Emerging out of the financial crisis, bitcoin was created as a bypass to the banks and government agencies mired in Wall Streets greatest calamity in decades. The cryptocurrency was slow to break into the market at first, muddied by a slew of scandals. But since joining the mainstream, its proved to be the decades best-performing asset.
The largest digital token, trading around $7,200, has posted gains of more than 9,000,000% since July 2010, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
Bitcoin really captured that wild technology enthusiasm that this time is different, said Peter Atwater, the president of Financial Insyghts and an adjunct professor at William & Mary in Williamsburg, Va.
The performance over the past 10 years, even with its huge run-up and subsequent mega-crash, leaves all others in the dust. Its a massive windfall for those who held on through its ups and downs, even as it continues to provide fodder for get-rich-quick schemes. For some, the never-ending fantasy of continually hitting that payoff still helps to keep bitcoins momentum going.
Nothing else comes even close to beating it. The S&P 500 merely tripled in that period. An index that tracks world markets has more than doubled. Gold is up 25%. Some of the best-performing stocks in the Russell 3000 including Exact Sciences and Intelligent Systems are each up about 3,000%. Those gains pale in comparison to the finance worlds latest and one of its most controversial marvels.
Partly, the monster return is a reflection of the calculus behind bitcoins jumping-off point: The token wasnt worth anything when someone named Satoshi Nakamoto launched it on Halloween 2008.
Designed as a method of exchange that can be sent electronically between users around the world, it did not have a centralized control network. Bitcoin, instead, is run by a network of computers that keep track of all transactions on the blockchain ledger. For many, that technology was reason enough to buy into the idea.
On the other side of the equation are bitcoins devoted enthusiasts who saw in its technology a promising way to change the global financial system.
This is the first time that theres a real separation just like church and state you have a separation of money and state, said Alex Mashinsky, founder of Celsius Network, a crypto lending platform. Thats the innovation, thats the excitement.
But bitcoin was slow to take off, notching its first transaction two years after its creation, when someone used it to buy pizza. Since then, the first-born tokens price has catapulted, doubling many times over, and hundreds of imitators have cropped up some with more success than others.
Many of those who got in early stayed faithful, watching as it made its way through a boom and bust cycle unrivaled by almost anything else over the last decade.
At the beginning of 2017, bitcoin jumped above $1,000. By midsummer, it had more than doubled. By year-end, it hovered above $14,000. But as swiftly as it ran up, it fell even faster. By the end of 2018, bitcoin barely budged above $3,000. Yet shortly after its crash, it embarked on another huge rally, this time reaching as high as $13,800 in the summer of 2019.
Certainly the numbers are what appeals to investors, said David Tawil, president of ProChain Capital. The next 10 years need to be a totally different stage of growth based on totally different factors than the first stage.
As much as its made a fortune for speculators and some thieves, bitcoins survival will rest on further adoption. Its not being used as a widespread medium of exchange. A few large retailers are accepting payment in bitcoin, but it hasnt been the large-scale embrace so many had predicted. Scams are still running rampant. Interest is waning and consolidation among large owners is at a higher level than it was during the height of the 2017 bubble, which means that their influence over prices could be increasing.
Projections for the next decade abound. In the 2020s, mass adoption is surely to take off, they say. On the other hand, regulatory scrutiny is likely to intensify, with central bankers paying closer attention than ever before.
In the more immediate term, some speculators forecast 2020 might be less fraught with volatility given its upcoming halving, whereby the number of coins awarded to so-called miners who process transactions is cut by 50%. Thats set to happen in May. The coins previous cut, about four years ago, coincided with a run-up in its price, pushing many crypto evangelists to believe in a repeat.
To Andy Bromberg, co-founder and president of CoinList, the halving is already priced in. Maybe its been overpriced in and everyones bought into this thesis and we see a dip post-halving, Bromberg said in an interview. That would not shock me.
- The Biggest Threat To Bitcoin Is Back On Track - Forbes - February 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus and Three Major Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Broke Below $9.4K - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin tumbles along with stocks amid coronavirus, questioning 'safe haven' theory - Yahoo Finance - February 25th, 2020
- Why the analyst who called Bitcoins crash to $3,000 believes market could crater - CryptoSlate - February 25th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Why Bitcoin Is Likely Going Much Higher From Here - Seeking Alpha - February 25th, 2020
- Tron CEO: Bitcoin to Break $100K in 2025 and Pull Up Other Coins - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Upcoming Bitcoin bull will be the last one we can predict, claims China mining tycoon - Decrypt - February 25th, 2020
- The Knives are Out on Crypto Twitter as Bitcoin OG Turns into Altcoin Shill - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Adoption Growing at Hyberbolic Rate, Half the World Set to Use Crypto in 7 Years: Willy Woo - The Daily Hodl - February 25th, 2020
- Beanie Babies and Black Markets: Where Mainstream Media Gets Bitcoin Wrong - Nasdaq - February 25th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin Cash price and analysis (BCH to USD) - Coin Rivet - February 25th, 2020
- The Stories of Bitcoin Magazine Revisited - Bitcoin Magazine - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Coronavirus Selloff Throws Cold Water on Safe-Haven Argument - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 25th, 2020
- Binance CEO Makes Rare Price PredictionSays This Is When To Buy Bitcoin - Forbes - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoins Potential to Benefit the African-American Community - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- How to Protect Bitcoin for Your Heirs With the Push of a 'Dead Man's Button' - CoinDesk - Coindesk - February 25th, 2020
- Theres a new way to anonymously swap Bitcoin for Monero - Decrypt - February 25th, 2020
- This Critical Bitcoin Short-Term Top is Sparking Big Correction Fears - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- On-Chain Activity Suggests Bitcoin Price Volatility Will Continue, Thanks to 'Whales' - Coindesk - February 25th, 2020
- The Surprising Way Millions Are Being Introduced To Bitcoin - Forbes - February 25th, 2020
- SEC to Decide the Fate of Another Bitcoin ETF Proposal This Week - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 25th, 2020
- After Overnight Flash Crash, Here Are 5 Reasons Why Bitcoin Will Rally Again - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- The Simpsons Just Ran a Bitcoin Segment, and Crypto Twitter Is Raving About It - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- Why is the Bitcoin price crashing in tandem with the Dow Jones? - CryptoSlate - February 25th, 2020
- Over $17 Million USD In Bitcoin Contracts Liquidated, Is A Selloff To $9,000 On The Cards? - Coingape - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Fights to Hold $9.5K to Stave Off a Trend Reversal - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies, still directionless - FXStreet - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Gold Is Held Captive by Whale With Almost Half the Supply - Cointelegraph - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Signaled Sell And Its Vulnerable to a Massive Correction - newsBTC - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Following Decent $300 Surge Is Bitcoin Ready To Conquer $10,000 Again, Or Just A Temp Correction? - CryptoPotato - February 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin Bulls Back in the Driving Seat as Price Crosses $10K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - February 19th, 2020
- The U.S. Is Very Worried About BitcoinAnd Its Finally Doing Something About It - Forbes - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Ready to Explode, According to This Key Metric - CCN.com - February 19th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Running a Bitcoin Node Is Easier Than You Think - Bitcoinist - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin to See a Massive Trend-Defining Movement Because of This Simple Pattern - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Zooms Past $10,200 But Are We Really Done With The Downside? - Coingape - February 19th, 2020
- 3 Things You Need To Be A Successful Bitcoin HODLer - Bitcoinist - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin [BTC] Forms Key Bullish Pattern That Doubled BTCs Value; Possible Run To $20K? - Coingape - February 19th, 2020
- Real Bitcoin volume is exploding as seen in Bakkt, fueling the crypto rally - CryptoSlate - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin back to $10K Proves the Bulls Still in Command - FXStreet - February 19th, 2020
- Heres Why Bitcoin Bulls Need To Be Very Careful Here: A Big Pullback Is Still Possible - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Is Used by Activists and Refugees to Promote Human Rights - CoinDesk - February 19th, 2020
- Here's how bitcoin gets to $12,000 - CNBC - February 19th, 2020
- Tron CEO Failed to Convince Warren Buffet on the Merits of Bitcoin - newsBTC - February 19th, 2020
- Jimmy Nguyen discusses future of sports with Bitcoin SV - CoinGeek - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin is coming to Ethereum, again - Decrypt - February 19th, 2020
- How Bitcoin Optech Is Connecting the Open-Source and Corporate Worlds - Bitcoin Magazine - February 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Has Set $8.2K Floor, $100K Coming Before 2022 Analyst - Cointelegraph - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Roaring Toward $10,000 But Its Being Wrecked By These Other Cryptos - Forbes - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Takes a Dive After the Longest Daily Winning Run Since September - Coindesk - February 11th, 2020
- The US government lost $1.7 billion by selling Bitcoin too early - The Next Web - February 11th, 2020
- A major crypto scams Bitcoin is moving and if history repeats, it may start a correction - CryptoSlate - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Hits $10,000 for the First Time in 2020 Up 40% YTD - Cointelegraph - February 11th, 2020
- Where to Buy the Dip in Bitcoin [BTC] below $10k? Price Analysts Suggest - Coingape - February 11th, 2020
- Why Trump Should Unveil A U.S. Answer To Bitcoin To Rival Chinas Digital Yuan - Forbes - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Drops Below $10,000, But If It Holds Here New 2020 Highs Might Come Very Soon - CryptoPotato - February 11th, 2020
- Binance Coin Rises on the Day Bitcoin Fails to Sustain above $10K - newsBTC - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Paranoia: The Neurosis of Private Key Safekeeping And Why We Need a New Paradigm - The Daily Hodl - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin hit three big milestones this week - Decrypt - February 11th, 2020
- Crypto Tidbits: Bitcoin Nears $10,000, Tron CEOs Warren Buffett Rendezvous, Ethereum DeFi Hits $1B - newsBTC - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin Taxation Support Growing Industry Here are 5 Useful Cryptocurrency Tax Calculators - Bitcoin News - February 11th, 2020
- Bitmain, Ebang, Canaan, and MicroBT to Cement Control over Bitcoin Mining Market in... - Coinspeaker - February 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Altcoins Continue Post-Rally Correction - Cryptonews - February 11th, 2020
- Exchange Deposits in Bitcoin Slide to Lowest Level in 3 Years - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoins Crucial Weekly Close Will Determine Whether It Enters a Real Bull Market - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Erased Over 45% of 2019 Sell-Off in Just 7 Weeks - CoinDesk - February 8th, 2020
- Stakes For Bitcoin Are Highest Since The 2017 Bubble - Forbes - February 8th, 2020
- Is There Any Truth to the Tesla-Bitcoin Parallels? - CCN.com - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin SV (BSV) Jumps 17% Out of Nowhere - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- Crypto Researcher Hasu Flags Attack That Could Bring 'Purge'-Style Mayhem to Bitcoin - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin logs best January performance in 7 years as value surges by nearly $40 billion - CNBC - February 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Explodes as Rare Bull Signal Flashes For the First Time in 10 Months - newsBTC - February 8th, 2020
- How the Long Tail of the Coronavirus Might Slow Bitcoin's Hash Power Growth - Coindesk - February 8th, 2020
- Meet the KFC Worker Who Ran a Bitcoin Drug Empire From His Attic - Bitcoinist - February 8th, 2020
- 'Stale' Block Reminds the Importance of Bitcoin Confirmations - Cryptonews - February 8th, 2020
- Bitfinex Bitcoin whale hints recent BTC rally to $9,850 is manipulated and unsustainable - CryptoSlate - February 8th, 2020
- Will Genesis upgrade signal the beginning of the Bitcoin financial powerhouse? - ZDNet - February 8th, 2020
- Dutch university pays $220K in Bitcoin to alleged Russian hackers - The Next Web - February 8th, 2020
- Lightning Labs Raises $10M Series A to Be the 'Visa' of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - February 8th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Changes His Take on Bitcoin (BTC) Is This Real? - U.Today - February 8th, 2020