In 2013, one bitcoin cost $20. In 2017, it costs $20 to send one bitcoin. With record highs, thriving adoption, and media attention, this should be a celebratory time for bitcoin believers. And yet its hard to shake the feeling that something isnt quite right. How did we reach a point where the worlds bank killer and Western Union crippler has become incapable of taking on the institutions it once sneered at? Bitcoin is hot as hell right now. But its also a mess.
Also read:Bitpay Plans to Use Bitcoin Cash for Payment Invoices and Debit Loads
By any reckoning, 2017 has been a phenomenal year for bitcoin. Even the currencys most ardent supporters would have struggled, 12 months ago, to predict the current state of affairs. But neither could they have envisaged, in their worst nightmares, it costing upwards of $20 to transfer a fraction of a coin. To chalk this year up as an unfettered success story calls for moving the goalposts and performing mental gymnastics. Bitcoin has made great leaps alright. Its just unfortunate that not all of them have been forwards.
It can be debated whether Satoshis white paper envisioned bitcoin as a P2P settlement for micro-transactions. What cant be debated is that bitcoin is effectively now unsendable and undependable for anything under a couple of hundred dollars. From the clearnet to the darknet, the conversation is the same: fees have become untenable. Despite this, bitcoins most ardent defenders remain in denial.
On some corners of the internet, questioning the gospel of Satoshi and the infallibility of bitcoin is heresy. I cant send a friend five dollars without a $15 transaction fee and this is the currency of the future? raged one Redditor, to which the first three responses on r/bitcoin ran:
Theres a modicum of truth to these rejoinders, but in the here and now, muh segwit or just wait for LN isnt much help.
Everyone has their price, a dollar figure at which theyd be willing to sell bitcoin, and also a figure theyre willing to pay to send it. Paying $20 to transfer $10 million of bitcoin seems reasonable. Paying the same amount to send $100 worth seems ridiculous. Bitcoin has been unsuitable for micro-transactions for some time, but its now reaching a stage where its unsuitable for mid-sized transactions.
Is bitcoin a store of wealth because thats its best use case, or has it simply morphed into one because no one can afford to move it?
Many of bitcoins new investors are of humble means, setting aside $50 a week or whatever they can spare to put into digital currency. Always store your coins in a wallet you hold the private key for, they were urged. Now theyre discovering that their only option is to store their bitcoin on an exchange, at least until their holdings reach a level where its practical to withdraw to a hardware wallet.
If cryptocurrencies were to be likened to energy sources, bitcoin would be coal: expensive to move and impractical to transport in small quantities. Its impossible to order a handful of coal every time you want to light a fire: its a sackful or nothing. Ethereum (gas) and bitcoin cash (hydro) are the opposite: cheap and on tap.
Coal does have one thing in its favor though longevity. In cryptocurrency terms, bitcoin is a veritable fossil. Its been there from the start and, thanks to its market dominance, brand recognition, and capital locked in, will be extremely hard to destroy. Scaling solutions will probably arrive, and transaction fees will eventually drop, though quite when is anyones guess. The question is if those solutions will arrive in time. Until then, bitcoin will continue to serve as coal fueling the furnace on the runaway Cryptocurrency Express: an indispensable hot mess.
What do you think is the solution to high fees? And what measures have you been taking to mitigate rising fees? Let us know in the comments section below.
Images courtesy of Shutterstock.
Express yourself freely at Bitcoin.coms user forums. We dont censor on political grounds. Check forum.Bitcoin.com.
See the article here:
Bitcoin Fees Have Become Infeasible - Bitcoin News
- Would Bitcoin suffer if the lead maintainers were kidnapped by aliens? - Cointelegraph - September 12th, 2020
- New DeFi Project Xfinance(XFI) ILO Presale Will Start Today | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- Working in the Cryptocurrency Industry as a Woman | Op-Ed Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 12th, 2020
- On-chain data signals increasing Bitcoin activity But theres a catch - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency are no hedge for inflation - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- TOP 5 Popular Cryptocurrencies Other than Bitcoin - Analytics Insight - September 10th, 2020
- 'High' Severity Bug in Bitcoin Software Revealed 2 Years After Fix - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 10th, 2020
- Number of Bitcoin Addresses Holding at Least 1 BTC Hits New ATH - Ethereum World News - September 10th, 2020
- The adjusted on-chain volume of Bitcoin and Ethereum hit a 30-month high in August - Yahoo Finance - September 10th, 2020
- Crypto Borrowing: Here Are Seven of the Best Interest Rates on the Market | Finance - Bitcoin News - September 10th, 2020
- 'Massive moment' as first ever DLC smart contract deployed on the Bitcoin mainnet - Cointelegraph - September 10th, 2020
- Argentina Government Refuses to Pay $4M Bitcoin Ransom to Hackers Who Paralyzed Its Borders | News - Bitcoin News - September 10th, 2020
- Square Aims to Stop Patent Trolls From Killing Bitcoin Adoption - Decrypt - September 10th, 2020
- How bitcoin met the real world in Africa - NBC News - September 8th, 2020
- Schiff buys more Bitcoin But theres a twist - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- If A Second Stimulus Check Is Coming, Using It To Buy Bitcoin Could Be A Disaster - Forbes - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Braced For A Massive Week - Forbes - September 8th, 2020
- $700 Million Worth of Synthetic Bitcoin Is Circulating on the Ethereum Blockchain - Bitcoin News - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Taking Its Place on the Global Monetary Stage - ETF Trends - September 8th, 2020
- A new phase in Bitcoins evolution - City Index - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin - The Future of Digital Currencies - Nairametrics - September 8th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Trons TRX Weekly Technical Analysis September 7th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - September 8th, 2020
- If Bitcoin Crashes Below $10,000 Its All OverHeres Why - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Can You Have Your Bitcoin And Eat It Too? - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- First Mover: As Bitcoin Falls for Second Day, Long-Term Holders Probably Won't Care - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 4th, 2020
- First Mover: Buying Bitcoin's Dip, Betting Against Tether and Weighing the Jobs Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 4th, 2020
- Private Capital And Institutions Are Piling Into Bitcoin And Other Digital Assets But You Need To Know Where To Look - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin market index back to fear on 91st anniversary of 1929 crash - Cointelegraph - September 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Be Accepted for Tax Payments in Swiss Canton Zug Next Year | Taxes - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Why Fusion's DCRM is The Best Option for DeFi Users | Sponsored Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 4th, 2020
- Tax Implications For Donations Of Bitcoin - Forbes - September 4th, 2020
- Wasabi Wallet Patches Flaw That Could Have Thwarted Bitcoin Privacy Feature - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 4th, 2020
- 3rd Bitcoin SV Hackathon Finalists Announced to Compete for USD $100,000 - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Ethereum Is Eating Bitcoin - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Ethereum Soars 10% Overnight Implications For Bitcoin - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- A Radical New Crypto Just Blew Past The Bitcoin Price All-Time HighUp A Shocking 3,500% In Just One Month - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- The History of Bitcoin - WTOP - September 2nd, 2020
- Major Swiss Insurer Adds Bitcoin and Ether Payments | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Max Keiser thinks Warren Buffett will move to Bitcoin soon - Cointelegraph - September 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Fails After Breaking Through $12,000 - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Protection Over Profit: What Early Mining Patterns Suggest About Bitcoins Inventor - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2020
- Warren Buffett Shifts Funds From US Amid Inflation Fears, Bitcoin's New All-Time High Expected | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- 3rd Bitcoin SV Hackathon Finalists announced to compete for USD $100,000 - PRNewswire - September 2nd, 2020
- China Is No Threat To Bitcoin, Promises Foundry CEO After $100 Million Bitcoin Mining Bet - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Elon Musk Confirms Serious Russian Bitcoin Ransomware Attack On Tesla, Foiled By The FBI - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Will Bitcoin Dump If Stocks Have Another COVID-19-Scale Crash? - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- How the Bitcoin Blockchain Is Being Used to Safeguard Nuclear Power Stations - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Will Break Out This Year, Says Devere CEO | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Fidelity Is A 1,000 Pound Bitcoin Gorilla In The Making - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Venezuela's Bitcoin Use Soars Amid Hyperinflation: 3rd on Global Crypto Adoption Index | News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Coinsilium backs RSK as Bitcoin and DeFi rocket (COIN) - Value The Markets - September 2nd, 2020
- Is Bitcoin About to Explode? - TheStreet - September 2nd, 2020
- 3.5 Million+ Crypto Wallets Downloaded in July, Active Users up 110% in the Year | Wallets - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Russia Blocks Cryptocurrency Websites Ahead of Regulation | News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2020
- Digital Dollar To Be In Competition With Bitcoin - Forbes - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin and Economic Uncertainty: Patience Is the Name of the Game - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Dips to $11.6K, ETH Options Predict Price Below $400 by End of Year - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- What Top US Politicians and POTUS Election Candidates Think of Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Macro Trend Unaffected by Chinese Investors $50B Tether Exodus - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- YFI Price Exceeds Bitcoin Price at $15K But Theres a Catch - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoins Bull Run Is Slowing Pullback Now Expected - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Has Lost Its Way: Heres How to Return to Cryptos Subversive Roots - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- John McAfee Ditches Ghost Crypto Project: He Says It Will Fail | News - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Dust Attacks Make a Mess in Bitcoin Wallets, but There Could Be a Fix - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2020
- 12 Crypto Firms Authorized to Operate License-Free in Hawaii for Two Years | Regulation - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Ransomware and Remote Working: What the Future Holds - Cointelegraph - August 22nd, 2020
- China's Bitcoin Mining Industry Impacted the Most This Year, Says Report - Bitcoin News - August 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoin and Tesla: America's Most Loved Assets on Tradingview | News - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) has a 30% Chance of Hitting $17k by EOY - Crypto Analyst - Ethereum World News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Keeps Rejecting $12K Heres What Can Happen to BTC - Cointelegraph - August 16th, 2020
- U.S. Seizes Bitcoin Said to Be Used to Finance Terrorist Groups - The New York Times - August 16th, 2020
- With All Eyes On Bitcoin, Another Crypto Is Up 500% In The Last YearAnd Its Still Soaring - Forbes - August 16th, 2020
- What Venezuelans Think About Bitcoin and American Media - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 16th, 2020
- Surging Chainlink Pushes Bitcoin Cash Out Of The Crypto Top Five As Wild Value Tops $6 Billion - Forbes - August 16th, 2020
- Coinbase to Offer Bitcoin-Backed Loans to US Customers - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 16th, 2020
- PSF Token Invokes the First Coin-Age Staking Protocol on Bitcoin Cash | Technology - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin.com Wallet Reveals USDT Support - Users Can Swap and Store SLP-Based Tether | Promoted - Bitcoin News - August 16th, 2020
- Is This The Real Reason Behind Bitcoins Huge Weekend Flash Crash? - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- First Mover: As Fed Nears Inflation Rubicon, Analysts See $50K Bitcoin in Play - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 4th, 2020
- TUM team finds Bitcoin accounts for 2/3 of total energy consumption of cryptocurrencies - Green Car Congress - August 4th, 2020