Bitcoin (BTC) starts the week pushing for $11,000 as ranging behavior continues, but futures gap danger remains.
Cointelegraph takes a look at five factors that could shape Bitcoin price action in the coming week.
Sunday provided an unexpected boost to Bitcoin after a week of lackluster price performance. This was thanks to an investigation into United States President Donald Trumps tax records, the results of which were published by the New York Times.
The details include just $750 in tax paid by Trump in his election-year 2016, while no further links to Russia a major source of contention at the time.
Nonetheless, the publication could have implications for Trumps chances in the run-up to this years election, and markets will be keenly watching for fresh turbulence.
Trump himself had fought long and hard to keep his tax records secret.
Its totally fake news; made-up, fake, he responded during a White House press conference.
BTC/USD climbed towards $11,000 on Sunday, nonetheless hitting resistance at around $10,950 to return to press-time levels just under $10,900.
That marks the upper end of the cryptocurrencys weekly range, which has failed to produce either a breakout or breakdown outside the zone between $10,000 and $11,000.
BTC/USD 7-day chart. Source: Coin360
Despite not making progress beyond $11,000, however, Bitcoin is still proving bulls right this month.
As noted by various analysts on Sunday, BTC/USD has now spent longer trading above $10,000 than ever before 64 days on Monday.
Anthony Pompliano, the co-founder of Morgan Creek Digital, summarized the mood to cryptocurrency skeptics
Bitcoin has spent a record 63 straight days above $10,000 and is only showing signs of going higher, part of a tweet reads.
The market is proving your bearishness wrong. There is always time to capitulate & join the party.
Others believe that five figures still have a chance of disintegrating. Should support dwindle, the still-open CME Group futures gap at $9,600 remains untested.
In an analysis on Saturday, Cointelegraph Markets analyst Michal van de Poppe highlighted the gap as a likely outcome of a bearish scenario for Bitcoin, with current levels crucial to hold in order to open up the possibility of a push higher.
Still looking stronger than ever, essential Bitcoin network fundamentals continue to highlight miner dedication.
Both weekly average hash rate and difficulty remained bullish as the week began, with difficulty set for a 5.1% increase at the next readjustment in five days time.
The previous adjustment saw a healthy 11.4% increase, underscoring competition among miners for block rewards. At the time, quant analyst PlanB nonetheless described the move as being like clockwork, coming four months after Bitcoins latest block subsidy halving and in line with behavior after previous halvings.
The average hash rate, an imprecise but broadly useful indicator of network support, was meanwhile trending up back towards all-time highs after hitting 143 exahashes per second (EH/s) earlier in September.
Bitcoin 7-day average hash rate 1-month chart. Source: Blockchain
The Trump story had little impact on an essential metric for the U.S. dollar, with which Bitcoin has exhibited strong inverse correlation in recent months.
The U.S. dollar currency index (DXY) stayed steady as the tax story hit, having spent a week climbing higher.
DXY pits USD against a basket of trading partner currencies and has improved its position considerably since mid-September. As Cointelegraph reported, this strongly contributed to downward pressure on BTC/USD. Despite this, Bitcoin has held up better than expected over the past week, suggesting that the relationship to the index may be easing.
U.S. dollar currency index 1-month chart. Source: TradingView
Last week, statistician Willy Woo forecast in advance that Bitcoin would soon leave its ties to traditional markets behind, including other safe havens such as gold.
In the meantime, however, any decisive move in DXY still has the potential to impact Bitcoins price trajectory in the short term.
Bitcoin markets could spend some time grappling with the fallout from South Korean exchange KuCoins major hack, estimated to be the fourth-largest in history.
Totaling $150 million, some of the stolen funds from the exchange subsequently moved to Uniswap, a popular automated market maker, or AMM, used to trade DeFi tokens and other cryptocurrencies.
According to monitoring resource Whale Alert, millions of dollars in various tokens have left the identified sources of stolen funds to Uniswap over the past two days.
The hack did not involve Bitcoin directly, and BTC/USD appeared little shaken by the events something in marked contrast to previous years when hacks often sparked major price volatility.
- Bitcoin analysts explain what's next in the aftermath of BTC plunging to $16.2K - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin loses steam after nearing all-time highs, but trader says it could be on track to $74,000 - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin plunges by nearly $3,000 after closing in on its all-time record - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Veteran Analyst Says BTC Might See Further Correction but 'Prices Have Not Topped' | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Carnivore Cult Is Both Stupid and Correct - CoinDesk - Coindesk - November 28th, 2020
- Ether, XRP and other 'altcoins' rally as bitcoin heads for all-time high - CNBC - November 28th, 2020
- Mike Novogratz: Everyone Should Put 2% to 3% of Their Net Worth in Bitcoin | News - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin price just hit $19,000 for the first time in 3 years - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Will 'money printer go brrr' rob Bitcoin of its all-time high? - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- Why Is Bitcoin's Price Rising? Here Are a Few Possible Answers - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- OKEx Sees Biggest Bitcoin Outflow in 8 Months After Resuming Withdrawals - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin faces this final resistance zone before $20K all-time high - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2020
- EURST Stablecoin Reinvention of the European Economy | Sponsored - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin hopes of record value of over $20,000 dashed after cryptocurrency falls again - Sky News - November 28th, 2020
- Should you invest in Bitcoin and how to do it - Telegraph.co.uk - November 28th, 2020
- Russian Hospitalized After Bitcoin Mining Farm Sets Apartment on Fire - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Researcher Publishes Never Before Seen Emails Between Satoshi Nakamoto and Hal Finney - Bitcoin News - November 28th, 2020
- OKExs Withdrawal Suspension Isnt Behind Bitcoins Rally: Analysts - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - November 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin now has a 7% chance of beating $20K highs in the next 2 months - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- For the first time since 2018 Bitcoin balances on exchanges fell below 2.5M - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin top signal from 2017 reappears, but heres why it may not matter this time - Cointelegraph - October 23rd, 2020
- First Mover: PayPal Rushes In and Bitcoin Breaches $12K, While USDC Gains on Tether - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Macro Investor Dan Tapiero on Crypto Adoption: Emerging Economies Ahead of Developed States | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ban All Ransomware Payments, in Bitcoin or Otherwise - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 23rd, 2020
- Hotel Bitcoin ATMs on the Rise With Addition of Swiss Hotel Dolder Grand | News - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- World Gold Council Survey Shows Cryptocurrency Investment the 5th Most Popular in Russia - Bitcoin News - October 23rd, 2020
- Ethereum Q3 Volume Dwarfs Bitcoin's, Fueled by DeFi - Decrypt - October 23rd, 2020
- Crypto fans rejoice: Bitcoin rallies to the brink of $12,000 - Aljazeera.com - October 23rd, 2020
- 187,000 BTC Drained: Over $2 Billion in Bitcoin Leave the Top Exchanges Since June | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- A Former Goldman Sachs Hedge Fund Chief Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Surge To $1 MillionHeres Why - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin minings future is green, and Russia has the best chance - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Has Bitcoin Finally Met Its Match? - Forbes - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin rips and cruise ships: Bad crypto news of the week - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Where Does Bitcoin Fit in the Global Reserve Currency Game? - CoinDesk - Coindesk - October 19th, 2020
- Enormous wall of money will send Bitcoin to $1M in 2025 Raoul Pal - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin's Intrinsic Value: Crypto Community Responds to Bank of England Governor | News - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Price Ready For a New Pop Will It Do It Today? - InvestingCube - October 19th, 2020
- 'Enormous Wall of Money' Coming Into Bitcoin, Price to Reach $1 Million in 5 Years, Says Raoul Pal - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin and Ripple's XRP - Weekly Technical Analysis October 19th, 2020 - FX Empire - October 19th, 2020
- Blockchain Bites: Bitcoin on Ethereum The Whos, Whats and Whys - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- First Mover: Privacy Is Litecoin's Ace in the Hole as JPMorgan Touts Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 19th, 2020
- Hathor Merge Mining Pool Commands 33% of the Bitcoin Cash Hashrate - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Cashfusion Use Increased by 328%, $200M in BCH Fused and Close to 20,000 Fusions | Privacy - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- The Silk Road Balance Sheet Discrepancy: Bitcoin Worth $4.8 Billion Still Missing | Featured - Bitcoin News - October 19th, 2020
- Bitcoins Taproot is ready to go, but it's unlikely to be included in the next release - Cointelegraph - October 19th, 2020
- How will the US presidential election affect the price of Bitcoin? - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- $12K Bitcoin price back on the table after BTC rallies above $11.4K - Cointelegraph - October 11th, 2020
- Coinbase's 'Mission' Violates the Spirit of Bitcoin - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin: the UK and US are clamping down on crypto trading here's why it's not yet a big deal - The Conversation UK - October 11th, 2020
- Lyn Alden: Bitcoin Correlations Depend on What Phase It Is In - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 11th, 2020
- UK Bans Sale of Crypto Derivatives to Retail Investors from January 2021 | News - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Yearn Finance Token Value Slides 67%, While Locked Value Loses Over $300M | Altcoins - Bitcoin News - October 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin price holds $10.5K but a $30M sell wall looms overhead - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- Bitcoin To Hit $100,000 in Five Years as Demand and Adoption Increase - Report | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Trump, price dots and COVID-19: 5 things to watch in Bitcoin this week - Cointelegraph - October 6th, 2020
- $8M Worth of 'Sleeping' Bitcoin Rewards from 2010 Moved the Day Before 'Black Thursday' - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Interest in Bitcoin Soars in Egypt Amid Economic Crisis and Unemployment | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- A Major Tesla Investor Has Predicted Bitcoin Will Be Worth More Than $1 Trillion In Under 10 Years - Forbes - October 6th, 2020
- Crypto for Congress: Bitcoin Sent to All Congress Members' Campaigns | News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Stacking Satoshis: Leveraging Defi Applications to Earn More Bitcoin | Featured - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- FCA bans the public from Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency derivatives - Evening Standard - October 6th, 2020
- Pro-Crypto PAC Giving $50 in Bitcoin to the Campaign of Each Member of Congress - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 6th, 2020
- Ethereum Transaction Fees Fall 82%, as Defi Hype Eases | Altcoins Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Crypto for Congress sends $50 in Bitcoin to all US Congress members - Crypto News Flash - October 6th, 2020
- Abkhazia Lifts Two-Year Ban on Bitcoin Mining, Moves to Regulate the Sector | Regulation - Bitcoin News - October 6th, 2020
- Why reduced Bitcoin futures volume may signal the start of a new bull trend - Cointelegraph - October 2nd, 2020
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Rebounds to $10.5K; Stablecoin Market Cap Goes Parabolic - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 2nd, 2020
- Spike in new participants buying Bitcoin is obviously bullish Analyst - Cointelegraph - October 2nd, 2020
- Romania set to auction Bitcoin and Ether confiscated in criminal case - Cointelegraph - October 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Balances on Exchanges at 2-Year Low and That May Be a Bullish Sign - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - October 2nd, 2020
- Venezuela To Start Using Cryptocurrency in Global Trade in Efforts To Fend off US Sanctions | Emerging Markets - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Posts a 66-Day Consecutive Streak Above the $10K Price Range | Markets and Prices - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- Aurus Disrupts the Gold Industry Today Its Ecosystem Lists at a Value of $75m | Sponsored - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto's Peer-to-Peer vision for Bitcoin - Korea IT Times - October 2nd, 2020
- Crypto Bets on the US Election Show Joe Biden Winning the Presidency by 60% - Bitcoin News - October 2nd, 2020
- At $10,600, Bitcoin price is on track for its second-best quarter ever - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- Devere Group CEO Predicts Bitcoin Can Replace Gold as Top Safe-Haven Within a Generation | Finance - Bitcoin News - September 30th, 2020
- Ex-CEO of Bitcoin.com, a Leading Proponent of Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Joins Nodle's Board to Help Develop the Nodle Cash Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- One of Hal Finney's lost contributions to Bitcoin Core to be 'resurrected' - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020
- French police arrest terror financing ring that used Bitcoin coupons - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2020