Bitcoin blew past $12,000 to its highest price in two months, bringing into view the prospect of a fresh 2020 high.
The largest cryptocurrency was changing hands Wednesday around $12,200, within striking distance of the years high around $12,500. And that was even before the news emerged that electronic consumer payments giant PayPal had been granted aconditional New York state licensefor a partnership to buy and sell cryptocurrencies.
Coupled with a seemingly constant flow of reports of traditional funds and companies investing or allocating some of their balance sheet toBitcoin, we were due for a move up, Matt Blom, head of sales and trading for the publicly traded digital-asset firm Diginex, told subscribers in his daily newsletter.
Intraditional markets, European equity indexes were lower, U.S. stock futures fluctuated and 10-year Treasury yields rose on renewed speculation that lawmakers in Washington might still be moving toward a stimulus package. Gold rose 0.6% to $1,919 an ounce.
While tether (USDT), with a market cap surpassing $16 billion, continues to hold the lions share of stablecoins in circulation, two smaller rivals are trouncing it in cryptos hottest market this year,decentralized finance(DeFi).
Measured by the total value locked in six of the most popular DeFi protocols Compound, Maker, Uniswap, Curve, Aave and Balancer USD coin (USDC) is in the lead among stablecoins followed by dai(DAI), the native stablecoin to MakerDAO. Thats according to data compiled by Flipside Crypto as of Oct. 19.
USDC and DAI have market caps of $2.74 billion and $608 million, respectively. Yet, unlike on centralized exchanges, where tether is the go-to stablecoin in dollar-based crypto trades, USDC and DAI seem to have found their niche as the preferred stablecoins in decentralized trades.
In an interview with CoinDesk, Jeremy Allaire, peer-to-peer payments company Circles co-founder, attributed USDCs success in DeFi to his companys early efforts in building relationships with the DeFi communities. The fact the two companies that co-founded USDCs governing Centre consortium, Circle and crypto exchange Coinbase, are both registered financial entities in the United States may also have something to do with USDCs recent upturn. According to Allaire, USDC is preferred by institutional investors for being safe, trusted and regulated.
Authorities around the globe are giving more direction on how cryptocurrencies should be used and regulated.In late September, for instance, the U.S. Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) published its first regulatory guidance for stablecoins, clarifying that national banks can provide services to stablecoin issuers in the U.S.
Having guidelines creates more certainty, which makes mainstream market participants ready and willing to engage in it, Allaire told CoinDesk.
Total value locked by day aggregated across Compound, Maker, Uniswap, Curve, Aave and Balancer for DAI, PAX, USDC and USDT.
Bitcoin daily price chart.
Bitcoins price has jumped to two-month highs, and data from the options market shows traders are positioning for a continued rally.
The top cryptocurrency by market value rose to $12,303 early today the highest level since Aug. 18 and was last seen trading near $12,250, representing a 2% gain on the day.
The market sentiment has turned quite bullish, with firms like Square, Microstrategy and Stone Ridge disclosing their bitcoin holdings and bolstering the digital assets popularity as a store of value.
The momentum is certainly picking up with support from large corporations buying into the market, Wayne Chen, CEO, and director of Interlapse Technologies, told CoinDesk in a LinkedIn chat.
The move above $12,000 has exposed the August high of $12,476, above which significant resistance is seen directly at $13,880 (June 2019 high).
Options market data shows investors are expecting a continued price rally. Bitcoin is breaking out, and the options market is preparing for a bigger rally, Skews CEO Emmanuel Goh told CoinDesk in a Telegram chat.
The bullish mood is evident from the negative one-, three-, and six-month put-call skews, which measure the cost of puts relative to calls.
In other words, calls or bullish bets are drawing higher prices than puts or bearish bets a sign of investors positioning for a price rally.
Ether (ETH):Validators of Ethereum blockchainsdrop off of test networkas more developers say theyre ready for first phase of 2.0 upgrade.
Compound (COMP):DeFi lenders governance token falls below $100 in sign thatsector might be cooling.
Bitcoin (BTC):In a case of the new economics, largestcryptocurrencys demand should increase as price goes up, while supply stays fixed,Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Mike McGlone writes:
Bitcoin's price and supply curve, charted versus total assets on central bank balance sheets.
PayPal granted New Yorks first conditional BitLicense to offer crypto services. (CoinDesk)
Bahamas officially launches sand dollar central bank digital currency, first of its kind in the world to have been fully deployed. (CoinDesk)
BitMEX exchange accelerates mandatory ID verification after charges of lax anti-money-laundering controls. (CoinDesk)
Funding rates for bitcoin perpetual futures have stayed flat or turned negative as spot prices shot past $12K, suggesting futures traders arent as bullish in latest rally. (CoinDesk)
U.S. demurral on digital dollar deprives officials of crucial ability to rapidly and precisely disseminate stimulus funds directly to citizens during a recurring pandemic or lingering depression, attorneys argue. (CoinDesk)
Digital assets could become the next realm of shadow banking. (Roll Call)
In Q3, Binances spot trading hit an all time high a sign retail traders are prefering the exchange to its competitors. (The Block)
MicroStrategy CEO Michael Saylor says bitcoinmarkets data are garbage and that liquidity is far more limited than reported, based on his own experience; he says its tough to buy more than $35M of bitcoin without people knowing. (CoinDesk)
Mode Global, a London Stock Exchange-listed fintech company, plans to convert 10% of cash reserves into bitcoin to protect investors assets from currency debasement. (CoinDesk)
Crypto-friendly Signature Bank raked In $4B in deposits in Q3 2020. (CoinDesk)
Peer-to-peer bitcoin trading in North America now exceeds volumes during bull run of 2017. (Arcane Research)
North American weekly peer-to-peer trading volumes in bitcoin.
The latest on the economy and traditional finance
As European Central Bank floods zone with stimulus, yields on 10-year government bonds from Greece, Italy are now under 1%, just like Germanys. (WSJ)
Commodities traders increasing bets that U.S. dollar will weaken versus euro. (WSJ)
China initial stock offerings booming as economy recovers, markets surge. (WSJ)
Global trade recovered somewhat in third quarter but remains about 4.5% lower than a year earlier, United Nations report shows. (Reuters)
Japanese equities rise on U.S. stimulus deal being reached before Presidential elections. (Reuters)
U.S. economy has lost 3.9M jobs since President Donald Trump took office. (Yahoo Finance)
Chart comparing U.S. presidents on jobs growth.
Tweet of the Day
Sign up to receive First Mover in your inbox, every weekday.
- Bitcoin Price Targets by Analysts for 2021 and Beyond - Barron's - December 3rd, 2020
- Why Ethereum and Bitcoin Are Very Different Investments - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Sees Record Number of Active Users as Price Almost Hits $20K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - December 3rd, 2020
- 3 reasons why Bitcoin price violently rejected near $20,000 - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2020
- Why one analyst says Bitcoin is on the cusp of busting through $20K - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2020
- Dont get caught up in the hype as bitcoin hovers around $19,000 - CNBC - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Hits All-Time High Above $19,000, Topping 2017 Record - The Wall Street Journal - December 3rd, 2020
- Over 5000 Bitcoin Worth $97 Million from the 2016 Bitfinex Hack Spring Into Action - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin moves $500K around the globe every second, says Samson Mow - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin hit the $19,800 mark. What the IRS wants to know about your holdings - CNBC - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin.com Exchange To List HUB Token as the Next Gen Trust-Based Cryptocurrency | Press release - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2020
- Mogo Reports 135% Increase in Bitcoin Transaction Volume in November - Business Wire - December 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Climbs to Record High - The New York Times - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rallies Above $19,000 After Biggest Rout Since Pandemic - Bloomberg - November 30th, 2020
- Canadian Public Company Dumps Ethereum and Monero for Bitcoin | News - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin may see major price volatility at the start of December Here's why - Cointelegraph - November 30th, 2020
- Weekly Recap: Bitcoin and Ethereum Trigger Mass Liquidations - FX Empire - November 30th, 2020
- Russia to Recognize Bitcoin as Property With Legal Protection | Regulation - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripples XRP, Litecoin And Chainlink Suddenly Bounce Back - Forbes - November 30th, 2020
- Fighting Definancialization: Cryptologic Methods Like Bitcoin Could Protect Wealth From the Great Reset | Featured - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Some Investors Predict Bitcoin to Hit $100,000 in a Year - VOA Learning English - November 30th, 2020
- Introducing MoonDeFi, a New Part of Decentralized Finance | Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin analysts explain what's next in the aftermath of BTC plunging to $16.2K - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin loses steam after nearing all-time highs, but trader says it could be on track to $74,000 - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin plunges by nearly $3,000 after closing in on its all-time record - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Veteran Analyst Says BTC Might See Further Correction but 'Prices Have Not Topped' | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Carnivore Cult Is Both Stupid and Correct - CoinDesk - Coindesk - November 28th, 2020
- Ether, XRP and other 'altcoins' rally as bitcoin heads for all-time high - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Mike Novogratz: Everyone Should Put 2% to 3% of Their Net Worth in Bitcoin | News - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin price just hit $19,000 for the first time in 3 years - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Will 'money printer go brrr' rob Bitcoin of its all-time high? - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Why Is Bitcoin's Price Rising? Here Are a Few Possible Answers - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- OKEx Sees Biggest Bitcoin Outflow in 8 Months After Resuming Withdrawals - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin faces this final resistance zone before $20K all-time high - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- EURST Stablecoin Reinvention of the European Economy | Sponsored - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin hopes of record value of over $20,000 dashed after cryptocurrency falls again - Sky News - November 28th, 2020
- Should you invest in Bitcoin and how to do it - Telegraph.co.uk - November 28th, 2020
- Russian Hospitalized After Bitcoin Mining Farm Sets Apartment on Fire - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Researcher Publishes Never Before Seen Emails Between Satoshi Nakamoto and Hal Finney - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- OKExs Withdrawal Suspension Isnt Behind Bitcoins Rally: Analysts - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin now has a 7% chance of beating $20K highs in the next 2 months - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- For the first time since 2018 Bitcoin balances on exchanges fell below 2.5M - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin top signal from 2017 reappears, but heres why it may not matter this time - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- Macro Investor Dan Tapiero on Crypto Adoption: Emerging Economies Ahead of Developed States | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ban All Ransomware Payments, in Bitcoin or Otherwise - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Hotel Bitcoin ATMs on the Rise With Addition of Swiss Hotel Dolder Grand | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- World Gold Council Survey Shows Cryptocurrency Investment the 5th Most Popular in Russia - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ethereum Q3 Volume Dwarfs Bitcoin's, Fueled by DeFi - Decrypt - October 23rd, 2020
- Crypto fans rejoice: Bitcoin rallies to the brink of $12,000 - Aljazeera.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 187,000 BTC Drained: Over $2 Billion in Bitcoin Leave the Top Exchanges Since June | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- A Former Goldman Sachs Hedge Fund Chief Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Surge To $1 MillionHeres Why - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin minings future is green, and Russia has the best chance - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Has Bitcoin Finally Met Its Match? - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin rips and cruise ships: Bad crypto news of the week - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Where Does Bitcoin Fit in the Global Reserve Currency Game? - CoinDesk - Coindesk - October 19th, 2020
- Enormous wall of money will send Bitcoin to $1M in 2025 Raoul Pal - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Intrinsic Value: Crypto Community Responds to Bank of England Governor | News - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Ready For a New Pop Will It Do It Today? - InvestingCube - October 19th, 2020
- 'Enormous Wall of Money' Coming Into Bitcoin, Price to Reach $1 Million in 5 Years, Says Raoul Pal - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Ripple's XRP - Weekly Technical Analysis October 19th, 2020 - FX Empire - October 19th, 2020
- Blockchain Bites: Bitcoin on Ethereum The Whos, Whats and Whys - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- First Mover: Privacy Is Litecoin's Ace in the Hole as JPMorgan Touts Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- Hathor Merge Mining Pool Commands 33% of the Bitcoin Cash Hashrate - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Cashfusion Use Increased by 328%, $200M in BCH Fused and Close to 20,000 Fusions | Privacy - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- The Silk Road Balance Sheet Discrepancy: Bitcoin Worth $4.8 Billion Still Missing | Featured - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoins Taproot is ready to go, but it's unlikely to be included in the next release - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- How will the US presidential election affect the price of Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- $12K Bitcoin price back on the table after BTC rallies above $11.4K - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- Coinbase's 'Mission' Violates the Spirit of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin: the UK and US are clamping down on crypto trading here's why it's not yet a big deal - The Conversation UK - October 11th, 2020
- Lyn Alden: Bitcoin Correlations Depend on What Phase It Is In - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- UK Bans Sale of Crypto Derivatives to Retail Investors from January 2021 | News - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Yearn Finance Token Value Slides 67%, While Locked Value Loses Over $300M | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin price holds $10.5K but a $30M sell wall looms overhead - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin To Hit $100,000 in Five Years as Demand and Adoption Increase - Report | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Trump, price dots and COVID-19: 5 things to watch in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- $8M Worth of 'Sleeping' Bitcoin Rewards from 2010 Moved the Day Before 'Black Thursday' - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Interest in Bitcoin Soars in Egypt Amid Economic Crisis and Unemployment | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- A Major Tesla Investor Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Be Worth More Than $1 Trillion In Under 10 Years - Forbes - October 6th, 2020
- Crypto for Congress: Bitcoin Sent to All Congress Members' Campaigns | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020