In 2013, one bitcoin cost $20. In 2017, it costs $20 to send one bitcoin. With record highs, thriving adoption, and media attention, this should be a celebratory time for bitcoin believers. And yet its hard to shake the feeling that something isnt quite right. How did we reach a point where the worlds bank killer and Western Union crippler has become incapable of taking on the institutions it once sneered at? Bitcoin is hot as hell right now. But its also a mess.
Also read:Bitpay Plans to Use Bitcoin Cash for Payment Invoices and Debit Loads
By any reckoning, 2017 has been a phenomenal year for bitcoin. Even the currencys most ardent supporters would have struggled, 12 months ago, to predict the current state of affairs. But neither could they have envisaged, in their worst nightmares, it costing upwards of $20 to transfer a fraction of a coin. To chalk this year up as an unfettered success story calls for moving the goalposts and performing mental gymnastics. Bitcoin has made great leaps alright. Its just unfortunate that not all of them have been forwards.
It can be debated whether Satoshis white paper envisioned bitcoin as a P2P settlement for micro-transactions. What cant be debated is that bitcoin is effectively now unsendable and undependable for anything under a couple of hundred dollars. From the clearnet to the darknet, the conversation is the same: fees have become untenable. Despite this, bitcoins most ardent defenders remain in denial.
On some corners of the internet, questioning the gospel of Satoshi and the infallibility of bitcoin is heresy. I cant send a friend five dollars without a $15 transaction fee and this is the currency of the future? raged one Redditor, to which the first three responses on r/bitcoin ran:
Theres a modicum of truth to these rejoinders, but in the here and now, muh segwit or just wait for LN isnt much help.
Everyone has their price, a dollar figure at which theyd be willing to sell bitcoin, and also a figure theyre willing to pay to send it. Paying $20 to transfer $10 million of bitcoin seems reasonable. Paying the same amount to send $100 worth seems ridiculous. Bitcoin has been unsuitable for micro-transactions for some time, but its now reaching a stage where its unsuitable for mid-sized transactions.
Is bitcoin a store of wealth because thats its best use case, or has it simply morphed into one because no one can afford to move it?
Many of bitcoins new investors are of humble means, setting aside $50 a week or whatever they can spare to put into digital currency. Always store your coins in a wallet you hold the private key for, they were urged. Now theyre discovering that their only option is to store their bitcoin on an exchange, at least until their holdings reach a level where its practical to withdraw to a hardware wallet.
If cryptocurrencies were to be likened to energy sources, bitcoin would be coal: expensive to move and impractical to transport in small quantities. Its impossible to order a handful of coal every time you want to light a fire: its a sackful or nothing. Ethereum (gas) and bitcoin cash (hydro) are the opposite: cheap and on tap.
Coal does have one thing in its favor though longevity. In cryptocurrency terms, bitcoin is a veritable fossil. Its been there from the start and, thanks to its market dominance, brand recognition, and capital locked in, will be extremely hard to destroy. Scaling solutions will probably arrive, and transaction fees will eventually drop, though quite when is anyones guess. The question is if those solutions will arrive in time. Until then, bitcoin will continue to serve as coal fueling the furnace on the runaway Cryptocurrency Express: an indispensable hot mess.
What do you think is the solution to high fees? And what measures have you been taking to mitigate rising fees? Let us know in the comments section below.
Images courtesy of Shutterstock.
Express yourself freely at Bitcoin.coms user forums. We dont censor on political grounds. Check forum.Bitcoin.com.
See the article here:
Bitcoin Fees Have Become Infeasible - Bitcoin News
- Bitcoin: Why You Need It - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- Prominent Analyst: Bitcoin Likely on Cusp of Making a Major Price Movement - newsBTC - December 7th, 2019
- If Bitcoin Looks Like It Isnt Trading, Its Because It Isnt - The Wall Street Journal - December 7th, 2019
- Facebook, Yahoo, And MSN Users Warned Over Serious New $250,000 Bitcoin Scam - Forbes - December 7th, 2019
- Bitcoin price prediction: BTC/USD consolidates its position above the $7,500-level - FXStreet - December 7th, 2019
- The North American Bitcoin Conference Returns - Bitcoin News - December 7th, 2019
- Almost $9 Bln in Bitcoin Transferred, Reports Whale Alert, XRP Can't Do That, Bitcoiner Says - U.Today - December 7th, 2019
- Bitcoin battered: The worst crypto catastrophes of 2019 - ZDNet - December 6th, 2019
- Theres Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Futures - Forbes - December 6th, 2019
- Ethereum (ETH) Flirts With Key Resistance, Bitcoin Up 3% - newsBTC - December 6th, 2019
- Tim Draper Says His $250,000 Bitcoin Price Prediction Is Not Based on Halvening - U.Today - December 6th, 2019
- Now Is One of the Top 3 Greatest Buying Opportunities for Bitcoin: Analyst - CCN.com - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin's bumpy revolution may be only just beginning - The Independent - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) gets $500 more expensive in a matter of minutes. Whales behind the move? - FXStreet - December 6th, 2019
- Florida company headquarters relocation stalled after Bitcoin bust - Orlando - Orlando Business Journal - December 6th, 2019
- Billionaire Ray Dalio on Bitcoin and Stablecoins: Possibly Never - U.Today - December 6th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin is in recovery mode ahead of the weekend - FXStreet - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin CME Futures Gaps Are Filled With 95% Certainty, But Trading Them Is Risky - newsBTC - December 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin Trades Range-Bound As Investors Wait And See - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Why a massive $9 billion of bitcoin moved in one hour - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- Prominent Investor Says Halving Won't Have a Big Impact on Bitcoin Price, Here's Why - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Crypto Is UnstoppableIs Bitcoin Really On The Cusp Of A Huge Santa Rally? - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- 70 cryptocurrency hedge funds have closed so far this year, investors weary of Bitcoin - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- How the bitcoin market always overreacts - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- $60 million liquidated as Bitcoin pumps 8% in three minutes - Yahoo Finance - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin To Spend 2020 In Accumulation Mode, Ideal Buy Zone - newsBTC - December 5th, 2019
- Four Bitcoin lost on the Lightning Network finally recovered - Yahoo Finance - December 5th, 2019
- Danish bank staff banned from buying Bitcoin with their own money urged to dump holdings - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- Watch the first-ever bitcoin TV commercial launched in France - Fox Business - December 5th, 2019
- Peter Schiff on Bitcoin Price Drop: "Pump-and-Dumpers Are Losing Their Mojo" - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Is Bitcoin a better investment than gold, oil and stocks? - Decrypt - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Blasts Past $7,500, but Bulls Are Not Out of the Woods Yet - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Prediction: BTC/USD recovery stalled at $7,400 Confluence Detector - FXStreet - December 5th, 2019
- 24 Chinese nationals arrested in Thailand over alleged Bitcoin call center scam - The Next Web - December 5th, 2019
- Single Bitcoin Block Moves Funds the Size of Satoshi's Stash - Bitcoinist - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin (BTC) Relatively Muted, Signs of Further Weakness - newsBTC - December 5th, 2019
- Top 3 price prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: The calm before the storm - FXStreet - December 5th, 2019
- Bitcoin Ponzi Scheme That Keeps Dumping BTC Blamed for Bearish Price Action - U.Today - December 5th, 2019
- Voyager Pays Out the First Month of Interest to Bitcoin (BTC) Holders - SludgeFeed - December 5th, 2019
- Is This Why Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, And Ripples XRP Suddenly Rocketed Over Thanksgiving? - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Two Years of Upside? Bitcoin Yearly Candles Hint Explosive Price Growth Incoming - newsBTC - December 2nd, 2019
- Calvin Ayre Increases Investment in Bitcoin SV Ecosystem with Funding for sCrypt Smart Contract Venture - PRNewswire - December 2nd, 2019
- How the Upcoming Bitcoin Halving Compares to Previous Cycles - Bitcoin News - December 2nd, 2019
- BitCoin and Cryptoasset Regulation: Recent Cases from Canada - JD Supra - December 2nd, 2019
- Understanding the distribution of the crypto market: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Cardano - FXStreet - December 2nd, 2019
- Vertcoin Network Sabotaged by Another 51% Attack - Bitcoin News - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoin Drops 4.53%, But Downtrend Has Cooled and Dominance is Now Heading Up | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - December 2nd, 2019
- Technical Weekly - Bitcoin bulls on thin ice; Altcoins mixed - FXStreet - December 2nd, 2019
- As Bitcoin Suddenly Bounces, A New Central Bank Crypto Rival Could End Evil Bitcoin - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Here Are The Key Bitcoin Levels To Watch - Forbes - December 2nd, 2019
- Xi sees the future of China in the tech behind bitcoin - South China Morning Post - December 2nd, 2019
- How Bitcoin points to the future of decentralized protest - Decrypt - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoins Hash Rate is On the Decline; Heres What This Could Mean - Ethereum World News - December 2nd, 2019
- Sunday Digest: Bitcoin Price And Other Crypto News - Bitcoinist - December 2nd, 2019
- The reformation of Bitcoin - CoinGeek - December 2nd, 2019
- Bitcoin Has Wall Streets Love. But a Lack of Utility Means It Doesnt Have Investors. - Barron's - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Isnt Dead But One Day You Will Be - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Could Be an Alternative to Endless Money Printing - BeInCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Move Over Jack Dorsey And Elon Musk, Theres A New Bitcoin Believer In Silicon Valley - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gets a Big Boost in Germany After Banks Allowed to Offer Cryptocurrencies - BeInCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Cash can go up a thousand times from where it is now: 'Bitcoin Jesus' - CNBC - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Gives the World Democratization of Savings Hedge Fund Exec - Cointelegraph - November 30th, 2019
- Zeitgeist and Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - November 30th, 2019
- What the Fed Reserve's Balance Sheet Expansion Means for Bitcoin - Coindesk - November 30th, 2019
- Will Bitcoin Hit Peak Exhaustion in 2019 End? What Indicators Show - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Now Faces Its Do-or-Die Moment. Will It Drop to $6,200? - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Nobody knows what happened to this bitcoin exchange CEO - Decrypt - November 30th, 2019
- Forget the Noise; Traders Explain Why You Should Be Long-Term Bullish on Bitcoin - CCN.com - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin price: values show signing of recovery following slump - The Week UK - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin is hard to understand. So is its carbon footprint. - Grist - November 30th, 2019
- TV Host Refusing Free 100 Bitcoin Because Its Worthless Is Hypocritical - CCN.com - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin adoption to be driven by collateralized services: Max Keiser - AMBCrypto - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Instead of Apartments: Director of Failed Property Developer Bought Crypto with Customers' D - U.Today - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoins Bounce Bumped Into The Resistance - Yahoo Finance - November 30th, 2019
- Bitcoin Fell 50% From Its 2019 High. Has It Bottomed Out? - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin price suddenly surges amid positive predictions - The Independent - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin is Screaming to Investors That Volatility is Inbound - Forbes - November 26th, 2019
- 4 Possible Reasons Bitcoin Dropped to $6.5K, According to VanEck Exec - Cointelegraph - November 26th, 2019
- Bitcoin has crashed again little wonder as it fails every test to be considered a currency - The Independent - November 26th, 2019
- Latest Bitcoin Cash price and analysis (BCH to USD) - Yahoo Finance - November 26th, 2019