Best cloud computing services
The advent of cloud computing has spawned a huge number of companies offering a slice of their data centres processing power for a fee. This is a huge step forward for small business owners: while previously organizations had to buy and maintain their own physical servers, cloud computing now means that you can get started far more quickly and inexpensively. Processing data in the cloud also means that as your business grows, you can keep up with increased traffic to your server.
In this guide, youll discover some of the very best cloud computing providers on the market today.
Big cloud platform with a personal touch
Public and private cloud platforms
Excellent customer support
Rackspace Cloud is a set of cloud-computing products from the US company Rackspace. Rackspace was founded in 2006. The solution offers web application hosting, platform as a services and cloud services amongst others.
Racksapce allows you to choose a cloud provider with which you can then interact via Rackspaces platform. The service has partnered with major cloud providers such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services and WMware. The advantage of this system is that you have the scalability of some of the biggest cloud providers around but with the customer support of a smaller company.
Rackspace offers a wide range of cloud services. These include public cloud, private cloud, hybrid cloud and multi-cloud. When it comes to their IaaS solution, Rackspace now builds entirely on open source system. This is because it uses the cloud operating system OpenStack.
The public cloud option provides quick and easy access to the IT resources you need. This reduces the cost of datacentre management. This multi-tenant service offers pay as you go scalability which is ideal for users that have heavy or unpredictable traffic.
The private cloud option offers the option of a single tenant environment. This means that servers can run faster due to eliminating the noisy neighbor effect. Private cloud offers dedicated servers for maximum security in and out of your data center. With a private server, the user has greater control. These can be hosted on-site or at a service providers data center.
Rackspace has also created a hybrid cloud which gives access to a combination of both the private and public clouds.
You can sign up to Rackspace for free which includes a technical account manager, security guidance and free server monitoring and reporting. Rackspace has an in-depth guide into their prices. This way you can pick the package that best suits your needs.
Users have mentioned issues with documentation but this is balanced out by excellent service support.
Reasonably priced cloud services from one of the tech masters
Some loading issues
IBM Cloud is a set of cloud computing services offered by the eponymous tech giant IBM. The solution offers platform as a service, software as a service and infrastructure as a service.
IBM Cloud offers a wide range of services. Not all of them are cloud based: it covers both virtual and hardware based servers, composed of public, private and management networks.
As hardware and virtual-based servers are combined into one on demand cloud-platform, you have complete infrastructure control. IBM refer to their hardware servers as bare metal. These provide clients with sole access to their entire server. This reduces the noisy neighbor effect and greatly improves performance.
IBM Cloud is integrated and managed by a single system that can be controlled via web portal, API (Application Programming Interface) or mobile apps.
IBM Clouds Bluemix developing solution has a wide range of cloud SaaS management tools.
IBM Cloud also offers full server customization. This means that everything that is included in the server is handpicked by you. This way you do not have to pay for features that you might never use.
IBM also offer a Lite tier. This has no time limit, will not ask for credit card details and includes 256MB of Cloud Foundry Memory. After this you have the option of the Pay as you Go Tier where you only pay for what you use. The website has a calculator which you can use to estimate costs. If neither of these are suitable, you can contact IBM for a subscription package tailored to suit your needs.
Users have noted a slight delay when loading pages.
Creative cloud computing from one of the big names
Some customer support issues
AWS was founded in 2006. It provides on demand cloud computing to individuals and organizations.
Amazon Web Services is a cloud-based program for building business solutions using integrated web services. AWS offers an extensive range of IaaS and PaaS services. These include Elastic Cloud Compute (EC2), Elastic Beanstalk, Simple Storage Service (S3) and Relational Database Service (RDS)
AWS offers extensive admin controls available via their secure Web client. Users can access a number of features from here including encryption key creation and auditing.
Aws lets you customize infrastructure requirements. This costs far less than if you were set up in your own premises.
Users can also access EC2 we services. This permits you to run and acquire servers as necessary.
AWS has three different pricing models; Pay as you Go, Save when you reserve and Pay less using more. For more information about these, users must contact sale directly.
AWS also offers a free 12-month tier. Once your trial period has expired, you must either choose a paid plan or cancel your AWS subscription.
Some online commenters have complained about difficulties with contacting customer support.
A wide array of services from a tech giant
Windows and Linux compatible
Microsoft Azure was released nearly a decade ago, in 2010. Users can run any service on the cloud or combine it with any existing applications, data centre or infrastructure.
Microsoft Azure provides a wide array of solutions suitable for all types of industry. All your business needs will be taken into consideration. This results in a package better suited for needs.
Azure means there is no need to have physical servers on site. This reduces the usual costs, such as an onsite server support team.
The Azure Migration Centre makes cloud transfers faster and easier. The solution is also compatible with Linux.
Microsoft Azure offers a 12-month free tier which includes access to all popular services, $200 (153.74) credit and over 25 Always Free services. All of Microsoft Azures prices and plans are laid out in great detail on their site. The page includes a cost calculator and a Pay as you go service. Each plan can be tailored to your specific needs.
Some users have noted that the price can be quite high relative to other services.
Elastic and inexpensive cloud computing from the genii of Google
12-month free trial
Setup can be tricky
Google Cloud Platform is Googles cloud service provider. The platform enables users to create business solutions using Google-provided, modular web services. It offers a wide array of services including IaaS and PaaS solutions.
With Google Clouds multi layered secure infrastructure, users can rest assured that anything you build, create, code or store will be protected. This is done through a commitment to transparency and a highly trained team of engineers.
Google Cloud has a variety of tools to ensure consistent performance and management. These include Compute Engine, App Engine, Container Engine, Cloud Storage and Big Query. Google also offers smooth migration to virtual machines with flexible pricing.
There is a free 12-month trial, which includes $300 (230.62) towards all services and products offered by Google Cloud Platform.
Some online commenters have mentioned that setup can be difficult for beginners.
We've covered the biggest names in cloud computing services, not least AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, and IBM Cloud and of course Rackspace Cloud which works with each of them. However, there are a number of other major cloud computing providers worth considering, which we'll highlight here.
Oracle Cloud is another of the biggest names in cloud computing, delivering a wide range of hosted IT services, all of which provide an empowering base to develop a cloud presence without investing in hardware you may not need. The service list is comprehensive, with Oracle Cloud providing Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). Oracle also offers 3,500 hours of free use so you can try before you buy.
Alibaba Cloud is another significant player in the market and one everyone overlooks. However, Alibaba boasts a truly comprehensive range of services via its elastic computing, database services, networking, and CDN solutions. It also offers a free trial covering 16 products, while advertising another 20 or more as "always free". In addition to that, the company also gives you a $300 (230) credit for trying out its services.
Digital Realty runs one of the world's biggest independent data center networks, which makes it ideally placed as a cloud provider. More than this, its Service Exchange can deliver hybrid cloud solutions which means you can integrate features from AWS, Google, Microsoft, and Oracle into a single portal. This enables you to get the best of all worlds in a simplified way that's easier to self-manage.
Equinix Cloud follows a similar model, in which a major data center operator is able to leverage its global network to provide flexible access to a range of hybrid cloud options. Because you're directly connecting with the data center, you can bypass normal internet security risks, providing for more secure operations.
Cloud Linux isn't so much a cloud computing provider, but rather a cloud platform you can build across your own servers. This means that if you'd prefer to have tight control over your cloud network rather than going with third-parties, you can host it yourself. While this presents a different set of challenges, it also offers a range of benefits, especially for those companies already heavily invested in their own IT infrastructure.
- Unlocking the Key to the Cloud - Security Boulevard - January 23rd, 2020
- What is the difference between SaaS and Cloud Computing - WhaTech - January 23rd, 2020
- Cloud Database and Database as a Service (DBaaS) Market Analysis on Top Key Vendors, Revenue Growth and Business Development Forecast 2017-2025 -... - January 23rd, 2020
- Helsinki-based UpCloud raises 18 million to rapidly grow its team and cloud computing services - Tech.eu - January 23rd, 2020
- Nextcloud Hub takes on Google Docs and Office 365 - ZDNet - January 23rd, 2020
- Google Cloud Run: What every IT Ops team should know - TechBeacon - January 23rd, 2020
- Microsoft's Nadella On Why The Future Is All About Cloud; Buyers Are Into TikTok's Self-Serve Ad Platform - AdExchanger - January 23rd, 2020
- Why Many Tech Companies are Turning to the Hybrid Cloud to Tackle Today's Business Challenges - Data Center Frontier - January 23rd, 2020
- Global Cloud Server Market 2020 By Analysis -Worldwide Opportunities, Revenue, Production, Demand and Geographical Forecast To 2025 Dagoretti News -... - January 23rd, 2020
- The trillionaires club: How big data, cloud and AI are powering the tech economy - SiliconANGLE - January 23rd, 2020
- Nebulon gets less nebulous, aims to replace SAN and hyperconverged storage - Blocks and Files - January 23rd, 2020
- Global Private Cloud Server Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Competitive Analysis And Forecast 2020-2025 - Expedition 99 - Expedition 99 - January 23rd, 2020
- Experts discuss industry response to multicloud - IT Brief New Zealand - January 23rd, 2020
- Data Governance And Smart Cities Are Helping Improve Quality Of Life In Japan - Forbes - January 23rd, 2020
- The Benefits of Identity Management for Healthcare Businesses - Solutions Review - January 23rd, 2020
- How the cloud went from 0 to 100 in ten years - Express Computer - January 23rd, 2020
- Suspect Wanted in May Shooting Arrested in St. Cloud - WJON News - January 23rd, 2020
- Wyze data leak: Key takeaways from server mistake that exposed information from 2.4M customers - GeekWire - January 1st, 2020
- Conquering the Cyber Security Challenges of the Cloud - CPO Magazine - January 1st, 2020
- City of Cottonwood now a certified sustainable business | Sedona.Biz - The Internet Voice of Sedona and The Verde Valley - Sedona.biz - January 1st, 2020
- A restaurant server got a massive tip and it is helping to change her life - KFOR Oklahoma City - January 1st, 2020
- Cloud Hopper Attacks Far More Extensive than First Thought - CloudWedge - January 1st, 2020
- 2019: The Year in Hyperscale - Data Center Frontier - January 1st, 2020
- Using the Windows Admin Center Azure services feature - TechTarget - January 1st, 2020
- Privacy scare leads Wyze to unpair all devices from Google Assistant and Alexa, you'll need to add them back (Update: Further responses) - Android... - January 1st, 2020
- 5 top tech predictions for 2020 and beyond - BusinessTech - January 1st, 2020
- Exposed databases are as bad as data breaches, and they're not going anywhere - CNET - December 28th, 2019
- From bookstore to cloud hosting: How Amazon 'took the lead' in the technology world - CBC.ca - December 28th, 2019
- Bare Metal Cloud Market Future Aspect Analysis and Current Trends by 2017 to 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 28th, 2019
- Microsoft Stock Is Floating on a Cloud - Investorplace.com - December 28th, 2019
- How Important Is The Intelligent Cloud Segment To Microsofts Stock? - Forbes - December 28th, 2019
- Privacy scare leads Wyze to unpair all devices from Google Assistant and Alexa, you'll need to add them back - Android Police - December 28th, 2019
- To protect data and code in the age of hybrid cloud, you can always turn to Intel SGX - The Register - December 28th, 2019
- The silver lining in cloud for financial institutions - ITProPortal - December 28th, 2019
- Server Microprocessor Market Projected to Grow at an Impressive CAGR Of XX% Between 2017 2027 Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - December 28th, 2019
- Listen to the boomers - or cloud could make you go bust - ITProPortal - December 28th, 2019
- Dr. Max Welling on Federated Learning and Bayesian Thinking - Synced - December 28th, 2019
- 7 crackpot technologies that might transform IT - CIO East Africa - December 28th, 2019
- Over 750,000 Applications for Copies of US Birth Certificates Left Exposed Online - Security Boulevard - December 14th, 2019
- For Cloud-native App Security, Few Companies Have Embraced DevSecOps - Security Boulevard - December 14th, 2019
- Amping Up The Arm Server Roadmap - The Next Platform - December 14th, 2019
- Over 750,000 Applications for US Birth Certificates Left Exposed Online - Security Boulevard - December 14th, 2019
- AWS outperforms rivals in test of cloud capabilities - TechRepublic - December 14th, 2019
- Hyperscale operators accounted for a third of all data center spending in first three quarters of 2019 - FierceTelecom - December 14th, 2019
- IoT news of the week for Dec. 13, 2019 - Stacey on IoT - December 14th, 2019
- Data Sovereignty: The imperative for action - DatacenterDynamics - December 14th, 2019
- Google Transfer Service makes moving your data to the cloud easier than ever - ITProPortal - December 14th, 2019
- Why Middle East startups are choosing the cloud - Khaleej Times - December 14th, 2019
- The 10 Hottest New Business And Enterprise Servers Of 2019 - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 14th, 2019
- Pulseway Introduces the All New, Integrated Cloud Backup Solution - PR Web - December 14th, 2019
- Edge predictions for 2020: From SD-WAN and cloud interconnection to security - Small Business - December 14th, 2019
- Broadcom Launches Another Tomahawk Into The Datacenter - The Next Platform - December 14th, 2019
- Four Technologies That Are Changing The Way We Do Business - TechShout! - December 14th, 2019
- Meet the power players behind Microsoft's Azure cloud - Business Insider - December 8th, 2019
- Hyperscale Data Center Market - Global Outlook and Forecast 2019-2024: Adoption of Cloud-based Services and & Big Data Driving Hyperscale Data... - December 8th, 2019
- Inside Intel's billion-dollar transformation in the age of AI - Fast Company - December 8th, 2019
- Amazon's cloud business bombards the market with dozens of new features as it looks to preserve its lead - CNBC - December 8th, 2019
- What is Infrastructure-as-a-Service? Everything you need to know about IaaS - TechRadar - December 8th, 2019
- Report: Growing HCI Space Boosted by Cloud, AI - Virtualization Review - December 8th, 2019
- 20 VPS providers to shut down on Monday, giving customers two days to save their data - ZDNet - December 8th, 2019
- How AWS Plans to Speed Up the Cloud - Toolbox - December 8th, 2019
- Finally: AWS Gives Servers A Real Shot In The Arm - The Next Platform - December 8th, 2019
- 5 Top Features of the Cloud that can Benefit Your Small Business - Atlanta Small Business Network - December 8th, 2019
- Once-Reticent Utilities Accelerating Move to the Cloud - Transmission & Distribution World - December 8th, 2019
- Ampere preps an 80-core Arm processor for the cloud - Network World - December 8th, 2019
- Cisco Down Two Execs As One Reportedly Jumps To John Chambers-Backed Pensando - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - December 8th, 2019
- Meet CIMON-2, a new and improved robotic AI astronaut - Astronomy Magazine - December 8th, 2019
- Qualcomms Snapdragon Tech Summit focuses on 5G AI chips and use cases - VentureBeat - December 8th, 2019
- Are All Russian Mobile Apps Really a Potential Counterintelligence Threat? This is What the Experts Say - Newsweek - December 8th, 2019
- Overcome these VMware Cloud on AWS migration challenges - TechTarget - December 8th, 2019
- Aptiv To Unveil Open Source Advanced Technology Architecture - Forbes - December 8th, 2019
- Bitcoin Ichimoku Cloud Analysis BTC Price Prediction When To Buy Bitcoin? - Nasdaq - December 8th, 2019
- FBI classifies FaceApp as counterintelligence threat, citing ties to Russian intelligence | TheHill - The Hill - December 2nd, 2019
- Tech co. with Glasgow office merges, rebrands - Delaware Business Times - December 2nd, 2019
- Gatsby Cloud and its Impact on the Headless CMS Space - CMSWire - December 2nd, 2019
- This Holiday Season, Give Your Data Center Manager the Gift of Clarity - Data Economy - December 2nd, 2019
- Unsecured Server with Private Data from Millions of SMS Messages Found Online - Security Boulevard - December 2nd, 2019
- Media Giant Meredith Corporation Selects Nasuni To Help Move Traditional On-Premises File Infrastructure To Amazon Web Services - PRNewswire - December 2nd, 2019
- Encapulsation means application migration is no longer the blocker to digital transformation - Business MattersBusiness Matters - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Server Market by 2023 Worldwide Growth Opportunities Recent Trends Forecast by Types and Application to 2023 - Space Market Research - December 2nd, 2019