CCN.com - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin's bumpy revolution may be only just beginning - The Independent - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) gets $500 more expensive in a matter of minutes. Whales behind the move? - FXStreet - December 6th, 2019
- Florida company headquarters relocation stalled after Bitcoin bust - Orlando - Orlando Business Journal - December 6th, 2019
- Billionaire Ray Dalio on Bitcoin and Stablecoins: Possibly Never - U.Today - December 6th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin is in recovery mode ahead of the weekend - FXStreet - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin CME Futures Gaps Are Filled With 95% Certainty, But Trading Them Is Risky - newsBTC - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin Trades Range-Bound As Investors Wait And See - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Why a massive $9 billion of bitcoin moved in one hour - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- Prominent Investor Says Halving Won't Have a Big Impact on Bitcoin Price, Here's Why - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Crypto Is UnstoppableIs Bitcoin Really On The Cusp Of A Huge Santa Rally? - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- 70 cryptocurrency hedge funds have closed so far this year, investors weary of Bitcoin - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- How the bitcoin market always overreacts - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- $60 million liquidated as Bitcoin pumps 8% in three minutes - Yahoo Finance - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin To Spend 2020 In Accumulation Mode, Ideal Buy Zone - newsBTC - December 5th, 2019
- Four Bitcoin lost on the Lightning Network finally recovered - Yahoo Finance - December 5th, 2019
- Danish bank staff banned from buying Bitcoin with their own money urged to dump holdings - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- Watch the first-ever bitcoin TV commercial launched in France - Fox Business - December 5th, 2019
- Peter Schiff on Bitcoin Price Drop: "Pump-and-Dumpers Are Losing Their Mojo" - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Is Bitcoin a better investment than gold, oil and stocks? - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Blasts Past $7,500, but Bulls Are Not Out of the Woods Yet - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD recovery stalled at $7,400 Confluence Detector - FXStreet - December 5th, 2019
- 24 Chinese nationals arrested in Thailand over alleged Bitcoin call center scam - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- Single Bitcoin Block Moves Funds the Size of Satoshi's Stash - Bitcoinist - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) Relatively Muted, Signs of Further Weakness - newsBTC - December 5th, 2019
- Top 3 price prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: The calm before the storm - FXStreet - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Ponzi Scheme That Keeps Dumping BTC Blamed for Bearish Price Action - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Voyager Pays Out the First Month of Interest to Bitcoin (BTC) Holders - SludgeFeed - December 5th, 2019
- Is This Why Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, And Ripples XRP Suddenly Rocketed Over Thanksgiving? - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Two Years of Upside? Bitcoin Yearly Candles Hint Explosive Price Growth Incoming - newsBTC - December 2nd, 2019
- Calvin Ayre Increases Investment in Bitcoin SV Ecosystem with Funding for sCrypt Smart Contract Venture - PRNewswire - December 2nd, 2019
- How the Upcoming Bitcoin Halving Compares to Previous Cycles - Bitcoin News - December 2nd, 2019
- BitCoin and Cryptoasset Regulation: Recent Cases from Canada - JD Supra - December 2nd, 2019
- Understanding the distribution of the crypto market: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Cardano - FXStreet - December 2nd, 2019
- Vertcoin Network Sabotaged by Another 51% Attack - Bitcoin News - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoin Drops 4.53%, But Downtrend Has Cooled and Dominance is Now Heading Up | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - December 2nd, 2019
- Technical Weekly - Bitcoin bulls on thin ice; Altcoins mixed - FXStreet - December 2nd, 2019
- As Bitcoin Suddenly Bounces, A New Central Bank Crypto Rival Could End Evil Bitcoin - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Here Are The Key Bitcoin Levels To Watch - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Xi sees the future of China in the tech behind bitcoin - South China Morning Post - December 2nd, 2019
- How Bitcoin points to the future of decentralized protest - Decrypt - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoins Hash Rate is On the Decline; Heres What This Could Mean - Ethereum World News - December 2nd, 2019
- Sunday Digest: Bitcoin Price And Other Crypto News - Bitcoinist - December 2nd, 2019
- The reformation of Bitcoin - CoinGeek - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoin Has Wall Streets Love. But a Lack of Utility Means It Doesnt Have Investors. - Barron's - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Isnt Dead But One Day You Will Be - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Could Be an Alternative to Endless Money Printing - BeInCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Move Over Jack Dorsey And Elon Musk, Theres A New Bitcoin Believer In Silicon Valley - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gets a Big Boost in Germany After Banks Allowed to Offer Cryptocurrencies - BeInCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash can go up a thousand times from where it is now: 'Bitcoin Jesus' - CNBC - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gives the World Democratization of Savings Hedge Fund Exec - Cointelegraph - November 30th, 2019
- Zeitgeist and Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - November 30th, 2019
- What the Fed Reserve's Balance Sheet Expansion Means for Bitcoin - Coindesk - November 30th, 2019
- Will Bitcoin Hit Peak Exhaustion in 2019 End? What Indicators Show - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Now Faces Its Do-or-Die Moment. Will It Drop to $6,200? - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Nobody knows what happened to this bitcoin exchange CEO - Decrypt - November 30th, 2019
- Forget the Noise; Traders Explain Why You Should Be Long-Term Bullish on Bitcoin - CCN.com - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin price: values show signing of recovery following slump - The Week UK - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin is hard to understand. So is its carbon footprint. - Grist - November 30th, 2019
- TV Host Refusing Free 100 Bitcoin Because Its Worthless Is Hypocritical - CCN.com - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin adoption to be driven by collateralized services: Max Keiser - AMBCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Instead of Apartments: Director of Failed Property Developer Bought Crypto with Customers' D - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoins Bounce Bumped Into The Resistance - Yahoo Finance - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Fell 50% From Its 2019 High. Has It Bottomed Out? - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin price suddenly surges amid positive predictions - The Independent - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin is Screaming to Investors That Volatility is Inbound - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- 4 Possible Reasons Bitcoin Dropped to $6.5K, According to VanEck Exec - Cointelegraph - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin has crashed again little wonder as it fails every test to be considered a currency - The Independent - November 26th, 2019
- Latest Bitcoin Cash price and analysis (BCH to USD) - Yahoo Finance - November 26th, 2019