There is a constant stream of innovation happening in storage technology, and the hyperconverged infrastructure (HCI) market is leading the way
According to this report, the HCI market is expected to be worth $17.1 billion by 2023. This projected growth could be put down to the myriad of advantages that HCI offers, including single-pane-of-glass management, reduced rackspace and power which means greener data centres, and improved disaster recovery capabilities to list a few.
Logically, the next step for HCI in accelerating its evolution has been its move to the edge of the network. As the demand for supercharged instances of data-use is growing, such as artificial intelligence (AI), its not surprising that enterprises are looking to edge computing and HCI to enable them to capture data from the very start of their projects. By combining edge computing with HCI, businesses can enable their AI tools to make more intelligent decisions.
With the days of pen and paper behind us, digitalisation has become a necessity across industries. As a result, we are creating a tonne of data, which of course needs to be stored somewhere. More often than not, this data is stored on-site at the edge of a network not your traditional data centre architecture.
One key benefit of edge computing is that it takes up a lot less hardware space than traditional hardware storage. By deploying this infrastructure at the edge of the network, it has the ability to not only handle and compile the data, but also compress the large amount of data so that it can be easily transferred into the cloud or into a centralised data centre at another site. This method grants access for the data to be handled and reviewed closer to where it was created, rather than trying to transmit it further away. This is why edge computing is often used by various distributed enterprises like fast-food restaurants, supermarkets, and petrol stations, as well as industrial surroundings like mines and solar energy plants.
Data collated at the edge of the network is not always being utilised to its full capacity. AI, for example, albeit still at the beginning of its journey, requires vast quantities of resources to develop and train its models. However, with edge computing the data is able to move freely into the cloud. From there the data can be analysed and the AI models can be trained before then extending it back to the edge. The best way for AI to be optimally used to generate these models is to make use of the data centre or the cloud.
Take the silicon chip company, Cerebras, which dedicates its work to accelerating deep learning. It has recently introduced its new Wafer Scale Engine which has been purposefully built for deep learning. This new chip is incredibly fast and 56 times bigger than the largest Graphics Processing Unit. Despite its grand size however, it does mean that its power consumption is at such a high capacity that most edge deployments would not be able to handle it.
That said, there is still hope, as businesses are able to amalgamate edge computing tasks using hyper converged infrastructure, enabling them to build and make the most of data lakes. By placing the data within a data lake, companies are able to use this to analyse it against all applications. The machine learning aspect is also able to unveil new insights through the use of its shared data against the diverse applications and devices.
When thinking about edge computing, HCI has made it much easier to use by combining servers, storage, and networking all in one box. Not to mention, it doesnt face the configuration or networking issues it previously had. To add to this, the platform can administer integrated management for a high quantity of edge devices located in different parts of the country, with various forms of networks and interfaces, and thereby undoubtedly decrease operational expenses.
The surge in use cases for things like smart home devices, self-driving cars, and wearable technology means that AI is already prevalent in our everyday lives. According to Gartner, AI will continue to flourish with 80% of smart devices to contain on-device AI capabilities by 2022.
However, AIs data collection does come up against a problem, because most of the technology powering it is hugely reliant on the cloud, and therefore can only come to a conclusion based on the data it has access to in the cloud. This results in a delayed response because the data first has to travel to the cloud, before heading back to the device. In the case of technologies like self-driving cars, which require instantaneous decision-making, any lag could result in huge complications.
In this scenario, edge computing has one up on the cloud and the potential to take AI to the next level. Any data required for that AI application is able to reside in close proximity to the device, therefore increasing the speed in which it is able to access and process the data. AI devices which are dependent on data conversion benefit the most from this application because they wont always be able to connect to the cloud, as it requires access to bandwidth and network availability.
Another advantage of combining edge computing with HCI for AI is that it requires a smaller amount of storage space. The best operational feature about HCI is that technology is able to function, within a smaller hardware design. It will soon be commonplace to find companies launching highly available HCI edge compute clusters which are comparable to the size of a cup of tea.
If AI is to truly succeed, it will need to depend on HCI and edge computing to work together side by side, allowing AI to function on its own merit, and with minimal support. AI will be able to make the most of its deep learning asset, as well as improve its ability to make better decisions.
AI has the ability to be accessible to the vast majority thanks to technological advances in the cloud. However, it is the marriage of HCI and edge computing that will provide AI with the means it needs to surge into new territories, providing more intelligent and efficient methods to find a solution for all companies.
Follow this link:
Enabling AI with edge computing and HCI - Techerati
- How Tencent is bringing the storm clouds to arch-rival Alibaba - Tech Wire Asia - July 6th, 2020
- Unsecured servers leaked data of millions of users of dating sites and apps - TEISS - July 6th, 2020
- How Ather Energy is leveraging the Cloud to build and scale smart mobility solutions for India - YourStory - July 6th, 2020
- Nextcloud, the open source platform that allows you to install and configure your own personal cloud on a web server - Explica - July 6th, 2020
- The Chinese Government is Accessing YOUR Network Through the Backdoor and There Still is NO Place to Hide - China Law Blog - July 6th, 2020
- Scientific Thinking: Processes, methods, and approaches with reference to Deep Tech - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily... - July 6th, 2020
- 5 Best VPNs to consider in 2020 - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - July 6th, 2020
- Huawei Rotating Chairman Highlights Practices and Prospects of 5G in Digital Transformation for Industries at GSMA Thrive - Al-Bawaba - July 5th, 2020
- AIOps and the evolution of IT infrastructure monitoring - IT Brief Australia - July 5th, 2020
- 360Quadrants Releases Top 10 Cloud Computing Software In 2020 edited by leading research firm - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - July 5th, 2020
- How to Watch Netflix With NordVPN: Does it Work in 2020 ? - Cloudwards - July 5th, 2020
- Migrating SaaS to Cloud: How to do it without disruption - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - July 4th, 2020
- SaaS Company OWNZONES is Keeping the Post-Production Industry in Motion During the Coronavirus Pandemic - Programming Insider - July 4th, 2020
- Huawei Rotating Chairman Highlights Practices and Prospects of 5G - MENAFN.COM - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Server Market Research Report, Segment by Industry Player, Type, Application, Global Marketing Channel, and Region 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- 5 Ways the Cloud Can Benefit Your Business During the Pandemic - Entrepreneur - July 4th, 2020
- Gulf economies to shrink by 7.6% this year, says IMF - Arab News - July 4th, 2020
- Hyperion Forecast Headwinds in 2020 Won't Stifle Cloud HPC Adoption or Arm's Rise - HPCwire - July 4th, 2020
- Intel Forced To Stop Supplying Chips To Chinese Inspur Cloud Server Manufacturer - Research Snipers - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Market Size and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- AIOps and the evolution of IT infrastructure monitoring - IT Brief New Zealand - July 4th, 2020
- The Global Virtualization in Industrial Automation Market is expected to grow by $ 216.39 mn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 4% during the... - July 4th, 2020
- Boeing 737 MAX certification flight tests to begin - Arab News - July 4th, 2020
- Edge Computing Is A Red-Hot Tech Trend, Here's How To Invest in It - TheStreet - June 27th, 2020
- Docker servers infected with DDoS malware in extremely rare attacks - ZDNet - June 27th, 2020
- Nebulon emerges with software-defined storage, but from the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's New 128-Core Altra CPU Targets Intel, AMD In The Cloud - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud IT Infrastructure Spending Continued to Grow in Q1 2020 While Spending on Non-Cloud Environments Saw Double-Digit Declines, According to IDC -... - June 27th, 2020
- Empowering Edge Cloud in the 5G & IoT Hyper-Connected Era - insideHPC - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's 128-Core Processor Challenges Intel and AMD in a Cloud-Based Processor Showdown - News - All About Circuits - June 27th, 2020
- This Ransomware Campaign is Being Orchestrated from the Cloud - Computer Business Review - June 27th, 2020
- Ad industry spots money in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 27th, 2020
- Want to work at Microsoft? Dice.com looks at top jobs, skills the tech giant is looking for - OnMSFT - June 27th, 2020
- The Winston-Salem Symphony Announces Newly Elected Directors - Yes! Weekly - June 27th, 2020
- The Best VPNs for Businesses and Teams - PCMag.com - June 27th, 2020
- NexTech AR Solutions tie-up with Fastly cloud platform leads to video security breakthrough - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 27th, 2020
- Moving to the cloud: Migrating Blazegraph to Amazon Neptune - idk.dev - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud-Based Automation Is a Reality; Now What? - Radio World - Radio World - June 27th, 2020
- How Azure, AWS, Google handle data destruction in the cloud - TechTarget - June 27th, 2020
- AMD EPYC Processor Adoption Expands with New Supercomputing and High-Performance Cloud Computing System Wins - GlobeNewswire - June 27th, 2020
- What it Means To Be Software-Defined in Retail and How We Got Here - Retail Info Systems News - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast- 2025 - Cole... - June 27th, 2020
- Why This Cloud ETF Can Keep up its Torrid Pace - ETF Trends - June 20th, 2020
- FaceApp Privacy: What You Need To Know About The Viral Russian App - Forbes - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud flash storage: SSD options from AWS, Azure and GCP - ComputerWeekly.com - June 20th, 2020
- Could the European Cloud Deliver Data Protection by Default? - CPO Magazine - June 20th, 2020
- Private Cloud Server Market How the Business Will Grow in 2026? - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- How to Profit from the Growing Divide in Tech Stocks. - Barron's - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Education Sector Market Size, Growth, Analysis, Outlook by 2019 Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Lenovo announces ThinkSystem SR860 V2 and SR850 V2 servers - Gadgets Now - June 20th, 2020
- Here are 8 career options that are least impacted by recessions - Business Standard - June 20th, 2020
- Everything your business needs to know about VPS - Tom's Guide - June 20th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Collaboration Software Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027) - WorldsTrend - June 20th, 2020
- AWS claims to have blocked the largest DDoS attack in history - Cloud Pro - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud Office Migration Tool Market to Grow at Robust 17.8% CAGR to 2027 AvePoint, Binarytree, BitTitan, CodeTwo sp. z oo sp. k - Personal Injury... - June 20th, 2020
- Healthcare Cloud Computing Market to Witness Robust Expansion by 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- Renowned French Cloud, storage, computing and AI solution providers Actualis, has today formally rebranded to become part of the Boston Group of... - June 20th, 2020
- Startups, here's what you should know about telcos - CTech - June 18th, 2020
- US buildings firm saves big on HDDs with Nasuni cloud NAS - ComputerWeekly.com - June 18th, 2020
- Uptycs Announces $30 Million in Funding to Deliver Next-Generation Security Analytics - AiThority - June 18th, 2020
- Keeping Your Cloud-based Office Safe And Secure - ISBuzz News - June 18th, 2020
- Pensando positioned as high-performance alternative to cloud provider 'lock-in' - SiliconANGLE - June 18th, 2020
- How M&E organisations can enable remote work with cloud-based video and animation production studios - ITProPortal - June 18th, 2020
- Ampere donates Arm64 server hardware to Debian to fortify the Arm ecosystem - Stockhouse - June 18th, 2020
- Kia Motors partners with Google Cloud to develop AI-based owner's manual app - Automotive World - June 18th, 2020
- Function-as-a-Service Market Recent Trends, Development, Growth and Forecast 2017-2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 18th, 2020
- How Lenovo, Cellnex, Nearby Computing Are Delivering on the Edge - eWeek - June 18th, 2020
- Dell Technologies Shifts AI Adoption into the Fast Lane with Simplified Advanced Computing - CXOToday.com - June 18th, 2020
- AWS mitigated a record-breaking 2.3 Tbps DDoS attack in February - SiliconANGLE - June 18th, 2020
- Deluxe Revolutionizes Distribution of Content to Theaters with Cloud-Based IP Delivery Solution through Deluxe One Platform - HostReview.com - June 18th, 2020
- Report: France and Germany team up on a cloud-computing ecosystem to take on Amazon, Microsoft and Google - FierceTelecom - June 6th, 2020
- Dive into the history of server hardware - TechTarget - June 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact ON Private Cloud Server Market : What is the projected sales growth for 2026? - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- NextCloud gets bigger and better with Nextcloud Hub 19 - ZDNet - June 6th, 2020
- Micron Has the Potential to Rise 50% From Here - TheStreet - June 6th, 2020
- Kofax Partners with Microsoft to Enhance Cloud-Based Universal Print Solution with ControlSuite - Industry Analysts Inc - June 6th, 2020
- Dell and Intel answer the call for AI by building specific solutions for real problems - SiliconANGLE - June 6th, 2020
- Data Protection As A Service Market Projection of Each Major Segment over the Forecast Period - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- PAM as a Service: Its All a Matter of Trust - Security Boulevard - June 2nd, 2020
- How To Best Adapt Your Business When The World Is Moving Online - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020