JetBrains has begun separating the front and back ends of its IDEs to allow developers to have the interface on one machine, but have the source code, toolchain, and IDE backend on another.
Using the new JetBrains Gateway IDE launcher, the connection to the remote machine is via SSH and currently only supports Linux physical and virtual machines as servers.
"The JetBrains Client runs locally and provides the user interface for the IDE backend. It's based on the IntelliJ Platform and feels just like a full IntelliJ-based IDE -- it has the same editor, code completion, navigation, inspections, and refactoring tools as a local IDE, but all of the files are hosted remotely and all of the language processing is done on the remote server," the company said in a blog post.
"Remote development is a great way to make use of powerful cloud-based servers, create reproducible, clean development environments, and avoid the nightmare of losing a laptop full of important source code."
Other restrictions on remote development include only being available on IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, and not the free community edition, as well as users plugins needing to be installed both locally and remotely.
"We are working on the ability to install plugins remotely from JetBrains Client," the company said.
Gateway is bundled with IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, PyCharm Professional, GoLand, PhpStorm, and RubyMine, and is able to be used standalone with CLion and WebStorm.
At the same time, JetBrains dipped its toe into the world of lightweight editors with a limited preview of Fleet, which it said has been "built from scratch with a new architecture".
Opening as a text editor, once its smart mode is enabled, Fleet will connect to an IntelliJ IDEA or Language Server Protocol-based backend depending on the language, to provide functionality such as refactoring, highlighting, completion, and type information. Fleet can also be used for collaborative development with multiple clients able to connect to the same backend.
Fleet with smart mode enabled.
Additonally, JetBrains has also launched Docker development environments in its Space tool that run on JetBrains servers.
"Space lets you prepare the backend for work, cloning the Git repo, building project indexes, and resolving dependencies for you," JetBrains said.
"It will seem as if someone has come to the office an hour before you, turned your computer on, and opened the project in the IDE and prepared everything for you. So you can get your day off to a great start and begin working in a 100% ready IDE."
If users do not use an environment for 30 minutes, the container is automatically shut down, with unsaved changes being saved. The Containers are currently only able to support one repository.
Virtual machines are currently offered in 4, 8, and 16 core configurations with 8, 16, and 32GB of memory respectively, with pricing set at $0.40, $0.80, and $1.60 per hour, and storage of the environment charged at $0.008 per hour.
The developer environments can be accessed with an IDE supported by Gateway, or with Fleet.
- Blackline Safety : What is the cloud and why should businesses care about cloud-connected safety? - marketscreener.com - January 22nd, 2022
- DataHEALTH, Inc. Begins Notification of Cybersecurity Incident - PRNewswire - January 22nd, 2022
- Data Centers Must Rethink Interconnection in Order to Evolve - Data Center Frontier - January 22nd, 2022
- Onlive Server Launched Canada VPS Hosting with Upto 48 CPU CORE and Cloud VPS Control Panel - Digital Journal - January 22nd, 2022
- Gartner: IT spending forecast points to skills rebalance - ComputerWeekly.com - January 22nd, 2022
- IBM is selling off its Watson Health assets - Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News - January 22nd, 2022
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Focusing on Trends and Innovations during the Period 2021 to 2027 Discovery Sports Media - Discovery Sports Media - January 22nd, 2022
- Why COVIDtests.gov worked where HealthCare.gov stumbled - FedScoop - January 22nd, 2022
- VTEX : 5 benefits of SaaS and a cloud commerce ecosystem - marketscreener.com - January 22nd, 2022
- Ford and ADT team up to prevent theft from vehicles - TechCrunch - January 22nd, 2022
- Patent Awarded to Nanoprecise Sci Corp for its Automated Predictive Maintenance Solution - PR Newswire India - January 22nd, 2022
- Recent Analysis on Cloud Hosting Service Market 2022-2028 Top Trends, Business Opportunity, and Growth Strategy LSMedia - LSMedia - January 22nd, 2022
- Google Project Iris AR Headset in the Works, May Feature In-House Processor: Report - Gadgets 360 - January 22nd, 2022
- Cyber Security in 2022: What Should You Know? - GISuser.com - January 22nd, 2022
- Cellular connectivity: the final piece of the IoT puzzle - ITProPortal - January 22nd, 2022
- The opportunities and challenges of data center industry in 2022 - Analytics India Magazine - January 16th, 2022
- The rising threat of cyber criminals targeting cloud infrastructure in 2022 - Help Net Security - January 16th, 2022
- Strata Identity Hosts Complimentary Webinar Featuring ESG Analyst on Identity and Policy Management for Multi-Cloud in 2022 - Business Wire - January 16th, 2022
- ISG to Conduct Study on Private and Hybrid Cloud Providers - StreetInsider.com - January 16th, 2022
- Strengthening the availability chain - ITProPortal - January 16th, 2022
- NordVPN launches open source VPN speed testing tool - IT PRO - January 16th, 2022
- Emby vs Plex: Which media server is right for you? - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - January 16th, 2022
- Nutanix Rajiv Ramaswami On His First Year As CEO - Forbes - January 16th, 2022
- ThycoticCentrify adds new security controls and automation to Secret Server - SecurityBrief Asia - January 16th, 2022
- PCIe 6.0 is here with double the bandwidth at 128Gbps - comments - GSMArena.com - January 16th, 2022
- 'Our servers are secure' -- NIMC responds as hacker claims he gained access to NIN database - TheCable - January 16th, 2022
- How this Mumbai startup is carving a niche for itself in the crowded ecommerce delivery space - YourStory - January 16th, 2022
- What begins with a 'B' and is having problems at tsoHost? Hopefully not your website - The Register - January 12th, 2022
- Sensory Extends Voice and Visual AI Platform to the Cloud - Voicebot.ai - January 12th, 2022
- How these 3 Companies Leverage the Hybrid Cloud - TechGenix - January 12th, 2022
- Multi-cloud security doesn't have to be complicated, just consistent - IT-Online - January 12th, 2022
- Podcast: why the future of data management sits in the cloud - Central Banking - January 12th, 2022
- Streaming Analytics Market worth $50.1 billion by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2022
- Growing Technical Advancements in DevOps Technologies and Their Rising Demand for Optimizing Business Operations to Drive the Global DevOps Market by... - January 12th, 2022
- Data Center Market to Grow by USD 519.34 Bn | Adoption of Multi-cloud and Network Upgrades to Support 5G will Drive Growth | Technavio - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2022
- From 1920s to 2020s: Get ready for a new Roaring Twenties - Big Think - January 12th, 2022
- Post Pandemic: Cloud Adoption Needs to Be Accelerated - APN News - January 12th, 2022
- 2 Growth Stocks That Could Double Your Money in 5 Years - Motley Fool - January 12th, 2022
- Dispelling the top five myths of modern infrastructure - ComputerWeekly.com - January 12th, 2022
- The Future of Records & Compliance With Optimere CEO ICYMI - Government Technology - January 12th, 2022
- Why Banks Are Slow to Embrace Cloud Computing - The New York Times - January 4th, 2022
- How I fell into the self-hosting rabbit hole in 2021 - Windows Central - January 4th, 2022
- The future of web hosting: 5 things to look out for in 2022 - TechRadar - January 4th, 2022
- New Connectivity Is Bringing Roads Up to Speed - Wired.co.uk - January 4th, 2022
- Healthcare for the new normal world reimagined with digital analytics at the core - ETHealthworld.com - January 4th, 2022
- Opinion: White Renegade of the Year 2021 Gregory Hood - Prescott eNews - January 4th, 2022
- Best of 2021 Why Kubernetes is the King of Containerized Tools - Container Journal - December 27th, 2021
- Cloud and Edge Computing Will Be Key for Government Agencies in 2022 - StateTech Magazine - December 27th, 2021
- Cloud Security Market 2021: Industry Size, Regions, Emerging Trends, Growth Insights, Opportunities, and Forecast By 2027 mainlander.nz -... - December 27th, 2021
- iOS 15.2 Makes it Easier to Replace the Screen on the iPhone 13 - iDrop News - December 27th, 2021
- 4-Year-Old Bug in Azure App Service Exposed Hundreds of Source Code Repositories - The Hacker News - December 27th, 2021
- Top 5 Best Free Linux Cloud Servers  - December 22nd, 2021
- phoenixNAP and MemVerge to Enable Memory Virtualization in Bare Metal Cloud - HPCwire - December 22nd, 2021
- AWS outages and cloud computing, explained - Popular Science - December 22nd, 2021
- How the Cloud Helps With Medical Research and Remote Medicine - Business Insider - December 22nd, 2021
- Contributed | The role of the Cloud in digital transformation - DIGIT.FYI - December 22nd, 2021
- Cloud Security Market 2021 is Expected to be on Course to Achieve Considerable Growth to 2027 mainlander.nz - mainlander.nz - December 22nd, 2021
- How Tripwire Can Be a Partner on Your Zero Trust Journey - tripwire.com - December 22nd, 2021
- Top Cloud Computing Trends Shaping Our IT Landscape in 2022 - CRN - India - CRN.in - December 22nd, 2021
- Medelln Campus writes the future of worldwide industrial automation - Intelligent CIO ME - December 22nd, 2021
- How Kubernetes lowers costs and automates IT department work - The Register - December 22nd, 2021
- 3 Top Trends to Invest in for 2022 (and Beyond) - Motley Fool - December 22nd, 2021
- What Agencies Need to Do to Combat Shadow IT Driven by Cloud Sprawl - Nextgov - December 12th, 2021
- Nvidia CEO Huang jointly files patent for software tech in the metaverse - The Register - December 12th, 2021
- Truly thrifty cloud hosting - Hetzner Online GmbH - December 5th, 2021
- These researchers wanted to test cloud security. They were shocked by what they found - ZDNet - December 5th, 2021
- What Is The Cloud And Where Is It Used? - Fossbytes - December 5th, 2021
- Your iPhones best trick is tucked away inside Photos app do you know it?... - The Sun - December 5th, 2021
- Tech Investment Alert: Check Out Top Five Tech Stocks Today - Analytics Insight - December 5th, 2021
- Tencent Cloud and AMD Join Forces to Launch StarLake Servers in Southeast Asia - HPCwire - December 3rd, 2021
- A Climate Dystopia Displayed at the UMOCA with 'the weight of a cloud' - Daily Utah Chronicle - December 3rd, 2021
- AWS Announced General Availability of Elastic Disaster Recovery - InfoQ.com - December 3rd, 2021
- The Benefits of Using a Share File Server in Education - eLearningInside News - eLearningInside News - December 3rd, 2021
- 5 questions for Mark Mills on the cloud revolution - Washington Examiner - December 3rd, 2021
- Inspur Information Impresses in AI Performance with 7 Titles in MLPerf Training v1.1 - Business Wire - December 3rd, 2021
- How Secure Is iMessage? | Leaked FBI Document Reveals the Truth - iDrop News - December 3rd, 2021
- Netweb Technologies Bags Award from MeitY in Contribution to the Manufacturing Sector - News Nation - December 3rd, 2021
- FTC is Suing NVIDIA to Stop Its $40B Acquisition of Arm Amidst Concerns of Potential Reliance from Rival Firms Should Deal Push Through - Tech Times - December 3rd, 2021
- Securing the edge server infrastructure from the ground up - The Register - December 3rd, 2021
- VPS Hosting | Free SSD VPS Server Trial | Windows VPS ... - November 22nd, 2021