In 2017, the price of Bitcoin (BTC) reached as high as $20,000 before crashing rapidly. Now, the same on-chain top signal has reemerged, according to researchers at Glassnode. But besides much stronger fundamentals this time around, the ongoing rally feels significantly different for other reasons.
Bitcoin typically pulls back when whales take profit, causing a ripple effect throughout the cryptocurrency market. As such, when the overwhelming majority of the market is in profit, the chances of correction rises.
Since the March 2020 crash, when the price of Bitcoin dropped below $3,600 on BitMEX, BTC has rallied 260%. After such a large rally, a consolidation phase or a pullback could cause a healthier rally in the medium term.
Glassnode researchers found that the last time 98% of all Bitcoin UTXOs were profitable was in December 2017. After Bitcoin peaked at $19,798 on Dec. 16, 2017, it dropped 45% within six days to $10,961.
At the time, many whales and retail investors took profit, causing massive volatility. Glassnode said:
However, there are various fundamental and technical differences between the ongoing rally and the 2017 top.
First, the current rally of Bitcoin has been far more stable than the parabolic 2017 upsurge, which happened so suddenly that no clear resistance and support levels were established.
This time, Bitcoin has been climbing steadily, confirming $10,500, $11,300, $12,000 and $12,500 as key support levels.
Second, the overall institutional and spot demand is high, relative to the volume coming from the derivatives market.
Following Square, MicroStrategy and Stone Ridges high-profile allocations into Bitcoin, the volume of institution-focused platforms surged. LMAX Digital, CME and Bakkt specifically saw trading activity surge significantly since August.
When miners, whales and high-net-worth individuals buy and sell Bitcoin, they usually rely on the over-the-counter market.
The OTC market allows large trades to be matched with minimum slippage, which otherwise could trigger massive price fluctuations on exchanges.
The consistent increase in over-the-counter deals suggests that the appetite for BTC from large investors and institutions is likely rising. Analysts at on-chain data provider CryptoQuantsaid:
The confluence of high volume, a stable uptrend and growing OTC volumes makes new inflows into the Bitcoin market more likely. If the trend is sustained, it may offset potential profit-taking pullbacks in the cryptocurrency market.
- Bitcoin to tumble further: oddsmakers bet on drop to $10K - Yahoo Finance - June 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Is Actually Traceable, Pipeline Investigation Shows - The New York Times - June 12th, 2021
- Jim Cramer: Be patient with bitcoin, approach the S&P with caution - CNBC - June 12th, 2021
- As bitcoin falls to $32K, two strategists discuss whether it's a buy now - CNBC - June 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin ($BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price Outlook: Futures a Warning to JPMorgan - Bloomberg - June 12th, 2021
- Hacking bitcoin wallets with quantum computers could happen but cryptographers are racing to build a workaround - CNBC - June 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin bounces from 3-week lows why 'bad narratives' have one trader staying neutral - CNBC - June 12th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency News Today June 12: Bitcoin, Dogecoin, Shiba Inu and other top coins prices and all latest u... - Zee Business - June 12th, 2021
- El Salvador looks to become the first country to adopt ... - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin extends losses, falling below $32,000 after U.S. seizes most of Colonial ransom - CNBC - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin believers have nothing to worry about; their crypto is here to stay - Business Standard - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin skids to two-week low, but technical analyst says the slump is not a 'decisive breakdown' she's watching the next two closes - MarketWatch - June 8th, 2021
- Thousands of bitcoin believers descended on Miami to party and preach the gospel of 'HODL' - CNBC - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum and XRP Plunge In Steepest Drop Since May - TheStreet - June 8th, 2021
- If you're thinking about investing in bitcoin, consider these risks first If you've gotten - CNBC - June 8th, 2021
- China Reconsiders Its Central Role in Bitcoin Mining - The Wall Street Journal - June 8th, 2021
- El Salvador may be the first country to accept Bitcoin as legal tender - Yahoo Tech - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin of America is Hoping to Inspire Women to Join the Crypto Industry by Sending its Powerful Female Team to Bitcoin 2021 - PRNewswire - June 8th, 2021
- Take that, Miami: Hong Kong hosts its own Bitcoin meetup - Forkast News - June 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin is greener than many --- including Elon Musk --- think it is - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin hits $38K as BTC price breaks above 'line in the sand' resistance - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Price Volatility Reached Its Highest In A Year During May - Forbes - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin is headed toward its worst month since 2011; 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' author says that's 'great news' - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- Wall Street struggles to sell Washington on Bitcoin for the masses - POLITICO - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin contends with biggest monthly drop on record - Fox Business - June 2nd, 2021
- Few, if any, financial advisers expected to recommend bitcoin and dogecoin to clients --- here's how many now suggest buying crypto - MarketWatch - June 2nd, 2021
- Want to Stop Ransomware Attacks? Ban Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies. - The New Republic - June 2nd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency expert says Bitcoin, Stablecoin payments will be accepted by more businesses - Fox Business - June 2nd, 2021
- Crypto market comeback? Ask experts anything about dogecoin, bitcoin, Ethereum latest and more - The Independent - June 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin slumps 7% as investors brace for another bouncy weekend - Aljazeera.com - May 30th, 2021
- In the Battle over Bitcoin, Its Bull vs. Bear in Elon Musks Brain - Barron's - May 30th, 2021
- Analyst says reclaiming $37,500 is Bitcoins crucial line in the sand - Cointelegraph - May 30th, 2021
- When Is Bitcoin's Reign Going to End? - Analytics Insight - May 30th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency prices today: Bitcoin, ethereum, dogecoin and more - Moneycontrol.com - May 30th, 2021
- Billionaire Ray Dalio says he owns bitcoin, and its 'greatest risk is its success' - CNBC - May 30th, 2021
- Bitcoin hovers around $40,000 after a wild week of trading - CNBC - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin price slides along with other cryptocurrencies - Fox Business - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin Crashes Toward $30,000 As Ethereum, Binances BNB, Cardano, Ripples XRP And Dogecoin Lead Another Crypto Price Plummet - Forbes - May 28th, 2021
- Why is the price of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies falling? - CBS News - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin Depot Among Industry Leaders to Participate at Bitcoin 2021 Conference - PRNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin slumps 8% as it heads for bruising monthly drop - Reuters - May 28th, 2021
- How Far Bitcoin Could Fall If the Selloff Worsens - Barron's - May 28th, 2021
- Bitfarms Mines 1000th Bitcoin with Hydroelectricity This Year - GlobeNewswire - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin and bonds wont cut it. Buy these 6 types of assets for protection in a bear market, says strategist. - MarketWatch - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoins Reliance on Stablecoins Harks Back to the Wild West of Finance - The Wall Street Journal - May 28th, 2021
- The Cryptocurrencies That Outperformed During Bitcoin's Crash - Barron's - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin investors are flying too close to the sun: analyst - Yahoo Finance - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin Investing vs. Invisible Hardware of the Nanocosm - Yahoo Finance - May 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin: I'll either be rich, or wrong - Financial Times - May 28th, 2021
- Crypto News: Bitcoin, Other Cryptocurrencies Suffer Another Weekend Rout - Barron's - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin is up, then down. But exactly how does it work? - USA TODAY - May 24th, 2021
- MORNING BID-Bitcoin and Belarus in the headlines - Reuters - May 24th, 2021
- Recovery rally takes bitcoin back above $40k; Treasury proposal weighs on gains - Reuters - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin prices tumble 50% from peak and Mark Cuban calls the crypto crash the 'great unwind' - MarketWatch - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin has just crashed and we may see another rally. But is this the time to buy? - ABC News - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin Vs. Gold: Surviving Inflation - Forbes - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin recovers after plunge that shaved $1 trillion off crypto market: CNBC After Hours - CNBC - May 24th, 2021
- Crypto strategist sees pullback in bitcoin and ether as a healthy sign after massive rallies - CNBC - May 24th, 2021
- Why is crypto crashing? Will bitcoin prices ever recover? Here's what traders and investors say - MarketWatch - May 24th, 2021
- 3 Growth Stocks to Buy That Could Be Bigger Winners Than Bitcoin and Dogecoin - Motley Fool - May 24th, 2021
- Bitcoin flash crash amplified by leverage and systemic issues - Financial Times - May 24th, 2021
- Some old investing lessons from the Bitcoin crash - Mint - May 24th, 2021
- If You Invested $1,000 in Bitcoin 10 Years Ago, Here's How Much You'd Have Today - The Motley Fool - May 9th, 2021
- Elizabeth Warren: 'There's a real issue' with environmental impact of bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- SEC Chairman Gary Gensler says more investor protections are needed for bitcoin and crypto markets - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price: Bank of England Warns of Full Losses - Bloomberg - May 9th, 2021
- Marathon Miners Have Started Censoring Bitcoin Transactions; Here's What That Means - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2021
- Downtown Josh Brown on bitcoin and wealth management - The Block Crypto - May 9th, 2021
- FBI: Knoxville man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife - WATE 6 On Your Side - May 9th, 2021
- Metromile Will Embrace Bitcoin For Insurance Premium And Claim Payments - Forbes - May 9th, 2021
- FBI: Tennessee man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife - wreg.com - May 9th, 2021
- If You Bought $1,000 Worth of Bitcoin a Year Ago, Here's How Much You'd Have Today - The Motley Fool - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoins upcoming Taproot upgrade and why it matters for the network - Cointelegraph - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin ($BTC) or Ether ($ETH): Which Crypto Coin Is a Better Investment? - Bloomberg - May 6th, 2021
- Forget Bitcoin: Here are The Crypto Assets To Follow - Yahoo Finance - May 6th, 2021
- Mark Cuban: The 3 ways Ethereum 'dwarfs' bitcoin - CNBC - May 6th, 2021
- Square gets a bitcoin boost with revenue up 266% - CNBC - May 6th, 2021
- Crypto Expert Predicts That Bitcoin Will Eventually Hit $1 Million USD per Coin - HYPEBEAST - May 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin price live: Experts predict latest ethereum and dogecoin records may be early stages of rally - Yahoo Finance Australia - May 6th, 2021
- DeFi More Disruptive to Banks Than Bitcoin, Says ING - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 6th, 2021