The current period of disruption and transformation in the global infrastructure market has opened doors to misleading supplier marketing, leaving CIOs and IT leaders susceptible to false expectations of what modern infrastructure can offer. Misunderstanding these propositions can cost businesses money, so the first step in this disruptive environment is to dispel some common myths around modern infrastructure.
Cloudis a style of computing where scalable and elastic IT-related capabilities use internet technologies to provide as-a-service to customers. Dont think of the cloud as a location, but rather as a new computing paradigm where loosely coupled services come together to form applications. It is fundamentally different from traditional IT infrastructure.
There are many reasons why applications or data cannot be moved to public cloud infrastructure, including regulatory compliance, latency, the need for offline access, and more. But many organisations still want the cloud model, just in theirdatacentresor at the edge. The question becomes whether you want to buy turnkey services from a provider or build your own.
Now that cloud-first is the expected approach, CIOs should ask:
Historically, IT organisations built their owninfrastructure. They bought servers, storage and network switches often from three different suppliers and assembled everything themselves. But today that is usually unnecessary. You can simply buy a turnkey, ready-made infrastructure stack with little or no assembly required.
One way to do this is to move to the public cloud but its not the only way. Integrated systems including converged, hyper-converged, dedicated and composable infrastructure bring the benefits of prebuilt infrastructure to the datacentre and edge.
Then there is distributed cloud, where hyperscale public cloud providers place a substation of their infrastructure at your site to make their native services available to applications and data running in your datacentre. In this way, it is now possible to acquire on-premise infrastructure as a service (IaaS) and platform as a service (PaaS) directly from your public cloud provider.
Compare the cost-value benefit you will get from building the infrastructure versus buying it from a supplier. Will the new system integrate with your existing IT environment, or will it increase costs more than it will create value?
Automation is at the core of changes happening in infrastructure and operations (I&O). It is no longer optional. It is a response to the increasing scale and complexity of modern, distributed infrastructures, which cannot be managed without it.
However, many IT organisations pursue automation in the mistaken belief that it will save them money. Many organisations want to reduce infrastructure spending, often by reducing headcount they expect automation to replace manual effort and the people doing it. This is unlikely.
Infrastructure automation initiatives tend to shift costs, not reduce them. This is still highly valuable, because the time and money are put to better use on more valuable projects. But infrastructure automation typically doesnt lead to actual cash savings.
The near-term goal of infrastructure automation is efficiency gains, followed by productivity improvements. Cost savings, if they happen at all, will occur in the latter stages of the project.
Quantify the benefits of automation. For example, calculate whether the number of deployments has improved because of automation. Ideally, they should increase, and the error rates should also be low. This can make more room for innovation another benefit that infrastructure automation can provide.
Some suppliers claim to offer autonomous infrastructure powered by artificial intelligence (AI) that replaces manual operations (and maybe human operators). But these claims never withstand scrutiny.
Artificial intelligence for operations (AIOps) serves as decision support for human operators, and in that role, it can be quite valuable. For example, machine learning algorithms can comb through huge volumes of data, finding correlations that a human never could. So AIOps excels at predictive analytics, such as pinpointing when resources will be exhausted or helping to identify the root cause of failures.
AIOps tools can even execute predefined routines in response to certain conditions presuming a human being devises a solution to a problem, writes code to execute that solution, and defines exactly when and how the AIOps tool is permitted to run that code. AIOps cannot devise a solution independently or fix the problems it finds without human intervention.
The reality is that most enterprise IT organisations are simply not equipped to make the transition to modern infrastructure and operating models. Many veteran I&O staff still lack expertise with new technologies. There are new skills to be acquired, new roles to navigate and new responsibilities to take on. In many IT organisations, the lack of skills has reached crisis levels.
Somemodernisationinitiatives have already floundered for want of skilled engineers and architects.
Gartner data consistently shows labour shortages at the top of the job market because there arent enough people with modern skills. Infrastructure as code, Kubernetes, DevOps, AI and cloud infrastructure are the skills in highest demand for I&O technical professionals. But it may not be feasible to hire outside experts to fill these gaps because candidates with these skills are rare and expensive.
As it gets more difficult to hire skilled personnel and as they command ever higher salaries IT organisations will need to grow skills internally. These skills are best developed as part of a systematic talent enablement programme, which identifies and prioritises the highest-value skills to the IT organisation.
This enables opportunities for direct mentorship and hands-on experience that classroom training or individual research don't deliver. It can also provide a real-world interface between theoretical knowledge and practical experience. Investing in these programmes benefits both the IT organisation and the individual employee.
In short, dont buy into the hype. Craft your modern IT infrastructure strategy by keeping in mind the business outcome you are pursuing. Assess the data supporting your choice and best practices in the industry to then lock in your modern IT infrastructure strategy.
View original post here:
Dispelling the top five myths of modern infrastructure - ComputerWeekly.com
- Blackline Safety : What is the cloud and why should businesses care about cloud-connected safety? - marketscreener.com - January 22nd, 2022
- DataHEALTH, Inc. Begins Notification of Cybersecurity Incident - PRNewswire - January 22nd, 2022
- Data Centers Must Rethink Interconnection in Order to Evolve - Data Center Frontier - January 22nd, 2022
- Onlive Server Launched Canada VPS Hosting with Upto 48 CPU CORE and Cloud VPS Control Panel - Digital Journal - January 22nd, 2022
- Gartner: IT spending forecast points to skills rebalance - ComputerWeekly.com - January 22nd, 2022
- IBM is selling off its Watson Health assets - Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News - January 22nd, 2022
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Focusing on Trends and Innovations during the Period 2021 to 2027 Discovery Sports Media - Discovery Sports Media - January 22nd, 2022
- Why COVIDtests.gov worked where HealthCare.gov stumbled - FedScoop - January 22nd, 2022
- VTEX : 5 benefits of SaaS and a cloud commerce ecosystem - marketscreener.com - January 22nd, 2022
- Ford and ADT team up to prevent theft from vehicles - TechCrunch - January 22nd, 2022
- Patent Awarded to Nanoprecise Sci Corp for its Automated Predictive Maintenance Solution - PR Newswire India - January 22nd, 2022
- Recent Analysis on Cloud Hosting Service Market 2022-2028 Top Trends, Business Opportunity, and Growth Strategy LSMedia - LSMedia - January 22nd, 2022
- Google Project Iris AR Headset in the Works, May Feature In-House Processor: Report - Gadgets 360 - January 22nd, 2022
- Cyber Security in 2022: What Should You Know? - GISuser.com - January 22nd, 2022
- Cellular connectivity: the final piece of the IoT puzzle - ITProPortal - January 22nd, 2022
- The opportunities and challenges of data center industry in 2022 - Analytics India Magazine - January 16th, 2022
- The rising threat of cyber criminals targeting cloud infrastructure in 2022 - Help Net Security - January 16th, 2022
- Strata Identity Hosts Complimentary Webinar Featuring ESG Analyst on Identity and Policy Management for Multi-Cloud in 2022 - Business Wire - January 16th, 2022
- ISG to Conduct Study on Private and Hybrid Cloud Providers - StreetInsider.com - January 16th, 2022
- Strengthening the availability chain - ITProPortal - January 16th, 2022
- NordVPN launches open source VPN speed testing tool - IT PRO - January 16th, 2022
- Emby vs Plex: Which media server is right for you? - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - January 16th, 2022
- Nutanix Rajiv Ramaswami On His First Year As CEO - Forbes - January 16th, 2022
- ThycoticCentrify adds new security controls and automation to Secret Server - SecurityBrief Asia - January 16th, 2022
- PCIe 6.0 is here with double the bandwidth at 128Gbps - comments - GSMArena.com - January 16th, 2022
- 'Our servers are secure' -- NIMC responds as hacker claims he gained access to NIN database - TheCable - January 16th, 2022
- How this Mumbai startup is carving a niche for itself in the crowded ecommerce delivery space - YourStory - January 16th, 2022
- What begins with a 'B' and is having problems at tsoHost? Hopefully not your website - The Register - January 12th, 2022
- Sensory Extends Voice and Visual AI Platform to the Cloud - Voicebot.ai - January 12th, 2022
- How these 3 Companies Leverage the Hybrid Cloud - TechGenix - January 12th, 2022
- Multi-cloud security doesn't have to be complicated, just consistent - IT-Online - January 12th, 2022
- Podcast: why the future of data management sits in the cloud - Central Banking - January 12th, 2022
- Streaming Analytics Market worth $50.1 billion by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2022
- Growing Technical Advancements in DevOps Technologies and Their Rising Demand for Optimizing Business Operations to Drive the Global DevOps Market by... - January 12th, 2022
- Data Center Market to Grow by USD 519.34 Bn | Adoption of Multi-cloud and Network Upgrades to Support 5G will Drive Growth | Technavio - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2022
- From 1920s to 2020s: Get ready for a new Roaring Twenties - Big Think - January 12th, 2022
- Post Pandemic: Cloud Adoption Needs to Be Accelerated - APN News - January 12th, 2022
- 2 Growth Stocks That Could Double Your Money in 5 Years - Motley Fool - January 12th, 2022
- The Future of Records & Compliance With Optimere CEO ICYMI - Government Technology - January 12th, 2022
- Why Banks Are Slow to Embrace Cloud Computing - The New York Times - January 4th, 2022
- How I fell into the self-hosting rabbit hole in 2021 - Windows Central - January 4th, 2022
- The future of web hosting: 5 things to look out for in 2022 - TechRadar - January 4th, 2022
- New Connectivity Is Bringing Roads Up to Speed - Wired.co.uk - January 4th, 2022
- Healthcare for the new normal world reimagined with digital analytics at the core - ETHealthworld.com - January 4th, 2022
- Opinion: White Renegade of the Year 2021 Gregory Hood - Prescott eNews - January 4th, 2022
- Best of 2021 Why Kubernetes is the King of Containerized Tools - Container Journal - December 27th, 2021
- Cloud and Edge Computing Will Be Key for Government Agencies in 2022 - StateTech Magazine - December 27th, 2021
- Cloud Security Market 2021: Industry Size, Regions, Emerging Trends, Growth Insights, Opportunities, and Forecast By 2027 mainlander.nz -... - December 27th, 2021
- iOS 15.2 Makes it Easier to Replace the Screen on the iPhone 13 - iDrop News - December 27th, 2021
- 4-Year-Old Bug in Azure App Service Exposed Hundreds of Source Code Repositories - The Hacker News - December 27th, 2021
- Top 5 Best Free Linux Cloud Servers  - December 22nd, 2021
- phoenixNAP and MemVerge to Enable Memory Virtualization in Bare Metal Cloud - HPCwire - December 22nd, 2021
- AWS outages and cloud computing, explained - Popular Science - December 22nd, 2021
- How the Cloud Helps With Medical Research and Remote Medicine - Business Insider - December 22nd, 2021
- Contributed | The role of the Cloud in digital transformation - DIGIT.FYI - December 22nd, 2021
- Cloud Security Market 2021 is Expected to be on Course to Achieve Considerable Growth to 2027 mainlander.nz - mainlander.nz - December 22nd, 2021
- How Tripwire Can Be a Partner on Your Zero Trust Journey - tripwire.com - December 22nd, 2021
- Top Cloud Computing Trends Shaping Our IT Landscape in 2022 - CRN - India - CRN.in - December 22nd, 2021
- Medelln Campus writes the future of worldwide industrial automation - Intelligent CIO ME - December 22nd, 2021
- How Kubernetes lowers costs and automates IT department work - The Register - December 22nd, 2021
- 3 Top Trends to Invest in for 2022 (and Beyond) - Motley Fool - December 22nd, 2021
- What Agencies Need to Do to Combat Shadow IT Driven by Cloud Sprawl - Nextgov - December 12th, 2021
- Nvidia CEO Huang jointly files patent for software tech in the metaverse - The Register - December 12th, 2021
- Truly thrifty cloud hosting - Hetzner Online GmbH - December 5th, 2021
- These researchers wanted to test cloud security. They were shocked by what they found - ZDNet - December 5th, 2021
- What Is The Cloud And Where Is It Used? - Fossbytes - December 5th, 2021
- JetBrains starts adding remote dev functionality on IDEs and introduces Fleet - ZDNet - December 5th, 2021
- Your iPhones best trick is tucked away inside Photos app do you know it?... - The Sun - December 5th, 2021
- Tech Investment Alert: Check Out Top Five Tech Stocks Today - Analytics Insight - December 5th, 2021
- Tencent Cloud and AMD Join Forces to Launch StarLake Servers in Southeast Asia - HPCwire - December 3rd, 2021
- A Climate Dystopia Displayed at the UMOCA with 'the weight of a cloud' - Daily Utah Chronicle - December 3rd, 2021
- AWS Announced General Availability of Elastic Disaster Recovery - InfoQ.com - December 3rd, 2021
- The Benefits of Using a Share File Server in Education - eLearningInside News - eLearningInside News - December 3rd, 2021
- 5 questions for Mark Mills on the cloud revolution - Washington Examiner - December 3rd, 2021
- Inspur Information Impresses in AI Performance with 7 Titles in MLPerf Training v1.1 - Business Wire - December 3rd, 2021
- How Secure Is iMessage? | Leaked FBI Document Reveals the Truth - iDrop News - December 3rd, 2021
- Netweb Technologies Bags Award from MeitY in Contribution to the Manufacturing Sector - News Nation - December 3rd, 2021
- FTC is Suing NVIDIA to Stop Its $40B Acquisition of Arm Amidst Concerns of Potential Reliance from Rival Firms Should Deal Push Through - Tech Times - December 3rd, 2021
- Securing the edge server infrastructure from the ground up - The Register - December 3rd, 2021
- VPS Hosting | Free SSD VPS Server Trial | Windows VPS ... - November 22nd, 2021