Bitcoin blew past $12,000 to its highest price in two months, bringing into view the prospect of a fresh 2020 high.
The largest cryptocurrency was changing hands Wednesday around $12,200, within striking distance of the years high around $12,500. And that was even before the news emerged that electronic consumer payments giant PayPal had been granted aconditional New York state licensefor a partnership to buy and sell cryptocurrencies.
Coupled with a seemingly constant flow of reports of traditional funds and companies investing or allocating some of their balance sheet toBitcoin, we were due for a move up, Matt Blom, head of sales and trading for the publicly traded digital-asset firm Diginex, told subscribers in his daily newsletter.
Intraditional markets, European equity indexes were lower, U.S. stock futures fluctuated and 10-year Treasury yields rose on renewed speculation that lawmakers in Washington might still be moving toward a stimulus package. Gold rose 0.6% to $1,919 an ounce.
While tether (USDT), with a market cap surpassing $16 billion, continues to hold the lions share of stablecoins in circulation, two smaller rivals are trouncing it in cryptos hottest market this year,decentralized finance(DeFi).
Measured by the total value locked in six of the most popular DeFi protocols Compound, Maker, Uniswap, Curve, Aave and Balancer USD coin (USDC) is in the lead among stablecoins followed by dai(DAI), the native stablecoin to MakerDAO. Thats according to data compiled by Flipside Crypto as of Oct. 19.
USDC and DAI have market caps of $2.74 billion and $608 million, respectively. Yet, unlike on centralized exchanges, where tether is the go-to stablecoin in dollar-based crypto trades, USDC and DAI seem to have found their niche as the preferred stablecoins in decentralized trades.
In an interview with CoinDesk, Jeremy Allaire, peer-to-peer payments company Circles co-founder, attributed USDCs success in DeFi to his companys early efforts in building relationships with the DeFi communities. The fact the two companies that co-founded USDCs governing Centre consortium, Circle and crypto exchange Coinbase, are both registered financial entities in the United States may also have something to do with USDCs recent upturn. According to Allaire, USDC is preferred by institutional investors for being safe, trusted and regulated.
Authorities around the globe are giving more direction on how cryptocurrencies should be used and regulated.In late September, for instance, the U.S. Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) published its first regulatory guidance for stablecoins, clarifying that national banks can provide services to stablecoin issuers in the U.S.
Having guidelines creates more certainty, which makes mainstream market participants ready and willing to engage in it, Allaire told CoinDesk.
Total value locked by day aggregated across Compound, Maker, Uniswap, Curve, Aave and Balancer for DAI, PAX, USDC and USDT.
Bitcoin daily price chart.
Bitcoins price has jumped to two-month highs, and data from the options market shows traders are positioning for a continued rally.
The top cryptocurrency by market value rose to $12,303 early today the highest level since Aug. 18 and was last seen trading near $12,250, representing a 2% gain on the day.
The market sentiment has turned quite bullish, with firms like Square, Microstrategy and Stone Ridge disclosing their bitcoin holdings and bolstering the digital assets popularity as a store of value.
The momentum is certainly picking up with support from large corporations buying into the market, Wayne Chen, CEO, and director of Interlapse Technologies, told CoinDesk in a LinkedIn chat.
The move above $12,000 has exposed the August high of $12,476, above which significant resistance is seen directly at $13,880 (June 2019 high).
Options market data shows investors are expecting a continued price rally. Bitcoin is breaking out, and the options market is preparing for a bigger rally, Skews CEO Emmanuel Goh told CoinDesk in a Telegram chat.
The bullish mood is evident from the negative one-, three-, and six-month put-call skews, which measure the cost of puts relative to calls.
In other words, calls or bullish bets are drawing higher prices than puts or bearish bets a sign of investors positioning for a price rally.
Ether (ETH):Validators of Ethereum blockchainsdrop off of test networkas more developers say theyre ready for first phase of 2.0 upgrade.
Compound (COMP):DeFi lenders governance token falls below $100 in sign thatsector might be cooling.
Bitcoin (BTC):In a case of the new economics, largestcryptocurrencys demand should increase as price goes up, while supply stays fixed,Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Mike McGlone writes:
Bitcoin's price and supply curve, charted versus total assets on central bank balance sheets.
PayPal granted New Yorks first conditional BitLicense to offer crypto services. (CoinDesk)
Bahamas officially launches sand dollar central bank digital currency, first of its kind in the world to have been fully deployed. (CoinDesk)
BitMEX exchange accelerates mandatory ID verification after charges of lax anti-money-laundering controls. (CoinDesk)
Funding rates for bitcoin perpetual futures have stayed flat or turned negative as spot prices shot past $12K, suggesting futures traders arent as bullish in latest rally. (CoinDesk)
U.S. demurral on digital dollar deprives officials of crucial ability to rapidly and precisely disseminate stimulus funds directly to citizens during a recurring pandemic or lingering depression, attorneys argue. (CoinDesk)
Digital assets could become the next realm of shadow banking. (Roll Call)
In Q3, Binances spot trading hit an all time high a sign retail traders are prefering the exchange to its competitors. (The Block)
MicroStrategy CEO Michael Saylor says bitcoinmarkets data are garbage and that liquidity is far more limited than reported, based on his own experience; he says its tough to buy more than $35M of bitcoin without people knowing. (CoinDesk)
Mode Global, a London Stock Exchange-listed fintech company, plans to convert 10% of cash reserves into bitcoin to protect investors assets from currency debasement. (CoinDesk)
Crypto-friendly Signature Bank raked In $4B in deposits in Q3 2020. (CoinDesk)
Peer-to-peer bitcoin trading in North America now exceeds volumes during bull run of 2017. (Arcane Research)
North American weekly peer-to-peer trading volumes in bitcoin.
The latest on the economy and traditional finance
As European Central Bank floods zone with stimulus, yields on 10-year government bonds from Greece, Italy are now under 1%, just like Germanys. (WSJ)
Commodities traders increasing bets that U.S. dollar will weaken versus euro. (WSJ)
China initial stock offerings booming as economy recovers, markets surge. (WSJ)
Global trade recovered somewhat in third quarter but remains about 4.5% lower than a year earlier, United Nations report shows. (Reuters)
Japanese equities rise on U.S. stimulus deal being reached before Presidential elections. (Reuters)
U.S. economy has lost 3.9M jobs since President Donald Trump took office. (Yahoo Finance)
Chart comparing U.S. presidents on jobs growth.
Tweet of the Day
Sign up to receive First Mover in your inbox, every weekday.
- Monster-Sized Bitcoin Whale Transfers: Blockchain Parser Catches Significant Amounts of 'Cold BTC' Moved to Active Exchanges Featured Bitcoin News -... - December 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin.com Unlocks Earn on Crypto Promoted Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - December 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin And Omicron: Is Another Black Swan Brewing? - NewsBTC - December 3rd, 2021
- True or false: 91% of surveys about Bitcoin and crypto are totally wrong - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- This simple Bitcoin options strategy lets traders profit while also hedging their bets - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- Can Bitcoin rally in December? | Tune in now to The Market Report w/ Gareth Soloway - Cointelegraph - December 3rd, 2021
- The Invisible Incentives Of Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - December 3rd, 2021
- The future is Bitcoin according to South Park creators - Cointelegraph - November 25th, 2021
- Pokmon GO Creator's AR Platform Is Now Being Used To Hunt Bitcoin, Not Pocket Monsters - Nintendo Life - November 25th, 2021
- Stripe says it's open to accepting crypto for payments, three years after ending bitcoin support - CNBC - November 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Thanksgiving Gift, Why BTC Heads For Fresh Rally - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- JPMorgan Lists Ethereum As A Better Investment Than Bitcoin - NewsBTC - November 25th, 2021
- Buy the Dip: Bitcoin Whales Accumulated Over $2.36 Billion in $BTC After Price Drop - CryptoGlobe - November 25th, 2021
- How The Latest Macroeconomic News Is Impacting Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - November 25th, 2021
- Macro Guru Raoul Pal Says Millennials Migrating to Bitcoin From Gold and Traditional Finance Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - November 25th, 2021
- NFL Star Wide Receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to Be Paid in Bitcoin This Season - Motley Fool - November 25th, 2021
- Hartford Police seized $20,000 from a Bitcoin ATM after it was linked to a fraud - WFSB - November 25th, 2021
- Transacting on Solana less energy-intensive than on Bitcoin, Ethereum, report reveals - AMBCrypto News - November 25th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is The Best Weapon Society Has Against Inflation And Wealth Inequality - Forbes - November 22nd, 2021
- Seeing red? FUD that! Here's what you should have bought instead of Bitcoin last week - Cointelegraph - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin was looking good as an inflation hedge then it plunged nearly 20% - Markets Insider - November 22nd, 2021
- IRS Expects to Seize Billions of Dollars in Cryptocurrency Next Year More Than $3.5 Billion in Crypto Seized This Year Regulation Bitcoin News -... - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Helps Poverty Rather Than Hides It - Bitcoin Magazine - November 22nd, 2021
- 69-Year Old Israeli Lady Turned a $3K Bitcoin Investment to $320K: Now the Bank Refuses to Deposit - CryptoPotato - November 22nd, 2021
- Socialite and Model Alexis Ren Doesn't Trust the Dollar Economy, Says Crypto Is a Viable Alternative Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Strong Institutional Holders Moving Into Bitcoin, According to Cathie Wood of ARK Invest - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Bitcoin, Ethereum and Four Altcoins Witnessing Mass Adoption As Crypto Market Targets $200,000,000,000,000 ... - The Daily Hodl - November 22nd, 2021
- Avalanche Value Surges Reaching an All-Time High, AVAX Joins the Top Ten Crypto Markets Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Quentin Tarantino Sued for an Upcoming Auction of Pulp Fiction NFTs Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 22nd, 2021
- Karnataka home minister is a mad man: Congress state chief ... - November 20th, 2021
- Tesla And Elon Musk Devotee Cathie Wood Issued A Serious Bitcoin And Ethereum Fed WarningBut Held Her Huge $500,000 Price Prediction - Forbes - November 20th, 2021
- While Speculators Believe Bitcoin's Third-Largest Wallet Is a Mystery Whale, Onchain Data Suggests It's an Exchange Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin... - November 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin Price Falls Almost 20% Since Biggest Cryptocurrency's Historic Record - Bloomberg - November 20th, 2021
- If bitcoin is 'digital gold,' it should be taxed like gold | TheHill - The Hill - November 20th, 2021
- Bitcoin ETFs and Corporate Adoption Are 2 Key Crypto Catalysts to Watch - Motley Fool - November 20th, 2021
- Dont think anybody can say Bitcoin is a joke now: Morgan Housel - Economic Times - November 20th, 2021
- Does the Bitcoin, Ethereum, Solana, and Cardano Price Crash Signal Another Crypto Winter? - Motley Fool - November 20th, 2021
- Shakeout Or Top? Here's What Bitcoin SOPR Says About It - NewsBTC - November 20th, 2021
- Sports Illustrated Awards Sweepstakes Sponsored by FTX to Give Away 1 Bitcoin Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 20th, 2021
- Aussie brothers hit Nasdaq with plan to turn Bitcoin green - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 20th, 2021
- Is Bitcoin Too Big to Fail? - Institutional Investor - November 6th, 2021
- Estimating This Cycle's Bitcoin Price Top - Bitcoin Magazine - November 6th, 2021
- Billionaire Tom Steyer: This type of bitcoin venture is a disaster for the environment - Yahoo Finance - November 6th, 2021
- Moving $25 Billion in BTC via Alternate Chains There's Now Over 400000 Tokenized Bitcoins in Existence - Bitcoin News - November 6th, 2021
- New York's Incoming Mayor Wants to Be Paid in Bitcoin (At Least Temporarily) - Gizmodo - November 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin price consolidation could be over, says trader as Ethereum, Polkadot hit all-time highs - Cointelegraph - November 6th, 2021
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: Cryptos stagnate but one readies to explode - FXStreet - November 6th, 2021
- Spending a String of 20000 BTC 2 Bitcoin Whale Transactions Move Over $1.2 Billion Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 6th, 2021
- Square says bitcoin demand slowed in Q3 but picked back up in October; earnings weigh on stock - MarketWatch - November 6th, 2021
- Why The Navajo Are Mining Bitcoin - Bitcoin Magazine - November 6th, 2021
- Roughly One-Third of Bitcoin Is Controlled by a Small Cabal of Whales, According to New Study - Gizmodo - October 26th, 2021
- Heres the Line in the Sand for a Bitcoin Breakout, According to Veteran Crypto Trader Tone Vays - The Daily Hodl - October 26th, 2021
- As bitcoin soars in value again, here's what to think about before you buy - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- Some Are Betting on State-of-the-Art Mining Machines as Bitcoin (BTC) Breaks New Price Ground - Yahoo Finance - October 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin is over $66,000. Here are 3 questions to ask yourself before you invest - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- OLB Group Expands Bitcoin Mining Operation With 500 ASIC Miners, Expects $1M Monthly Revenue - Yahoo Finance - October 26th, 2021
- Swarm of Alternative Crypto Assets Outpace Bitcoin's Gains by Double Digits This Week Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 26th, 2021
- Elon Musk on his crypto portfolio: I only own bitcoin, ether and dogecoin - CNBC - October 26th, 2021
- Why is Illinois' largest electric utility mining Bitcoin near one of its coal-fired power plants? - Bloomington Pantagraph - October 26th, 2021
- US Government To Auction 4.94 Bitcoin Worth Over $300,000 - Bitcoin Magazine - October 26th, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Needs To Clear $64K For Hopes of a Fresh Rally - NewsBTC - October 26th, 2021
- Coinbase Follows Bitcoin Into Consolidation: Is The Stock Headed For $415? - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin rises to the highest since May, is now up 30% in October - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin jumps to nearly 5-month high, topping $55,000 on Wednesday - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin climbs back above $50,000 as it starts October on a tear - CNBC - October 12th, 2021
- What Caused Bitcoin Prices To Reach Their Highest Since May? - Forbes - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin Hits Five-Month High - TheStreet - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin is up 30% in Octoberand within striking range of its all-time high - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- Swiss think tank initiates vote to add Bitcoin in federal constitution - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- Buying bitcoin or any other crypto is a huge leap of faith and you don't want to be the 'greater fool' - MarketWatch - October 12th, 2021
- BTC's Price Rise Gives 5-Year-Old Mining Rigs New Life Bitcoin Hashrate Jumps Close to 20% Since Last Week Mining Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 12th, 2021
- Has Bitcoin Improved As A Flight To Safety Investment? - Benzinga - Benzinga - October 12th, 2021
- How Henry Ford Envisaged Bitcoin 100 Years Ago A Unique 'Energy Currency' That Could 'Stop Wars' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 12th, 2021
- 3 warning signs suggest the Bitcoin price rally is overextended - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- BitMEX CEO Predicts Five Developing Countries Will Accept Bitcoin As Legal Tender Next Year Heres Why - The Daily Hodl - October 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin climbs to highest in nearly two weeks - Reuters - October 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency prices today: Bitcoin gains, ether, cardano slip. Latest rates here - Mint - October 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin and Ethereum Weekly Technical Analysis October 4th, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - October 4th, 2021
- Visa's New Payment System Will Accept Everything From Bitcoin to Dollars - The Motley Fool - October 4th, 2021
- New Rules Could Affect Robinhood and Bitcoin Traders. Here's What You Need to Know - The Motley Fool - October 4th, 2021