A new, long-term support Java release is just around the corner. As Java passes the 25-year mark, let's step back and look at some of the reasons why Java remains the best programming language for modern software development.
Java also has a very rigid and predictable set of rules that govern code structure. This contrasts starkly with other, untyped scripting languages where it seems like anything goes. When you try to master a new programming language, a clear set of consistently enforced rules makes learning easier.
Furthermore, when things don't make sense, programmers new to Java can find a strong support network of YouTube videos, websites like StackOverflow and online forums like CodeRanch to find answers to a multitude of questions.
The Java API is extensive. The standard JDK comes with over 200 built-in packages containing Java APIs that allow for everything from parsing XML to translating between time zones. When developers add on the Jakarta EE APIs, they have an even more extensive library of APIs that allow for the development of complex, middle-tier applications and cloud-native microservices.
But the rich ecosystem of Java APIs extends far beyond those sanctioned by Oracle or provisioned through Jakarta.
For data persistence, there's the JBoss Hibernate project. For cloud-native microservices development in Java, there's the full suite of Spring Boot APIs. And of course there's a multitude of open source Apache API projects that address a wide range of software development use cases, from aggregating error messages with log4j to solving complicated problems with HashMaps and fail-safe Iterators through the Apache Commons Collections API.
The rich set of Java APIs available to developers aid in the development of strong, error-free applications.
The application development landscape is filled with software development tools written in Java -- by Java developers -- that are designed to simplify and streamline the development, deployment and even decommissioning of Java applications. A few examples of tools written in Java include:
This is by no means an exhaustive list of Java's tool ecosystem. Other examples of tools and technologies written in Java include application servers like Tomcat to Red Hat's popular, Kubernetes-native Java stack named Quarkus.
Few other programming languages enjoy the same level of tooling support that Java does, which helps cement itself as the best programming language.
Android is the world's most popular mobile phone OS and Java is the de facto programming language for Android application development.
While Android's version of Java isn't exactly the same as what you'd find on the JDK, Google did copy over 11,500 lines of code from the Java Standard Edition when they built their Java clone. As a result, developers can expect that the version of Java they see on Android is pretty close to the original.
If you know can write Java code for desktop or server-side applications, you'll pick up Android development very quickly. The low-level differences between the JVM and the Dalvik Android Runtime will all be pleasantly abstracted away from you after a brief learning curve. When developers learn Java, the entire Android ecosystem will be at their disposal.
Java evolves slowly, but it does evolve. With over 25 years of evolution, Java has plenty of evolutionary improvements to be proud about.
From the bulletproof modularity system that was delivered as part of Project Jigsaw, to the recently added ability of functional programming in Java with lambda functions, Java continues to implement big changes that the community demands.
Incremental additions in non-LTS releases, such as the the addition of the new Record data typeand garbage collectors for improved memory management, showcase that the JDK is also constantly evolving.
But in the enterprise software development world, backwards compatibility is just as important as adding new features. Java has always made this a top priority for the stewards of the language. Very rarely does a comprehensive update or feature addition create issues with code written against older releases.
I personally compiled and packaged some complicated code that was written 20 years ago, and it ran without any issues on the latest Java 17 release. When enterprise clients know that things won't break when they perform a JVM upgrade, it gives just another reason why they choose to stick with Java as the best programming language.
View original post here:
5 reasons why Java is still the best programming language - TheServerSide.com
- Pushing to the edge with hybrid cloud - iTWire - October 24th, 2021
- Massive Cloud Drake buffs and Everfrost rework hit the League of Legends Preseason 12 PBE cycle - Sportskeeda - October 24th, 2021
- Digital Etiquette Is Changing. Here Are 7 Ways to Stay Up to Date. - The Wall Street Journal - October 24th, 2021
- 7 Open Source Cloud-Native Tools For Observability and Analysis - Container Journal - October 24th, 2021
- IBM Earnings: Stock Drops as Legacy IT Unit Drags on Revenue - Bloomberg - October 24th, 2021
- Pros and cons of cloud infrastructure types and strategies - Information Age - October 24th, 2021
- AWS admits cloud ain't always the answer, intros on-prem vid-analysing box - The Register - October 24th, 2021
- Bust latency with monitoring practices and tools - TechTarget - October 24th, 2021
- The India Content Delivery Network Market Are Inclining Growth rate More towards OTT-VOD Media Services Rather Than Conventional Cable-Based Services... - October 24th, 2021
- Mercy Ships Sends Out Clear Signal of Hope With Intellian Technology - The Maritime Executive - October 24th, 2021
- Why Microsoft thinks you don't need another free Hyper-V Server SKU - TechRepublic - October 15th, 2021
- Oracle opens Israel cloud centre to withstand rocket attacks - Reuters - October 15th, 2021
- NASA Turns to the Cloud for Help With Next-Generation Earth Missions - NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory - October 15th, 2021
- Google goes all in on hybrid cloud with new portfolio of edge and managed on-prem solutions - TechCrunch - October 15th, 2021
- How to End-to-End Encrypt Your WhatsApp Chat Backups in iCloud - Mac Rumors - October 15th, 2021
- SAP cloud hype leaves its shares in the gutter - Reuters - October 15th, 2021
- Microsoft has crushed the worst DDoS attack its Azure servers have ever encountered - PC Gamer - October 15th, 2021
- Five things to watch October 15: Dell unveils CSP offerings, - Capacity Media - October 15th, 2021
- Overcoming crucial barriers to cloud adoption in the telecommunications sector (Reader Forum) - RCR Wireless News - October 15th, 2021
- Supermicro Expands GPU System Portfolio with Innovative New Servers to Accelerate a Wide Range of AI, HPC, and Cloud Workloads - PRNewswire - October 15th, 2021
- Bare-faced metal-weaving cheek Dell pachyderm moves into RobinIO's 5G telco room Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - October 15th, 2021
- Human hacking increased as apps and browsers moved completely to the cloud - Help Net Security - October 15th, 2021
- The global cloud advertising market size is expected to grow at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 19.6% during the forecast period, to reach USD... - October 15th, 2021
- Cloud Native Computing Foundation Welcomes Record Number of New Silver Members - UpperMichigansSource.com - October 15th, 2021
- Google and Dell offer new tools to help operators manage 5G and the edge - TechRadar - October 15th, 2021
- Azure Emissions Dashboard shows how you and Microsoft are slowly killing the planet with your cloud workloads - The Register - October 15th, 2021
- Cybersecurity practitioners are convinced they need AI now comes the hard part - SecurityBrief Australia - October 15th, 2021
- Qualcomm Fires Shots At Google Over Its Tensor SoC - Android Headlines - October 15th, 2021
- Restore Data in Cloud Computing: The Best Option for You - MarylandReporter.com - MarylandReporter.com - September 27th, 2021
- This self-sustainable cloud server is powered by the energy of growing tomatoes indoor! - Yanko Design - September 27th, 2021
- What IBM i Shops Want From Cloud, And How To Do It Right - IT Jungle - September 27th, 2021
- Server market size to reach $145.31 billion by 2028 - Help Net Security - September 27th, 2021
- Arm Neoverse: Powering the Next-Generation of High-Performance Computing - Eetasia.com - September 27th, 2021
- Unisys Named a Leader in Next-Gen Private and Hybrid Cloud Managed Services by Advisory Firm ISG in the US, UK and Brazil - PRNewswire - September 27th, 2021
- Microsoft cloud storage: is OneDrive or Azure right for your business? - ITProPortal - September 27th, 2021
- Veea Introduces A Breakthrough Smart Computing Hub And An Ultracompact Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Router Product At Qualcomm's Smart Cities Accelerate Global... - September 27th, 2021
- Cloud is hot, and it's only going to get hotter - Channel Asia Singapore - September 27th, 2021
- AMD Scores Its Highest Server CPU Market Share in Years: Report - Tom's Hardware - September 27th, 2021
- Inspur Comes Out on Top with Superior AI Performance in MLPerf Inference V1.1 - Business Wire - September 27th, 2021
- The Best SIEM Tools and Vendors for 2021 and Beyond - Solutions Review - September 27th, 2021
- Micron Technology (MU) Stock Surges 4% In A Five Days: Is It The Best Stock Of The Week? Own Snap - Own Snap - September 27th, 2021
- Executive Roundtable: The Chip Shortage and Data Center Supply Chain - Data Center Frontier - September 27th, 2021
- Ready to move into IT management? Learn the skills you need for a promotion - TechRepublic - September 27th, 2021
- Datto Continuity for Microsoft Azure protects MSPs and their clients' data in the public cloud - Help Net Security - September 15th, 2021
- Cloud adoption on the right track in Hungary - BBJ - Budapest Business Journal - September 15th, 2021
- SentinelOne Secures Amazon EKS Anywhere with SentinelOne Singularity - Business Wire - September 15th, 2021
- IBM Introduces Next Generation IBM Power Server for Hybrid Cloud - Database Trends and Applications - September 15th, 2021
- How to Automatically Delete Backed-up Photos and Videos on Android - The Android Soul - September 15th, 2021
- IBM Cloud Satellite and Lumen Technologies Adapt Rapidly at the Edge - CDOTrends - September 15th, 2021
- The global video analytics market size is expected to grow at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 20.4% during the forecast period, to reach USD... - September 15th, 2021
- Nasuni file sync accelerates ransomware recovery Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - September 15th, 2021
- WhatsApp new feature will allow you to securely back up your chats in iCloud - Thewistle - September 15th, 2021
- The time Animoto almost brought AWS to its knees - TechCrunch - September 6th, 2021
- Server and virtualization business trends to watch in 2021 - TechBullion - September 6th, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE Amazon considers more proactive approach to determining what belongs on its cloud service - Reuters - September 6th, 2021
- How to Move Fast in the Cloud Without Breaking Security - insideBIGDATA - September 6th, 2021
- Automated 'cloud lab' will handle all aspects of daily lab work - E&T Magazine - September 6th, 2021
- The myths behind Linux security. - The CyberWire - September 6th, 2021
- Is the Cloud More Secure Than On Prem? - TechDecisions - September 6th, 2021
- Meet the Self-Hosters, Taking Back the Internet One Server at a Time - VICE - September 6th, 2021
- Google is designing its own Arm-based processors for 2023 Chromebooks report - The Register - September 6th, 2021
- US government warns of error in union - ICT News - The Press Stories - September 6th, 2021
- Emergen Research: Akamai Leads in DNS Market Among Fortune 500 Companies | Increasing Preference for Cloud DNS and Rising Need to Prevent Ddos Attacks... - September 6th, 2021
- More SMBs are shifting IT infrastructure as part of hybrid working plans - ITProPortal - September 6th, 2021
- Intels Best DPU Will Be Commercially Available Someday - The Next Platform - September 6th, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE Microsoft warns thousands of cloud customers of exposed databases - Reuters - August 30th, 2021
- Monday: Hardware & consumption boom, Bitcoin theft, cloud & T-Mobile gaps - Market Research Telecast - August 30th, 2021
- Rethinking Your Tool Chain When Moving Workloads to the Cloud - Virtual-Strategy Magazine - August 30th, 2021
- GraphQL's Emerging Role in Modernization of Monolithic Applications - IT Jungle - August 30th, 2021
- Linux is not invulnerable, here are some top Linux malware in 2021 - Technology Zimbabwe - August 30th, 2021
- Here's Why Nvidia Will Surpass Apple's Valuation In 5 Years - Forbes - August 30th, 2021
- Pure breaches the hyperscaler disk wall Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - August 30th, 2021
- Permission.io partners with Google's cloud marketplace for blockchain transactions and token acquisition - Texasnewstoday.com - August 26th, 2021
- Keysight Solutions Selected by H3C for Peripheral Component Interface Express Compliance Validation and 5G Small Cell Performance Testing - Yahoo... - August 26th, 2021
- Windows Server 2022 Now Available for Evaluation and to Volume License and Azure Customers - Petri.com - August 26th, 2021
- Cloud and the future of healthcare - IT World Canada - August 26th, 2021
- Veeam survey: Big cloud impact on backup and disaster recovery - ComputerWeekly.com - August 26th, 2021
- Google's newest cloud region taken out by 'transient voltage' that rebooted network kit - The Register - August 26th, 2021
- Get to know 8 core cloud team roles and responsibilities - TechTarget - August 26th, 2021
- SolarWinds and the Holiday Bear Campaign: A Case Study for the Classroom - Lawfare - August 26th, 2021