Whether due to a lack of trust in a countrys financial system or simply because new speculators want to make money, everyones talking about Bitcoin again.
The worlds largest cryptocurrency has been making the headlines in the mainstream press from Bloomberg to the BBC. And the question everyone wants answers to is how profitable will Bitcoin be in 2020?
Bloomberg published an article on December 31 stating that BTC had yielded early investors an eye-watering 9,000,000% rate of return on its starting price.
Sure, not everyone was buying Bitcoin back in the days when it was magic internet money. But theres still no other asset in the world that can even come close to such an astonishing ROI.
Demand for Bitcoin has been steadily on the rise, especially in developing regions such as Latin America. The worlds number-one cryptocurrency was featured in Argentinas most prominent national newspaper La Nacion last week.
The article posed the question, based on its performance over the last decade, how profitable will Bitcoin be in 2020?
You only have to take a quick look at statistics from peer-to-peer Bitcoin trading sites like LocalBitcoins to see how Bitcoin in Argentina is on the rise, hitting an all-time high in trading volume in the run-up to Christmas.
As the government clamps down further on access to the US dollar and other foreign currencies, demand for Bitcoin increases.
It is better than gold as a refuge for capital when there is a crisis, Javier Pastor, commercial director of the Bit2Me cryptocurrency exchange, told BBC Mundo. Bitcoin purchasing in Argentina certainly follows this pattern.
The spikes in buying Bitcoin all occurred when the political climate was particularly tense and capital controls were imposed. This is a trend that we see clearly in countries with hyperinflation like Zimbabwe or Venezuela, and also at times of global tension.
After Irans attack on US military bases in Iraq in response to the death of Iranian General Qasem Soleimani, Bitcoin rose 8% amid investor uncertainty. So, can we expect these conditions to continue and do we really want to profit from conflict and global turmoil?
Maybe not, but Bitcoin does seem to do better in times of trouble as Pastor commented.
He added, My projection is that in 2021 Bitcoin will reach more than $100,000, claiming hes convinced that digital money will completely transform the financial system in the future.
For anyone following Bitcoins trajectory, its been a wild ride. Its high volatility and the plethora of exchange hacks and scams always grab the headlines.
But even those who regularly trash Bitcoin, such as CEO of Euro Pacific Capital Peter Schiff or University of New York economist professor Nouriel Roubini, cant deny the numbers.
When it was created by Satoshi Nakamoto in January 2009, Bitcoin was worth less than a dollar. In 2017, it rose to almost $20,000 only to crash back down to just over $3,000 the following year.
Despite all the leaps and plunges, Bitcoin has certainly been profitable. In fact, as mentioned earlier, those who bought Bitcoin at the beginning have experienced a return of 9,000,000%.
So, how profitable will Bitcoin be in 2020 and the coming decade? This is the question on everyones lips from Argentina to the UK, South Korea, and anywhere else in the world.
Theres no shortage of price predictions for the value of Bitcoin by the end of 2020.
Crypto lending platform Celsius Network founder Alex Mashinsky believes that Bitcoin will be worth $30,000 by the end of the year. The future of cryptocurrencies is promising, he told BBC Mundo.
Mashinsky bases his optimism on the fact that Bitcoin is a scarce asset with a capped supply of 21 million, which guarantees its long-term success.
Moreover, he compares Bitcoins 11-year performance with the best-performing stock Netflix. While Netflix scored early investors a wild return of 4,000%, that pales in comparison to Bitcoin.
Hes not alone in his bullish outlook. In fact, several other industry experts believe it will be even higher than that. Antoni Trenchev, the co-founder of Nexo, projects Bitcoins price to hit a high of $50,000 towards the end of 2020.
Another factor behind Bitcoins price beyond geopolitical tensions and an uncertain global economy is the upcoming Bitcoin halving in May, which happens every four years and will slash the block reward for miners in half.
Historically, each Bitcoin halving has sparked a Bitcoin bull market, and many in the industry are convinced that this years halving will have the same effect.
After the previous two halvings in 2012 and 2016 there was an increase in the price of Bitcoin of 8,000% in the first case and 2,000% in the second.
That will cause a price increase for sure, said Pastor. However, not everyone is in agreement, citing different conditions this time around and no guarantees simply based on past performance.
There are still many who maintain that Bitcoin is a bubble and a scam, claiming that the market is rife with manipulation and investors better beware.
For example, Roubini has previously described Bitcoin as the mother of all bubbles, saying that it is dominated by quacks and scammers.
He argues that cryptocurrencies have given rise to a completely new criminal industry, which includes unregulated extraterritorial exchanges, paid propagandists, and an army of scammers seeking to keep the money from the minority investors.
Other economists staunchly opposed to Bitcoin include Nobel Prize winner Joseph Stiglitz. He has gone so far as to say that it must be outlawed as it was made to evade regulations and does not serve any useful social function.
Cases of fraud, theft, and other incidents have also made investors more cautious, with more than $4.4bn in cryptocurrency stolen in 2019 alone. If you look at investing in Bitcoin under this lens, in all likelihood, youll take a second glance.
More regulation is on the cards for 2020 as well. This could be a double-edged sword for Bitcoin and the cryptocurrency market.
Tighter regulation may force some exchanges out of business and may cause some coins to be delisted. However, a regulated market may also help to lure more institutional investors to the table.
So how profitable will Bitcoin be in 2020? That honestly remains about as predictable as the weather. Thats part of the fun of buying Bitcoin after all.
If you believe in the fundamentals of the technology, if you understand its use case and its value, youll expect that Bitcoin will be profitable in 2020 and well beyond.
But if youre from the investment school of Warren Buffett or Nouriel Roubini, you may expect it to go to zero.
Only time will tell whether Bitcoin will be digital gold or a flash in the pan, but it certainly makes an interesting case and with a 9,000,000% rate of return, it has certainly been profitable in the past.
How profitable will Bitcoin be in 2020? - Coin Rivet
- First Mover: The Return of the Bitcoin Retail Investor (And Why Thats a Good Thing) - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- The most secretive Bitcoin wallet just moved nearly $1 billion - Decrypt - June 30th, 2020
- Why the Stock-to-Flow Bitcoin Valuation Model Is Wrong - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Will Take a Long Time to Dethrone the Dollar - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 30th, 2020
- Skeptics Concerned Plustoken Scammers Plan to Dump $187M Worth of Ethereum | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin.org Maintainer Calls for the Removal of Cobra, Website Owner Then Fires Him - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- An Israeli Blockchain Startup Claims Theyve Invented an Undo Button for Bitcoin Transactions - Cointelegraph - June 30th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Cardanos ADA Weekly Technical Analysis June 29th, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - June 30th, 2020
- Theory of Bitcoin: Essential knowledge from Craig Wright and Ryan X. Charles - CoinGeek - June 30th, 2020
- Bolstering Separation of Money and State Following the 244th Independence Day - Bitcoin News - June 30th, 2020
- Legendary Investor Jim Rogers Warns Governments Will Have To Eliminate Bitcoin - Forbes - June 27th, 2020
- What Changed My Mind About Bitcoin Narratives - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 27th, 2020
- The Last Time Volatility Was This Low Bitcoin Went On to Rally By $2K - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 27th, 2020
- Record Unemployment Has Contributed To A Striking Shift Toward Bitcoin, New Research Reveals - Forbes - June 27th, 2020
- Developer Who Successfully Hacked Bitcoin Wallet Ensures BTC Is Still Safe - Cointelegraph - June 27th, 2020
- What will happen to Bitcoin after all 21 million are mined? - Decrypt - June 27th, 2020
- Leveraged Tokens Soon Available on the Bitcoin.com Exchange | Promoted - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin mining farm buys up 17,600 minersdespite the halving - Decrypt - June 27th, 2020
- 6 Privacy-Enhancing Tools That Place Bitcoin Cash Transactions Ahead of the Pack | Privacy - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Mining Chip Manufacturer Ebang to List on Nasdaq This Week - Bitcoin News - June 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin Suddenly Plunged To $8,900And It May Kickstart A 3-Month Correction - Forbes - June 16th, 2020
- Inactive Bitcoin Supply Reaches 4-Year High, Pointing to Bullish Sentiment - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Crypto 101: How to Send and Receive Bitcoin Cash Via the Bitcoin.com Wallet | Featured - Bitcoin News - June 16th, 2020
- 6 Reasons Why 2020 Is a Great Year for Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Currency wars: The rise of bitcoin - Opinion - Jakarta Post - June 16th, 2020
- Encrypted Messaging Site Privnote Cloned to Steal Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin is becoming more trustworthy than big banks, says survey - Decrypt - June 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin-Friendly Top US Banking Regulator Aims to Solve Banks' Problems With Decentralization | News - Bitcoin News - June 14th, 2020
- Developer Activity Surrounding Eos, Tron, and Bitcoin Cash Plummets - Cointelegraph - June 14th, 2020
- CryptoMixer.bz: Bitcoin Mixer for your anonymity in the Crypto World - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2020
- Facebooks Libra Stablecoin Project, Ethereum (ETH), Near, Bitcoin Cash are Currently Most Active Development Projects: Report - Crowdfund Insider - June 14th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin on the brink of a breakthrough? Or a crash? Same writer offers up two scenarios - Straight.com - June 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Drop to Key $9K Support Could Place the Uptrend in Peril - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Last Time This Key Statistic Hit All-Time High, Bitcoin Saw A 3900% Parabolic Rally - Forbes - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Realized Cap Hits $106B Record as Fear Returns to BTC Index - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin's March to $100K: A Number of Crypto Experts Who Believe the Price per BTC Touches Six-Digits | Market Updates - Bitcoin News - June 13th, 2020
- Analyst predicts major correction in price of Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why Bitcoin Price Continues to Reject at $10,000 - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- COVID-19 And Jerome Powell Will Test Bitcoin's Resilience - Forbes - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is More Than an Inflation Hedge - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Bitcoin Price Could Be on the Verge of a New Uptrend - Cointelegraph - June 13th, 2020
- BTSE Exchange Offers Futures Contracts Tracking Tether Gold and Priced in Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Forks Have Trounced Bitcoin This Year - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- Bitfinex Hackers Move Another $4.1 Million Bitcoin in Their Biggest Pay Day Yet | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - June 13th, 2020
- Nightmare Come True: User Pays $2.6 Million in Transaction Fees to Send $134 of Ether | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - June 13th, 2020
- This bootstrapped startup built an eBay for Bitcoins and is heating up Indias crypto market - YourStory - June 13th, 2020
- Stocks, Safe Havens and Hodlers 5 Things to Eye in Bitcoin This Week - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- The Bitcoin Trade Is Developing Well - RealMoney - TheStreet - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin price could be on the cusp of major bullish breakout - IG Bank - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rises Above $10K for First Time in 25 Days as Protests Roil US Cities - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 2nd, 2020
- JPMorganBitcoins Biggest EnemySuddenly Appears To Be Going All In On Crypto - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Surges Above $10,000 Amid Unrest, Riots In USWill It Hold? - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Rising, Satoshi Discoveries, & Google Enters the Race: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- The Last Time This Happened, Bitcoin Surged From $3,150 to $14,000 - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoins $100K Probability Speculation or Economic Theory Backed? - Finance Magnates - June 2nd, 2020
- On the 'Bitcoin Fixes This' Meme - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 2nd, 2020
- Reddcoin (RDD) Nears PoSV v2 Activation, Clearing Way for Explosive Developments | Press release - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- With Riots Erupting in US Cities, Using Tools of Peaceful Protest Can be More Meaningful - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- The Many Facts Pointing to Adam Back Being Satoshi | Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- $9M and Over 4,500 Fusions - Bitcoin Cash Supporters Anticipate the Cashfusion Audit | Technology Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- South Korea to Start Taxing Bitcoin Profits in 2021 | Taxes Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- Spiritual Reflections on the Bitcoin Halving - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 24th, 2020
- Covid-19 Economy Fuels Faith in Crypto: Trust In Bitcoin Over Banks Increased 3X Since 2017 - Bitcoin News - May 24th, 2020
- 8 Reasons Why This Could Be the Time to Take Bitcoin Seriously - Entrepreneur - May 23rd, 2020
- Market Wrap: Traders 'Buy the Dip' as Bitcoin Hovers at $9,000 - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- RenBTC Quietly Goes Live in Latest Bid to Bring Bitcoin Into Ethereum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Could Be More Resilient to Global Electric Failure Than Banks - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- The Shadow of Satoshi's Ghost: Why Bitcoin Mythology Matters - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- How This Billionaire-Backed Crypto Startup Gets Paid To Not Mine Bitcoin - Forbes - May 23rd, 2020
- As Bitcoin Halving Dust Settles, Network Awakens to Costly New Reality - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- 'No need' to invest in bitcoin or gold during the pandemic, says wealth manager - CNBC - May 23rd, 2020
- Goldman Sachs Is Hosting A Client Call About Bitcoin, Gold and Inflation - Forbes - May 23rd, 2020
- This Bitcoin Documentary From Africa Is Streaming on Amazon Prime - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Monster 369MB Block Processed on Bitcoin SV - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- Team Behind Bitcoin-Backed Ethereum Token tBTC Explains Shutdown - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Block Generation Speed Falls to 2017 Lows - Cointelegraph - May 23rd, 2020
- You can now bet on Bitcoin or Ethereum with this new priceless token - Decrypt - May 23rd, 2020
- Exposure to -1x the Daily Performance: Bitcoin.com Exchange Adds Inverse Token BTCSHORT | Promoted - Bitcoin News - May 23rd, 2020
- This Metric Shows Bitcoin Is Undervalued Even After 150% Price Rally - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 19th, 2020
- The Fed Is Bitcoins Best Friend - Forbes - May 19th, 2020