Something to look forward to: While crypto enthusiasts are no doubt interested to see the effects of Bitcoin's 'halving' slated for later this year, it looks like others are joining the fray. The question on everyone's mind is whether 2020 is the year Bitcoin reaches new heights, and the increase in awareness might well send its price well above the $20,000 mark it reached in 2017... or not.
A lot of people seem interested to see what 2020 will bring for the cryptocurrency industry. Arcane Research points out to how Google searches for related keywords have spiked this month and that might be because on May 20, 2020, the third Bitcoin 'halving' will occur.
That means the rate at which new Bitcoins are generated will decrease by 50 percent of what's been for the past few years. Bitcoin is designed as a deflationary coin that is limited to 21 million units, the last of which will be mined in 2140.
Historically, "halving" events have boosted the price of Bitcoin by an order of magnitude, while cutting rewards for miners that solve "blocks" of transactions. The current block reward is 12.5 BTC and takes place every 10 minutes, but in May it will go down to 6.25 BTC. Consider for a moment the current price of 1 BTC, which is hovering at ~$9,000 -- give or take a few hundred dollars -- as of writing.
If history were to repeat itself, it could send Bitcoin higher than the already crazy peak of almost $20,000 reached in 2017, possibly even as high as $90,000 if you believe some enthusiastic German bankers. If that sounds impossible, it's worth noting that some of the people that bought this token for pennies close to its inception didn't exactly believe it would become so valuable over time, and nowadays even the most pessimistic investor doesn't see it falling below $5,000 for the foreseeable future.
On one hand, you have people like Kraken CEO Jesse Powell, who thinks Bitcoin would still be undervalued even if it reached $100,000. And considering the sudden increase in public awareness, it's not hard to imagine people rushing to buy Bitcoin in the hopes of makings easy returns if it happens to skyrocket over night.
On the other, you have the skeptics that believe the Bitcoin halving may have already been priced in, in which case there isn't much to gain by pouring your life savings into the cryptocurrency. Then there's the hypothesis that investors and companies will mostly trade in derivatives rather than speculate on Bitcoin.
However, there's enough indication out there that newly mined Bitcoins would most likely be absorbed through Square's Bitcoin purchasing service and Grayscale's Bitcoin Trust. Add to that some 30 million Coinbase customers and people using trading apps like eToro and RobinHood, and you have a lot of variables that will affect Bitcoin's value.
But let's forget the halving for a minute. In the last decade, the best investment you could make was Bitcoin, provided you jumped into the boat relatively early. Some were even able to ride the recent wave of miners that bought each and every capable graphics card on the market hoping to make a profit. Now you'd have to own a large mining operation with specialized equipment somewhere in a cold climate or in places like China where electricity cost is just a few cents per kWh.
Companies like Starbucks and AT&T are slowly adopting Bitcoin as a payment method, while others like Apple might never integrate it into their services. Some would be quick to dismiss it based on how transactions are very slow and not at all energy efficient, but solutions backed by tech executives like Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey are on the way to solve that in the near future.
When that happens, there is a good chance the value of Bitcoin will rise, as it has the potential to offer inexpensive financial services for the 1.2 billion people in places like Africa who can't rely on the banking system.
Governments don't like the idea of highly volatile and speculative assets like Bitcoin, but they are much more open to the idea of currency-pegged "stablecoins." After the 2020 halving, much of the effort that was previously devoted to mining will have to be directed towards greater adoption, so at least there's a low chance we'll see Bitcoin go down in price.
In any case, expect more companies to follow in the footsteps of Facebook to launch their own cryptocurrencies, which is also known to cause surges in Bitcoin's price as soon as an announcement is made. If anything, 2020 might be the year cryptocurrency hits the mainstream and governments start to take it more seriously.
- Bitcoins Huge Surge This Week Could Be The Tip Of The Iceberg As Investors Recall 2017 Gold Rush - Forbes - April 5th, 2020
- The Price Of Gold And The Price Of Bitcoin - Forbes - April 5th, 2020
- Billionaire Optimistic on Bitcoin as a Flight to Safety - Cointelegraph - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoins Hedging Performance in the Wake of the Coronavirus Outbreak - Cointelegraph - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Flips Bullish But Heres Why BTC Price May Still Hit $3.9K - Cointelegraph - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Showing Signs of Weakness But 100 SMA Can Trigger New Rally - newsBTC - April 5th, 2020
- Xapo moves $633 million Bitcoin for less than a pint of milk - Decrypt - April 5th, 2020
- Tidal Wave of Lawsuits Accuse Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Companies of Selling Unregistered Securities - The Daily Hodl - April 5th, 2020
- Here is why Bitcoin price is likely to be bullish - Cryptopolitan - April 5th, 2020
- Indians Own Bitcoin and Crypto Because Banks Are Incompetent: Survey - Coingape - April 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Is Doing Just Fine Compared to S&P 500 During COVID-19 Crisis. This Chart Shows Why - U.Today - April 5th, 2020
- Just One Major Cryptocurrency Is Outperforming Bitcoin Right Now And Its Climbing Fast - Forbes - April 3rd, 2020
- Ether-Bitcoin Price Volatility Spread Hits 4-Month Low - CoinDesk - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin on the brink of major bullish breakout - Yahoo Finance - April 3rd, 2020
- $8.5K Then $3K This Traders Bitcoin Price Call Is Playing Out - Cointelegraph - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin.com Fires 50% of Staff Ahead of BCH Halving - Bitcoinist - April 3rd, 2020
- Pressure Test That Signaled Bitcoin (BTC) Bull Run Flashing As Ethereum and XRP Hit Crucial Lines of Resistance - The Daily Hodl - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Targets $7,600 with Chance to Hit $8,900 Later - U.Today - April 3rd, 2020
- How COVID-19 Is Changing Narratives From Bitcoin to DeFi - CoinDesk - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin's Safe-Haven Status Is Not Dead as Correlation to Gold Reaches New Highs: Report - U.Today - April 3rd, 2020
- Darknet and Bitcoin: Ominous trends affected by COVID-19? - Cryptopolitan - April 3rd, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies advance as Bitcoin was rejected at the $7.200 level - FXStreet - April 3rd, 2020
- CoinShares Strategist Meltem Demirors Issues Warning About Digital Dollar Its Everything Bitcoin Is Not - The Daily Hodl - April 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Climbs More Than 15% As Investors Flock To Safety - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Briefly Tops $7K as Traders Say Worst of 2020 Selloff May Have Passed - CoinDesk - April 2nd, 2020
- Heres Why Bitcoin Price Just Spiked to $7.3K, Liquidating $90M - Cointelegraph - April 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Traders See Bitcoin (But Not Ethereum) Surging To All-Time Highs In 2020Heres Why - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Closes Q1 With Historic Darth Maul Candle: Heres What it Means - newsBTC - April 2nd, 2020
- Could Coronavirus Kill the Bitcoin Mining Industry? - Finance Magnates - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Surges 9% And Will Set Up A Strong Rally IF We Can Close Above This Pattern - Coingape - April 2nd, 2020
- Revolut brings Bitcoin to all of its 7 million users - Decrypt - April 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Stuck In Bearish Trend As The New Month Begins - Forbes - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Takes Tumble, Traders Fret Correlation and Next Month's Halving - CoinDesk - April 1st, 2020
- A Bitcoin Bastion In The Wild West - Forbes - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Bros Are Directing Their Powerful Computers Toward Coronavirus COVID-19 Research - Forbes - April 1st, 2020
- Massive $633 Million Bitcoin (BTC) Transaction Triggers Crypto Whale Alert - The Daily Hodl - April 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies price prediction: Bitcoin, Ethereum & Litecoin - American Wrap - 01 April - FXStreet - April 1st, 2020
- Can Bitcoin Survive the Climate Change Revolution? - CoinDesk - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Follows Stock Markets Higher; How Long Will They Move in Lockstep? - CoinDesk - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoins on the Move Is BTC Price Inversely Correlated to Mempool Size? - Cointelegraph - April 1st, 2020
- Here's how much bitcoin beat the Dow and S&P 500 in the first quarter - CNBC - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Holding Crucial Support: Heres What Could Propel it to $7K - newsBTC - April 1st, 2020
- Is Now the Time to Invest in Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - April 1st, 2020
- This Crisis Is Good For Bitcoin, But Beware of Recession - Luno CEO - Cryptonews - April 1st, 2020
- Top Three Coins Price Prediction: Bitcoin bears take control while Ethereum and Ripple still remains in the green - FXStreet - April 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin Ascends on Twitter While Major Altcoins Hit Multi-Year Lows - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is a Safe Haven for a Worse Storm Than This - CoinDesk - March 27th, 2020
- Japanese Investors Rushed To Buy The Dip After Bitcoin Bloodbath - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin community responds to FDIC warning on bank run - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- Binance Reveals Visa Debit Card in Push to Bring Bitcoin (BTC) and Crypto Payments Worldwide - The Daily Hodl - March 27th, 2020
- Just Like Bitcoin Before It, Cardano Is Banned From Wikipedia - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- How would a US recession affect Bitcoin? - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- Are Miners Waiting for Bitcoin to Hit Breakeven Point? - Cryptonews - March 27th, 2020
- Feds Unlimited QE Places Spotlight on Bitcoin Store-of-Value Narrative - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Vitalik Proposes Solution to 'Embarrassing' Lack of BitcoinEthereum Bridge - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Will "Come Of Age" During This Crisis: Top Investor Explains Why - Blockonomi - March 27th, 2020
- Algorithmic Crypto Art Changes Appearance to Reflect Bitcoin Volatility - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Heres How To Predict Major Moves In The Price Of Bitcoin - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Reversed and Its Vulnerable To A Drop Towards $5,200 - newsBTC - March 23rd, 2020
- Did BTC Miners Crash Bitcoin Price With 51 Days Before the Halving? - Cointelegraph - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Bitcoin Steady Above $6,000, But Is It The Calm Before The Storm? - CryptoPotato - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Highly Correlated With HYG And IWM ETFs As Contagion Effect From Coronavirus Epidemic Spreads Across All Asset Classes - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Top 3 Price Prediction Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple: A sea of red returns as weekend love disappears - FXStreet - March 23rd, 2020
- Tezos Foundation Offloaded Millions of Dollars Worth of Bitcoin in 2019: Report - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 23rd, 2020
- The Internet May Be Next Victim of Coronavirus Pandemic Netflix, Google, Apple and Amazon React - Bitcoin News - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price (BTCUSD) is Off to a Bullish Start; Can It Sustain Gains Above $5,900.00? - InvestingCube - March 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Might Drop Beneath $4,800 Again If It Breaks THIS Short Term Trend Line - Coingape - March 21st, 2020
- Top 3 Coins Price Prediction: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple consolidate their price following as bulls and bears wrestle for control - Confluence... - March 21st, 2020
- A factor that predicted the Bitcoin crash in 2018 suggests bullish action is ahead - CryptoSlate - March 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin's Difficulty on Track for Historic Drop, but There Is Silver Lining - U.Today - March 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin ranked on top 100 greatest designs of all time - Decrypt - March 21st, 2020
- The Puell Multiple Is Turning Bullish on Bitcoin - CoinDesk - Coindesk - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Fast Approaching $7,000Heres Why - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Contrary To Popular Belief, Bitcoin Isn't Consistently Correlated To Anything - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoins Magic Is Fading, And Thats A Good Thing - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally Leaves Stocks In The Dust - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus is forcing fans of Bitcoin to realize its not a safe haven after all - MIT Technology Review - March 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Back In Free Fall And Dropping FastHeres Why - Forbes - March 20th, 2020
- Top Analyst Explains Why Bitcoin Price is Up 78% amid Coronavirus Outbreak - newsBTC - March 20th, 2020
- A Treatise on Bitcoin and Privacy Part 2: Dont Be Misled by Red Herrings - Nasdaq - March 20th, 2020